Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th August 2009, 14:32   #361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Warming up while stationary will affect the overall FE figure. Manufacturers now recommend that you drive off as soon as the engine starts and to go easy on the acceleration for the first few minutes.
Hi Ravveendrra

I guess it is still a good idea to keep the engine at idling after it is started and before turning it off.

Maybe it does affect the FE a little bit but also helps the turbo perform at its optimum.

Here is the post posted by tsk1979 in GTO's Punto review thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1424288

I was wrong in linking the "idling" to "FE" !! But I guess I am not wrong on the habit

Cheers

Amogh
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2009, 17:06   #362
Senior - BHPian

Hi Amogh,

I have seen that post and have posted my reaction there. A 30 second run before moving is a good idea. Unfortunately, I got confused by the term 'warm-up'.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 20:04   #363
BHPian

Default Rusted body parts

Hi folks

i happen to go for the inspection of MJD GP allotted for me at Nerul, Navi Mumbai, and happen to see EXACTLY the same problem what amogh faced in his car...

I shall be able to upload the pic soon, but its almost the same as what he saw....

thanks to this thread, and the PDI checklist ,my shock level was really not that high!

spoke to the salesperson, and got a very cold response from the guy. He said he can get the request made for the new one , but then he said that even that 'may' have the same problem since it was a 'normal occurrence'...

Incidently, i spoke to the General Manager of Fiat, though he came across as a more sensible and level headed person ( not surprising for a person holding that post), but to my utter surprise, he said he will show me 10 other cars, which would have the same issue, seemingly because the 'weather' in mumbai would require a more than 'normal' coat of that anti rust coating'. He said not just FIAT, he can take me to any other car dealership, including Honda, Maruti et al. and all would have the same issue...

I've been following this thread since long, and would like to ask what should be the ideal way to go about it ? amogh were you happy with the replacement that you got?

Is there a way one can approach consumer court if Fiat is claiming to get the anti-rust coating done, and still giving a 'RUSTED' part as a brand new vehicle equipment? what's the point of that Manual which boasts of highest quality anti rust coating?

would appreciate your feedback, since right now, i've just paid the advance booking amount, and the rest of the procedures as still to be done...

r
pineapple_ameet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 08:29   #364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple_ameet View Post
He said not just FIAT, he can take me to any other car dealership, including Honda, Maruti et al. and all would have the same issue...

would appreciate your feedback, since right now, i've just paid the advance booking amount, and the rest of the procedures as still to be done...
r
If it is of any consolation to you, my Swift had this surface rust when I bought it, on certain drive-train components(parts around the front disc). My new Fiat Punto has it as well. I didn't think it to be a problem, so never bothered. I think it is because of the rainy season - moisture in the air, but this should not cause any problem in the operation of the car.

Having said that, it is your car, your money. If this will ruin your peace of mind, ask them to give you another piece(maybe you need to go to Ranjangaon and get one straight out of the assembly line), or buy another car, which hopefully does not have this surface rust.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 10:23   #365
BHPian

Hi Kuttapan
thanks for your revert
" or buy another car, which hopefully does not have this surface rust."

That's what is the concern that am trying to raise over here... why should a 'premium' Hatch, which obviously is charging a premium for the quality product it claims to be has to have an element of 'rust'...in a brand new car???

I can guarantee that none of these brands, if they were to operate the same way in other countries, would have even had a chance to survive if they were to even think of giving a brand new 'rusted' car, no matter how insignificant the part was.

if one has to say that then the costings would have deferred as well. well, you have 3 variants to choose from in terms of the various gadgets ( active , emotion, e pack ), why not provide a 'seriously performing' anti rust coating and charge for it, am sure there must be takers of that like how i would do.

its only in India, i feel they can even say that its 'normal' to have rusted body part on 'day 0' of your car, and can actually convince people to still buy it as is!
Old 12th August 2009, 10:50   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
If it is of any consolation to you, my Swift had this surface rust when I bought it, on certain drive-train components(parts around the front disc). My new Fiat Punto has it as well. I didn't think it to be a problem, so never bothered. I think it is because of the rainy season - moisture in the air, but this should not cause any problem in the operation of the car.
Kuttapan - what you are referring to are cast iron parts in Swift near thefront disc brakes, you will also find these parts near the rear wheel and some transmission coverings.

These will rust the next day they are out of the casting unless they are coated with a thick coat of paint. As these parts are not visible to our eyes and they don't cause any problem because of rusting they are not painted by the car manufacturers and it is absolutely safe to drive in such cars.
DieselFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 11:17   #367
Senior - BHPian

Ameet, if your alloted car has the same rusted parts as in Amogh's first car, ask your dealer to give you another new peice.
If the dealer is not ready to oblige, escalate the same to Fiat.

Also it will be good if you can post some pics of those rusted portion.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 15:03   #368
Senior - BHPian

Hi Amogh,

My friend is almost finalized on Linea Petrol Emotion Pk. The dealer in Pune (BUB) is giving only 8K as Corporate Disc. And may be 3K in insurance which he has quoted as 21K. Also freebies we will get only floor mats and mud flaps.

Do you think we can push him more for corporate disc or something else?
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 17:35   #369

good ownership review / thread Amogh, I will be booking a GP soon, (waiting for Ganpati) Pundit is close to where I stay, so thinking of Pundit... I will sync up with you once the Color and fuel type is fixed, going by the thread you seem to be the "Punyatlya Punto cha Raja" so will seek your expertise. Keep the good posts coming!
mundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 22:54   #370
BHPian

Default Rusted body parts

sorry for bad picture quality , but here are the pics clicked by my cell phone, of the allotted vehicle (GP)i happen to check...
Name:  DSC00134.jpg
Views: 1503
Size:  452.3 KB
Name:  DSC00135.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  400.6 KB

amogh, if u're reading this, shall be mailing you the same as well...shall wait for the email id's as discussed!
Old 14th August 2009, 21:01   #371
BHPian

hey guys! look at this on a newly delivered fiesta !

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1432543
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 21:40   #372
BHPian

yeah. sunil, compared to the rust on that Fiesta, the one on this Punto is nothing.

Just curious, is it normal to expect this rust on all cars.
Or maybe both these cars in question have been waiting in some open yard and due to weather conditions the rust has come in.
neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2009, 21:51   #373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
yeah. sunil, compared to the rust on that Fiesta, the one on this Punto is nothing.

Just curious, is it normal to expect this rust on all cars.
Or maybe both these cars in question have been waiting in some open yard and due to weather conditions the rust has come in.
rust on cast iron parts is normal. its natures own way or rather the metals natural way of protecting it from further corrosion. rust is merely oxidation. corrosion is when the metal starts getting eaten up by rust and disintegrating. oxidation will always be there where there is moisture and oxygen.!

try this test: keep a blade in the open rain for 24 hours. you will see oxidation thats brownish in colour this is not rust. this actually protects the metal below it from any damage. however if the blade is left there for a few days it corrodes due to the effect of environmental salts and that is called corrosion.

hence many manufacturers dont give rust protection. they do corrosion protection!
Sunilrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 00:18   #374
BHPian

I fully agree with Sunilrj.

Rust on cast iron parts are normal. Infact components within few days of receipt from the foundry can have rusted surface. The best example is railway tracks & wheels if not used for few days you will find rust on them. But this does not harm the tracks or the wheels. We should be worried only if the components start getting corroded.

However companies should have got atleast the exposed parts of the components painted. The whole component cannot be painted as there will be areas with very close tolerances in the dimensions.

Solution to this problem I feel is ask the dealer to get underbody dinitrol or any other treatment free.
kiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2009, 00:44   #375
BHPian

these are moving parts and painting them is useless. Under working conditions, they would not rust. Also, the rust does seem to be superficial only. few hundred kms would get these parts back to shape.

You can always refuse to accept this piece and go for 'better' (only mentallY, not technically) piece.

This rusting is natural for every iron piece in this world and protection cannot be offered for everything. Calling FIAT an inferior manufacturer is unnecessary i think.
Comrade is offline   Reply With Quote