Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th September 2009, 22:58   #421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mundi View Post
my Punto is a Black MJD E+
@mundi

Black Punto looks amazing. Congrats. Hows your experience so far?
gautomobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 19:38   #422
BHPian

Its not available with dealers in Bangalore....
Help anybody, if any info about availability here!!
manjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 14:28   #423
BHPian

Default 4000 km update

All right fellows,

It is time I came up with a good review of my Punto. Otherwise my thread is only full of congratulatory messages, rusted under parts pictures and discussions about "rusting"

Now that the car has completed 4000 kms and the first servicing is done, I thought this was a good time to update my thread (And given the fact that today is a holiday, I had absolutely no reason to delay this long pending exercise any further !!)

A lot has been written about the Punto in various other threads. What I am writing here is my experience as I have had it. I am not going to get into comparisons. What you read is what I have experienced. PERIOD !!

What I LIKE about the car:
1. The "inviting" feeling. This car just makes you feel like driving. The sporty looks, the "hugging" front seats, muscular steering wheel and the well laid out dash. Perfect combination of engineering & art.
2. Ride quality & handling : SUPERB
3. Fuel efficiency : Worst I have got is 15.6 km/lit in city. City + Highway combined hovers around the 17.8 to 18.5 km/lit mark. Best I have got on highway is 24.9 km/lit. All these figures are with the air conditioning constantly on.
4. Build Quality : I had to experience an accident to know how solidly built this car is.
5. Horn !!
6. Blue & Me
7. Tear drop shaped headlights
8. The Goodyear GT3's : GOOD set of wheels these !! I drove a Emotion fitted with Bridgestones and the ride quality was same. I don't see the need to change the stock wheels.
9. Stability at top speed : I drove at 150-160 km/hr and the car stays GLUED to the road.
10. Seats & Lumbar support : Amazing seats. They hug you and the comfort offered over long drives is fabulous.

What I DONT LIKE about the car: (Not in any particular order. This is just a generic list where I am writing down points as I remember them)
1. Foot hitting the steering rack when the clutch is fully pressed.
2. Reflection of the Menu, Fog lamp buttons panel in the right ORVM. This is only at night when the backlight of the buttons is on.
3. Turning radius
4. Stock speakers are a big turn off. (I have switched to JBL's at the front)
5. Interior quality of plastics : especially the area near the ignition. Thankfully, nothing has fallen off yet.
6. Door beading.
7. Fiat should have given a "DIESEL" sticker on the fuel lid. Bunk operators think it is a petrol car !!
8. A,B & C Pillars blocking vision (sometimes)
9. Pathetic reverse light !!
10. Emotion Pack deserved a centre arm rest

Other points:
A lot has been said about Punto being noisy. After crossing 3000 kms, the engine becomes a lot more refined and silent. I also went for oil change during the first service and I now feel that I am driving a totally different car. Prospective owners, don't worry about the engine noise too much. As the car runs in, the engine does become increasingly refined and silent. And not only me, many owners have reported the same observation.

Have used Garware film for the rear glass and door windows. Have not yet filmed the windshield. Ohh .. and I love the fact that a song is paused when you press the "mute" button on the steering.

Overall : this is one hell of a car. Brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. That is what a car is supposed to do right ?

Last edited by amoghchaphalkar : 13th October 2009 at 14:39. Reason: typo
amoghchaphalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 16:34   #424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
What I LIKE about the car:
1. The "inviting" feeling. This car just makes you feel like driving. The sporty looks, the "hugging" front seats, muscular steering wheel and the well laid out dash. Perfect combination of engineering & art.
I can see your love for your car when you say that. However, I think the seats are far from hugging - You need to experience some better cars to realize what hugging seats mean. In fact, I hate the front seats. I am 5'8" and it does not suit my frame at all. Fiat must have made it for really tall people.

Quote:
2. Ride quality & handling : SUPERB
The number 1 reason I went for this car. This car just eats up broken roads, but the ground clearance does not lend itself to use on severely potholed roads, underside scrapes badly, at anything more than snail pace.

Quote:
3. Fuel efficiency : Worst I have got is 15.6 km/lit in city. City + Highway combined hovers around the 17.8 to 18.5 km/lit mark. Best I have got on highway is 24.9 km/lit. All these figures are with the air conditioning constantly on.
You should take part in some economy competition. My usual city mileage is 12-13 kmpl with A/c on and lots of idling, best highway mileage so far has been 19 kmpl. Of course, driving styles matter.

Quote:
4. Build Quality : I had to experience an accident to know how solidly built this car is.
5. Horn !!
6. Blue & Me
7. Tear drop shaped headlights
8. The Goodyear GT3's : GOOD set of wheels these !! I drove a Emotion fitted with Bridgestones and the ride quality was same. I don't see the need to change the stock wheels.
9. Stability at top speed : I drove at 150-160 km/hr and the car stays GLUED to the road.
10. Seats & Lumbar support : Amazing seats. They hug you and the comfort offered over long drives is fabulous.
Agree with all , except the seat part. But I believe rear seats are comfy, but didn't have chance to use them, though.

Quote:
What I DONT LIKE about the car: (Not in any particular order. This is just a generic list where I am writing down points as I remember them)
1. Foot hitting the steering rack when the clutch is fully pressed.
2. Reflection of the Menu, Fog lamp buttons panel in the right ORVM. This is only at night when the backlight of the buttons is on.
3. Turning radius
4. Stock speakers are a big turn off. (I have switched to JBL's at the front)
5. Interior quality of plastics : especially the area near the ignition. Thankfully, nothing has fallen off yet.
6. Door beading.
7. Fiat should have given a "DIESEL" sticker on the fuel lid. Bunk operators think it is a petrol car !!
8. A,B & C Pillars blocking vision (sometimes)
9. Pathetic reverse light !!
I have somehow never felt point number 1, but reflection - yes, it's annoying. Stock speakers are Ok for my kind of listening. Plastics are an eyesore, you should see the carbon fibre finish plastics on the Australian Punto to see what could have been.. Screw the plastic suppliers, Tata or FIAT vendors, whoever they are.

Reverse light is definitely pathetic, especially as only one is provided nowadays, keeping in line with international standards.

Point 10 is a real omission as well.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 17:26   #425
Senior - BHPian

Nice review.
Can reverse light be replaced with a better one?
Did you check with anyone for that?
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 17:44   #426
BHPian

Quote:
Overall : this is one hell of a car. Brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. That is what a car is supposed to do right ?
Absolutely! Ultimately, this is what matters. Congrats again!
AnonymousCoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 20:35   #427
BHPian

Quote:
I can see your love for your car when you say that. However, I think the seats are far from hugging - You need to experience some better cars to realize what hugging seats mean. In fact, I hate the front seats. I am 5'8" and it does not suit my frame at all. Fiat must have made it for really tall people.
My take - I am 5'7" and I like the seats. Sure it ain't business class like my Camry but these are good for certain. I drive 80km daily and there is no fatigue.

Quote:
The number 1 reason I went for this car. This car just eats up broken roads, but the ground clearance does not lend itself to use on severely potholed roads, underside scrapes badly, at anything more than snail pace.
Can't comment. I get usual potholed roads but nothing very severe for the majority of my drive.

Quote:
You should take part in some economy competition. My usual city mileage is 12-13 kmpl with A/c on and lots of idling, best highway mileage so far has been 19 kmpl. Of course, driving styles matter.
With Kuttapan on this one. How do you manage such good FE?

Quote:
Stock speakers are Ok for my kind of listening. Plastics are an eyesore, you should see the carbon fibre finish plastics on the Australian Punto to see what could have been. Screw the plastic suppliers, Tata or FIAT vendors, whoever they are.
I found the radio annoying to listen to on stock speakers. No equalizer settings help. However, listening to my 384KBPS MP3 was a different deal altogether. Sound was good and I could tweak the equalizers nicely for good listening pleasure.

Quote:
+1 to this. !!!!!

Last edited by aarenes : 13th October 2009 at 20:38.
aarenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 20:57   #428
Senior - BHPian

Great review bro!

I did find the C-Pillar somewhat irritating. Thankfully I depend much more on the ORVMs.

How much did the service cost you in total?

@FE figures

IMO Amogh's figures are good but not shocking as some might find. I think the MJD is pretty capable on this front.
It does require a certain style of driving, but definitely not difficult.
EssYouWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2009, 22:06   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttapan View Post
Of the three cars I regularly drive (Punto, Innova & Octavia) : I find Punto's seats the best. My basis for this statement is the amount of back pain I experience after a long drive. I have a bit of a bad back, but I don't feel any pain after a long drive in the Punto.

Quote:
Well, quite a few MJD Punto's have reported figures similar to mine. So I am a little surprised to see your low FE figures. But yes, I have to mention here that I had to fine tune my driving style to achieve decent FE figures. I did this by keeping the MID on Instantaneous consumption mode and observing the fuel consumption figures.

Quote:
Screw the plastic suppliers, Tata or FIAT vendors, whoever they are.
Absolutely with you on that one !! I hope FIAT has taken the feedback and is acting on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Nice review.
Can reverse light be replaced with a better one?
Did you check with anyone for that?
No : haven't checked yet. I am just managing to live with it.
Old 13th October 2009, 22:42   #430
BHPian

Quote:
All right fellows,

wow .. thats awesome! more or less similar to what Amit reported in his thread

Quote:
how was the NVH at these speeds?

Quote:
will it be avbl as an accessory at some point?

Quote:
I'm sure it is - only a coupla more months to go before I drive her home!
royalcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 15:18   #431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of the three cars I regularly drive (Punto, Innova & Octavia) : I find Punto's seats the best. My basis for this statement is the amount of back pain I experience after a long drive. I have a bit of a bad back, but I don't feel any pain after a long drive in the Punto.
My Swift used to give me back pain in the initial days after long drives, but went away when my back got used to the seat.. I have only done some 2500 odd km on the car so far, and while the seats have not become comfortable yet, there has been absolutely no back pain. I guess I have just been spoilt by some of the nicer cars I drove and sat in, which had really hugging and comfortable seats. Let me defer my take on this for another 10k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar;
Well, quite a few MJD Punto's have reported figures similar to mine. So I am a little surprised to see your low FE figures. But yes, I have to mention here that I had to fine tune my driving style to achieve decent FE figures. I did this by keeping the MID on Instantaneous consumption mode and observing the fuel consumption figures.
Tried that, and that definitely works, but the car loses the punch, as you have to feather the accelerator for really good instantaneous FE figures. I realised that the accelerator calibration in Punto is done with FE in mind and you have to really step on the gas for it to fly. Heavy right foot never translates into good figures, dooes it? But I am happy with what I get.
kuttapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2009, 19:42   #432
BHPian

Default Fuel efficiency update

Just wanted to give a small update about FE

This time I filled up BP Normal Diesel. Usually I use IOC Normal Diesel. BP is my second choice. This was the first time I filled BP in my Punto.

The fuel efficiency achieved so far is 17.7 km/lit. The trip reading (since I filled the tank) is 535 km and I still have more than 1/4th tank left before I refuel.

@royalcruiser
Quote:
will it be avbl as an accessory at some point?
It is already available as an accessory. I am going to get it fitted very soon and will upload the pics.
Quote:
how was the NVH at these speeds?
I had music playing in the car so I cannot comment. But all I can say is the car has become pretty quite than what it was earlier.
Old 18th October 2009, 19:57   #433
BHPian

Quote:
It is already available as an accessory. I am going to get it fitted very soon and will upload the pics.
Where did you get the arm rest? I'm seriously thinking about ordering one from Ebay UK..

I just bought a Red MJD E + last week, and the turning radius has been a big turn off. Even our Octavia was far better than the Punto.

Please post pictures when you get it fitted...
krreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2009, 00:12   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krreddy View Post
Where did you get the arm rest? I'm seriously thinking about ordering one from Ebay UK..

I just bought a Red MJD E + last week, and the turning radius has been a big turn off. Even our Octavia was far better than the Punto.

Please post pictures when you get it fitted...
The arm rest I am talking about is Swift's arm rest. It fits in the Punto perfectly.

We have something in common here : Octavia & Punto.

I don't know if you are aware : but the Octavia & Punto have the same turning radius : 5.4 mtr.

But yes : I agree with you. It does feel that the Octavia turns in much tighter than the Punto. But I think Punto's large turning radius seems even "larger" for two reasons
1. The steering is weighty
2. The car being a hatchback one expects it to turn in quickly & sharply
Old 19th October 2009, 07:50   #435
BHPian

Quote:
The arm rest I am talking about is Swift's arm rest. It fits in the Punto perfectly.

We have something in common here : Octavia & Punto.

I don't know if you are aware : but the Octavia & Punto have the same turning radius : 5.4 mtr.

But yes : I agree with you. It does feel that the Octavia turns in much tighter than the Punto. But I think Punto's large turning radius seems even "larger" for two reasons
1. The steering is weighty
2. The car being a hatchback one expects it to turn in quickly & sharply
Too bad it's been totaled. Check out the damage (and repair costs) at

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-pics-257.html

Anyhow how much did the swift arm rest cost? Did you buy it at a Maruti Suzuki service center?
krreddy is offline   Reply With Quote