Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 9th November 2009, 20:30   #646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Unni, its good that you posted now, I was about to post a 'Thank You' note here, the SMS tips and timely checks what you have done in our trip was really appreciated. As you hinted, the private bus drivers enroute are real pain on the wrong side, specially the ones who come on your track in full speed without any indication.
I used to frequent that route a lot and hence the tips. Glad to know that those were of some help. Have you ever played Road Rash? There are times when I've wished we could just kick those guys like in the game!!

Quote:
Anyway driver's seat was kept empty in my trip, other side had 2 big clay pots bought from kerala for making fish curry, totally wrapped in a big bath tower for protection.
And to show your gratitude, you can call me over to your place when you make fish curry!!
Old 9th November 2009, 20:41   #647
Senior - BHPian

I got your point, I havent played Road Rash but have seen few collegues spenting time on that. I think the attitude towards vehicles like Prado, Toyota Fortuner etc. are defenitely different from sedans on highways. I could see vehicles giving way to a Fortuner without any honking or dipping, shows the BigBoy effect through the rear view mirror ! I can imagine the effect of a Hummer on the highway.

You dont need any formality to accept my gratitude, SMS 2 hours ahead and drop-in anytime, Fiesta family is at your service !
Old 9th November 2009, 22:13   #648
BHPian

Quote:
I got your point, I havent played Road Rash but have seen few collegues spenting time on that. I think the attitude towards vehicles like Prado, Toyota Fortuner etc. are defenitely different from sedans on highways. I could see vehicles giving way to a Fortuner without any honking or dipping, shows the BigBoy effect through the rear view mirror ! I can imagine the effect of a Hummer on the highway.
It is fun Shaju. You should try it!

Yes, one of the major advantages of having an SUV on our highways is that people give you space. I make way if I've a SUV behind me! True reason being, what if I brake hard and the SUV doesnt stop in time!! Having 1.5-2 tonnes of metal hurtling at you is no fun. I love my rear end (Fiesta's I mean) and would like it to stay in shape.

Quote:
You dont need any formality to accept my gratitude, SMS 2 hours ahead and drop-in anytime, Fiesta family is at your service !
Thanks Shaju. One of these days I'll make use of your hospitality. It sounds like a threat of sorts eh!!
Old 10th November 2009, 06:50   #649
BHPian

Hey Shaju,

Looks like you had a great drive and enjoyed every bit of it expect the return, trust me nothing like seeing a rally car. Of course it is a pain to clean it though. As you said if you had cleaned your lights, u would have felt better.

Well if you were downshifting from 120 and engaged the reverse by mistake, the gear box would have gone for a six.

As others mentioned it should be a wrong signal from the reverse sensor. It exactly worked in the reverse.

BTW I also have a 2002 Matiz which came fitted with a reverse sensor. I never had the problem that you mentioned, I feel it could be the music.

Most worrying situation: Somewhere on the highway the car was doing 120 kmph and I remember downshifting from 5th to 4th. I felt something different in the engine noise and also heard the reverse beep, till now I am confused if the car had gone to Reverse gear. Some english old classics were played at that time, so I am still in confusion if that noise was from the music or from the reverse beeper. Mum (sitting back) confirmed it was reverse beep. So, experts, is there any chance the 5th to 4th can go to reverse by mistake ? If so, what happens to a car that is doing 120 kmph ?
Old 10th November 2009, 13:16   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

1) Fiesta can do 160 kmph on highways without any struggle. Anything over that, steering has a slight pulsating vibration, which is not a thing to worry nor complain. Steering also becomes lighter at 140 kmph+.

Hi Shaju,

Nice to see you enjoying the "S" to the fullest. The vibration in the steering is probably due to an imbalance in the whees-tyres, a thorough wheel balancing and alignment job should get rid of it. Also check your tyre pressures such vibration can occour because of over-inflation also.

Cheers,
Old 10th November 2009, 14:04   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
trust me nothing like seeing a rally car. Of course it is a pain to clean it though.
It was infact looking like a rally car that completed a non-stop Bangalore-Nepal-Bangalore trip. A normal washing would not have served any purpose, so I took it for a pressure wash that costed Rs.300/-. Enjoyed sitting and watching the whole bath process too ! The 'washing engineer' kept the boot open for a while to wipe the interior, I got tired of answering to enquiries on the Sub by almost everyone present in the garage. Rockford Fosgate Sub has an enticing look with the chrome ring around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Nice to see you enjoying the "S" to the fullest. The vibration in the steering is probably due to an imbalance in the whees-tyres, a thorough wheel balancing and alignment job should get rid of it.
Mine is ZXI, wheel balancing was done while shifting to alloys, tire pressure is always kept at 30 psi too. So, I really need to do another high way drive to see if the steering vibration is road specific.
Old 10th November 2009, 14:13   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got tired of answering to enquiries on the Sub by almost everyone present in the garage. Rockford Fosgate Sub has an enticing look with the chrome ring around it.
Maybe they thought it was an IED. lol Add some messy wiring in the boot and you have some real potential to create panic.
Old 10th November 2009, 14:47   #653
Senior - BHPian

Gilead, I am 100% sure you typed that comment firmly believing that someone will respond only after googling 'IED', I did.

Now, dont be surprised about the public awareness about 'Boofers'. First day of my ICE installation, our ironing guy was watching the work:
Ironing walla: "sir, how many watts... your boofer ?"
Me : 'its 300 watts'
Ironing walla: "ONLY" ???
Me: 'yes thats enough for me'
Ironing walla: 'sir, my neighbour auto ramesh fixed 1500 watts boofer in his rikshaw, you have a big car, so 3000 watts was good'
Me: breathing heavy and panting like a dog !! I wanted to hide myself

Washing garage was a repeat of the same conversation above.
Old 10th November 2009, 20:41   #654
BHPian

shaju, too funny the Ironwalla conversation. Nearly fell off my chair.
Old 10th November 2009, 20:53   #655
BHPian

3 cheers to the ironwallah and auto ramesh!! Hip Hip Hooray!! LOL!!

EDIT: Awesome trip and an even better write up!! please save some chips for the meet!!

Last edited by raamki : 10th November 2009 at 20:56.
Old 16th November 2009, 12:52   #656
Senior - BHPian

Default Subwoofer Grill Hunt !!

Now having faced the difficulty of keeping the Sub safe with a full boot luggage of different shapes, I am searching for a proper grill. Online products are overpriced and a real killer. Please suggest some places or brands (available locally or by courier). I think anything below Rs.1000 would be worth. I couldnt spot a cheaper one so far. My sub is 12" in a sealed enclosure. So side to side grill screw holes distance should be atleast 14 inch. Here are some samples available online.
The third (last on the right) looks safest !
Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI: Upgraded ICE, Tires, Lights & now Seats-.jpg

This design looks like a perfect DIY, if not found locally !
Name:  ab.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  105.7 KB

Last edited by shajufx : 16th November 2009 at 12:54.
Old 16th November 2009, 17:10   #657
BHPian

So the boofer is getting clothed! Good idea, otherwise some luggage can cause major damage to the woofer's diaphragm (that what its called, right?). I think you should go for the one that covers all around. The grill type looks cool, but 3 shown above seem to offer more protection.
Old 9th December 2009, 18:20   #658
Senior - BHPian

Woofer grill is still a pending work. Now I have noticed another issue. Its the hood panel alignment thats easily noticed (although I didnt see it for 30 days after the kerala trip). Picture will show the matter in detail.

There are 2 reasons in my mind:
1) Head light upgrade was done by removing the lower front bumper, either its not tightly fixed back or the right side head light unit has gone lose. I also find the right side light pointing slightly downwards in the night.
2) A group of horses had crossed and rubbed front portion of the car while waiting at a signal near coimbatore on my kerala drive. One of them lost step and fell on my bumper, I stopped after the crowded area and checked. The tow hook lid (near the right fog lamp) was seen open wide. I just closed it and found no other marks anywhere, therefore ignored it.

Now If I wait for the next service, its end of Jan 2010. I dont have any other reason to drive to a service centre too. Posting the matter here, so that someone could comment if they find it normal. By the way, I played around with the rubber bushes inside (both sides of the engine where the hood panel rests while closed), but couldnt find any difference.
Name:  1.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  282.8 KB
Old 9th December 2009, 18:24   #659
Senior - BHPian

Shaju this problem is normal. The bumper loses alignment very easily, and vice versa. Which means its easy to put back into position too.
I had the same issue from day 1 and it was sorted on day 3 by slightly loosening and tightening the headlamp assembly and the bumper mounting respectively. Its not normal but easily corrected, if that is the answer you were looking to hear!
Old 9th December 2009, 18:31   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Shaju this problem is normal. ........Its not normal !
Getting an answer within 4 minutes !!!! We surpass even the corporate response timing !! Now I got a positive and negative answer in the same post, hope you didnt want to pamper me. I got your message though ! Thanks a ton.
Closed Thread