Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 13th April 2010, 00:26   #781
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I was under the impression that only a locked wheel can screech if brakes are jammed in a straight line. But on second thoughts, I think a wheel still in motion can screech as well if a sudden turn is taken like in your case. Glad to know you guys had a fortunate escape. A one ton+ car running into an old lady at 80 kmph would have been definite manslaughter.
ABS functions by helping you remain at the threshold, best possible braking without breaking traction. So, squeal/screech is unavoidable. I'm sure there would be some Youtube videos that will explain this clearly. Yes, we were lucky. Every trip, every drive, you need to be lucky to get home in one piece!!
Old 13th April 2010, 09:31   #782
Senior - BHPian

So, unni, you have given the old lady another life to live few more years.
Take it that Her end was almost written in that road, but god had a second thought hence unni came there (ofcourse with shaju still enjoying the backseat comfort !)and the ABS also saved her life. So how about this - she has to thank Unni or ABS (50/50? or)
Old 13th April 2010, 09:55   #783
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
Yajaman: Well, it was something like this. We were going at around 80kmph (you have a 1.6, you should know how fast it picks up speed), and from nowhere this lady crosses. I slam the brake and turn to the left. The lady stops on the dotted line and does a small back and forth move (might have been trying to check my reflexes!), and then thankfuly crosses towards the divider. If she had come back to the left, well it'd have been man slaughter, something like me chasing her down and running her over!! Jokes apart, it was a good day for all, we live, we learn. Gets you to believe in the higher power etc.
I went onto NH45 early morning a few days back, to test out the brakes at speeds between 80-100-120. As per my observation, the car comes to a halt in a straight line within <10ft or so, on dry road conditions at least, when the brakes are slammed. ABS was not activated at any point..I mean, no vibration were felt on the brakes.
===========

Nice to see you guys having a good time! Right now I have become the glorified chauffeur for my household..from special summer vacation classes to tution classes at different times for my kids. Thinking of hiring a driver..dunno if that is a good idea!
Old 13th April 2010, 11:48   #784
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...On the other hand if ABS did not activate, then kudos to Michellin XM+ (These are what you have, Shaju?). Lovely grip.......Shaju, thanks for the confidence in my driving. I've seen a couple of friends take back the pilot seat after seeing such an incident..
Yes its Michellin XM1+, I love the grip and cushioned feel. About the confidence part, I just take things as it comes. Trusting each other is the only key to happy friendship. I know you for close to an year now, so there is no question of doubt on trust, care and respect. If something bad had to happen, it would happen regardless of who is at the wheel !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
..from special summer vacation classes to tution classes at different times for my kids. Thinking of hiring a driver..dunno if that is a good idea!
As long as it doesnt affect your working hours and business, its a pleasure to drive around. I am still very reserved about giving our beauty to a salaried driver, may be because we love our cars so much. I dont even allow our washing boys (around 7 of them within our compound) to touch my fiesta. I wash it only once a month that I do it myself as the jopasu duster and a quality cover is used regularly.
Old 13th April 2010, 12:27   #785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
So, unni, you have given the old lady another life to live few more years.
Take it that Her end was almost written in that road, but god had a second thought hence unni came there (ofcourse with shaju still enjoying the backseat comfort !)and the ABS also saved her life. So how about this - she has to thank Unni or ABS (50/50? or)
I don't know who she is thanking, but I'm sure a couple of us are thanking our lucky stars!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
I went onto NH45 early morning a few days back, to test out the brakes at speeds between 80-100-120. As per my observation, the car comes to a halt in a straight line within <10ft or so, on dry road conditions at least, when the brakes are slammed. ABS was not activated at any point..I mean, no vibration were felt on the brakes.
===========
If slamming the brakes doesn't get ABS activated, it speaks of good tyre grip and road condition. In no way doubting what you said, but I think panic braking is different from the tests that we do on our own car!! But then,, halting in a straight line with no tail wag is one of Fiesta's good qualities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Yes its Michellin XM1+, I love the grip and cushioned feel. About the confidence part, I just take things as it comes. Trusting each other is the only key to happy friendship. I know you for close to an year now, so there is no question of doubt on trust, care and respect. If something bad had to happen, it would happen regardless of who is at the wheel !
Thanks again Shaju!

Quote:
I dont even allow our washing boys (around 7 of them within our compound) to touch my fiesta. I wash it only once a month that I do it myself as the jopasu duster and a quality cover is used regularly.
When I saw your car on sartuday morning, I was marvelling at how clean it was. My car is almost never that clean, and automatically assumed that you might be having one of the boys keep the car washed regularly. I'm sure we managed to get some dirt inside after the trip, happy cleaning!!!
Old 13th April 2010, 12:37   #786
Senior - BHPian

It was done by the Jopasu again. Inside dirt was cleared by tapping of the mats. As long as we deal with dry dust or dirt, Jopasu does its work well. If its wet or moist, wait for it to dry, again jopasu does the work. Maximum utilization of available resources !

When it comes to plastic covers: Clean the body after the drive, so that it doesnt create scratch marks with the cover ON.
Old 13th April 2010, 12:50   #787
BHPian

Quote:
If slamming the brakes doesn't get ABS activated, it speaks of good tyre grip and road condition. In no way doubting what you said, but I think panic braking is different from the tests that we do on our own car!! But then,, halting in a straight line with no tail wag is one of Fiesta's good qualities.
Right...I was trying to prepare myself for dealing with those inevitable panic situations, whenever it comes. Wanted to know the limits of braking at diff speeds.
Old 13th April 2010, 14:51   #788
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was done by the Jopasu again. Inside dirt was cleared by tapping of the mats. As long as we deal with dry dust or dirt, Jopasu does its work well. If its wet or moist, wait for it to dry, again jopasu does the work. Maximum utilization of available resources !

When it comes to plastic covers: Clean the body after the drive, so that it doesnt create scratch marks with the cover ON.
+
Yes, jopasu doing great job!
I used to wash my car every sunday, but after getting jopasu duster the
cleaning interval now changed to once in a month or so.
Time saved, water saved, energy(?) saved - Thanks Jopasu
Old 13th April 2010, 21:21   #789
Senior - BHPian

Nairji, we are doing too much promotion for these Jopsasu guys I think. We should ask for a comission. Your post reminded me of the usual 'Telebrands' ad.

"I was so unhappy in life, my wife was very disturbed, my kids couldnt concentrate, my house and car were always dirty. Then one fine morning we bought JOPASU. We are now very happy, life changed from that day, Thank you Jopasu".
Old 14th April 2010, 09:34   #790
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nairji, we are doing too much promotion for these Jopsasu guys I think. We should ask for a comission. Your post reminded me of the usual 'Telebrands' ad.

"I was so unhappy in life, my wife was very disturbed, my kids couldnt concentrate, my house and car were always dirty. Then one fine morning we bought JOPASU. We are now very happy, life changed from that day, Thank you Jopasu".
+
ha, I didnt see this ad so far

So, when is your next fiesta drive ( with you enjoying back sea comfort and driven by executive driver UNNI-) and where is the destination?

You two are far away from my place, otherwise I too could have joined you -and enjoy the comfort of unni's master driving?
Old 15th April 2010, 22:06   #791
Senior - BHPian

Nairji, yes we will be missing your words of wisdom on the move. I dont think Unni will like that term 'executive driver' although he enjoys the smoothness of our petrol. I have a Chennai plan before the monsoon starts, means it should be within the next 45 days. Lets see how the other gang members are placed on their work schedules.

Target will be finding some natural villages en-route and catching some colourful sunrise, sunset etc. I am sure it can not be done in a day. Because reaching chennai and not meeting the Fiesta gang there will be an emotional affair later. I dont want to hear accusations for the rest of the year !

GO FIDA !!
Old 16th April 2010, 11:12   #792
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nairji, yes we will be missing your words of wisdom on the move. I dont think Unni will like that term 'executive driver' although he enjoys the smoothness of our petrol. I have a Chennai plan before the monsoon starts, means it should be within the next 45 days. Lets see how the other gang members are placed on their work schedules.

Target will be finding some natural villages en-route and catching some colourful sunrise, sunset etc. I am sure it can not be done in a day. Because reaching chennai and not meeting the Fiesta gang there will be an emotional affair later. I dont want to hear accusations for the rest of the year !

GO FIDA !!
+

So, next trip to chennai

Let me know the plan and programme - If possible/time permits, I will also try to join you in Chennai!
Old 16th April 2010, 11:41   #793
Distinguished - BHPian

Note From Team-Bhp Support -Guys please restrict this thread to discussing the Ownership Experience & related discussion on shajufx's car. Any further OT posts & we will have to lock this thread. Thanks

Last edited by Technocrat : 16th April 2010 at 12:32.
Old 22nd April 2010, 13:52   #794
Senior - BHPian

Default Finally Seats are getting new Life !!

I got some time to visit AutoGrid (Gsport dealer at Bellary road) for my seat covers. I liked the Europa range and decided E-4 as my colour. Its the closest I could get for the camel/beige interior of the Fiesta. Curiously waiting to see the final outcome.

I am doing only the seats, costing 9500. Order is taken and intimated to their main distributor, it should be ready within 2 days, but I prefer to go on Monday morning and get it fitted in 3 hours time as promised.

Door pad is one area they will need to send either the car or the door panel to the factory and it will be done only in pure leather as the fitting wont be proper with art-leather. Its estimated to be 3k for 4 doors. I didnt even bother to check the gear knob or steering, as its not part of my need.

My main concern was the stock fabric getting soiled or darkened as we use, so getting only the seats done. Door pads are still looking as brand new, so I might think about them only when it shows its age. Until then its Happy Gsport Europa days ahead !

Will post pictures by Monday !
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:14   #795
BHPian

@Shaju - Good selection Gsport does have a good fit, i had seen a Verna done with Gsport and it realy looked awesome.
Closed Thread