Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 24th May 2010, 20:42   #826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
I am surprised by your mileage figures. I drive mostly on the ORR from M'halli to Koramangala and don't get more than 9 kpl average in city. On the highway, I do get about 13 kpl. Any secrets.
Where do you stay in B'lore.
I know atleast half a dozen owners who get similar mileage figures like me, 3 within my society itself. So, I think its to do with the driving style. No secrets as such, whatever I do I will point it here, may be nothing new to anyone, but thats what I do:

1. Maintaining kind of speed ratio with each gear which is similar to most of the cars' manuals. Its something like
1st gear 10-15 kmph
2nd gear 15-30 kmph
3rd gear 30-40 kmph
4th gear 40-60 kmph
5th gear 60 onwards

Exceptions are only when you are overtaking someone on a highway, specially when you wait behind a truck and shoot ahead when you get a chance. I might be doing 60 kmph in the 3rd gear itself, but depends case to case.

You might ask me if I look at the RPM meter in between, yes I do almost every now and then, but its just a glance thats enough. It was tough earlier, but now its like a habit.

2. I rip it in 5th gear only if I can get the way ahead of me clear off traffic. In bangalore city, 80 kmph is a limit in most roads, so I try my best to stick to it. Once its on a highway it maintains between 100 to 120 kmph. Sometimes we get this higher figure within city too, depends on what time you are on road. Sorry, I got speed tickets twice in last 6 months. Rs.600 loss !

3. Usage of brake: I try to use the brake as low as possible, which I think is one of the most important part of better mileage. Other way of putting this point is; maintaining a disciplined speed than changing lanes or cutting across or overtaking between signals, which all of you know burns a lot of petrol and takes max usages of our brakes in full force.

4. I normally dont race to a signal point, if the red is visible from far, my fiesta almost comes to a stop when I reach the light with a mild touch of the brake, so you know the gas pedal is lifted long before it reaches a red light.

5. I always pass a speed breaker in 1st gear (I just love Unni's way of driving, because he does the same) ,unless its a very small one. This is a topic many people debate, but according to me, it saves a lot of gas as we pass atleast 10 to 15 speed breakers in a 5 kms distance within city. I will explain: a car that passes a medium speed breaker in 2nd gear has to pump more petrol to keep it from stalling and to pass the weight over the hump. Its always done within 10 kmph, so the gear ratio also comes into play. Its a mild touch of the gas pedal in 1st gear and its so smooth.

6. I always fill my tank in auto cut off mode (mostly full tank that lasts me 45 days or more), so I get exactly what I pay for. One should understand the petrol pump attender's trick to do the hand pumping for rounding a figure eg: 10 ltrs, they stop at 9.5 and do the hand pumping for the rest half ltr. You are lucky if 250 ml gets into your tank. Same thing happens when people stop at full tank auto-cut off and then try to squeeze bit more by lifting and hand pumping. Meter runs but petrol comes in drops.

7. Another point is not touching the gas pedal in a downward slop unless I am followed by someone with a particular speed. But its not switching off the engine at traffic signals and burn in the heat at every signal. I will never do that.

I think these are points that I can recall which I think I consciously attempt to practice every time. Wow, I didnt know it would come to 7 points when I started typing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Shaju's secret is timing. 11 am to 3 pm.
Yes I forgot to include it in the list above, that also adds to the overall result.

Quote:
Shaju@ - As Gilead said, Diwali should be a good time. However, from Blr to Chn, does it require any elaborate planning? BTW, you have'nt responded my PM to you on the DSLR thing.
We will plan it, because 3 team-bhpians are involved in our trips, so its just the date matching thing. I havent got any PM sanju, please resend it.

Last edited by shajufx : 24th May 2010 at 20:53.
Old 24th May 2010, 21:09   #827
Senior - BHPian

My driving technique on points 1, 3, and 4 is completely different. Let's just say it's a more 'fun to drive' technique. I follow 5,6 and 7 to the letter though. I also do a lot of engine braking.

Last edited by Gilead : 24th May 2010 at 21:14.
Old 24th May 2010, 21:26   #828
BHPian

EDIT: So you are now getting almost the Figo DIESEL/TDCI FE of 10-12 in city ??? LOL.

Off late, I am done with FE mgmt...I am driving based on what feels right, i.e, based on engine/revving noise, pulling power, terrian conditions etc..like the way I drove before coming across T-Bhp;-} I am willing to shave off a couple of kms for driving pleasure & comfort?

====================
Guys, post this Figo rush, are we Fiestians destined to get step-motherly treatment at the a.s.s? Any such pointers from guys who have serviced recently?

Last edited by sanjayc : 24th May 2010 at 21:30.
Old 24th May 2010, 22:23   #829
Senior - BHPian

Sanju, dont worry about the A.S.S as its not part of our daily life. How often you visit their service ? So you can make them behave themselves with your good or bad attitude. I find the people at service very friendly, atleast they are far better than the guys I see at Maruti service centres from my previous experience. Even the guy who comes to give the pick up and drop service speaks very politely and gives a lot of respect to me as a customer. May be Ford has intentionally created some ground level changes in these aspects, which makes us feel better.

My comfort feel is: We have someone to talk to or call when our Fiesta needs a road-side assistance or getting some repair works done or a help in claiming the insurance. As long as the work is done without much strain, I am happy.

My last 4.5 years in India (after returning from NRI status) has taught me some weird lessons:

You are not guaranteed of the best service for a costly product in India (right from home appliances to anything). Sometimes you get the very best support for a low-cost product. To put this fact in simpler terms, I am a happier customer with a Fiesta of 7.25 lak on-road than my bro-in-law who owns a Skoda of double the cost and who had a BMW of over 15 times the cost. Each service experience of my in-law on both cars were nightmares at dealer points of different states. Its not a story but a real fact.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:25   #830
BHPian

Hi Shaju

Congrats on completing 5000 kms. BTW I have completed over 10000 kms out of which 9000 would be city and 1000 would be highways. My mileage has been more or less like yours, may be due to the same driving style. Infact I feel in the highways it is slightly better

In the last 1 year, that I have had, the Fiesta has given me some minor niggles, apart form that it has been a smooth drive.

One issue that I had though was the issue with my Power Windows, for some reason the right side power windows failed and luckily it was covered in the warranty. It cost over 1800 to replace it, mind you it did not include replacing the motor.

Now comes the tricky question, my extended warranty expires by the end of this month and I am still undecided if I need to extend it. They want 9800 for two year extn and 5100 for a 1 yrs extn.

Somehow I feel this is slightly more and not worth it. Please let me know your views.

Also is it advisable only to service in a Ford service station or can we have it serviced outside with a friendly mechanic who is also reliable.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:48   #831
Senior - BHPian

@Shaju - thanks, yes will try to write a travelogue but waiting for my digicam which
I left with my friend who is still in malaysia.(its not worth giving a write up without
photographs)

@Gilead - one thing I have seen in malaysia is 95% people are driving Automatic cars
and hardly seen manual one's (same in case of two wheelers too). Imported cars
are very few as most people use malaysian made cars, may be because of the
tax structure.?

@sanjayc - yes, waiting for my camera.
Old 25th May 2010, 15:40   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I noticed this mild shudder when I used the wiper for the first time after 5 months last week, but I had no issues with actual wiping. They were very effective. The shudder almost disappeared by the time I reached office. I wiped the blades with a cloth after reaching office and I didn't really notice the shudder when returning. Need to check when it rains again.

I don't think you need to do anything special other than wiping the blades and the windshield with a shampoo and keeping them clean and smooth.
I've seen this shudder too in the recent downpours in Bangalore.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:16   #833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chillout View Post
One issue that I had though was the issue with my Power Windows.........my extended warranty expires by the end of this month and I am still undecided if I need to extend it.......is it advisable only to service in a Ford service station or can we have it serviced outside with a friendly mechanic who is also reliable.
Such niggles are normal and are supposed to happen even in the most expensive products (includes all kinds of products electronic, electric, automobile etc). We are lucky if its covered under a warranty, otherwise your wallet was destined to be lighter for no fault of yours. I ignore such costs, because its part of life.

I have a health insurance policy covering me, wife and 2 kids (HDFC ERGO). None of us are hospitalized so far. But I have a relative who has been renewing his health insurances for almost 6 years in a row (never used), ignored renewing it for the 7th year, got a cardiac arrest and paid up 3 lak from his pocket. How about that ? Extended warranty is something similar to my understanding. Therefore I haven't thought about it so far. But people who have gone through major repairs have thanked theirs stars for having the extended warranty.

I dont mind servicing my Fiesta at a place reliable and known to me. I have a place near my home, so I might opt that once my present warranty gets invalid. The normal company warranty is 1 year or 2 years ? I haven't even checked that so far.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:33   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Sanju, dont worry about the A.S.S as its not part of our daily life. How often you visit their service ? ...
...My comfort feel is: We have someone to talk to or call when our Fiesta needs a road-side assistance or getting some repair works done or a help in claiming the insurance. As long as the work is done without much strain, I am happy.
Good to see you have made peace with the world!! No wonder it reflects in your snaps.
Yep, indeed there are lot of other important things to do in life rather than sweat over such issues! Point taken.
Old 25th May 2010, 17:46   #835
BHPian

Thanks dude for your suggestions.
Quote:

1. Maintaining kind of speed ratio with each gear which is similar to most of the cars' manuals. Its something like
1st gear 10-15 kmph
2nd gear 15-30 kmph
3rd gear 30-40 kmph
4th gear 40-60 kmph
5th gear 60 onwards
Hmmm.. Kind of drive in the same range only.But I tend to rev a lot in 1st and 2nd gears.Kind of addictive.

I think the point about the brakes is the most valid.I do tend to get impatient because am usually in a hurry to get to office or home depending on the time of the day.Let's see how I can change that.

As sanjayc said, I'm also too busy having fun to look at the mileage. But it does hit you especially when the DTE says 50 km!

About filling up and auto-cut off, I've bee doing it since I was born
I'm pretty sure I haven't got cheated yet.
Old 25th May 2010, 18:16   #836
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
I think the point about the brakes is the most valid.I do tend to get impatient because am usually in a hurry to get to office or home depending on the time of the day.
I agree the 'hurry situation' which everyone faces each day, specially in a city. I realized the braking part and its impact on mileage through my calculation in the previous cars.

I have tried that 'drive-in-hurry' part long back. The funniest situation within a city is, however fast or in a hurry you are, you tend to meet the same cars around you almost throughout your drive (thanks to the speed breakers and frequent signals). So in effect, I dont save any commentable time by hurrying, but only causing more petrol to burn and brakes to wear off faster, at the same time highly prone to scraping someone or somewhere.

Another best part of Fiesta is: As long as you dont hear much of the engine noise within the car, you are mostly driving in the right gear. This doesnt apply if I raise my music to level 7 or more. I hear only the music, no engine noise nor road noise. Its total bliss !! I think Unni was happy to know that difference in our Pondy drive .
Old 25th May 2010, 21:05   #837
BHPian

Quote:
Another best part of Fiesta is: As long as you dont hear much of the engine noise within the car, you are mostly driving in the right gear. This doesnt apply if I raise my music to level 7 or more. I hear only the music, no engine noise nor road noise. Its total bliss !! I think Unni was happy to know that difference in our Pondy drive .
The silence is very apparent especially when coming from a diesel background!! I've had to look at the tacho a couple of times to ensure that the engine is running.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:21   #838
BHPian

Hi Shajufix,

Thanks for sharing cool tips man ! I need small info from you, yesterday my fiesta's low beam headlamp gone fuse(H7 55w). I've replaced the one with the local shop, the new philips H7 55w costs Rs.300 a piece. Is this same anywhere? I remember that you have mentioned the bulb costs 250 or 300 on pair. Kindly confirm me once.
Old 26th May 2010, 14:29   #839
Senior - BHPian

Jebs, I dont know why you went to a shop for replacing the bulb as the stock spare is already in the first aid kit (spare is of OSRAM). Philips rally is cheaper compared to others, what I have quoted could be of that. My rally bulbs are 80/100 Low & High not the stock watts.

Last edited by shajufx : 26th May 2010 at 14:33.
Old 27th May 2010, 15:12   #840
BHPian

Quote:
I agree the 'hurry situation' which everyone faces each day, specially in a city. I realized the braking part and its impact on mileage through my calculation in the previous cars.
Good work shajufx.
Quote:
I have tried that 'drive-in-hurry' part long back. The funniest situation within a city is, however fast or in a hurry you are, you tend to meet the same cars around you almost throughout your drive (thanks to the speed breakers and frequent signals). So in effect, I dont save any commentable time by hurrying, but only causing more petrol to burn and brakes to wear off faster, at the same time highly prone to scraping someone or somewhere.
I have to totally agree. The experience is very common almost daily, only mitigated by a lot of confidence and driving skill. Why do this to a car you love ? No. And I have'nt put up a bhp-ian sticker lest some bhpian spot me
and I end up being reported on the forum . I see a lot of tbhp badged cars
on the ORR! Kidding, it's just laziness.
Quote:
Let me try doing that. Mostly in city it is listening to 94.3 Radio One!
My fiesta has also done one B'lore to Pondy and back with family. We keep hopping into the Ashram to get some sense back in life.In April was the first one with the Fiesta. My Indica turbo, we did the trip almost four times,once via Chennai just to enjoy the drive.
Closed Thread