Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 2nd June 2010, 20:47   #841
Senior - BHPian

The latest mileage calculation has dramatically dropped to 10 kmpl (previous tank full at Krishnagiri to today's tank full at Bangalore city). Either I am cheated at Krishnagiri fuel station (which offcourse serves to highway commuters) or something has changed in the engine's drinking pattern. Another thing I noticed is the tire pressure on all tires were around 28 PSI which I always maintain at 30. May be that would be the reason. Fingers crossed until another tank full next week only for mileage checking

Last edited by shajufx : 2nd June 2010 at 20:50.
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:06   #842
BHPian

Could it be cocktail of BS III/IV? Have noticed in some Figo threads that with BSIV FE is higher (figo engine is tuned to BSIV I guess) whereas Fiesta is BS III.

28PSI is way too low for highway driving. How many passengers?
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:44   #843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
The latest mileage calculation has dramatically dropped to 10 kmpl (previous tank full at Krishnagiri to today's tank full at Bangalore city). Either I am cheated at Krishnagiri fuel station (which offcourse serves to highway commuters) or something has changed in the engine's drinking pattern. Another thing I noticed is the tire pressure on all tires were around 28 PSI which I always maintain at 30. May be that would be the reason. Fingers crossed until another tank full next week only for mileage checking
+

28psi seems low against company's recommended pressure of 30psi in front and 35psi (?) for rear tyres when on normal load. for full load it goes to 39 and 44 (seems very high??). Should one follow this recommendation of maintain 30 for all tyres when on single driving?
Old 3rd June 2010, 11:15   #844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The latest mileage calculation has dramatically dropped to 10 kmpl (previous tank full at Krishnagiri to today's tank full at Bangalore city).
I think after your prior claim of 12-14 kmpl, other owners got J and cast evil eyes at your car.

Krishnagiri must be on BS2 fuel I guess. That could be one of the reasons.
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:23   #845
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Could it be cocktail of BS III/IV? ......
28PSI is way too low for highway driving. How many passengers?
I doubted the same too. The tire pressure is always maintained at 30, not more not less, because its been tested over a month varying the pressure between 28 to 32 and found to be the best at 30. Remember mine is not stock tires. Somehow we missed checking the tire pressure before our drive to Pondy. ( 3 of us, Unni, Veeresh and myself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
.....for full load it goes to 39 and 44 (seems very high??).
Ha ha, 39 and 44 will be hell of a drive feeling every pothole on the road straight on our spine. I am not sure how high a mileage that can provide but the tires might become vulnerable to damages on a long drive. Whatever it is, according to my limited knowledge, anything above 32 will be a rough ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
I think after your prior claim of 12-14 kmpl, other owners got J and cast evil eyes at your car.
I will sort that out when we drive down to Chennai soon ! Be ready !
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:29   #846
Senior - BHPian

Oho., there was a typing mistake, it should have been 30 instead of 39.
i.e in Full load the recommended tyre pressure is 30 (front) and 44 (rear),
but still 44 psi seems bit high?
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:41   #847
Senior - BHPian

Is that mentioned in the ford manual ? I dont remember reading such a thing. But somehow, 30 and 44 is a huge difference to maintain from the front and back. I would prefer 30 on all 4 than trying 30-44. If there are 3 passengers on the back seat and boot is full of heavy things, then a higher PSI for the back tires is understandable, but how high ?
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:56   #848
Senior - BHPian

As far as I remember (but rarely practise), for full loads it is 35 in the front and 44 at the rear. For normal loads, it is 30 all around.
Only once did I use the full load setting, and it really helped in avoiding bottoming out on huge speed breakers.
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:12   #849
Senior - BHPian

I am curious to know the effect of single driving with that 35-44 combination. Suppose we fill that figure for a long drive with full load and drive around single after reaching the destination or after coming back to our town. Do we switch back to 30 all around ?

Another doubt is about the heat build up that happen on a long drive. A 35 psi could go as high as 40 or closer on a few hours highway drive, so I have seen people letting the air go to adjust the levels midway. Now how is that handled ?

Hope I am not going OT here, we are still sticking to Fiesta specific tire pressure.
Old 3rd June 2010, 13:15   #850
Senior - BHPian

Question

I have been maintaining 32 in front and 30 at the rear. I had this setting confirmed by Ford, Thane dealer. In fact whenever I go to my usual petrol pump the attendant by default fills in 32 in the front (his logic - engine in front) and 30 at the rear tyres. Even my spare is filled with 30 psi only.
I am confused as to why the front tyre pressure is less than the rear as reported by some.
Till date I have not encountered the full load, can't comment on the same.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:11   #851
Senior - BHPian

Shaju, I just checked the Owners manuel - see page no.128, tyre pressure level is explained.
As per your anticipation, if one has to reduce the psi midway, then you definitely need tyre pressure gauge carrying with you all the time to check the correct pressure on all tyres??
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:43   #852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am curious to know the effect of single driving with that 35-44 combination. Suppose we fill that figure for a long drive with full load and drive around single after reaching the destination or after coming back to our town. Do we switch back to 30 all around ?

Another doubt is about the heat build up that happen on a long drive. A 35 psi could go as high as 40 or closer on a few hours highway drive, so I have seen people letting the air go to adjust the levels midway. Now how is that handled ?

Hope I am not going OT here, we are still sticking to Fiesta specific tire pressure.
Yes, you would need to scale down all 4 wheels to 30 in such cases. Else the ride will he hard. Not sure about the heat build up though.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:47   #853
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I am confused as to why the front tyre pressure is less than the rear as reported by some.
Ideally maintain 30 on all 4 tires, the safest bet. Back tire pressure more than front comes to picture only when its full load, which I never tried till date. I assume 3 passengers on the backseat and the boot with heavy load combined with the back body weight will definitely double up the front weight. Open to correction.

Quote:
....see page no.128, tyre pressure level is explained.
......then you definitely need tyre pressure gauge carrying with you all the time to check the correct pressure on all tyres??
I dont follow the manual just because mine is a Michelin XM1+ tire thats advised to be maintained at 30 PSI by the installer, which is also tested and proved to be the best compromise between comfort and mileage. Tire pressure gauge is one of the 'must have' accessories in the car. I got mine as a compliment from the tire guy. Its cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Yes, you would need to scale down all 4 wheels to 30 in such cases. Else the ride will he hard. Not sure about the heat build up though.
Heat build up is not limited to any tire or car, its a common thing I have heard and seen from different people. In our last trip to coorg, my in-law had let out some air from all tires (Innova) to balance the required PSI. May be its not applicable to latest technology tires. I am not yet sure about it.
Old 7th July 2010, 10:43   #854
BHPian

Irregular me just saw all the discussion happening here! Let me add to the confusion

Quote:
+
28psi seems low against company's recommended pressure of 30psi in front and 35psi (?) for rear tyres when on normal load. for full load it goes to 39 and 44 (seems very high??). Should one follow this recommendation of maintain 30 for all tyres when on single driving?
Like others here, I too have tried different combinations of tire pressure. When on single driving or even 2-3 up, you can safely maintain at 30psi. This will ensure that you dont have a jarring ride (feeling every crack on the road)

Quote:
Remember mine is not stock tires. Somehow we missed checking the tire pressure before our drive to Pondy. ( 3 of us, Unni, Veeresh and myself)
Well, except for Shaju, the other 2 were heavy set!!!

Quote:
I will sort that out when we drive down to Chennai soon ! Be ready !
Saar, keep me in the loop.

Quote:
Heat build up usually happens due to tire flex. When having low pressure, the side walls of the tire flex way more than when filled right. This leads to heat generation. From what I've read on the internet and otherwise, the heat build up and resultant rise in PSI is not something we need to be overly worried about, as long as the tires are filled up properly.

Do not adjust air mid way. Check when tire is cold (that is it has run the minimum amount of kms when starting for a trip), at the nearest petrol pump etc.

Quote:
Heat build up is not limited to any tire or car, its a common thing I have heard and seen from different people. In our last trip to coorg, my in-law had let out some air from all tires (Innova) to balance the required PSI. May be its not applicable to latest technology tires. I am not yet sure about it.
Heat build up happens in all tyres. Unless maybe you are using nitrogen! But, like I mentioned, its not something to be overly worried about. Just maintain the right PSI.
Old 7th July 2010, 10:50   #855
Senior - BHPian

Unni - good you back in action !
I hope nowadays you are not driving your fiesta to your native place since you got your family in Bangalore? And no more driving to the 'border' and your fiesta may be feeling sorry (and sleepy all the time except for the bangalore traffic run?)

How much kms on the ODO now?
Closed Thread