Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 7th November 2010, 20:02   #901
Senior - BHPian

Safely driven 1200 kms and so far more impressed about the Fiesta like never before ! Overall comfort, riding stability, control and mileage stay as my most favorite areas till date.

I had the first chance to drive on a highway in medium and heavy rain today on my way from Salem to Bangalore. I have started feeling not very comfortable with Michelin tires from today's drive. I dont know what we call it technically, aquaplaning or something ? Fast lane had water collection in many places, fiesta had tough time to move stable above 120 kmph many times. I lost half my confidence when it happened a third time after Krishnagiri. It was a near miss from going under a huge shipping container on the left.

Guys who are using Michelin, did you face such an issue anytime (only in the water collected roads) ? If the above para is not clear, let me explain, car is doing 120+ and you pass a water collected area and it loses its complete control as if moving on ice.

ODO has crossed 7400 and hope to touch 10000 before year end , I know its not much to hope for !
Old 7th November 2010, 20:25   #902
BHPian

Yeah it most certainly is Aquaplaning.
Have experienced it on my Xing with Bridgestone tires (but towards the end of thier lifetime), it's more scary when wheels on one side moves over water and the other side still on dry road, this causes loss of traction on a single side which causes the car to drift sideways

Once I moved on to Michelin XM1s, haven't faced it to that extent, but certainly . I guess that will happen to most tires especially at such high speeds
Old 7th November 2010, 21:02   #903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
....Once I moved on to Michelin XM1s, haven't faced it to that extent
Thanks for confirming its aquaplaning, I was not sure how thats felt. Even mine is Michelin XM1+ and the surprise was getting that insecure feeling from this tire which is designed to prevent aquaplaning.
Old 8th November 2010, 08:24   #904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Safely driven 1200 kms and so far more impressed about the Fiesta like never before ! Overall comfort, riding stability, control and mileage stay as my most favorite areas till date.

I had the first chance to drive on a highway in medium and heavy rain today on my way from Salem to Bangalore. I have started feeling not very comfortable with Michelin tires from today's drive. I dont know what we call it technically, aquaplaning or something ? Fast lane had water collection in many places, fiesta had tough time to move stable above 120 kmph many times. I lost half my confidence when it happened a third time after Krishnagiri. It was a near miss from going under a huge shipping container on the left.

Guys who are using Michelin, did you face such an issue anytime (only in the water collected roads) ? If the above para is not clear, let me explain, car is doing 120+ and you pass a water collected area and it loses its complete control as if moving on ice.

ODO has crossed 7400 and hope to touch 10000 before year end , I know its not much to hope for !
+
you can plan similar weekend trips to salem or nearby places and you will get 10000kms before december

is this kind of Aquaplanning effect will be there even with stock tyres???
Old 8th November 2010, 09:25   #905
BHPian

Aquaplaning is bound to happen at speeds quoted and there are other factors as suggested involved as well.

1: the uneven traction due to difference in water levels across all 4 tyres.
2: Weight of car, specially if you were driving solo and no luggage/ other weight of any sort.
3: front wheel drive car with the driving wheels getting in contact with the water first before is disperses and rear has less to handle. This gives the steering feedback of "omg, I've lost control" .
Old 8th November 2010, 10:32   #906
BHPian

Shaju-: Well said about the comfort, stability and control of the Fiesta. I'm always tempted to bring the Fiesta as against the Getz when I come back to Bangalore, but my dad wont let go of the Fiesta.

As for the aquaplaning, its quite normal to happen and the XM1+ are not to blame. I was also on same route yesterday, on my way back from Cochin. I was impressed by the grip provided by the XM1+ in the rains and never felt insecure. In fact, in colder conditions, the tyres perform better than when it gets too hot. All this wrt Getz Crdi.

What I do when I encounter a patch of collected water is hold on tight to the steering and the car doesnt float. Try and see if it works for you as well. What I ended up with is a slight pain in my hand due to all the tightening of my arms as there was just too much water on the route.
Old 8th November 2010, 12:28   #907
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
.....is this kind of Aquaplanning effect will be there even with stock tyres???
Stock tires might be a poor performer when it comes to such things as commented by some other users within my society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Aquaplaning is bound to happen at speeds quoted and there are other factors as suggested involved as well.
In fact it was not a steering feel I was mentioning about, but a total 'moving on ice' feel, although I made sure steering was firmly held each time it happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
....What I do when I encounter a patch of collected water is hold on tight to the steering and the car doesnt float. Try and see if it works for you as well.
I did the same, otherwise I would not be sitting here reporting about it . It was a fully loaded ride yesterday as 3 adults and 2 tiny tots and a boot full of our luggage, rice and vegetables from my cousin's farm and a full tank fuel (filled 3 times to the brim) almost the entire trip. Its showing DTE of 450 kms as its parked after the trip. I didn't want to miss that Rs.2/- saving per liter.

I forgot to mention about the Holux GPS receiver and logger I had posted before the trip. Overall it was a perfect tool for recording the complete inch to inch movement. It claims to lock upto 66 satellites, so accuracy is never a thing of worry. BUT...my mobile failed to keep its credentials. It died after 5 hours and the car charger could not help the situation due to some lose contact. Now I have to buy another dedicated car charger to keep it alive for any further trips. Map my India version 4.0 is another disappointment too. Majority of the flyovers, under passes and new roads are non-existent in their map, mobile version 5.0 is not yet launched, so its another unknown waiting for the upgrade.

Here is a screen shot of the Holux ezTour for logger. I love this software, we can analyse everything after a trip without having to note down anything during the travel. I have only one regret about this drive, thats not getting a chance to cross 160 kmph due to heavy rain and water logged highways It was heavy rain when we started and it was heavier rain when we parked home !
Name:  map.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  114.8 KB
Old 8th November 2010, 16:13   #908
BHPian

When its raining, even if its just a slight drizzle, do keep your speeds under 100kmph. The reason why you are here, writing and reading your thread, could possibly be because you were on fairly new Michelins. Any tyre for that matter would aquaplane in such conditions, especially with water stagnated. It has happened to me a couple of times as well on my solo drives. With family on board, I can imagine the shock you might've gone through. Good to know that the GPS logger is working flawlessly.
Old 8th November 2010, 16:27   #909
Senior - BHPian

Driving over 120 kmph (or even 100) over wet roads is a strict no-no. Even on roads as good as the M1 in UK (London to Scotland), I've seen a hatch aquaplaning at a very high speed. I hope those poor souls survived.

They were moving in the opposite direction on the 6-laned motorway. I was doing around 80 mph on the fast lane, close to the divider. I shifted quickly to the middle land when i saw the car in front of me (around 200 metres ahead) getting hit by a splash of water from across the divider. The best glimpse I could have was only a fleeting glance of a hatchback loaded with teenagers taking a 360 degree turn. My wife and bro-in-law felt it was a VW Golf, but we are not sure as it was moving in the opposite direction and speeds were high.

The immediate after effect was that all of us slowed down to 60 mph. I shudder to think of what might have happened to the occupants.
Old 9th November 2010, 12:56   #910
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unni.ak View Post
When its raining, even if its just a slight drizzle, do keep your speeds under 100kmph.....
Agreed, thats why I never tried above 130 , anyway it was a good experience and lesson learnt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Driving over 120 kmph (or even 100) over wet roads is a strict no-no.....
True, another point came up through you post is the water splashed from the other side of the track. I saw a Dezire losing its complete control just because of that.

Unni, waiting for your weekend plans, hope your fiesta is ready to take another boarder trip ! I am game, if the cyclone weather calms down.
Old 19th January 2011, 11:37   #911
Senior - BHPian

Default 4th Paid Service at 8500 kms

Finally its time to refresh this thread. Fiesta has happily gone for its 4th Paid service at ODO 8500 ! Overall observations as of today:

1) Front bumper clear coat is getting pealed off in the corner area
2) Mileage is steady around 12 kmpl
3) Although the high beam is 100 watts and been driven for 7 hours non-stop, no fogging or blackening of the head light area as doubted by many
4) Its a very comfortable ride with the Michelin XM1+ at 31 PSI.
5) Nothing to complain about engine, body, tires, lights etc.

Same as the 3rd paid service, estimation is around 2500. Pick up and drop facility is opted as the previous services too. More updates about the quality of service etc. after the delivery
Old 19th January 2011, 20:12   #912
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ford Fiesta 1.6 ZXI: Upgraded ICE, Tires, Lights & now Seats

Got the delivery. Cost of 4th paid service = Rs.2500/. Bumper clear coat peal off is untouched although it was communicated correctly. Everything else is perfectly done and happy about it. Details of the invoice for the record (paisas omitted):

Air cleaner filter = 240
Wash fluid = 51
Engine Oil filter = 116
Bharat engine oil = 777
Labour = 930
Consumables = 115 (is it Pepsi and biscuits for the laborers ?)
VAT, PAT, CHAT etc. = 271

Does it matter much when a paid service is booked few weeks later than fixed by the service center, as anyway you end up paying for whatever is done ? My next service is due on 19th June 2011 or at 18505 kms whichever comes early. What if I do it in August, ODO well below 15000 ? Just a doubt, please throw some light.
Old 19th January 2011, 20:32   #913
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Air cleaner filter = 240
Wash fluid = 51
Engine Oil filter = 116
Bharat engine oil = 777
Labour = 930
Consumables = 115 (is it Pepsi and biscuits for the laborers ?)
VAT, PAT, CHAT etc. = 271

Does it matter much when a paid service is booked few weeks later than fixed by the service center, as anyway you end up paying for whatever is done ? My next service is due on 19th June 2011 or at 18505 kms whichever comes early. What if I do it in August, ODO well below 15000 ? Just a doubt, please throw some light.
Isnt labour costly?

Why 18505? Is it a figure from your owners manual?

Go by the manual thing if warranty is important for you.
Old 19th January 2011, 20:38   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Ah the thread comes alive. Good. Ensure that you do your services on or before the next service date (or kilometer count mentioned). If you delay, it can void warranty.

@JKD - 18505kms is 10000kms from his current odo reading. 10000kms or 6months is the service interval.

Last edited by unni.ak : 19th January 2011 at 20:39.
Old 19th January 2011, 21:05   #915
BHPian

31psi for all four tires?
I own an S, mostly the car is loaded only in the front by average sized adults. What tyre pressure do you suggest?
Closed Thread