Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th June 2009, 16:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I have covered about 200 kms so far - all city driving stop-go traffic and the trip computer 2 shows an average of 6.2 km/l. I guess it will improve with time once I have consumed about two tankfulls of XtraMile diesel.
Congrats on your new ride.
Please use regular diesel.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2009, 16:54   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Entropy, how do you find the turbolag within the city? Annoying or takes getting used to?
I would not say annoying but certainly it takes a bit of getting used to. After some time one gets a handle of the amount of inputs required for city driving. For the highway runs I hope the kit would help in quick overtaking. In stock form I would say it is just about adequate but I would prefer a quicker response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
Congrats on your new ride.
Please use regular diesel.
Thanks cooldude1988765. The dealer folks have adviced me to always go for the premium diesel but I guess they don't have a clue. The manual just says to go for a cetane number of 50 or higher. I guess only premium diesel fits the bill ?
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2009, 18:54   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Thanks cooldude1988765. The dealer folks have adviced me to always go for the premium diesel but I guess they don't have a clue. The manual just says to go for a cetane number of 50 or higher. I guess only premium diesel fits the bill ?
I highly doubt if premium diesel has a higher cetane number. Premium petrol has same octane as regular petrol.
cooldude1988765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 11:34   #19
BHPian

Default Chipexpress kit update report

I installed the chipexpress kit yesterday after clocking 1K kms. I must say the installation was a bit painful compared to other two kits I have installed for my Innova and the Q7. It was mainly due to how the damn PD plugs fit together. Anyway after 2 failed attempts (to snug fit the PD plugs together), managed to install it successfully. After this experience I think I'm now trained enough to connect the PD plugs with authority.

I have setup the kit to Default + 2 stage. In this setup it is supposed to deliver about 182 PS/375 Nm compared to the stock 140 PS/320 Nm. Now about the experience:

- No noticeable change in the engine noise outside (It was already noisy enough :-) ). On the inside though the engine note now surprisingly sounds much sweeter with deeper thrum and more bearable compared to the stock engine note that sounded clattery.
- The turbo lag is still present but the car has become wee bit more tractable. You don't really need to mash the pedals always as before.
- The stock 0-100 timing with a driver and co-driver was 11.3-11.5 seconds earlier. After the chip this has improved to 9.3-9.6 secs. Now I can feel the kick which was not so evident earlier.

Overall I feel good about this upgrade. The car feels more lively and eager to jump as and when the need arises. I haven't taken it to the highways yet but believe real difference would show up in post 100 kmph figures. It will do the effortless cruising part mostly and if required is also prepared for occassional quick sprints.
Old 2nd July 2009, 18:15   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

A 2 second reduction is pretty sweet, Entropy !

How much did the chipexpress kit cost? Do they have one for the 1.8 Petrol version too?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 20:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
A 2 second reduction is pretty sweet, Entropy !

How much did the chipexpress kit cost? Do they have one for the 1.8 Petrol version too?
Thanks Sahil. The default setup (268 PS) got me a timing of 10.2 secs. As I wanted to make it less than 10, decided to go for +2 setup that reduces the time further to about 9.5 secs average. The kick is getting addictive and is good enough for daily commute in the city and make best uses of whatever little empty stretch one finds. I still have +3 setup available (190 PS/390 Nm) but probably would not like to max it out for diesel quality and engine life concerns.

It got it from Diesel Tuning by CHIP Express™ directly. I guess it was UK Pounds 395 or so. You can check it online if interested. Also there is no petrol kit - turbo-diesels only.
Old 13th July 2009, 16:43   #22
BHPian

Default Rear seat car sickness

Well as everyone knows this car is a little firm making known all the bumps and ridges into the cabin but never hurting though. My better half however complained of another problem that she gets car sick in this particular car for journeys that last more than 30 mins. This has *never* been a complaint on any of my other current or previously owned cars. I'd like to at least find the possible reason(s) for this.

I was puzzled by the complaint as I rarely use rear seat. So I tried to find out the root cause. While I may not have the answer as yet here is what I observed:

1. The rear vents (on B-pillars) are pretty much use less. Very less air through them and hardly effective.
2. The climate control it seems is over zealous in reducing the fan speed to minimum even though car feels somewhat hot. Solution is to disable the Auto and set the fan speed manually (I use 3-4 points now) one the cabin is cool enough.
3. The auto recirculate mode could be the culprit. I believe it should switch to fresh mode quick enough once the outside air is clean. However it seems it likes to stick to the recirculate mode a while longer.
4. It could be the constant PD engine drone that might also cause discomfort for long journeys ?

In front seats though, I never faced this car sickness so I suspect it could be A/C related. Any comments or tips ?
Old 13th July 2009, 16:47   #23
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations,i drove the tsi variant of the car and it was awesome,felt a lot better compared to the accord.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2009, 15:44   #24
BHPian

Default GQ Highway drive in the Monsoon

I did about 600+ odd kms mostly on GQ highways between Kanpur and Varanasi recently. This was the first time where I had an opportunity to test the limits of the car outside the city but it seems rain gods had a mind of their own.

Random highlights of this very heavy rain infested trip:

- The GQ is one of the best things that has happened to India. Even during very heavy rains where visibility was hardly few meters there were hardly any signs of water clogging on the highway. I was fearing aquaplaning but clear roads meant good speeds could be maintained.

- A cruise speed of 120 kmph is very comfortable in the diesel. There is hardly any noise and diesel is surprisingly quiet at these cruising speeds. At around 140 you start feeling vibrations in the steering. At around 180 there is way too much wind and road noise and now you want to hold the steering with both hands. At 200 the passengers start complaining to reduce the speed. So I guess upto 180 is the limit where you can push the car without scaring your wife and passengers. For most part I cruised between 120 to 150 kmph which was pleasent for everyone.

- Car really feels and is solid and dynamically stable. I got one unexpected chance to test this. The stretch between Kanpur and Lucknow is not so good (not part of GQ) and there are stretches where ample water collects on the highway. An endy in front of us after hitting a wall of water applied panic brakes. It was a curve and we were just following the Endy. We applied full bore brakes too and the car stopped without any drama about 2 meters from the Endy in that water pool. I thank all the ABS/ESP/ABCD that helped acheive this without much fuss. After this incident I realize the importance of ABS and all other passive saftey features.

- Overtaking is really a breeze with the chipped diesel (about 175+ PS and 380Nm+ torque). Couldn't really use it in the city but it was a delight on the highway. I cannot stop thinking about planning my next highway trip.

- If it matters the NH2 Allahabad Bypass is now operational. It is a life saver if you are going to Varanasi/Kolkata as you completely avoid the city chaos. Its a lovely view also you get from the bypass bridge and round-abouts.

Frankly I was thinking with all the horror stories about Skoda reliability - how driving in such heavy rains would affect my Superb but at least this trip was a complete non-event in that regard. It raises my trust in this machine a little bit.
Old 15th October 2009, 01:23   #25
BHPian

Default Indicators not working - resolved

Just wanted to share this as it might help other Skoda owners.

Today the Adaptive headlight failure warning light came on and a message that went something like "check rear brake lights". The actual problem was that both left and right indicator lights were just on instead of blinking when making a turn signal. A little self help resolved the problem.

Root cause: The fuse F17 I think had become loose. Just pushed everything well and it went away. Things are back to normal. I guess a lot of travel on bad/no roads had caused this.
Old 15th October 2009, 16:34   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thats a "superb" car.Be ready to face these small niggles.
How is it performing when it is set in defogger mode.It seems to be that the wind shield is not getting cleared in this mode.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 16:49   #27
BHPian

Tell you what, the front of the car looks so much better w/o the number plate!!!
pusako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2009, 19:23   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Thats a "superb" car.Be ready to face these small niggles.
How is it performing when it is set in defogger mode.It seems to be that the wind shield is not getting cleared in this mode.
Yes it seems like that but what I have discovered is you need to wait when set in MAX mode. For first 3-4 minutes nothing seem to happen and in the next one minute or so complete wind shield is crystal clear. So yes you need wait for some time it seems.
Old 15th October 2009, 20:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Entropy for your new ride. Must say the Superb looks "Superb": in black and those tints look great on a black car. Only in Mumbai, one would get caught in the first 500 meters if these were installed.

I read that the Chip Express kit shaved a mighty two seconds from prior-to-chipping timings. Fantastic i must say. One thing though about the new Superb. It looks like a million bucks and all but somehow as compared to the older version, it looks kind of smaller. Is it just a visual thing or it is actually not as roomy as the older one. Seated in the first gen Superb's rear seat was like sitting in a sofa in a living room. Is this new car as roomy.

Also ive been told that the 1.8 tsi petrol version is really quick. It also is slated to some very good kms/ltr figures.

Anyways enjoy your ride and keep the updates coming. Have fun.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2009, 12:33   #30
BHPian

Thanks Ramsagar, V-16.

Glad I don't live in Mumbai else those tints.

About the roominess, there is really no shortage of space though yes I agree somehow it looks small than it actually is. Two six footers can seat back to back very very comfortably space-wise. The only grouse I have with seats are that they are a tad stiff than I'd have liked. Also the front seat squabs are a bit too close. I would have liked a wider bucket.

But overall for comfort it is Ok.