Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th October 2009, 13:34   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post

Also ive been told that the 1.8 tsi petrol version is really quick. It also is slated to some very good kms/ltr figures.
Yes the 1.8 TSi is pretty quick and very smooth engine. I am getting close to 8km/ltr (in city with AC) & 11.5km/ltr (highway with AC) the car has done close to 4000, it has been gradually increasing over time. I feel it will settle at around 8.5-9km/ltr in city if driven reasonably well.

@Entropy: Quick suggestion on the AC- I find the cooling best in the manual mode-dual off-outside vents closed(this improves cooling greatly)-blower on fwd vents only not legs.
Even with outside temp at 32C+ I'm comfortable with the above settings and car temp at 23-24C. In the evenings I often put it down to 25-26C
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2009, 21:48   #32
BHPian

Default Battery gone dead

I had left the car for about 3 weeks. Now the battery has gone dead. I have removed the battery and sent for charging as jump start did not work. Lets hope it works but I think some faults might be registered due to this and a trip to dealership would be required to reset these fault codes as I don't have the VAG-com.
entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2009, 13:10   #33
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I had left the car for about 3 weeks. Now the battery has gone dead.
I've heard of this issue frequently with high-end electronics laden German cars. Looks like their systems / gizmos consume some power even in standby mode?

Did you call Skoda's roadside assistance?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2009, 17:40   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I had left the car for about 3 weeks. Now the battery has gone dead. I have removed the battery and sent for charging as jump start did not work. Lets hope it works but I think some faults might be registered due to this and a trip to dealership would be required to reset these fault codes as I don't have the VAG-com.
It happened to my Octy once when I returned from a week long US trip. What I did was ensure the radio is actually switched off. Normally, we merely let it switch off with the ignition. Just ensure every in car appliance is switched off.

Never had that problem since
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2009, 19:17   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It happened to my Octy once when I returned from a week long US trip. What I did was ensure the radio is actually switched off. Normally, we merely let it switch off with the ignition. Just ensure every in car appliance is switched off.

Never had that problem since
Thanks. I will take care of this henceforth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I've heard of this issue frequently with high-end electronics laden German cars. Looks like their systems / gizmos consume some power even in standby mode?

Did you call Skoda's roadside assistance?
No it was not required as the car was parked in my office. With recharged battery car now seems to be normal but power steering and ESP warning lights have come on. As I had expected a trip to dealership would be required to reset these error codes. Also one of the horns has gone bust and would be replaced under warranty. Early signs !! :-)
Old 11th December 2009, 11:50   #36
BHPian

I have been living without the low horn for quite sometime as the local dealer still does not have this in stock. Today the high one also went bust !! It was quite an experience to drive without any horn. I realized it is still possible but you need the patience of a monk to do that.

Fortunately with some Indian jugaad the high one is back to operation (a plate went loose that was tightened) but still waiting for the low one ...
Old 11th December 2009, 12:21   #37
BHPian

@entropy: sorry to ask, is the car parked in Velachery chennai

Just curious
jp2u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2009, 13:18   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
@entropy: sorry to ask, is the car parked in Velachery chennai

Just curious
Chennai !! No. In fact never been to Chennai except the airport transit once. I live only about 2500 kms from Chennai.
Old 30th December 2009, 12:15   #39
BHPian

Default horns replaced under warranty

Finally after a month long wait both the high and low horns were replaced yesterday under warranty. To get a taste of Skoda service I hopped along with my driver to the workshop. I advised my driver to get the tuning chip out as it may cause the warranty to go void - but my driver said "don't worry. I will take care of it". So we went.

The workshop "chief" mechanic was looking at the cable coming out of PD plug and the bag in which chip was placed very suspiciously as soon as he opened the bonnet. Then he couldn't resist and asked "What is this ?". I thought .. Boss here goes my warranty. To this my driver very calmly replied - "This is voltage surge protector" (go figure !!) To this mechanic was really bewildered and asked why you put such a thing. Again my driver replied - "To replace a horn you take a month. If any other electronic fault happens then we don't know how long we would have to wait. So this is for our safety to protect all electronic devices in such expensive cars". I was about to burst into laughter but quickly moved away from the scene.

Anyway horns were replaced pretty quickly in about 15 mins and I was out of the workshop in 30 mins. I also got the assurance of their service advisor that he has kept a pair of high/low horns as a backup for future use just for me (Didn't know to laugh or cry at that reassurance !!)

Overall though I'm loving my Superb experience so far ...
Old 30th December 2009, 12:19   #40
Team-BHP Support

now thats one smart driver.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 14:30   #41
BHPian

Quote:

Overall though I'm loving my Superb experience so far ...

A pretty smart driver...

But don't push your luck, you'll need that warranty because even replacing a set of horns will cost you 6,000 rupees! Whereas a pair of Roots will cost you Rs 550. I think they've started fitting Roots for Octavia, Fabia & Laura instead of theirs.
krreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 14:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

haha! Fantastic driver you have, entropy

Your ride looks great! Any updates on your other ride, the Q7?
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 14:50   #43
BHPian

Wow, you are lucky to have such a driver. Dont loose him. Car looks amazing in Black. Do keep updating the thread.
basilmabraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 14:53   #44
BHPian

Default First service update - 9500 kms

Just an update of the first service.

Apparently no issues after the service and thanks to the same driver he kept a hawk eye's vigil throughout the day during the service. No chance of any mess-ups as every move on the workshop was monitored and supervised.

The very first opening sentence he said to the floor manager - If there are any mess-ups both me and you would have to look for another job. (Of course it was in Hindi and with proper accents)

He actually did the tasks himself where the floor guys were just plain lazy or incompetent. To sum up there were 7 cars that came on the floor and only my car could leave the workshop nice and clean without any troubles. Lesser said about the attitude of people in the workshop and their professionalism - the better.

E.g.
1. a car that had come for dent repair. No work for 3 hours while its audio system was played at full blast. Ultimately the battery died !!
2. While reversing another car - the guy just casually nudged another car behind knowing very well in advance it would not reverse cleanly unless the path was cleared before hand.

Moral of the story - Always have someone competent of your own to take care of your car while at a Skoda's workshop.

Total expense about 5500/- that included the usual complete oil change, filters, cleaning etc.

Side Note - The driver also mentioned that there were two Superbs 1.8 TSI lying there for gearbox related expensive repairs/overhaul.
Old 7th May 2010, 14:57   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

The first service is at 15,000 how come you gave it in so much earlier? My Superb has done exactly the same amount of kms are yours and it says there are 5500kms or 90days to service.
5500 is not bad at all ! My Altis first service costed 3800 !
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote