Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th July 2009, 20:34   #1
BHPian

Default Safari Dicor 2.2 GX Post Delivery Expereince

For my experience before delivery and just after it -> http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ry-issues.html (TATA Safari GX Delivery period/should I chuck it? (EDIT: Now post delivery issues!))

Now I have safari with me for over a month and driven abt 2000 KMs, my initial observations.

1. There is turbo lag before 2k rpm, however to me its not turbo lag that bothers me so much but the engine shudder/vibrations etc. that accompany it. Beyond that power delivery is smooth and engine pulls well.

2. The vehicle quality is obviously not top-notch, poor quality workmanship is evident everywhere, I will detail it the pictorial in a day or two.

3. The TATA vehicles have great support infrastructure - that doesn't mean it responsive, its just that many ppl to call, email etc. Email typically doens't work - I have seen a single email reply to any issue I have written to TATA in last 4 years, only interface they are ready to communicate is either via phone or face-to-face.

4. Other then these small niggles etc- the vehicle has performed well. I took it for a kind of cross-country with 5 adults and 2 dogs over a week. The route I took Delhi-> Dehradun -> Almora -> Pittroagarh -> Chakori -> Rudraprayag ->Dehradun -> Delhi. It perfromed well, guided over bad roads/non-exitent roads. Though I hated shifting gears esp while climbing but it also meant that lot of driving was done in second gear and rest 3rd gear.

5. Some of the issues that I faced on this trip were slight noise on the power steering while turning and some noise on the left hand side. Overall I was happy with practically trouble free trip, it was sometimes all alone on lonely stretches for hours. So that says it all, I was praying that nothing goes wrong but I always felt safe and wasn't expecting anything dramatic either.

6. First Service - Based on my brilliant experience with Sterling Motors - I decided not to get anything done from them. They were still struggling complete the paperwork i.e. provide me the invoice of money I paid, along with insurance and RC. I first booked for first service at Dynamic Motors, Noida - no one turned up however customer care called up in the evening and apologised for not turning up and promised to send some one to pickup next morning.

No one turned up again, in the afternoon I called them and told them no-one turned up. The response I got was again "sorry, should I send some one tomorrow?". I just said no thank, I don't need any service from you any longer. Again next day booked it with Ayush motors Noida, no drama this time, vehicle was picked up on time etc. and was promised delivery in 4 hours. Received the call in the evening, sir all work done but your vehicle is not available in TATA system so I can't bill the free service to TATA. You speak to Sterling Motors. So next 1.5 hours spent talking to TATA, Sterling and Ayush Motors. Finally I asked Ayush motors who was holding my vehicle till he is able to bill to TATA to bill it to me and I will pay you for the service. In the meantime TATA rep in Gurgaon said, don't pay and we will handle it.

Finally I got the vehicle, with marks on the seats and no service book.

blah-2, I got the service book when I got there to collect my Marina after service and safari seats were cleaned up as well. Till date however my vehicle doesn't show on TATA system and in probably it means more problems for me - in having incorrect service records and warranty claims.

7. back to Streling now - trying to get my papers from them. Spoke to their GM - everyone outlined their helpness that till date no one has asked for invoice of the amount they have paid. They just provide the vehicle ex-showroom invoice and regitration and insurance cover not - but they don't check if these amount total up to the amount you paid for !!!!

Alright - so some extra hours spent in their showroom, its teeming with ppl so many more sales but what an environment/support ! they issue me some certificates saying 2k spent on this and that ..issue closed. RC collected , insurance policy hasn't been delivered yet even after more then a month.

I also requested abt a month back abt the cost of sound suppression pads..haven't heard back yet, everytime I ask I get an response - " I have asked TATA engineer or I have asked "Wurth" guy to come over" Sir - I will call you '" This call has never materialized so far. But I again tried to find out if it can be done..and no surprises - I got the same response.

Extra work/accessories on my Safari so far

1. Head unit change from Alpine to Blaupunkt Bahamas or whatever with USB and Bluetooth.

2. Speaker change from whatever to Component in front and co-axial in back row.

3. Carpet and foot mats

4. Front and back crash gaurd.

5. Visor

I haven't been able to get the right mud-flaps so far...though and my pet sound deadening project is also not going anywhere.

Thats all for now..I will add pics in a day or two ! Overall my experience with the vehicle has been good besides small niggles here and there. Time spent on phone/emails/followup etc had been just in-tolerable. These guys have tough skins for sure, and it only brings the whole topic to the fore-front that they don't move till the time its crisis..and system is so full of crisises, no one has time to look at issues before they become crisis.

I don't want to start over again. BTW till date since I got the vehicle - I have not been asked any feedback, no feedback form, no feedback calls at all. Wonder if there is a process - how come there is none in my case, so what comes to my mind is that dealer has a way to circumvent the feedback process completely ! oops so here again..I go, let me stop it now. I also have a JOB and work to do..

Take care and more later

Vivek

ps: I really wonder how come some ppl do receive email reply from TATA, what do they do to get a reply !!!
vivek.singh.73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 20:48   #2
BANNED

Congrats on your Safari Vivek, the way the showroom guys are treating you is not proper.

Quote:
RC collected , insurance policy hasn't been delivered yet even after more then a month.
Vivek you are taking lot of risk by driving your vehicle without the insurance, it is better to get the insurance copies into your hands ASAP.

Quote:
I have not been asked any feedback, no feedback form, no feedback calls at all. Wonder if there is a process - how come there is none in my case,
This is nothing but your vehicle has not yet been registered in Tata showing has delivered. Speak to the Tata Rep or put pressure on the showroom guys to get this going at the earliest.

Myself received calls at every services, till date 3 Free Service done and without any problems.

Last edited by gowda79 : 6th July 2009 at 20:51.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 21:03   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post

Vivek you are taking lot of risk by driving your vehicle without the insurance, it is better to get the insurance copies into your hands ASAP.
I have the cover note, its just policy is not there yet not a big deal but just that additional point to follow up and visit them !

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
This is nothing but your vehicle has not yet been registered in Tata showing has delivered. Speak to the Tata Rep or put pressure on the showroom guys to get this going at the earliest.

Myself received calls at every services, till date 3 Free Service done and without any problems.
I have spoken to Tata rep upteen times in last one month, its one followup after another - lets see when this saga ends ! I think the biggest problem is lack of ownership in the whole chain, everyone keeps blaming everyone other then themselves so untill unless there is an agreement who owns the problems other then the customer - there would not be any resolution. And ppl like me would keep beating an old horse in wain to wake them up and respond
Old 6th July 2009, 21:11   #4
BHPian

Car - care : Another thing that I invested some time and energy was on car care

1. Orderded Aurigold car care pack ref - Auri Car Care

I had good experience with their polymer polish. And it didn't disappoint this time as well.

2. 1 of: Meguiar's M-0716 Mirror Glaze Professional Show Car Glaze. 16 oz. liquid on Shop in the US from India @ 20North - Millions of products, Thousands of brands

Still waiting for the delivery, the feedback has been great.

Hopefully auri polymer would add up as an sealant after this mirror glaze, can anyone throw some light on it?

I also cleaned up the interior using formula 1 - leather polish and vinyl cleaner for the dash. It cleaned well and seats are smooth/shining as well. So overall good result for effort spent.

I just want clean and tidy looking car...any ideas inputs would be welcome.

Thanks
Old 6th July 2009, 21:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

fool you once. shame on tata
fool you twice. shame on you
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2009, 21:59   #6
Senior - BHPian

Not so great experience with the showroom, is it! :(

But atleast you are getting some good ride.
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 12:52   #7
BHPian

Pls. check out the pics below, pls excuse the quality as I had to manage with the cellphone .

1. Picture of Safari nearby Dehradun.

2 and. Current picture of safari with visors.

4. See the scratch marks on the bumpers due to mis-aligned doors - wonder who is going to paint it again?

5. Plastic patch work below the dashboard by Tata, I haven't seen such patch work before ! what a choice of quality screws :(

6. See the gaps widening of teh plastic panel.

7. Plastic panel gaps and untidy work

8. The dashboard AC vent - with probably broken locks and coming out of the slot.

9. Just a overview to admire the quick polish work I did yesterday
Attached Thumbnails
Safari Dicor 2.2 GX Post Delivery Expereince-14062009511.jpg  

Safari Dicor 2.2 GX Post Delivery Expereince-07072009537.jpg  

Safari Dicor 2.2 GX Post Delivery Expereince-07072009538.jpg  

Safari Dicor 2.2 GX Post Delivery Expereince-07072009539.jpg  

Safari Dicor 2.2 GX Post Delivery Expereince-07072009540.jpg  

Safari Dicor 2.2 GX Post Delivery Expereince-07072009541.jpg  

Safari Dicor 2.2 GX Post Delivery Expereince-07072009542.jpg  

Safari Dicor 2.2 GX Post Delivery Expereince-07072009544.jpg  

Safari Dicor 2.2 GX Post Delivery Expereince-07072009545.jpg  

Last edited by vivek.singh.73 : 7th July 2009 at 12:58.
Old 7th July 2009, 13:00   #8
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
fool you once. shame on tata
fool you twice. shame on you
whether I like it or not but I can't agree more
Old 7th July 2009, 13:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73 View Post
... my vehicle doesn't show on TATA system and in probably it means more problems for me - in having incorrect service records and warranty claims.
Even my Safari had the same issue till about a month or so after the delivery. But, my dealer handled it professionally- I did not have to pay for the 1st service (except oil change) and few items/work done against warranty. They delivered my vehicle but, closed the job card only after few days when Tata CRM system was updated with my Safari's record.

I guess it may be usual CRM practice of TML . Nothing to worry.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 17:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Vivek, '
Why don't you escalate to the Regional Servie head for Tata Motors. Automobile Sterling is one lousy dealer and unfortunately the only one in Noida. You could speak to Tanveer. He should be able to give you the contacts for the right people. He must be better known in TML's north office than even Ratan Tata, given the issues with this Safari.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2009, 23:15   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
Vivek, '
Why don't you escalate to the Regional Servie head for Tata Motors. Automobile Sterling is one lousy dealer and unfortunately the only one in Noida. You could speak to Tanveer. He should be able to give you the contacts for the right people. He must be better known in TML's north office than even Ratan Tata, given the issues with this Safari.
I have done everything that I could so far. Calling everyone, sending emails etc. Only thing I could now is sitting on dharna in front of their office but they are so thickskined ppl that nothing is going to come out of it.

I was thinking why are they so they thick skinned, doesn't their brand means something to them !!

Actually it doesn't, there is no pride in any of the folks associated with TATA. They probably know internally at the most we need to bullshit a lot and we will do that. BUT THERE IS NO PRIDE THAT I HAVE NOTICED IN ANY OF TATA STAFF OR DEALER STAFF TILL DATE. they keep playing pass the buck excercise - pure and simple. I get this lesson - that shout at the top of ur lung to get your routine work done@!

As I said earlier - its abt cuture that they inculcated at TATA Motors
Old 8th July 2009, 15:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek.singh.73 View Post
4. See the scratch marks on the bumpers due to mis-aligned doors - wonder who is going to paint it again?

5. Plastic patch work below the dashboard by Tata, I haven't seen such patch work before ! what a choice of quality screws :(

6. See the gaps widening of teh plastic panel.

7. Plastic panel gaps and untidy work

8. The dashboard AC vent - with probably broken locks and coming out of the slot.
You are having 2 sets of issues one with the dealer/ service and other with the fit-finiash of safari, as I would say.

For the the dealer issues involve TATA CS and the dealer or change if better ones are available based on feedback here. Getting introduced to the service managers with help from Suman, tsk will definitely help, its all about building a repo over time, politely.

Now coming to the fit-finish part.

4) if you will watch closely the bumper does not touch the door on even surface but when you drive over potholes etc and/or are parked on an incline, it will touch the bumper, infact the rear door cladding is the culprit here with vibrations in the bumper, its edge rubs against the bumper on bumpy roads causing those scratches. Design issue I would say, difficult to rectify at the T.A.S.S. I am not sure if your rear guard also narrowed the gap between the door and bumper.

5) Its a double sided tape, dont know if there's a hole underneath or just a standard for other variants. Have seen staples being used in some renowed brands so nothing to complain about.

6) These gaps are so consistent that sometimes I wonder if its done as a design to give a grooved beeding look on the panels, again standard no harm caused. I dont disagree, it can be improved.

7) Just try to push it back, its usually inline with the dashboard, if its pops back again, ask for a replacement under warranty. You should have checked this unde your PDI.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2009, 16:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
You are having 2 sets of issues one with the dealer/ service and other with the fit-finiash of safari, as I would say.

For the the dealer issues involve TATA CS and the dealer or change if better ones are available based on feedback here. Getting introduced to the service managers with help from Suman, tsk will definitely help, its all about building a repo over time, politely.

- This is my action plan now to take help of Suman/Tanveer to establish acceptable ground situation.

Now coming to the fit-finish part.

4) if you will watch closely the bumper does not touch the door on even surface but when you drive over potholes etc and/or are parked on an incline, it will touch the bumper, infact the rear door cladding is the culprit here with vibrations in the bumper, its edge rubs against the bumper on bumpy roads causing those scratches. Design issue I would say, difficult to rectify at the T.A.S.S. I am not sure if your rear guard also narrowed the gap between the door and bumper.

- The alignment has been changed during first service so I am watching these scratches right now. It used to touch the bumper while opening the rear door.

5) Its a double sided tape, dont know if there's a hole underneath or just a standard for other variants. Have seen staples being used in some renowned brands so nothing to complain about.

- Its piece of the plastic pasted below the screw. I suspect there is break below this piece pasted and technician choose this methodology to hide it rather then change the panel.

6) These gaps are so consistent that sometimes I wonder if its done as a design to give a grooved beeding look on the panels, again standard no harm caused. I dont disagree, it can be improved.

- These grooves are not consistent - they either taper off or broaden from one end to another one. Sometimes there is unfinished edges on the corners.

7) Just try to push it back, its usually inline with the dashboard, if its pops back again, ask for a replacement under warranty. You should have checked this under your PDI.

- It doesn't stay there, and comes back. I am sure it can be changed but my gripe is that everything takes so much time to sort out. This had been pointed out before first service - they just pushed back and said sorted. When I pointed out again - they again pushed it down. They are supposed to replace it. And this replace cycle takes me again on wild chase..calling TML rep in gurgaon, asking me to speak to dealer to raise the request and dealer asking me to complaint to TML as TML doesn't listen to their complaint..etc-2. So I can only take deep breath and wait on till it crosses my head again.

All in all - I just need to define must do things - and chase the TML tail to get it done at any cost, I think I have just let it be and thought someone will take care but no one did.

And second - leave some of the things as they are, no point freting about them anymore.
Old 9th July 2009, 14:21   #14
BHPian

pic 7 - panel gap on tail gate is a potential rattler. it took me a long time to pin point that issue. If possible dampen that gap with some filler material.
chaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2009, 16:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

nice vehicle, however comes with its own problems esp or service center and backup from the company.

How did the car perform on steep inclines ? Changed Alpine ? I thought alpine was the best.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote