Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2009, 16:39   #31
Team-BHP Support
 
khan_sultan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,663
Thanked: 3,186 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
... Khan bhai this could even be at the showroom this damage could be caused due to the abusing by the guys in showroom, we cannot directly blame the TATA in this scenario.
That's what I am saying also, BUT "IF" this is not due to dealer mishandling then for sure it tells about the QC at TATA.


Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
.. More like the dealer's boys having some weekend fun which went wrong. !!!
Yeah. and the dealer knowing that once they sell it of then they can then replace parts under warranty. So it is headache for the owner and loss of reputation/confidence & money for TATA while the dealer get's all the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
... It is also possible that TATA itself produced a lemon. [...
Yeah. very much possible.
khan_sultan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 16:43   #32
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,477
Thanked: 158 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I find it hard to digest that the showroom guys can abuse the vehicle so badly as to break its chassis, and if they have, they may have damaged other parts as well (God Forbid). as the chassis is among the stongest parts of a vehicle.
As far as checking the vehicle goes, it would be great if you could come over to the showroom or if he could drive it over to your place with the Tata guys and you check it as you too are a Safari owner for quite some time now...just a suggestion...
I would have loved to help me out in this case, but unfortunately i am working in Singapore and not in India.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 16:45   #33
BHPian
 
bantejas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 273
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I find it hard to digest that the showroom guys can abuse the vehicle so badly as to break its chassis, and if they have, they may have damaged other parts as well (God Forbid). as the chassis is among the stongest parts of a vehicle.
As far as checking the vehicle goes, it would be great if you could come over to the showroom or if he could drive it over to your place with the Tata guys and you check it as you too are a Safari owner for quite some time now...just a suggestion...
They are coming over tomorrow for the TD along with me. I just had a chat with the Tata Exec at concorde and I have told him that I will not be keeping the car unless and until all the issues have been fixed. This includes a long lists of some small niggling issues too.

I talked to him about the 4x4 issue too. He said that he doesn't see the 4H blinking where as I had clearly pointed out that it doesn't blink but goes in that mode by itself. One can feel the traction when it goes into 4H Mode. Lets see what they in the store for me.
One more question:
When I put from 2H to 4H, doesn't the 4H blink for a while and then come to 4H mode? When I took the vehicle last after the ECU change, I never saw any 4H LED blinking but it used to directly glow to 4H mode. From 4H to 4L Mode, 4L keeps blinking after which it goes to 4L mode.
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 16:49   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
coolboy007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,717
Thanked: 1,440 Times
Default

I really am shocked to listen to this experience.

Agreed, Safari has many small niggles, lights stop functioning, things fall on head from interiors, with brakes etc but this is too much.
Chasis replacement , what is Tata motors thinking, its one of the most important part of a car and i have big doubts if Concorde can change the chasis properly.

You dont blame Concorde guys? As other members tell 4*4 Safaris come on order and dealers dont stock them in most cases, same was the case with Scorpio. Most likely that their driver must have banged the car somewhere.
Even lemons arent so bad that chasis welding comes off. Why they didnt allow you to see the car before buying? Saying its the same . I would have threatened to cancel booking, something is wrong somewhere, dealers allow cars to be PDI'd before final delivery.

Dont think dealers dont indulge in such practices, i know a thread here which said about banged Palio being sold by tata to a poor customer.
Hope, your car runs nicely when you get it back, getting a replacement car isnt so easy brother. One has to fight out with company officials and even consumer courts, its a long process.

Seems that even buying a car these days one has to be a little lucky and vigilant. Very much in Tata cars, people perform PDI, thats why tbhp checklists are there. It may seem time consuming but after seeing such incidents, i dont mind using 5-6 hours for checking car before buying.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 16:56   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Question Any Tata Safari Owners in Bangalore watching this thread???

I have known cars for long enough to do some good checks on the vehicle but I do not own a Safari so am not aware of its specific niggles.
I am an automobile engineer by qualification and an auto enthusiast by passion, I can accompany you tomorow to Concorde Motors if you feel I can be of use. I m a localite of Bangalore and have no issues in talking to people in their language.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
I would have loved to help me out in this case, but unfortunately i am working in Singapore and not in India.
Well, there isnt much you could do about it then....but do you know any Safari owners who could probably assist him at Bangalore?? Or people who have contacts at Concorde??


If there are any Tata Safari owners currently at Bangalore watching this thread, it would be great if you could volunteer to help our comrade here...Tommorow is a weekend as well....
Mods, any idea??

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2009 at 12:36. Reason: Removing phone number. Not a good idea to publish on an open forum.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 17:10   #36
BHPian
 
bantejas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 273
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I have known cars for long enough to do some good checks on the vehicle but I do not own a Safari so am not aware of its specific niggles.
I am an automobile engineer by qualification and an auto enthusiast by passion, I can accompany you tomorow to Concorde Motors if you feel I can be of use. I m a localite of Bangalore and have no issues in talking to people in their language.
Thanks devdath. I will surely give you a call by tonight. The TASS said that he was going to come to my place tomorrow at around 11:30 AM. This guy is a very neat guy and knows at least something. I am very unhappy with the Concorde Dealers rather than their service. If the car is not OK, I will call you and then we can perhaps go to the dealer and talk to them. Thanks a ton again.

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2009 at 12:36. Reason: Removing phone number. Not a good idea to publish on an open forum.
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 17:25   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,254
Thanked: 31 Times
Default Lets support him

Sorry to read the story. Already 3 pages to this thread within few hours of starting it.

I suspect this is either manufacturing defect (most of TATA vehicles have one or other defect) or dealer sold you accident or abused or test driven vehicle.

To be very honest my every test drive of TATA cars never ever impressed and didn't give confidence to buy one! If TATA produced at least one car which is market winner then I would haver apprciated it. TATA understands Indian mentality very well (price it much less by compromising quality) and I hope public will learn awareness of how to spend their hard earned money soon!

Lesson Learnt:: This is one more thread which prooves buying most of the TATA vehicles is nothing welcoming trouble on the head! There are only few who have extreme luck to get defect free TATA vehicle.

I wish luck to you in coming days!

Regards,

Ravi.

PS I have new idea, If batejas agree lets visit with him to showroom to figure out what could be wrong and whats solution. Lets be in total solution mode instead of back and forth discussion. Lets be practical and approach TATA people wil cool head. What do you say fellow members?

Last edited by ravibhat : 10th July 2009 at 17:34. Reason: Since this is week end lets all visit with him to showroom
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 17:50   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
simply_sunny001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London & Rohtak
Posts: 1,339
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

It doesnt seem to be a manufacturing Defect at all, but rather than a case of a accident/misuse at the dealer's end.
simply_sunny001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 17:51   #39
BHPian
 
bantejas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 273
Thanked: 29 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
Sorry to read the story. Already 3 pages to this thread within few hours of starting it.

I suspect this is either manufacturing defect (most of TATA vehicles have one or other defect) or dealer sold you accident or abused or test driven vehicle.

To be very honest my every test drive of TATA cars never ever impressed and didn't give confidence to buy one! If TATA produced at least one car which is market winner then I would haver apprciated it. TATA understands Indian mentality very well (price it much less by compromising quality) and I hope public will learn awareness of how to spend their hard earned money soon!

Lesson Learnt:: This is one more thread which prooves buying most of the TATA vehicles is nothing welcoming trouble on the head! There are only few who have extreme luck to get defect free TATA vehicle.

I wish luck to you in coming days!

Regards,

Ravi.

PS I have new idea, If batejas agree lets visit with him to showroom to figure out what could be wrong and whats solution. Lets be in total solution mode instead of back and forth discussion. Lets be practical and approach TATA people wil cool head. What do you say fellow members?
Ravi,
To me it looks like a defective car. Now that they are changing whatever that they are finding as defective, let them prove it tomorrow and in the coming days that everything is fixed. The whole of this week and next week I will keep doing some kind of testing on it.
I will be more than happy and really thankful to visit the showroom with all of you. But I am thinking that we need to give them a little time as they have done some kind of work with the car i.e., chassis has been changed and the ECU of the 4wd has been changed. If we go there, then they will ask us to check the car for any issues and then talk to them. I can still come just to fight with those people any day for the trouble that they have caused us. Personally I would like to have a new car, but I don't see that happening at all (I have lost all hopes on it).
bantejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 18:18   #40
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 780
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
...
That said 4x4s are always available on order. No dealer keeps 4x4 in yard.
So its possible that they ordered for another customer, banged it up during PDI, other customer withdrew booking, and they pawned it off to you.
....
+1.

Before my purchase in Feb this year- I had checked with all three dealers in Pune and all of them echoed that 4x4 is made to order. Earliest they can get is ~4 weeks from factory.

Please check the VIN number of your safari. It will reveal the date/batch of manufacturing at TML and also demand a copy of sales receipt from TML to Concorde (dealer). It should have the date on which dealer took the delivery from TML.

Odo can lie on kms usage. Another way (not sure where I read ?), to find out the kms/hours of (engine) running is from ECU records- which can't be reset easily. Please verify that too.

I have done 3k+ on my 4.5 months old Safari- most of them fully loaded on ghats with AC on- no issues with 4x4 mode so far. Touch wood!.

Just a suggestion- do all your communications with TML/Concorde in writing. Do keep the records intact. You should follow up your major telephone calls with facsimile/registered post/email just to keep the matter on record.

Having said all these, if the changes done by TML/Concorde fixes your issues and you are satisfied with it, I think, you can forget and move on. Take it as a new born baby born with some defects corrected by postnatal surgery. Bit of luck sometimes!

Congrats and all the best.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 10th July 2009 at 18:22.
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 20:09   #41
Distinguished - BHPian
 
4x4addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,975
Thanked: 2,497 Times
Default

I suspect this is one of those vehicles that go for Customer Test drives with the odometer disconnected. Don't mean to be rude but any intelligent customer should turn down a brand new vehicle which has serious flaws like tilting to one side. I suspect this vehicles has been seriously abused in 4x4 mode by some of the sales reps at concorde.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th July 2009 at 20:38. Reason: Please use decent language when posting on Team-BHP. We have readers of varied ages & backgrounds.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 20:28   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Thumbs up Suggest going to the dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by bantejas View Post
Thanks devdath. I will surely give you a call by tonight. The TASS said that he was going to come to my place tomorrow at around 11:30 AM. This guy is a very neat guy and knows at least something. I am very unhappy with the Concorde Dealers rather than their service. If the car is not OK, I will call you and then we can perhaps go to the dealer and talk to them. Thanks a ton again.
Hi bantejas,
I would suggest going to the dealership and picking up the car from there as we would be able to see the changed parts, have the car jacked up and have a detailed look at the fittings with the car lifted. Also, is is essential to take photographs just in case....Lets talk it out on the call.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 20:48   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Default Lets meet tommorow....

Hi Tejas,
I have spoken to Happy Wheels and we are waiting for your call so that we can meet at Concorde tommorow. I am trying to call Ravi but his phone is continously busy for some reason.
Ravi,
Can you please give me a call on my cell phone one you see this, Thanks dude
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 20:53   #44
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 780
Thanked: 128 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you read the first post on this thread, the OP has clearly mentioned that the vehicle was tilted to a side. Inspite of that he took delivery of the vehicle.
Something weird is going on at Concorde, and Tata should investigate
I will side with Tanveer. TML may not have anything to do with this except owning up the responsibility to rectify the issues, being the parent company. Why did Concorde accept the piece from TML in the first place if the tilt was so obvious?

To me it looks like a hand-in-glove work of dealer's sales manager and/or the driver who take the cars out for demo-ing to the prospective customers. Car might have met with an accident damaging its under-body/ transfer case/chassis hit etc while demoing.- Since, it was not a registered(insured)/demo vehicle- the driver just got the car back and parked it quietly in the godown, possibly, without even higher ups in Concord Motors knowing about it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I find it hard to digest that the showroom guys can abuse the vehicle so badly as to break its chassis
It is possible. Mind you it is 2.2 ton monster and even at 30kmph has enough momentum and energy to destroy all metal underneath it. What if, during a testing session driver in his jest to demo the the 4x4 prowess hit some rock/ditch underneath?

When I was test driving the 4x4 Safari with a Pune dealer- we had chosen a construction site to test the 4H/4L modes and it had precarious terrain. Thankfully it was a demo vehicle and the driver had a sane mind.

-BJ

Last edited by bj96 : 10th July 2009 at 21:01.
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2009, 21:02   #45
Senior - BHPian
 
n.devdath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,962
Thanked: 1,714 Times
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj96 View Post
It is possible. Mind you it is 2.2 ton monster and even at 30kmph has enough momentum and energy to destroy all metal underneath it. What if, during a testing session driver in his jest to demo the the 4x4 prowess hit some rock/ditch underneath?

When I was test driving the 4x4 Safari with a Pune dealer- we had chosen a construction site to test the 4H/4L modes and it had precarious terrain. Thankfully it was a demo vehicle and the driver had a sane mind.

-BJ
I do not completely disagree with your point but the chassis of any vehicle per se is the longest lasting part of the vehicle especially in a ladder construction.
I have seen many trucks which are decades old but have a joint free chassis.
A 2.2 ton engine doesnt make a difference to it. Yes if the driverhits a ditch, the suspension should have been damaged as well along with at least some body parts like the sump, the bumpers and the wheel rims.
n.devdath is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TATA SAFARI - Journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step TheARUN Long-Term Ownership Reviews 111 8th October 2013 20:06
Safari Common Rail Engine Launch? EDIT 010805 Now driven. Edit 190805 Now BOUGHT!!! Steeroid The Indian Car Scene 277 13th July 2009 23:14
Mountain Green Tata Safari VX 4x4 Booked. EDIT : Now driving it! sen2009 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 156 3rd May 2009 22:30
New Safari or Used Safari-Help EDIT: Booked New LX now gops SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 92 7th April 2009 20:25
never ending search for mile munching machine Rach What Car? 20 24th January 2009 23:22


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:21.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks