Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th September 2009, 16:33   #286
Senior - BHPian

Amit, 18.xx is indeed great fe. Is it in the city?

Regarding the usb error issue, what i'd suggest you to do is to switch source before you turn off the car, ie, once you are done listening to the songs on the drive, just turn on the tuner, and then switch off the car, the light on the drive should not be blinking then. If u keep turning switching off the car, when the drive is being accessed, it'll have some bad sectors in no time.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 17:46   #287
Senior - BHPian

The USB problem is solved. I deleted a folder of songs and reinserted the stick and it's working perfectly now. I will try and remove the stick every 2-3 days when parking for the night and see if this problem reoccurs.

Quote:
Amit, 18.xx is indeed great fe. Is it in the city?
It's 60-65% highway driving with ACC on, 2 people on board and tyre pressure at manufacturer recommended level.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 17:56   #288
Team-BHP Support

Amit,

With all that money you've saved by getting amazing fuel economy, why don't you slap on some tasty white powder coated 17" O.Z. Superturinos or steel brushed Superleggera IIIs???
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 17:46   #289

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Clutch cylinder was replaced so no overhaul.

I didn't have any issues and I don't feel any difference in pre and post service clutch operation. SA said minor leak was found and hence they decided to replace the clutch cylinder.

Good to know that the part was in stock .
I got my Punto MJD Emotion on 29th August. On 9th September, I was taking the car out from my house. When I tried to engage the 2nd gear, the clutch failed suddenly. The clutch pedal was stuck and not returning to the normal position. I managed to push the car back to my house with my neighbours. I called the dealer helpline and they came to my house the next day and repaired the car. They said the problem was with the clutch master cylinder which had developed some leak. The part was replaced under warranty. The problem occurred at about 780 km. Now the odometer shows 992 km. Hope this does not happen to anyone!
jathin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 20:40   #290
BHPian

vahanPujari,

I recall you had a similar experience once.
Time for a TASS visit now

Quote:
Originally Posted by jathin View Post
I got my Punto MJD Emotion on 29th August. On 9th September, I was taking the car out from my house. When I tried to engage the 2nd gear, the clutch failed suddenly. The clutch pedal was stuck and not returning to the normal position. I managed to push the car back to my house with my neighbours. I called the dealer helpline and they came to my house the next day and repaired the car. They said the problem was with the clutch master cylinder which had developed some leak. The part was replaced under warranty. The problem occurred at about 780 km. Now the odometer shows 992 km. Hope this does not happen to anyone!
neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 21:56   #291
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
vahanPujari,

I recall you had a similar experience once.
Time for a TASS visit now
OOPS

I just visited TASS yday, had I known it, would have got it checked. Shall call Michael tomorrow.
No, I would really hate to visit TASS so soon now. I could pull up the clutch with my hands that day & it never happened nor were there any signs of happening again

But still, any possibility of visiting TASS makes me -->
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 22:03   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
OOPS

I just visited TASS yday, had I known it, would have got it checked. Shall call Michael tomorrow.
No, I would really hate to visit TASS so soon now. I could pull up the clutch with my hands that day & it never happened nor were there any signs of happening again

But still, any possibility of visiting TASS makes me -->
Amit,

never take any chances with your linea's clutch related issues
because if the car stalls on road, it would be more expensive than a TASS visit.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 22:43   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
OOPS
Amit,
If am not wrong, you have covered more than a 1000 kms after that clutch incident. If it had been a leak, clutch must have been rendered useless by now though its working so fine.

Go to TASS only if problem comes again, no need to visit if clutch is behaving normally.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 22:52   #294
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Amit,
If am not wrong, you have covered more than a 1000 kms after that clutch incident. If it had been a leak, clutch must have been rendered useless by now though its working so fine.

Go to TASS only if problem comes again, no need to visit if clutch is behaving normally.
Not 1000 kms but 3000 kms with a trip to Goa followed by a trip to Lonavala. I tend to agree with you.

But StarVB has a point. Atleast I'll speak to the SA tom.
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 23:11   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not 1000 kms but 3000 kms with a trip to Goa followed by a trip to Lonavala. I tend to agree with you.
But StarVB has a point. Atleast I'll speak to the SA tom.
Aghh, i couldnt understand how a stuck clutch can cause an accident.
Eg. You are in 2nd gear at 30 and press clutch and it doesnt come back and your car comes to a halt slowly. People behind you wont bang in, they will blow horns and you switch on emergency lights (flickers).

I mean your car cant come to a screeching halt at a speed of 50-60 or am missing something?
Do talk to SA, anyways 3000 kms is a lot.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 12:37   #296
Senior - BHPian

The Punto is making me take long but totally unnecessary drives. On friday, I drove to Sunny da dhaba, Lonavala for lunch and yesterday I was back there for dinner! Reason was that I just wanted to drive the car . Who said it's not fun to drive?

Since the car has done over 3300kms, I decided to give it some stick yesterday but due to fast fading light and traffic while returning I didn't exceed 110-115kmph. I was all the way to Lonavala and back. The high speed stability of this car is just amazing. Nothing and I really mean NOTHING bother's or irritates the Punto. Regulars on this road will know that the expressway surface isn't the smoothest around specially over culvert's and bridges but the Punto was ROCK steady all the way, at 110 I felt like I was doing 70! The climb up the ghats was despatched with relative ease by the car, it climbs up more easily then petrol's - I guess diesel torque at work there. Keep the turbo spinning (applicable for any turbo engine) and the car scampers up the ghats and at times also was snapping right behind some petrol's.

On the straights I tried to keep the rev over 2500rpm, got it upto 2700rpm for a few kilometers and the diesel drone is omnipresent at anything 2.5K rpm and over. It feels like it does when you sit on the wings of an aircraft. I guess there are quieter diesel engine's around but while the noise was present it wasn't irritating or obstrusive in a major way.

Name:  IMG_0023.JPG
Views: 961
Size:  63.6 KB

Fiat Grande Punto Multijet Emotion PK-img_0025.jpg

We left Kharghar at 6.15pm and I was back in Chembur by 10pm. Isnt' it amazing what one road can do to the mobiilty of people and the economy of the country. A few years back going for dinner to Lonavala would have been unthinkable.

Last edited by amit : 14th September 2009 at 12:39.
Old 14th September 2009, 14:34   #297
BHPian

Great, good to see you enjoying the Italian Beauty upto its fullest. Indeed the handling is impeccable.

You said it right, that nothing can beat it in the currently available Hatchbacks in its segment.

Some Questions to you:

1. What was the FE you got ?
2. Is there any difference in the Engine Sound / Performance after clocking 3300 KMS ?
3. Any Rattles Squeaks ?
4. Any of the Plastic parts falling off ?
5. Any other Issues which you want to highlight ?

And, Hope to be with you on a Lunch @Lonavala very soon .

Enjoy..!!

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 14th September 2009 at 14:36.
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 17:49   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
What was the FE you got ?
MID was showing 21.1kmpl.

Quote:
Is there any difference in the Engine Sound / Performance after clocking 3300 KMS ?
Engine sound is the same. Performance has marginally improved with the engine freeing up. I can feel the car ever ready to lunge ahead. The MJD engine is a jewel, no wonder it's made fans all over the world. I don't have much expereince with diesel's but this MJD seems very rev happy.

Quote:
Any Rattles Squeaks ?
None.

Quote:
Any of the Plastic parts falling off ?
No.

Quote:
And, Hope to be with you on a Lunch @Lonavala very soon .
Sure. Would be fun. But at Sunny's dhaba? If you are non-veg you will have fun. If not, only the journey to there in the Punto will be fun for you .
Old 14th September 2009, 20:47   #299
BHPian

a question about the start up procedure ?
do you press the clutch fully while starting the car.The manual says so.
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 21:00   #300
BHPian

@ms001
I see mr.punto in your sig . Which variant? please post your ownership experience and some photos
SilentEngine is online now   Reply With Quote