Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th September 2009, 20:43   #331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VahanPujari View Post
Amit

I experienced Khat sound (which you talked about earlier) today while starting the car. Car was parked with handbrake pulled up for 2 days. What is it which could be causing this sound?
Should we stop using handbrake while parking & engage gears? I've a habit of parking with handbrake pulled up.
If it is of any help, even in Uno similar problem exists. Leaving the car parked for a day or two with parking brake engaged sort of jams the wheel. I feel it has something to do with brake fluid staying retained in the lines till brake cylinder is activated. Ever since i started parking with gear engaged, this problem disappeared. Now I use parking brake only for short durations, like on a slope while in traffic conditions.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2009, 23:41   #332
Senior - BHPian

Default Gumming of brakes

If the parking brake is engaged for a long time, there is a tendency for the pads/liners to get stuck to the disc/drum, more so if the weather is humid or if the car is washed and there is a chance for water to get in. This is because the pads/liners and drums always have some powdery stuff which is a mix of worn brake stuff, muck from the roads and metal - add water to this and hey presto you have a glue!

Not to worry this is common and not restricted to Fiats.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2009, 17:24   #333
BHPian

Hey Amit, Amogh!

I tried what you guys suggested and the results were quite positive. For the last 60km I have been averaging 17.5 kmpl! These 60 kms have been peak traffic (HNJ - CAMP - HNJ)

Have a look at the details here in my ownership report thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-report-9.html (Emotion Pack Fiat Punto MJD Ownership Report)
Crimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 12:01   #334
Senior - BHPian

Waiting at a traffic light in Chembur, a Zen Estilo was frantically waving at me asking me to roll down the window which I did:

Estilo: How is this car?
Me: Fabulous! It's really great.
Estilo: Your's is diesel?
Me: yes.
Estilo: So it's really good right?
Me: Oh yea. It is! I am enjoying every moment with it.
Estilo: Thanks for the information.

Isnt' is amazing how a down in the dump's manufacturer's product is getting so much of interest. Just shows that people can recognise a good product. Only thing holding them back is the Fiat badge. I can imagine what the Punto would do to competition if Fiat had not bungled in the past. Come on Fiat, bring on the VGT and expand the Punto range.

Quote:
Amit

I experienced Khat sound (which you talked about earlier) today while starting the car. Car was parked with handbrake pulled up for 2 days. What is it which could be causing this sound?
Should we stop using handbrake while parking & engage gears? I've a habit of parking with handbrake pulled up.
I think it's the handbrake. Maybe if we change the setting's it will not exert too much of pressure and this issue will stop. I say this because on slopes, I have to click about 3 times in my SX4 to stop it but in the Punto just 1 click ensures the car stays where it is.

VP, it's a good practice to park the car without handbrake engaged (if you are not parking on a slope) if you plan to keep it parked for a few days. I always ensure handbrake is not engaged if my car's are not going to move for minimum of 2 days.

Last edited by amit : 19th September 2009 at 12:07.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 13:34   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Isnt' is amazing how a down in the dump's manufacturer's product is getting so much of interest. Just shows that people can recognise a good product. Only thing holding them back is the Fiat badge. I can imagine what the Punto would do to competition if Fiat had not bungled in the past. Come on Fiat, bring on the VGT and expand the Punto range.
That's so true. I feel Fiat needs to advertise aggressively about their servicing now to create brand awareness. They have a good product, and the fears need to be dispelled from people's minds about the "hawwa" of A.S.S. or re-sale value. To some extent, they have managed to kill one ghost of "Fiat's Fuel guzzlers" .
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 23:43   #336
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post
OT:

@Amit, sharma_sanjeevi, Roms

Are you guys coming for the Pune-Mumbai TBHP meet at Lonavla on 20th ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
Thanks for invite, Amit Bhai, Roms let me know of your availability, we can plan for this one atleast if you guys are available.
Oops! Just saw these messages. A bit too late in the day I guess. Nevertheless, I would have loved to attend the meet happening tomorrow, unfortunately will be working on a Sunday due to work commitments. Anyways, hope to catch up for the next one and enjoy your lovely meet Amogh & Sanjeev. Amit & Amit(Vahan Pujari) are you guys going?

Last edited by roms : 19th September 2009 at 23:47.
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 23:55   #337
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Oops! Just saw these messages. A bit too late in the day I guess. Nevertheless, I would have loved to attend the meet happening tomorrow, unfortunately will be working on a Sunday due to work commitments. Anyways, hope to catch up for the next one and enjoy your lovely meet Amogh & Sanjeev. Amit & Amit(Vahan Pujari) are you guys going?
Romil

No, not going. Had a bad back, just "restored" after painstaking difficulties. And also, I checked none of you guys were going . I thought of PMing you guys but did not see your names in the list.
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 16:57   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Folks, I have recieved a quote of Rs.1,500 for Llumar sunfilms for windows and rear windsheild including labour. It's for the SR-35 Platinum series. I am swinging between Llumar and 3M. Dealer says 3M's 35 series is darker. Question is are the prices correct? It was at a reputed and trusted shop at Sector 17 Vashi, Navi Mumbai.
Hi Amit can you PM me the Vashi Shop details? I am also planning to get a 3M/Llumar film installed.
arishi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 11:20   #339
Senior - BHPian

I think the change that has left me amazed since the past 3 days can now be disclosed. It's the fourth day today and the change seems here to stay. So, I am giving a heads up to fellow punter's. Keep a watch for this in your cars.

On sunday, I drove to Lonavala and drove back on Monday. Somewhere along the journey I crossed 4,000kms and by the time I got back to work on Monday morning the odo was at about 4,150kms. In the evening the MultiJet engine was suddenly very quiet and refined, so refined that I almost was straining to listen to the engine at idling. I started driving and the refinement continued, second gear 2000 -2500 rpm, the engine sound was there, but it was not cluttery but smooth with a sporty gruff and yes, refined. So different was the engine behaving that even a female co-passenger asked me "Have you done something? Why is the car so quiet today?"

So the observation started from Sunday evening. It's holding up and even today the engine is silent and refined. To be honest, I haven't driven consistantly at 110-120kmph / 2500 - 2700 rpm since the refinement came in so top speed engine refinement results are still not out. It surely feels like there will be an improvement though.

So drastic is the improvement, that it feels like there is a different engine in the car! Any punter's here who have finished 4k Kms please tell me if your MJD is behaving the same way. I don't remember any Linea MJD owner commenting on this though. But, my Punto has left me really amazed.

Do note that the refinement is there even on cold starts where diesel's are notorious for loud sound.

Last edited by amit : 24th September 2009 at 11:22.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 11:42   #340
BHPian

Quote:
I think the change that has left me amazed since the past 3 days can now be disclosed. It's the fourth day today and the change seems here to stay. So, I am giving a heads up to fellow punter's. Keep a watch for this in your cars.

On sunday, I drove to Lonavala and drove back on Monday. Somewhere along the journey I crossed 4,000kms and by the time I got back to work on Monday morning the odo was at about 4,150kms. In the evening the MultiJet engine was suddenly very quiet and refined, so refined that I almost was straining to listen to the engine at idling. I started driving and the refinement continued, second gear 2000 -2500 rpm, the engine sound was there, but it was not cluttery but smooth with a sporty gruff and yes, refined. So different was the engine behaving that even a female co-passenger asked me "Have you done something? Why is the car so quiet today?"

So the observation started from Sunday evening. It's holding up and even today the engine is silent and refined. To be honest, I haven't driven consistantly at 110-120kmph / 2500 - 2700 rpm since the refinement came in so top speed engine refinement results are still not out. It surely feels like there will be an improvement though.

So drastic is the improvement, that it feels like there is a different engine in the car! Any punter's here who have finished 4k Kms please tell me if your MJD is behaving the same way. I don't remember any Linea MJD owner commenting on this though. But, my Punto has left me really amazed.

Do note that the refinement is there even on cold starts where diesel's are notorious for loud sound.
I can vouch for the same Amit. My Punto is with in touching distance of 5k kms and now that you mentioned it, I can confirm that I have seen the engine get better ever since I crossed 2k kms. However the improvement in refinement over the last 1.5k kms (from 3.5k kms onwards) has left me a little puzzled. I thought it was just me but now I have company. More Punto owners can confirm once they reach 4k-5k mileage in their cars.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 11:46   #341
Senior - BHPian

Amit,

Am surprised,
No Linea MJD owner, even those who have completed 11-12k kms have experienced something like this. I always thought that engine can turn smooth after 4-5k kms but in your case the noise level has gone down drastically. Did you complete run in nicely?

If a co-passenger commented, that too female then there sure is there a welcomed change.
Punto MJD owners will be the best to comment here i think, has noone done 4000 kms till now?

In Linea MJD, noise inside the cabin is almost minimal at idle when i went for TD though it becomes harsh at 100-110. IF that goes away in Punto, then its fantastic.
coolboy007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 11:56   #342
JVH
Senior - BHPian

A colleague of mine has the Palio MJD. His observations are similar to yours but after 8k of driving.

Does it have to do anything with the running in of the engine?
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 12:48   #343
Senior - BHPian

It's nice for me to hear that there is improvement in the NVH and refinement in your Punto.My Punto is yet to reach 4k kms :( Hope that I will be able to experience the same
I wish you Happy and Safe Motoring

Last edited by Klub Class : 24th September 2009 at 12:50.
Klub Class is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 13:19   #344
BHPian

thats heartening, Amit! But, it'll be interesting to know whether this new found refinement exists even in higher speeds/rpms?
royalcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2009, 13:34   #345
Senior - BHPian

Amit, that's great news. Let us know what kind of technique you followed for the run in period.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote