Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th July 2009, 21:07   #16
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Congrats and welcome to the GTX club!

A used GTX is really a steal if it is well maintained and yours looks like a pristine example.

If I were you, I would do a little bit of interior overhaul starting with seat covers.

Enjoy the beast!

Last edited by JVH : 14th July 2009 at 21:17.
JVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 21:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Bejeezus. That's ONE MINT car!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 21:25   #18
BHPian

Thank you all for the wishes.
Quote:
What's that black knob like thing to the north-east of the ignition? Is it OE, 'cause it's not present in my 1.6 Sports.
Beats me. !! . Even I was not able to find it out from the user manual. Swayer, could you enlighten us what it is.(He is the prev owner)

Quote:
The car looks really well maintained sir
Few of my advices
1.Get the interiors cleaned and put some nice seat covers
2.Replace the FIAT monogram at the tail gate
3.Get some good ICE.
4.Polish the dashboard and other plastics.
Yes. I'm planning for seat covers. I din't find the FIAT monogram odd. As said above no splurging on ICE.(no conviction in my statement. ).

I got the vehicle serviced today at Concorde ,Mysore road. There could have been a goof up in the engine oil. I asked for Selina engine oil and they got the engine oil recommended for diesel engines(API- CI ) standard. I had read somewhere in the forum that some service station had used diesel engine oil for a petrol engine. They were insisting it's the same engine oil used for both petrol and diesel Linea. I stood my ground. I asked them either to get the engine oil recommended for petrol engines or to get the normal Castrol.

They came back after 5 mins with Selina engine oil recommended for petrol engines(API-SM). The manual recommends API-SG. This is supposed to be synthetic oil and costs 640/litre.

Here is the cost breakup.

1. oil filter aasly: 112.56
2. clutch cylinder:1240
3. rear brake cylinder: 465
4. Selina engine oil 4 ltrs: 2560
5. brake liquid : 87
6. Engine flush: 760
7. paid service : 1800
8. labour for brake cylinder: 300
9. labour for clutch cylinder replacement : 600

TOTAL: Rs 8342. Out of which 3816 is the labour charges..

The issue of A/c is not yet solved. They checked the service history of the car by giving the chassis no and were able to see that a/c compressor and condenser were already changed in July 08. They were now suspecting the issue to be in thermistor or condenser valve.
Could anybody guide me to an independent a/c mechanic in Banaglore.

Last edited by bkishore_77 : 14th July 2009 at 21:39.
bkishore_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 21:33   #19
BHPian

Periodic paid service costs Rs 1800 or is that a typo?
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 21:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

[quote=bkishore_77;1384229]Thank you all for the wishes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
What's that black knob like thing to the north-east of the ignition? Is it OE, 'cause it's not present in my 1.6 Sports.
/quote] Beats me. !! . Even I was not able to find it out from the user manual. Swayer, could you enlighten us what it is.(He is the prev owner)

I think I will leave you with some more time to see if you can figure it out
Why are you finding the need to replace the clutch and brake cylinders? And why are you not making a straightforward engine oil change? I am not sure you need the flush either - but having said that, welcome to the world of keeping the GTX in the condition it has been kept for 8 years, but for me it was time to move on
I am pleasantly surprised to note that the compressor change could be tracked - it was done in Fiat Pune, but I am impressed...and I would be curious to get a confirmation that what I told you it would cost to get it fixed is correct.
All the best with the car.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 21:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Periodic paid service costs Rs 1800 or is that a typo?
No it's not a typo. The service adviser said it 1350 +450. 450 is for the brake cleaning it seems. I asked if that is not part of the paid service for which he replied the regular paid service is 1800 and we are showing this as break up.
Old 14th July 2009, 21:49   #22
BHPian

Quote:
..and I would be curious to get a confirmation that what I told you it would cost to get it fixed is correct.
All the best with the car.
I never doubted that ...Did I? 25k of course ....
Old 14th July 2009, 21:51   #23
BHPian

That's a huge amount for a mere wash and polish of the car. They anyways slap labour charges on each and everything they do.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 21:55   #24
BHPian

Beautiful Ride, may I suggest a Stanley Interior (Seats, Doorpanels, Gear-knobs) and a nice ICE to stir things up a bit more.

Could you share how you feel on the interiors holding up, rattles etc? and the brakes - how good are these to stop the beast?

Finally could you possibly share the details of the deal? (You could send me a PM if you would rather not post it on the forum)

Enjoy!
Zensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 22:27   #25
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the car Kishore! Wish you many miles of rev happy motoring on the GTX
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 23:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I think I will leave you with some more time to see if you can figure it out
How did you ever manage to fit a cigarette lighter there?! I must say the location is convenient (to the driver), non-smokers be warned - a cigarette lighter in this location can be used only to light cigarettes and not as a power source.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 23:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
The issue of A/c is not yet solved. They checked the service history of the car by giving the chassis no and were able to see that a/c compressor and condenser were already changed in July 08. They were now suspecting the issue to be in thermistor or condenser valve.
Could anybody guide me to an independent a/c mechanic in Banaglore.
Kishore, I have seen one place very near to our homes. Please call me, I will explain you the location. I haven't been there anytime, but there's no harm in checking.
akbaree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2009, 23:34   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zensi View Post
Could you share how you feel on the interiors holding up, rattles etc? and the brakes - how good are these to stop the beast?
Finally could you possibly share the details of the deal? (You could send me a PM if you would rather not post it on the forum)
The interiors are holding up well in the sense that nothing is an eye sore.. Brakes are definitely a worry in wet or gravel surface. In my journey from Pune to B'lore, I had to brake hard on seeing the hump in the last minute and the car skidded a few meters in straight line. I guess this could be the leak in the rear brake cylinder which could have reulted in locking of the brake. This was replaced today. My safari brakes are much more confidence inspiring(it comes with abs).

The sun film has lost its shade and it looks like a 70% translucent ( though originally it must have been 50%)

As far as the deal, it is completely a white deal. . I paid 1.35 lacs.
Old 14th July 2009, 23:57   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkishore_77 View Post
As far as the deal, it is completely a white deal. . I paid 1.35 lacs.
Congrats Kishore, for that price it's daylight robbery. The car looks in pristine condition including the interiors. Except for the drab grey look inside ( which can be easily changed with some two-tone colored seat covers) everything looks to be tip-top.

Enjoy the GTX and drive safe !!!
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2009, 00:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Congratulations. The world is divided between the people who have driven a Palio 1.6 and those that have not. Now you are no longer one of the others.

Cheers,
+1. As a proud owner of the FIAT Adventure, I can tell you that this is one hell of a machine. By the looks of it, Mr. Kumar seems to have really taken care of the car. Beautiful machine and a great colour.

I would recommend that you take good care of the car as it will demand some attention however, it will serve you good if you give it time.

On the AC problem, it is very likely that the thermostat is the problem. I think it costs close to 10K and your problem should be resolved by its replacement. To what I recall, the thermostat can be reset too and works out much cheaper. It though may still not resolve the issue.

Here's wishing you a pleasurable drive on this piece of art
nishant_kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote