Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2009, 15:15   #46
BHPian
 
sriku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 323
Thanked: 167 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
sriku the Bolero may be in full form now after the service by the A.S.S. I read about the theft attempt in your first post on day one.The archaic fuel tank locks need to be done away with by M&M. One pays about Rs 7L and still gets the Fiat 1100D /Premier Padmini (1960's) kinda locks.
Another glaring fault in the older Boleros (till even a year back I suppose) were the large star screws fastening the doors from outside. That can be unscrewed by anyone to dismantle the doors fully.
The newer Boleros (including yours) have the doors screwed from the inside.
Totally agree about the archaic security features and lack of attention to detail. I didn't know that older Bolero's had the screws from the outside! That's simply negligence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Nice crisp review of the Bolero. Happy to see more and more satisfied Bolero owners.

All the best with the ride.
Thanks Sirji, I am definitely a satisfied Bolero owner, and happily so are my family. Initially they were pushing for a petrol hatchback, but now that they are used to the massive proportions of the Bolero, and the road presence that goes along with it, they are glad I didn't opt for a smaller car.

Cheers,
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 15:32   #47
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Totally agree about the archaic security features and lack of attention to detail. I didn't know that older Bolero's had the screws from the outside! That's simply negligence...
Thats not negligence, thats a awesome feature to potray rugged nature of the vehicle. I don't think any Bolero would have got stolen by the thief opening the door screw from the hinges. Come to think to it, I have never heard a MM540 Soft Top/ Gypsy Soft Top ever getting stolen. As a matter of fact for your knowledge, nothing has changed now except M&M just putting a plastic cladding on the hinges to give an hogwash to the customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Thanks Sirji, I am definitely a satisfied Bolero owner, and happily so are my family. Initially they were pushing for a petrol hatchback, but now that they are used to the massive proportions of the Bolero, and the road presence that goes along with it, they are glad I didn't opt for a smaller car.

Cheers,
I don't exactly agree to this. If I leave the last row out, the space available is at par my Uno or Palio. The only place that has massive proportions on the inside is the Driver seat. I find the driving position much better than Scorpio or Xylo or any other SUV (entirely my opinion)
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2009, 15:43   #48
BHPian
 
sriku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 323
Thanked: 167 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I don't exactly agree to this. If I leave the last row out, the space available is at par my Uno or Palio. The only place that has massive proportions on the inside is the Driver seat. I find the driving position much better than Scorpio or Xylo or any other SUV (entirely my opinion)
I agree with you MC, but what I meant about massive proportions were the external proportions and road presence, and the ability to seat 4 six-footers with more comfort than say a smaller hatchback. My folks find it difficult to crouch and crawl into the ikon, and the step up entry (easier) into the Bolero has them very pleased.

That being said, the midrow leg room is barely enough if the front seats are pushed all the way back, and I'm always annoyed that the midrow seats don't fold down or up to increase cargo room. In any case, the minute the seats start to show signs of wear, I'm going to replace them with custom ones in the front and a foldable one in the midrow and none in the rear. So many things to customize, so little money :(
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2010, 12:08   #49
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Bolero DI

Hi Sriku,

Glad to know you are enjoying the drive and quite happy with Bolero.

Personally I love Bolero and have been thinking to buy one for almost an year now. My Indica has done 70K+ and I want to upgrade to a bigger vehicle now. Looking at the simplicity of Bolero's engine (DI Turbo and not CRDe VLX) and design I opt for this any day however family is quite inclined towards Xylo for the features it offers. Moreover the price difference is also negligible for the available features.

Two months back I took the test drive of a Bolero SLX with family and their feedback was that it is a bit cramped and interiors didn't appeal them much. My perspective is that interiors can be further enhanced and seats etc can be modified. But the kind of confidence this vehicle will give when we are on our trip to remote areas of Himachal/ Uttaranchal or any other area, that confidence might not be equalant in other vehicles.

Any more pointers which can somehow eliminate this confusion and help in deciding whether to go for Bolero or Xylo?

Excuse me if I don't make any sense here...
adsaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 18:27   #50
BHPian
 
sriku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 323
Thanked: 167 Times
Default

Sirji, thanks for the comment. Apart from the price-tag, in my opinion, for a family vehicle the Xylo is certainly more prudent. A bolero will not be as comfortable, quick and spacious as the Xylo. In my opinion, the Bolero is not a family mover, its a utility vehicle that offers enough room for cargo and enough power and durability for crappy roads. Maintenance is not expensive. The Bolero SLX is in its element when carrying loads of cargo across the State highways and broken roads in India. However, it feels a little out of place on the National Highways and city streets, where the Xylo simply outperforms on most counts. The Xylo is very spacious, quicker and has the refinement that the Bolero lacks. I was never in two minds when I chose the bolero because my primary reason to get it was to abuse it on broken roads where the xylo would bankrupt me. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2010, 13:02   #51
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Delhi
Posts: 6
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Thanks

Thanks Sriku for the detailed explanation. This has really helped. I will focus on Xylo now.

Thanks
Aman
adsaini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 08:13   #52
BHPian
 
darxide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: pune,mh
Posts: 71
Thanked: 27 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I drive the XD3P albeit with a Bosch CRDI system and beileive me its a pocket rocket. But doesn't return mileage like the DI Turbo which (no offences meant) is very sluggish and one needs to work on it to get something out.
sir is it that the engine in your bolero is the same xd3p but only with a Bosch CRDI system. is it possible to modify my xd3p the same to improve the performance?
darxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 09:25   #53
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by darxide View Post
sir is it that the engine in your bolero is the same xd3p but only with a Bosch CRDI system. is it possible to modify my xd3p the same to improve the performance?
The basic engine block is the same but there are lot of modifications also. And the cost of doing this transformation including getting a turbo and an intercooler may not be worth it. So I would suggest looking at other performance mods like FIP settings.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2014, 17:14   #54
BHPian
 
zalaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: GJ 1
Posts: 295
Thanked: 234 Times
Default Re: Buying and initial ownership report: Mahindra Bolero SLX DI Turbo 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Sirji, thanks for the comment. Apart from the price-tag, in my opinion, for a family vehicle the Xylo is certainly more prudent. A bolero will not be as comfortable, quick and spacious as the Xylo. In my opinion, the Bolero is not a family mover, its a utility vehicle that offers enough room for cargo and enough power and durability for crappy roads. Maintenance is not expensive. The Bolero SLX is in its element when carrying loads of cargo across the State highways and broken roads in India. However, it feels a little out of place on the National Highways and city streets, where the Xylo simply outperforms on most counts. The Xylo is very spacious, quicker and has the refinement that the Bolero lacks. I was never in two minds when I chose the bolero because my primary reason to get it was to abuse it on broken roads where the xylo would bankrupt me. Hope it helps.

Cheers,
Hey Sriku,
It's been good 4 years passed by. I hope you are holding on to the bolero. I think it is good time to share your long term experiences!
zalaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2014, 08:25   #55
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NH209
Posts: 1,607
Thanked: 701 Times
Default Re: Buying and initial ownership report: Mahindra Bolero SLX DI Turbo 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post

Cheers,

Sriku

Waiting for updates about your ownership experiences(including service).

Cheers.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 18:39   #56
BHPian
 
sriku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Thane
Posts: 323
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: Buying and initial ownership report: Mahindra Bolero SLX DI Turbo 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalaps View Post
Hey Sriku,
It's been good 4 years passed by. I hope you are holding on to the bolero. I think it is good time to share your long term experiences!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Sriku

Waiting for updates about your ownership experiences(including service).

Cheers.
Unfortunately, my brief ownership was less than a year (~9 months) after which the bolero was stolen. Will be TD-ing the 2015 Bolero for sure, I'm still fascinated by it.
Cheers.
sriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2013 Mahindra Bolero SLX: Initial Ownership Review Boomerang Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 30 21st October 2013 13:10
Bolero SLX DI turbo or VLX Crde? EDIT : Booked Scorpio! akshay4587 SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 79 27th July 2010 22:58
Mahindra Bolero----- GLX to SLX jraj The Indian Car Scene 14 25th March 2010 10:51
Tata Sumo Victa GX Turbo OR Mahindra Bolero SLX Victa_OR_Bolero SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 23 9th February 2010 20:48
Bolero SLX -MDI 3200 Turbo --Underpowered!! ulytel Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 6 18th August 2006 17:42


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks