Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th August 2009, 12:19   #31
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
@Carlover - Can you comment upon practicality of cruise control feature? Since you live in NCR, on which expressway could you use it?
I live in Gurgaon and work in Delhi, so I use the Gurgaon expressway. I normally leave for work quite early, so traffic is a bit low. The cruise control really is a boon, I set it on 90 kmph and just relax for the 18 km of the expressway driving. Very convenient.

On my return trip in the evenings, the traffic is generally higher so I have not been able to use the CC throughout (too much of lane cutting and weaving in traffic taking place), but I do try to switch it on whenever there is a clear path for a few km
car.lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2009, 19:31   #32

Hi Carlover, congrats on your purchase I got mine on last monday. I have also used cruise control a couple of times on the gurgaon expressway and both the times i felt some loss of power/speed, both the times I immediately pressed "increase speed (+)" button on the steering and the speed stablized/did not go down, have you felt experienced anything like this?
ukoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2009, 16:03   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoul View Post
Hi Carlover, congrats on your purchase I got mine on last monday. I have also used cruise control a couple of times on the gurgaon expressway and both the times i felt some loss of power/speed, both the times I immediately pressed "increase speed (+)" button on the steering and the speed stablized/did not go down, have you felt experienced anything like this?

Congrats on your purchase ukoul, and welcome to the club! What colour / specs did you buy? From which dealer? How was the experience?

With respect to your cruise control query, I am not sure I exactly understood it. My experience is that if one is travelling at a particular speed, and presses the speed (+) button, then the CC sets in at the speed one is travelling at.
Thereafter, this speed can be increased or decreased by pressing the speed (+) or (-) buttons respectively. Hope this was useful
car.lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 20:55   #34

Hi Car.lover, thaks your reply. My bad, I wasn't clear enough. I actually went through the entire owner's manual (and realized that I should have done it the as soon I got the delivery, but better late than never) and figured out that I was actually pressing the wrong button on the steering. I was using "Res/Coast" button instead of "Speed +" button. I thought "Res/Coast" was to be used to put the vehicle on CC. Anyways I am still learning.

I bought Scorpio VLX, black from Koncept Automobiles in Safdarjung Enclave. The experience at the dealership was pretty nice. The staff is courteous, though not so knowledgeable. I asked for lot of info, but i think I got better answers in the owners manual and from Team-BHP. The ownership experience has been nice so far.

Have you got the seat covers? any recommedations? Thanks!!!
ukoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 21:24   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car.lover View Post
Thanks for the compliment, it is a beauty...

As for the Micro hybrid, there is a switch on the central console to toggle on/off, no issues with that, but I end up being lazy on the toll plaza and prefer to keep the clutch pressed and the car in 1st gear

Congratulation s on the lovely buy !!
The clutch happen s to be feather light which you can hold for that period of wait !! Anyway s how is the stop and start otherwise !! It sounds like manually starting is it ?? Yes you need that bully power to drive in delhi that size is a must !!
REGARDS
SAjAN
m-hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 22:03   #36
BHPian

Default My New Scorpio

I got my new Scorpio LX two weeks ago. I must admit that the decision to buy this beast was more prompted by my wife.
This is perhaps our 5th or 6th new car. We’ve owned Toyotas, Suzukis and even a Range Rover and always regarded the Scorpio as a pretentious pseudo-SUV—until we took a test drive recently.

We needed a new car after we decided to sell off our one year old Innova V D4D. Why we sold that car is a different story altogether. We looked at many cars and had no notion that we’d settle on Mahindra Scorpio. But, it was a test drive at the showroom close to my office that made both of us go completely crazy.

We are both avid travellers and love to go on long drives. Somehow our Innova had completely failed to inspire us and we didn’t take even a single drive out of the city together in it for over a year since we had bought it. The feel of MHawk evoked my long-lost sensations. It felt full of eagerness to please. Of course it was rustic, the interior and build quality reminiscent of their cousins (Utility and Bolero) and the funny voice assist system hilarious to say the least. But we found that the Scorpio had a character and my wife instantly took to it. When I said yes she jumped up in joy as I had not seen her do in years.

The two weeks that I had been driving it have been great. I don’t remember any car I loved so much since I bought the Qualis in circa 2000. The car has incredible power and nimbleness. There are a few irritants (like the hard clutch, the crunchy gear shift and the rather loose feeling of some of its drivetrain) but I am certain that like the Enfield Bullet the vehicle will settle into the driver’s hand and these things will become smooth as it runs in.

The most amazing part is that we both have been driving it around, meeting friends and just taking it out for drives—something we never did with the Innova. I will write more after few days. Enjoy the photo in the meanwhile.

p.s.: Since we didn’t like the unnecessary gizmos and found the simple uncladded looks better we bought the LX.
Attached Thumbnails
My new Scorpio VLX mHawk - I'm lovin it !-scorp_1.jpg  

Hoopoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 22:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

nice write up buddy. i agree that many think the scorpio is useless, until a test drive!

nice colour & LX offers the most value for money. time for some alloys though.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 09:37   #38
BHPian

Thanks! We are planning to run with the current set of wheels for some time and change to a good alloy set only after the vehicle has run in (say after 10000km). Any advice for a good alloy set? I don't want the protruding types and I will install the standard set of tyres on them.
Old 7th September 2009, 10:27   #39
Senior - BHPian

Hey Hoopoe, Congrats on the Scorpio! I guess this has become the default colour with easy maintenance.

Time to start your own ownership thread.

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 10:33   #40
Senior - BHPian

Hey hoopoe,
Congratulations!! whats with the registration number?

And start your own ownership thread once you decide to write.

Happy motoring!!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 11:06   #41
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Wow...congrats car.lover, ukoul & Hoopoe !! Its raining Scorpios here ukoul and hoopoe, your cars deserve a separate thread and ownership report. And so do we Happy Motoring.
NIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 15:11   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
whats with the registration number?

And start your own ownership thread once you decide to write.
This is a temporary number.
Sure! I will start a new thread once I start to write.
Old 7th September 2009, 17:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
Thanks! We are planning to run with the current set of wheels for some time and change to a good alloy set only after the vehicle has run in (say after 10000km). Any advice for a good alloy set? I don't want the protruding types and I will install the standard set of tyres on them.
many options are available buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Wow...congrats car.lover, ukoul & Hoopoe !! Its raining Scorpios here ukoul and hoopoe, your cars deserve a separate thread and ownership report. And so do we Happy Motoring.
i like your display pic mate!
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 14:13   #44
BHPian

It rained heavily today in Delhi. I left for office very early to beat the chaos but found almost all roads waterlogged. At places there was so much water that even a few buses were stranded (forget the Accents and WagonRs). But the Scorpio waded happily and I roamed around just looking for an opening through the mayhem. I came back home after an hour of this sojourn just because there was no way to drive (unless I wanted to trample over some stalled vehicles). The Mahindra Scorpio was infact happy chugging around through this dereliction.

It's been just two weeks and I think I have driven the scorpio through more mess than the 15 years since I first drove.
Old 10th September 2009, 20:23   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
I got my new Scorpio LX two weeks ago. I must admit that the decision to buy this beast was more prompted by my wife.
This is perhaps our 5th or 6th new car. We’ve owned Toyotas, Suzukis and even a Range Rover and always regarded the Scorpio as a pretentious pseudo-SUV—until we took a test drive recently.

We needed a new car after we decided to sell off our one year old Innova V D4D. Why we sold that car is a different story altogether. We looked at many cars and had no notion that we’d settle on Mahindra Scorpio. But, it was a test drive at the showroom close to my office that made both of us go completely crazy.

We are both avid travellers and love to go on long drives. Somehow our Innova had completely failed to inspire us and we didn’t take even a single drive out of the city together in it for over a year since we had bought it. The feel of MHawk evoked my long-lost sensations. It felt full of eagerness to please. Of course it was rustic, the interior and build quality reminiscent of their cousins (Utility and Bolero) and the funny voice assist system hilarious to say the least. But we found that the Scorpio had a character and my wife instantly took to it. When I said yes she jumped up in joy as I had not seen her do in years.

The two weeks that I had been driving it have been great. I don’t remember any car I loved so much since I bought the Qualis in circa 2000. The car has incredible power and nimbleness. There are a few irritants (like the hard clutch, the crunchy gear shift and the rather loose feeling of some of its drivetrain) but I am certain that like the Enfield Bullet the vehicle will settle into the driver’s hand and these things will become smooth as it runs in.

The most amazing part is that we both have been driving it around, meeting friends and just taking it out for drives—something we never did with the Innova. I will write more after few days. Enjoy the photo in the meanwhile.

p.s.: Since we didn’t like the unnecessary gizmos and found the simple uncladded looks better we bought the LX.
Hearty congratulations again (since I believe I congratulated you in another thread) Hoopoe- saw your Scorpio picture and thats looking great.Nice review !!
anjan_c2007 is offline   Reply With Quote