Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 23rd July 2009, 16:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Hey, dont allow your bank to release the payment till you see the car PDI it yourself and are satisfied.

Goodluck.
Old 23rd July 2009, 16:39   #62
Senior - BHPian

^^ Definitely, Jay!

No more slips! The first one is more than enough!
Old 23rd July 2009, 21:49   #63
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
@ Happywheels>> I dont think i have posted specific pics, but here are some pics with a 3/4 & side view of the Hellas on my Safari. Will post better pics when i find them.

Heres the link:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...please-69.html
JSL,

That is a neat way to fix those. But do you face any slackness in the fitment? It looks like, if driven over rough terrain, the focus (direction alignment) of the light might go haywire, does it?
Old 24th July 2009, 08:38   #64
Senior - BHPian

Crosspost from the other thread> @redliner> No clamp. I drilled a hole in the bumper and bolted the lights straight into it. The BUmper meshes into the front grillle and gets enough support & strength to prevent the lights from shaking.
But note, while speeding on 'extremely' bumpy roads or flying through large potholes the lights shake a bit. I presume this would happen if fitted on a crash guard too.

@Happywheels> I fixed the hellas over 15k kms ago. Ive not faced any slackness in the fitment and ive not had to readjust the light even once, till date, inspite of flying through many rough patch trips. No shaking on normal to bad roads, shakes a bit on very bad to terrible roads.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:08   #65
BANNED

Suresh, now after all these details now i guess we need to know how you finalised on the colour combination.
Old 24th July 2009, 16:32   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... @Happywheels> I fixed the hellas over 15k kms ago. Ive not faced any slackness in the fitment and ive not had to readjust the light even once, till date, inspite of flying through many rough patch trips. No shaking on normal to bad roads, shakes a bit on very bad to terrible roads.
I reckon the right weight (aka, size of the light) is playing the crucial role in not giving you any slackness.

I am contemplating between having a nudge guard or not. The various posts, especially the one by Dadu, is making me thing twice. But, since the nudge guard is part of my discounted freebie in my buy, I am not sure if will want to let it go.

Thinking hard!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Suresh, now after all these details now i guess we need to know how you finalised on the colour combination.
Color selection! That was the most difficult part in the whole process of this buying experience!

I believe we (myself, wify & kid) have spend close to two weeks looking at the broucher colors, and when that did not help, going thru each and every Safari ownership thread to look at the colors available for the decision.

Part 1:
Wife did not like Cycus grey, no idea why.

I wanted Black - the all time fav!

Daughter wanted Red, that too full Red!!! (OMG)

So, finally, after lot of discussion and debate, we decided for a neutral color - White (Pearl White).

Me happy (since white looks majestic for a Safari, that too with dark tints. Add the dirt that it would smear itself from OTR's, it would be a sight to behold!)

Wify - Ok Ok. She felt it was a "taxi" color. But then, ok.

Child - She cried when we mentioned white. She wanted Red. So, we brain-washed her saying few bad things about Red (!!!) and got her to agree to Pearl White.

Part 2:
5 days later wify still not happy and tells me, that if Black is what I like we can go for that! (She knows that I am a sucker for Black color). I was glad!

But then I asked her what happened to her earlier counter arguments for black saying that currently I spend 1 hour cleaning a small Alto, and if I have a black Safari, I might spend a day, to which she said she was ok with it. She just did not want the White!

Uuuhh... Okie!

Child - she cried when we told her black! She wanted the white!!! (Bang head!!!). So, another brain-washing and all and finally it was Black all around.

Part 3:
2 days later when we are almost deciding on which date and time to book, we suddenly realize that all the vehicle in the family are black! So we decide to change color, which finally landed to Mineral Red.

I am like, we should not take full Red, since I do not like too flashy vehicles, so decided for dual tone.

Myself and wify, ok.

Child - cried when we said Red. She wanted Black!!! (break head on wall!!!). So, again, brain-washing and reminding her that her first choice was this and that we are going for this because she wished for this and all that (I am sure if she reads this when she grows up, I am in big trouble!!!). So, finally, she agreed.

And that my friend, is how the Mineral Red with dual tone, was booked. Which is also the reason, it seems, why the delay took place due to slow moving color.
Old 24th July 2009, 17:39   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Crosspost from the other thread> @redliner> No clamp. I drilled a hole in the bumper and bolted the lights straight into it. The BUmper meshes into the front grillle and gets enough support & strength to prevent the lights from shaking.
But note, while speeding on 'extremely' bumpy roads or flying through large potholes the lights shake a bit. I presume this would happen if fitted on a crash guard too.

@Happywheels> I fixed the hellas over 15k kms ago. Ive not faced any slackness in the fitment and ive not had to readjust the light even once, till date, inspite of flying through many rough patch trips. No shaking on normal to bad roads, shakes a bit on very bad to terrible roads.
Am wary about drilling holes on the bumper to fix the lamps. If I do fit the clamps, they rest on the bumper (and will probably cause a slight rusty discolouration over a period of time. That in itself is worrying me. And fitting a bull bar and increasing the parking radius even more is a no-no.

And getting a guy to soil his hands on a good clamp and fitting it right is another headache. And I've already picked up the fog lamps.
Old 24th July 2009, 17:45   #68
Senior - BHPian

Update on the insurance part:

The insurance amount mentioned in the price list is Rs.38,139.

Got thru directly to Bajaj Alliance and now the insurance premium, as per the quote they have sent, is at an IDV of 10,72,169 stands at Rs.23,888.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
... And getting a guy to soil his hands on a good clamp and fitting it right is another headache. And I've already picked up the fog lamps.
RL, would be great if you can post the post-fitment photos of your vehicle with the clamps. And what you mentioned about the turning radius is true, especially with the Safari!

Last edited by HappyWheels : 24th July 2009 at 17:48.
Old 24th July 2009, 17:47   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Am wary about drilling holes on the bumper to fix the lamps. If I do fit the clamps, they rest on the bumper (and will probably cause a slight rusty discolouration over a period of time. That in itself is worrying me. And fitting a bull bar and increasing the parking radius even more is a no-no.

And getting a guy to soil his hands on a good clamp and fitting it right is another headache. And I've already picked up the fog lamps.
Safari bumper is fiber/plastic. No rust buddy.
Old 24th July 2009, 17:50   #70
Senior - BHPian

^^ JSL,

I reckon RL is referring to rust from the nuts & bolts, used to fix the light, coming on to the bumper and hence causing discoloration.

2 cents!
Old 24th July 2009, 18:10   #71
Senior - BHPian

Hey Suresh,
Just read this thread (infact just the first post), would continue reading later though.

But must congratulate you for the wonderful choice you made. Would definitely take a ride on your beast once I return to Blr.

Abhi
Old 24th July 2009, 19:54   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyWheels View Post
^^ JSL,

I reckon RL is referring to rust from the nuts & bolts, used to fix the light, coming on to the bumper and hence causing discoloration.

2 cents!
Thats right Happydude...the damn rust just sticks to anything. I have seen it so bad on white bumpers.

And hardly anybody wants to have a go at the clamps. So much work - so little pay. But will get to it soon, my night driving is almost at a standstill.
Old 24th July 2009, 20:34   #73
Senior - BHPian

Hey Abhi,

Anytime! I guess we now have a good set of Safari's here at Bangalore and that 4x4 crowd is increasing.

More seats available for OTR's!
Old 25th July 2009, 01:34   #74
adc
Senior - BHPian

GX Mineral Red does stand out - saw one in Patna this week. And of course the 4wd completes the picture. Congrats and happy touring!
Old 25th July 2009, 08:42   #75
Senior - BHPian

^^ Thanks ADC!

You were an inspiration, sir! Hope to be able to do atleast 50% of the travel (and the locale's) that you have done!
Closed Thread