Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th July 2009, 13:35   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Toyota Altis G - So far sooo good!

Got my Altis three days ago. So far so good The following are my first impressions (though I had detailed test drives)

What's good?
  • Exceptionally easy to drive within the city, excellent steering and gear - you can go in third gear even at 20km/hr
  • High ground clearance makes ingress and exit so easy and no road scrapping
  • Excellent driving position and very good road visibility
  • Comfortable seats though with not so great fabric
  • The instrument cluster is always lit when the keys are in which gives a very good pleasant view of the proceedings
  • Excellent A/C with climate control and 6-CD changer music system (with steering controls)
  • A lot of other goodies like vanity (both driver & passenger) mirrors with lights (lady co-passenger would love it), a lot of storage space wherever they are expected etc
  • Amazing positioning of the switches and controls - even your grandma will get it right
  • 60-40 rear seat folding and huge boot are a really good to manage your space
  • Exceptional brakes - in fact, I under estimated it and cost me a scratch behind on the first day itself when a Honda Activa kid hit from behind
What's bad?
  • The inside rear view mirror is pathetically small. In my test drive vehicle they had changed it and I did not notice it then. The variant, I took had an auto antiglare mirror and hence I did not feel like changing it (with a reverse parking display integrated mirror may be)
  • The clutch is so deep, even this was not a problem in the test drive vehicle. People like me, with shoesize 8 or 9, will find it tiring to use the clutch
  • The horn switch area in the steering column, in fact, is a little away from the circumference of the steering and hence you need to really extend your thumb to horn. I found it very inconvenient
  • I did not particularly like or hate the fake wooden finished panels
  • In second, third gears when I push hard, I felt that there is some engine grunt audible inside in high RPM
  • Wish the steering was a little smaller and sporty like my Ikon's. I really miss that part
Customization tips
The Corolla Altis looks pretty plain from most angles and I did the following extra fittings to enhance its looks a little bit (See the photos)
  • Front grille - Added an upper and lower chrome grille each (Total: 6,000/-)
  • Wheel Archs - The profile look of the car is nothing better than Innova and hence to enhance the looks I added chrome wheel archs (Rs. 4000/- for 4 pieces)
  • Doorvisors - The corolla doorvisors are not as stupid as the ones you get from Maruti - They don't protrude much and can be neatly pasted above doors. Enhances side looks again. (Rs. 3,300/-)
  • Door scuff plates with bright blue lit Altis logo - This is originally from the Toyota Altis sports version, I guess. I put it because It gives you the front passenger and the driver a great feeling when you enter the car - especially in dim light or at night. It's pretty expensive though (Rs. 7800/-) - Not very bright in the photo below
  • Muffler cap - The downward looking raw steel exhaust pipe end can be beautified with the muffler cap (Rs. 850/-)
  • In addition, the dealer gave me a Redsoul parking sensor with display and 3M sunfilm (I upgraded it to the three year warranty one). I suggest the medium shade CS35
  • The number plates, especially the one on the front, looks stupid and I would rather put an 'IND' brand metal plate soon
  • I would like to go for an OE fit leather seating in three months time (My wife doesn't like the idea of tearing of the brandnew fabric on the seat to put leather). When I do it, I plan to go for only Karlsson which gives excellent fit, finish and great leather at 70% of the cost of Stanley.
  • Colorwise, I like Champagne Mica and the Camry light blue
  • And a get a parking sensor as the rear visibility is bad
  • I might think of a tyre upgrade (215mm) on 25K kms or so... I think this car might look and feel good on bigger legs
Attached are some photos of the customizing part, excuse my poor photography skills

Mods, please excuse if the images are not resized, I did not find an option to do so while posting :(
edassery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 14:00   #2
BHPian

Congratulations Friend. Excellent vehicle. Good color. Can you post some interior and side profile pics please (resized)?? What is the on road cost of the vehicle?? Any discounts offered??

Enjoy, Drive safe.
mnhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 14:03   #3
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase! I personally like the looks of the Altis. And with Toyota you can't go wrong. I'm sure you'll have years of peaceful ownership. The car does look great in Champangne Mica and Light Blue.

Please do let us know your dealer experience. What is the OTR price? Are they offering any freebies/discounts?
CBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 16:20   #4
BHPian

@mnhegde, will try to take some pics and post. The onroad cost in Banaglore is pretty high as the ex-showroom price falls above 10L and hence huge roadtax. Totally it comes to around 13.2L without discounts.

@CBlazer,
Thanks... you are right about the colours. I dealt with Ravindu Toyota in Rajaji Nagar and they are probably the best here because I heard it's run directly by Kirloskar group (of Toyota Kirloskar). I got a corporate discount of 20 thousand and got the 3M (1 year warranty one), Doorvisors and reverse parking system free. With discounts the OR price will be roughly 13L.

I had some unexplained delay of about 22 days mainly due to the fact that I did not follow up much on the status. Usually, you should get an Altis within 10 days.
Old 26th July 2009, 16:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the purchase mate. Even though I thought older Corrolla looked better, with Toyota one cannot go wrong.

Enjoy your ride and post report as you log up the miles

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 16:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your Toyota Altis. Your car looks fabulous and ofcourse you will get the peace of mind due to the No 1 barnad in the world.
StarVegabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 18:44   #7
BANNED

Congratulations Dude you just cant go wrong with a Toyota Good Choice compared to the over priced Civic!
Thomas8700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2009, 23:05   #8
BHPian

@MileCruncher, the only thing that I liked better in the old corolla is the hydraulic power steering which is probably a feel-good-factor at higher speeds. Lookwise, I guess the old as well as new are pretty dated

@StarVegabond, thanks more than the world best seller, I was particularly interested in the ground clearance... Civic sucks big time in bad road conditions.

@Thomas, yes - feature by feature, if you compare, Altis G is almost a lakh cheaper than Civic S MT and has more features. Definitely, Civic feels good to drive
Old 26th July 2009, 23:32   #9
BANNED

true the civic feels good to drive but its got that annoying GC problem frankly its not the GC. the long wheel base of 2710mm is causing it. i just dont know why Honda released the Civic with a GC setup meant mainly for the likes of US roads.!

and yes toyota and honda are equally good to the last word its true all over the globe

and yes look on the brighter side. you still have got VFM. a Lakh saved itself can be used later for many other purposes and frankly isnt civic a bit too common these days > another way of looking at it perhaps
Old 27th July 2009, 10:01   #10
BHPian

Thomas, you sound very positive

As for Civic and Corolla, surprisingly, in the US market Civic variants have better GC than Corollas...
Old 27th July 2009, 10:49   #11
BHPian

Congratulations mate! Nice choice of colour and a great vehicle, no doubt! Seems like you have also tastefully chosen the additional accessories. Enjoy your new drive.
pmbabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 11:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Whatever your complaints, you will adapt and these complaints will go away. I have the older Corolla (2007) and initially finding a perfect driving height and position was difficult.

Adapted and fiddled, and got that in a few days. Now even if my preferred position or height is changed (think daily car cleaning or a visit to the service station), I instinctively know if the position or height has changed.

What is most remarkable in the old Corolla (and hopefully the new Altis) is the very low levels (absolutely and comparatively) of road noise. Whatever rattles do develop are easily fixed with occasional tightening.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 11:34   #13
gpa
Senior - BHPian

edassery,

Lovely pics of your car. The color is fabulous. Enjoy your car and drive safe. A nice selection of accessories as well.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2009, 11:51   #14
BANNED

yes dude i am very positive. its a good thing to see you made a practical choice

Happy Motoring
Old 27th July 2009, 22:28   #15
BHPian

Thanks @pmbabu, @gpa.

@vasudeva, however, I think I need to reduce the play of the clutch - it's too deep now and it's health hazard for people like me with small feet, I guess. Hopefully the Toyota people can fix it easily. This is where the Honda wins - their pedals are awesome.