Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 1st October 2009, 20:56   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
If a getz crdi locks up at such slow speeds, well its a problem with its braking system not the tyre. I tried really hard to lock the tyres in Nikhil's nhc vtec and couldn't get the tyres to even squeal. Even standing on the brakes at 100 didn't lock the wheels.
Close to the truth

They lock up because of the braking system, yes- but not because of a flawed system, because it does not have ABS. As simple as that
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 21:34   #257
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Close to the truth

They lock up because of the braking system, yes- but not because of a flawed system, because it does not have ABS. As simple as that
The NHC I'm referring to doesn't have ABS either. It didn't lock on the same rubber at similar speeds.

PS: You might wanna stop beating your head on walls

Last edited by reignofchaos : 1st October 2009 at 21:36.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 22:46   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
The NHC I'm referring to doesn't have ABS either. It didn't lock on the same rubber at similar speeds.

PS: You might wanna stop beating your head on walls
Lol! Its a good car, really- but I can never be confident about the brakes

But wont any non-ABS car's wheels lock up if you just stomp on the brakes (esp at 100+), no matter what the rubber is?
Old 1st October 2009, 22:48   #259
Senior - BHPian

^^Personal experience says no!
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 23:26   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol! Its a good car, really- but I can never be confident about the brakes

But wont any non-ABS car's wheels lock up if you just stomp on the brakes (esp at 100+), no matter what the rubber is?
Yes, All cars without ABS will face a locking situation at some point of time, but not always. I've never experienced any lock in my fiesta in 2 years, and I think there was only one time where I almost managed to lock my wheels in my NHC, in 5 years of ownership. But again Driving style matters a lot.

But i think if many Getz CRDi owners are facing this problem, then its most likely a fault of the car itself.

After seeing some of the recent posts on this thread, I'm feeling glad that i cancelled my getz booking and went in for the i20.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 23:53   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Yes, All cars without ABS will face a locking situation at some point of time, but not always. I've never experienced any lock in my fiesta in 2 years, and I think there was only one time where I almost managed to lock my wheels in my NHC, in 5 years of ownership. But again Driving style matters a lot.

But i think if many Getz CRDi owners are facing this problem, then its most likely a fault of the car itself.

After seeing some of the recent posts on this thread, I'm feeling glad that i cancelled my getz booking and went in for the i20.
Hmmm the getzis brakes are very sharp that is its basic problem. Once one learns brake modulation the lock up wont occur 90% of the times. But then again not many people want to change their driving style to suit a cars rather want the car to suit their style. For me it so happened that i learnt both brake modulation as well as engine braking on my zen and hence find it quiet easy on the getzi

Shyam
ShyamSCrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 00:01   #262
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyamSCrdi View Post
For me it so happened that i learnt both brake modulation as well as engine braking on my zen and hence find it quiet easy on the getzi
Ya right! And each time you are braking from behind, we all keep looking back hoping your tires will "unlock" themselves on time .
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 00:23   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

I did a mini test just now. About 10 mins back.

It's been raining cats and dogs in Bangalore and the road was obviously quite wet. There was no traffic ahead of or behind me and so I considered it safe enough to test the braking of the NHC Vtec with AD07s.

Wet road. Reached 80 and stood on the breaks. Locked. But braking distance was fantastic! As expected!

Did the same at 50. No locking. Just rapid deceleration.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 00:49   #264
Senior - BHPian

ROFL too many on the poor rockets brakes- like Enzo said, the car is meant to go, not stop!!!

But then, I never had the brakes lock up while normal driving- and ya, I always modulate braking as a semi-conscious habit (something which may scare my co-driver and passengers, coz the car will not stop until the last moment!!)
Old 2nd October 2009, 00:51   #265
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Nikhil, I haven't driven Rajeev's car yet shod with the AD-07's but having driven Shyam's car regularly I can say that the brake bias on the car is a little weird. Rather, one has to know at what point its going to lock wheels and immediately let go instead of standing on the brakes (which is what everyone ends up doing). Its more like, you put your foot down and you think its not enough, so you keep sinking your leg down more and more and before you realize you have locked the wheels.

The braking is like a On-Off button with nothing in between. And most people tend to over do it because of this? I don't think one needs better braking (read rotors, calipers etc), infact me thinks the car needs to have slightly lesser braking up front and that should prevent the wheels from locking. Upgrading the braking (without ABS) will only lead to further locking up of wheels.
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 01:11   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ROFL too many on the poor rockets brakes- like Enzo said, the car is meant to go, not stop!!!
I stand corrected- the quote is by Ettore Bugatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
...I can say that the brake bias on the car is a little weird. Rather, one has to know at what point its going to lock wheels and immediately let go instead of standing on the brakes (which is what everyone ends up doing). Its more like, you put your foot down and you think its not enough, so you keep sinking your leg down more and more and before you realize you have locked the wheels.

The braking is like a On-Off button with nothing in between. And most people tend to over do it because of this? I don't think one needs better braking (read rotors, calipers etc), infact me thinks the car needs to have slightly lesser braking up front and that should prevent the wheels from locking. Upgrading the braking (without ABS) will only lead to further locking up of wheels.
You got it buddy- Biasing is thats what it exactly is. It kinda makes the braking unpredictable - I gotta confess that even after 8k on the clock, I am not really sure when I am gonna lock the brakes. To be on the safer side, I start braking mildly long before I actually need to stop so that I do not end up locking it up. But if it is a emergency braking, cutting the gears to third is what I do- and then brake.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 2nd October 2009 at 01:20.
Old 2nd October 2009, 01:39   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

I tried it on the NHC, mate.

And the pedal feel in NHC is superb. I dont know if there is any difference between the Getz Petrol and the Getz CRDi, but on our Getz Petrol, it is as you mentioned. On and off. Not much in between. The NHC is way way better.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:30   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Ya right! And each time you are braking from behind, we all keep looking back hoping your tires will "unlock" themselves on time .
Hmmm after all that ("touch wood") never banged anyone from the rear(pun not intended )

Shyam
ShyamSCrdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 18:40   #269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You got it buddy- Biasing is thats what it exactly is.
Actually brake bias refers to the ratio of braking power between the front and rear. For regular road cars it is anywhere between 65F-35R to 55F-45R.
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2009, 19:48   #270
BHPian

I think the tendency to 'lock-up' is more perceived than an attribute of the car (Getz) itself. Modulation can definitely help and sticky tires will be of no help when one stands on the brakes in the Getz (or any other car without ABS) for that matter.
And brake bias is designed into the system based on the weight transfer experienced under braking and this is specific to the design.

However, the brake pads might have a tendency to glaze up faster (than normal) but this is an unscientific 'guesstimate' based on experience and not exact data. Check if situation improves after deglazing the pads/disc.

However as I am noob and know next to nothing about cars, you can neglect my comments.
speedz is offline   Reply With Quote