Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th June 2005, 08:17   #1
Default First Ownership Review:My Swift with pics

Well friends,I am Lijo Davis from trichur,kerala.I am not a writer and pardon for the writing style and for mistakes.Whatever came to my mind i just put it here.I also have a Skoda L&K Black done around 13000kms/11months.I have a detailed report on its performance and mileage log.But first this one

I recently own a Suzuki swift ZXi, Silky Silver in color, done 1000kms just before going to first service this is what i felt about the car.It will have a mix of the pros and the cons.

From the front view its looks good, wider than any other car in the segment.Nice air dam ,fog lights and head lamps.The fog lamps are much bright but it needs some tuning to be on the road.Headlamps are bright while driving in the city but if you go above 60-70 you feel the lack of light.but with the head lamp level adjuster you can adjust the beam position some what.

The grill looks good with the S emblem.Side view is good with the A and B pillers black.When we come to the back side its looks like a big zen feeling expect the rear lights but still ok. Rear glass is very small ,so that there can be a problem while reversing the car ,since this one is ZXi its has defogger and a mini wiper(very mini just 10 cms may be).

In total the exterior looks very distinct from any other car in the same class.There is no black protective strips around the car , so there can be scratches, sometimes the looks can be different with that black strip.The beadings around the glass and the door are not upto the mark.

Some problems i found is its not much aerodynamic. The bonnet has more Round shape, when we wash the car we can see the difference.Also the air dams and the fog lights is somewhat difficult to clean up easily.alloys doest have the real feel of alloy wheels , just a wheel cap feel.it doesn't comes with Mud Flaps moreover its not available,so its getting dirty very easily since its monsoon.May be the looks of the car can be proved if there is flaps.

Interior looks black in color with orange dials and nice looking head rests.Its dash have a slope towards its glass side so that we can keep something o the dash.Plastics and buttons looks ok.

Steering is a three spoke but smooth,can add a leather cover. with Airbags too in the steering wheel the horn is very easy to press (very tight in some other cars)Nice S emblem on the centre of the wheel.I have added pioneer remote too to the wheel.The climate control AC is very good in looks(has a orange display) use and cooling.There are rotating knobs for blower speed and temp control ,better feel than any other C segemnt or even D segment car.

The speedo dials looks very neat with the rpm meter in the 6 o'clock position .Fuel guage is not accurate ,it will go down slowly and after half tank mark goes down very fast. Light and wipers switches are nice to use ,there is only three positions for the wiper some times very difficult to control when raining is very less.AC cooling is very good ,i usually keep it in 25 deg. it will go upto 18 deg, didn't tested the heater. Front glass doesn't comes with the thick tinted band on the top.

Road view is much better than indica in the drivers position also u can adjust the height of the driver seat.The front seats are very comfortable but rear is not that good but okay for this segment.Driver side glass is auto down as like in skoda or opel astra.also you can lock the three other windows from there. There is a switch for locking all doors and unlocking.While running all doors will lock automatically when you reach the speed of 20kms. but you need to manually unlock.

The inside lamp has a theater effect - will dim slowly only when we close all doors.There is no reading lamps in the back.The side mirrors (not electronic) can be adjusted and has a very good rear view but there is a chance for getting broke(in cities) since its very huge in size.

As for storage space - very less just three cup holders in the gear section and
two front door pockets(very small and congested) seat pockets and a rear parcel tray.You will get a 12 volt outlet and a lamp in the boot.The boot opening is very easy since its a button press and lift(no need of key or lever pull from the front).

The leg space in the front is good and rear is just ok for the segment(not as spacious as indica).Speaker position in the rear is in the door pads.Rear parcel tray is very thin and very less in width (6 inches may be)not wide as santro.

On the road:
It feel very safe while driving with ABS Airbags and wider tyres.The brakes feels excellent and the control in the turnings and all is good(i didn't tested much since its new).City driving is very good,it will go in 40 even in fifth gear.but you have to down to third if you want to overtake.You can go at least 90 with second gear but it doesn't has a sudden pick up in fourth and fifth gear.Very less gear change is need if you at average speed.In high ways it has very nice driveabilty compared to this segment cars.Gear change is a little bit tough now may be its new.Electronic power steering - very easy to
drive but you wont has much road feel on the steering if you go in high speeds.

These are the complaints i felt in the first day itself.The tyre pressure was supposed to be 29psi but it was around 34 to 40 range.Anyway i have reduced it to 28 and ride was smooth.The steering tends to go to left when we took our hands from it while going in straight direction(may be alignment problem - had to rectify in the first service)Some type of noise from the rear side and front door while going in bad roads.

I had put full tank with speed just when i got the car around 39 liters. and after 480 kms of mixed driving i again filled up the tank with 35.26 liters of unleaded petrol. so mileage will come around 13.61.I don't know if we change from speed to normal petrol mileage will have variation.we will wait and see.

Thats all from now.You can please ask me any questions or for any angle any resoultion photos (i just limited the resolution)about swift,i will reply or post, since i am little bit busy i am concluding now.Waiting for your feedback

Lijo Davis

Last edited by Rtech : 28th June 2005 at 11:57.
lijodavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 08:30   #2

nice review dude and nice pics too . your ride looks sweet in silver
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 10:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

hey lijo ,

nice ride ! i always felt that the swift would look much better in silver than any other color! and your ride in silver looks sweet ! nice pics !

one more thing - post some pics of the interiors ! also now that you have started using speed , dont change the petrol - keep with speed ( keep it consistent).

have fun with the baby !

normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 10:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

You had come down with the facts of Swift on performance and convenience. Excellent Review. Iam nearing 1000 kms in my Swift Vxi. Your entire review just puts my thoughts into words.

I differ with you on the performance of the AC, as it is a very subjective feeling.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 10:30   #5

Hi lijodavis,

Nice review man, 13.61 kmpl is more than i expected...very good FE it seems..I had also booked silver but VXI version...Pics are very good..Pl. post the pics of interior and let us know what accessories you have fitted...Keep one brand fuel always..
AGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 11:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice car dude.Could u also post a few interior pix??
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 11:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

Great first review there buddy. Car looks really good in silver. Enjoy your ride and do update this thread in the future with your experiences

Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 12:04   #8
Default zxi..

hey lijo,

nice revu there buddy..

Can u pls give us the booking date details and the delivery date details.. as our ZXI will not be delivered until the end of this month in bangalore. Apparently, as per the showroom guys, the production had stopped for few days and they are expecting zxi supply in this month. They have done a color wise priority and am 8th in line for the RED ZXi though i booked on 20th May 2005.

Are u planning for any leather seat covers on ur SWIFT, that would liven up the interiors..

Hurry Home
muni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 12:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice review! Good choice of ride.

Regarding the fuel meter dropping down slowly upto the half way mark and then fast, it is there in Palio also. I also feel the same. When this question was posed, I was told that the reading is not exactly linear. In the sense, the fuel reading is calculated based on some exponential stuff and so it happens this way. I dont know how far this is true.
deepakhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2005, 14:23   #10

at what rpm is the rev limiter set at?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2005, 13:54   #11

nice review dude, where in trichur are u from anyway.Me from cochin..Swift in red is awesome..Silver also looks smart though
kphilip is offline   Reply With Quote