Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 26th February 2010, 00:19   #421
BHPian

As per Fiat Linea owner's handbook, the cold tyre pressure specified for fully loaded is 2.3 bars
+ 0.3 bar for warm tyres.

1 bar = 14.50326 psi.
2.3 bars = 33.4 psi

In effect, for a fully loaded Linea, pls maintain pressure @ 33 for all tyres.
For semi loaded, use 30 and 33 respectively for front and back respectively.

Some Lineans in this forum have mentioned that they are filling as high as 35 and 38 in front and rear respectively to increase the GC with no adverse effect on the ride quality.

I fill N2 and maintain 33 and 35 for front and back. The ride quality is excellent.

Last edited by bnzjon : 26th February 2010 at 00:21.
Old 26th February 2010, 09:14   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnzjon View Post
In effect, for a fully loaded Linea, pls maintain pressure @ 33 for all tyres.
For semi loaded, use 30 and 33 respectively for front and back respectively.
Isnt it the other way around?? 33 in front and 30 at back
Old 26th February 2010, 09:26   #423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
Isnt it the other way around?? 33 in front and 30 at back

Oops, my mistake. You are right.
The pressure should be higher on the front because of the engine weight.

Thanks for correcting.
Old 26th February 2010, 09:41   #424
BHPian

Friends, i hear a "Hissing" sound from my central AC vents (ones above the music system).

The hissing sound lasts only for 3-5 secs and fades away. Again, it comes back after 2 mins.

What is this ? Is there a AC gas leakage ?
I could also feel that the AC cooling has come down drastically !
Old 27th February 2010, 14:30   #425
BHPian

Default Linea is costlier by Rs. 15000 post Budget

FIAT India Press Release

Mumbai, 26 February 2009: With the increase in excise duty as passed in the Union Budget 2010 Ė 11, Fiat India today announced a revised pricing for its product line. With this announcement, Fiat products, namely, the Palio, the Grande Punto and the Linea will witness an increase in price ranging between Rs. 7000 Ė 15500. The change in pricing will be applicable with immediate effect.

Speaking on the increase, a company spokesperson said,Ē The decision to revise the prices of the Fiat Palio, Grande Punto and Linea is a direct result of the excise duty increase as announced in the Union budget today. Owing to this increase, Fiatís products will now be available at an increased price of 2% with immediate effect.Ē

Fiat currently offers the Fiat Linea, Fiat Grande Punto, Fiat Palio and Fiat 500 in the Indian market.

Source :
Fiat India To Increase Car Prices By 2% After Budget 2010 | Indian Cars & Motorcycles Blog
Old 27th February 2010, 18:31   #426
BHPian

Given my car for insurance claim today.

The Insurance surveyor rejected the rear chrome strip from the claim and argued that it has be a seperate claim even though its part of the same accident. The rear chrome strip is costing around Rs. 2400 including tax and i need to pay 50% as the strip is plastic.

As the scraches on the strip is not very obvious and will be visible only if seen very close, i am thinking of not changing it for the time being.

Along with the Bonnet change, i have reported the following for repairs under warranty
1. Wiper nozzle change - water is either sprayed on the roof top (or) on the lower portion of the windshield. Ideally it should spary at the middle of the glass.
2. Clutch Slave Cylinder change - the gear change has become little harder after the mandatory CSC change. The gear change was like butter prior to the CSC change.
3. Few rattlings from the rear doors and B pillar after the door changes.
4. Hissing noise from the central AC vents.
5. Paint touch on few scratches.

I am painting my front grills to Hip Hop Black. Hopefully it should look good as the rest of the body colour is Vocal white. Quote for the painting is Rs. 3000 + tax. Inspired and heavily influenced by Ghostriders transformation chronicles in this forum.

While test driving, the SA was shocked that the tyre noise is on the higher side. He immediately called the Goodyear representative for an inspection on monday.

Last edited by bnzjon : 27th February 2010 at 18:39.
Old 28th February 2010, 21:46   #427
Senior - BHPian

Good to see Things happening at concorde.

Even my gear slotting has become a little hard now. especially after the CSC change. Let me know what they recommend for it!
Old 1st March 2010, 22:37   #428
BHPian

Quote:
While test driving, the SA was shocked that the tyre noise is on the higher side. He immediately called the Goodyear representative for an inspection on monday.
The Goodyear guys found that both the front tyres have a very very slight bulge on the sidewalls (I don’t know where the bulges are ! )

They offered to take back the tyres on a pro-rata basis (based on my usage) and replace with new ones of same profile/brand.

I bluntly refused and finally with the intervention of the service advisor, they offered for a free replacement under warranty.

I told them I would like to go in for another brand of tyres and would like to get a full refund (or) letter to any dealer in Chennai for an exchange for any other brand. They agreed for the latter option (after much push and pull)

I am now in a dilemma. Need your advise in choosing.

I am looking at a set of tyres which would give me
Good ride quality
Low noise
FE
performance & looks

I am confused after reading the various forums.

My Linea's tyre pofile is 195 /60 /R15 88 but have an itch towards 195/65/15 and 205/55/15 provided this doesnt affect the above parameters.

1. Should I change all the 4 tyres.
(or) can I change only the front ones (with above offer) and save money. Will the latter option arrest tyre noise ?

2. Which of the below ones are good.
(a) Bridgestone Turanza ER 60 - Rs. 4100
(b) Bridgestone Potenza RE 88 - Rs. 4100
(c) Michellin Primary LC - Rs. 4975
(d) Yoko A drive - Rs. 4100
(e) Conti
(f) Goodyear Assurance

The above quotes are obtained through phonecall from LAL, Royapettah, Chennai and I know they are on the higher side.

Last edited by bnzjon : 1st March 2010 at 22:39.
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:22   #429
BHPian

i have upgraded my Punto Emotion tyres to 185/70 R15 Yoko A-drives. Tyre noise has almost disappeared now and grip levels have improved.

I suggest you upgrade all 4 tyres to Yoko S-drives . Nice balance of performance and road noise. 195/65 R15 will give a slight speedo error but a slightly better ground clearance.
Old 2nd March 2010, 20:33   #430
BHPian

Any feedback on Yoko Avid touring S and Michelin Primary LC ?
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:15   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Just came back after taking delivery of my car from TASS.

The paint job is perfect. It is matching 100% with the rest of the body. Good paint job done.

I will post pictures tommorrow since it is dark outside.

Now all my 4 doors are replaced with new ones.

Checked the entire car if there are any more issues/signs of rusting but found none. Anyways, FIAT as well as BASF have also checked for the same few days back.

There are rust in the shock absorber mount screw studs and screws near engine near the belt. These are normal rustings as it is made of cast iron and found on all cars parked there.

Now i need to get the letter from FIAT as stated in the previous posting. Hopefully i should get it on monday.

Along with the replacement of doors, the following works were also completed.

1. Wiper squeaking and wobbling : Replaced the wiper stalk/arm on the right side FOC under warranty.

Checked and found the issue solved. The wipers are absolutely fine with zero wobbling and wipes of entire water in a single wipe.

2. Gear knob vibrations while idling is rectified.

3. Front suspension Noise : I had experienced noise (like air releasing) whenever i go over a speed bump. Last time, the Link rods, suspension, Antiroll bar were replaced under warranty but still the sound persisted.

Now the culprit is found after many test runs on speed breakers. It is the long flimsy mud flaps which sweep the speed breakers while going over them. We found this after removing the mudflaps and going over speed bumps.

Crazy ! Me along with a mechanic had to spend almost 2 hours to crack it.

Anyways, have to live with it until FIAT comes up with a redesigned mudflap like the ones in SX4/Verna.

4. Wheel alignment and Balancing - done free of cost

5. There were couple of Rattlings which were eluding the service guys/me. Finally, to my surprise, they have disappeared with the new doors.

6. Fuel flap was hard to close - rectified.

7. Few scratches were painted along with the door. Again free of cost, thanks to the rusted doors.

8. 3M sunfilm (RE35) on one of the windows developed a 25 paise size bubble !!!. Replaced under warranty coordinating with the 3M guys in the sales dept at Concorde.

Washing was not done to my satisfaction. Made them wash the car again, waxed, interiors cleaned, rubber beadings and windows cleaned with 3M products.

Pending work : one of the B pillar sticker was torn while pasting (it had to be pasted because the doors were replaced). No stock available with TASS. Order placed 5 days back and expected anytime.

I had seen another Linea (an accident car) which was done to perfection. Instead of the B Pillar stickers, the portion was painted to Gloss. It looked better than the glossy stickers and had 100% matching with OE Stickers.
When enquired, the body shop incharge said, the stickers are very flimsy and they suggest painting.

Few things like the mudflap making noise (which was finally found by me), washing not proper could have been looked into by TASS.

Overall, an excellent and pleasent experience. I would definetely rate them 9/10 (1 point lost because of the previous paragraph).
Hi,

Mr. john & lineans
John on 10/July/09 you took delivery of linea, within few months of owning this beauty so many serious issues[rusting] you are faced. after PM[thnks for the reply] to you, i started reading from page one, thread really scares me to go ahead with linea/punto.
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:35   #432
BHPian

Subbarao, it was unfortunate that my car had rustings on the doors. It was due to the defective rubber beading on the doors. These beadings had metal running across which when exposed to water got rusted.

Yes; it was unfortunate that a new car within 6 months of ownership got rusted.

Despite this, i am a satisfied FIAT customer because
1. FIAT was immediate in responding to my SOS message on rusting. They never denied anything. They immediately arranged for the OE paint vendor to come down to chennai, inspect my car and get the remedial action done.

2. Other issues reported are normal which i have faced with my earlier SX4 and Alto too. I have 2 options - (a) live with the problem and get it rectified when i visit the TASS next time; (b) solve it immediately and drive with complete peace of mind. I prefer to choose the latter.

3. TASS and FIAT have changed every part irrespective of the cost under warranty whenever i had raised any issues. I owned SX4 prior to this and i know how i need to fight with the MASS guys (i tried all 6 maruti dealers) for changing some parts/spares under warranty.

3. You switch on the ignition and drive the car - you forget everything. Its a pleasure driving the beauty.

Every FIAT onwer in this forum have come across issues and problems but i am sure none regret buying a Linea/Punto.

Every car in this forum irrespective of the manufacturer has reported problems. Look at how the manufacturer reacts to the problems and give you absolute peace of mind. In my case, FIAT was always with me.

Go ahead and purchase the Car mate, if your heart and mind are in sync. You will not regret owning a FIAT.

I am so passionate about my Linea despite the issues and problems. I am not saying this just because i own one but please "own it to beleive it "

All the Very Best !
Old 3rd March 2010, 10:47   #433
Distinguished - BHPian

Those are some resounding words which will help FIAT rebuild the confidence in the Indian Public.

This is exactly how any company should be, there will be problems, what matters is how they stand by you to sort out the issues is what matters. Whats the point in having 1000's of service centers when most of them wont bother to stand by you to solve your problem.

BNZJON, you are sure a torch bearer for FIAT
Old 5th March 2010, 09:33   #434
BHPian

I am visiting the TASS to take delivery of the car after the bonnet change under Insurance. Keeping my fingers crossed on the paint job.

They took almost 7 days to do this.

Hopefully other issues reported (AC noise, few rattlings, CSC change, wiper nozzle change) should have been done.

If not to my satisfaction i will wait till tommorrow to take delivery(when the FIAT technicians are around for the service camp)

Last edited by bnzjon : 5th March 2010 at 09:37.
Old 5th March 2010, 12:08   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Any feedback on Yoko Avid touring S and Michelin Primary LC ?
I changed all 5 tyres to Michelin Primary LC on the second day. Though I am not the best person to tell you the difference (i hardly drove 50 kms with OEM (goodyear) tyres) but I am happy with Michelin. The ride is quite comfortable till now (3.5K kms). it costed me total of INR 22,500/- for all 5 tyres! Hope it helps
Closed Thread