Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 3rd August 2009, 11:21   #1
Talking Nuova pulcino sul blocco..my Punto..

hey people,
This is my first post ever on Team-bhp..have been following the forum diligently from past 2 years and must say you have helped me become an auto-literate from being a novice.

the past - buying a car has always been a dream and it had been much delayed because of frequent travel out of India,had booked and canceled Swift twice.

the start- this time I thought I should go for it, recession meant no more frequent travel..so I started following all the new launches and test driving cars(mostly hatches). Since I would drive mostly on weekends was considering only petrol hatches.

the choices - was always on a look out for a premium hatch with a budget of 5-6 lakhs on road. Test drove
Swift - liked it, but rattles and cramped feeling in the back and no folding rear seats was a deal breaker
i20 (1.2)- was nice to drive in city, not so impressed with the pick up and sluggish feel the car gave with just two occupants on board
i10 - was good for city driving but doesn't feel stable on highways, very less steering feedback, also felt tired after long drives, didn't like the sporty seats(head rest way back) and gear lever being on dash board(which makes you bend ahead).
Ritz- Did not like the looks, hence no test drive.
Punto 1.4 - took 2 test drives first from dairy circle concorde through thick traffic, it was not as easy as i10 or i20 to maneuver, struggled with the long clutch travel and not so easy gear shifts.
The second was at Mysore rd Concorde, felt really nice driving on the highway the pick up and the sense of stability was all above average and much better compared to cars above.

the decision - I had just come back from Geneva and had seen a lot of Fiats back there. In about the same time fiat was launching the linea , had keenly followed all the reviews on team-bhp and kind of made up my mind on buying a fiat and with announcement of Punto coming soon coupled with user experiences about improving Fiat's A**.
Once Punto was launched I took a test drive, convinced with positive reviews on team-bhp, booked a Petrol 1.4 Emotion version in minimal Grey on 4th July at concorde motors, Mysore rd,blr

the loan- started loan processing with SBI, after 3 weeks the loan was rejected saying there was an entry in CIBIL, later found out from cibil that it was for an ICICI credit card and due amount was mere Rs.100 but when I checked with ICICI they say no dues...royal mess...got a letter stating the same from ICICI and when I checked with SBI they said apply for loan all over again with the letter,in the mean time HDFC offered me a pre-approved loan since I have an FD with them, hence went for it at 10.5% interest rate

the wait - Concorde had raised an order for the Emotion pkg instead of emotion,I was said to wait for 1 more week for new vehicle to dispatch, i was tired of waiting already so checked if any other color was available and there was a red and black ready, said yes for red.

the payment - made down payment for rest of the amount apart from loan and insurance( got bajaj allianz from outside at 12400 p.a). Initially the dealer had told there were no corporate discounts for punto but read a post here saying Prerana motors had offered 6k discount, after I asked concorde they checked and confirmed that I would indeed get it, although I had made an excess payment, now waiting for the refund cheque of 9k.

the delivery - registration happened on Saturday ,previously had been to Concorde on Friday with the pre-delivery inspection check list from team-bhp and thoroughly checked the car, found one defect-the dash board box in the air bags area was not closing, this was fixed by the time of delivery on Sunday. The car had done 99kms on ODO, got a coupon for 5 ltrs of petrol and the user manual. No other freebies were offered, none of the accessories have arrived so no foot mats, mud flaps or body cover. It would come come by 5th they say, so I guess I will have to pay for them later.

the add-on's - should get seat covers,steering cover and sun films done, I have budget of around 12k so thinking of going for Karlsson imitation leather(PU) and 3M, please help me decide.

Thanks everyone for helping me in my quest to buy my first car, I will post some pics tonight.
zincmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:17   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Congrats,
I too TDed punto Petrol 1.4 yesterday.
Really it's awesome.it pull cleanly from stand still with 4 adults.
I was really enjoyed the composed ride.
My Brother is planning to buy Punto Either Diesel or Petrol.
after hearing a lot of underpoer statement from T-bhpians,I was little tends towards Diesel Punto.
But after Td'ed Petrol Version.I changed my thought.
The car is really fun to drive in city.i have done 30mts TD in very congested route in chennai.
But the only concern is the FE.heard it will give 10-14kmpl and 16-18kmpl in City and Highway respectively with 100% AC.
Do let me tell the FE you are getting now.

Forgot to mention about Rear seat Space.
Definitely it's good ,I adjusted the front seat for my convenient postion and the rear space is good for <6 feet people.I and my brother is very well satisfied with rear seat spacing.
Not too bad as said by other T-Bhpians.

So believe anything after seeing/feeling it yourself.It will give you the clear idea.

Last edited by aks_karthik : 3rd August 2009 at 12:27.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:23   #3
Default Congrats...!

Congrats...! on your new car,
Please upload the PICs
007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:14   #4

Congrats Zinc. I think yours is the first Petrol Punto in Bangalore.

Keep the thread updated with initial driving experience and FE of course.

Enjoy your ride.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:16   #5

Congrats Zinc.

One more Punto hits Bangalore city roads!
aqualeo2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Congrats pal, Great choice!

Do post some pics...
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:07   #7

Congrats Zinc, nice choice of car and colour. Wish you many happy miles ahead.
humans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

congrats dude, and nice report.

don't forget to post pics

anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 16:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

What does Nuova pulcino sul blocco mean?
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 17:10   #10

congrats mate! Just curious why not the emotion pack... the premium above the emotion variant is well worth it.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 17:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by amit View Post

What does Nuova pulcino sul blocco mean?
BTW is that spanish and the meaning please?
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 17:36   #12

Congrats on your new acquisition zinc. New chick on the block...is that right?? It indded is...lady in red.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:28   #13
Senior - BHPian

Congrats brother. Enjoy the beauty.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:44   #14

Originally Posted by NutsNBolts View Post
Congrats on your new acquisition zinc. New chick on the block...is that right?? It indded is...lady in red.
Well mate, the google translation say is like this "New chick in the block" but the real meaning of "Nuova pulcino nel blocco" in Italian comes out to be "new baby chicken is in the block".
No offence but the correct one will be "Nuova bella nel blocco" or "Nuova ragazza nel blocco"

Anyway Zinc, heartiest congratulations for your new car (per tua nuova macchina)

CarSalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2009, 19:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Zinc! Nice choice. Pics please. Drive safe!
prince_pervez is offline   Reply With Quote