Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Closed Thread

Old 5th August 2009, 10:52   #16
BHPian

Its a safety hazard to pedestrians because the crumple zones / design of a car generally go easy on the pedestrian. The crumple zones absorb the impact of an accident allowing the car to take the damage and safeguarding you and your family. Since a bull guard is not considered at the design / testing stage , we do not know how it will behave in a bad accident. A small bump / touch is where this bull guard saves your expensive paint job ; but when its a bad accident it may cause a lot more damage than would otherwise occur. The final call is yours. Some people also like them since they offer a place to fix more fog lights necessary for off-roading.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:16   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Its a safety hazard to pedestrians because the crumple zones / design of a car generally go easy on the pedestrian. The crumple zones absorb the impact of an accident allowing the car to take the damage and safeguarding you and your family. Since a bull guard is not considered at the design / testing stage , we do not know how it will behave in a bad accident. A small bump / touch is where this bull guard saves your expensive paint job ; but when its a bad accident it may cause a lot more damage than would otherwise occur. The final call is yours. Some people also like them since they offer a place to fix more fog lights necessary for off-roading.
I decided to stay with your opinion. I am not going to add a Guard either in the front or Back.

In my accessory list, I have decided to add a Gear lock and a Puncture kit. Any recommendation of Brands?

The car comes with an Engine immobilizer, But since Scorpio is in the top list of thieves, can I add any more safety devices.
I like to see if there is any GPS tracking system available.
I found one (Vehicle and Mobile Asset Tracker, Personal Tracker from TRAQR), and I wrote to them. I will post if they respond.
Old 5th August 2009, 16:48   #18
BHPian

lol, thats the official reason. Given a choice, I would equip my Scorp with a front bull bar (the rear I think makes no sense). I like the looks of the Scorps with a front bar - thats just my opinion of course.

The gear lock is very sensible. Get it as soon as you have delivery. I think the Autocop guys have a good one , but they are often not available. A few inquiries prior to delivery may be sensible , so if they need to order it in you can do so now. Check other after sales accessory shops in your city for good deals.
Old 5th August 2009, 17:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
lol, thats the official reason. Given a choice, I would equip my Scorp with a front bull bar (the rear I think makes no sense). I like the looks of the Scorps with a front bar - thats just my opinion of course.

The gear lock is very sensible. Get it as soon as you have delivery. I think the Autocop guys have a good one , but they are often not available. A few inquiries prior to delivery may be sensible , so if they need to order it in you can do so now. Check other after sales accessory shops in your city for good deals.
I will certainly install one as soon as I get the Vehicle. I too prefer Autocop, But I will shop around before buying one.

BTW, I checked your requirement 7 seater SLE with Captain seats. The sales guy promised to update me tomorrow after confirming with the company. He said there is almost no possibility of doing it through the manufacturer, But can be done with off market. You need to endorse it with the RTO after modifying for insurance purposes.

Last edited by agbenny : 5th August 2009 at 17:48.
Old 5th August 2009, 18:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
kes much sense.
7. Sorry, I meant electric jack.
Instead of the electric jack which is painfully slow and you need to have the engine on for using it (to save your battery), try something like this.

eBay India: 2 TON HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK (COMPACT) (item 300334424697 end time 07-Aug-2009 00:10:35 IST)

I have one that looks exactly like this. Have used it to lift my Safari / Innova.
Old 5th August 2009, 18:53   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Regarding price drop - I have no clue. I also do not see any reason for price drop. Scorpio sale is not as before xylo launch, But still it has decent figures. Local dealer is giving no discounts, and the delivery period is 10-30 days. If there is a demand, I am not sure if M&M will reduce the price.
Well, in this case it is not due to drop in sales, but because in the Union budget, the excise duty was cut, which affects cars in a particular category (and Scorpio falls in that category), the price differential is about 6k in Bangalore, you can check a thread that I started here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-changed.html (Need help: Scorpio prices have changed)
Old 5th August 2009, 22:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanmalhotra View Post
Well, in this case it is not due to drop in sales, but because in the Union budget, the excise duty was cut, which affects cars in a particular category (and Scorpio falls in that category), the price differential is about 6k in Bangalore, you can check a thread that I started here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-changed.html (Need help: Scorpio prices have changed)
I beleive you are correct. There is a price change Rs.10877. I wrote to M&M customer care too about this.
I spoke to local sales person - he is in fact, unaware of that.

I wouldn't mind checking the price at the dealer in Chennai to double check this. I am going to do it tomorrow. Thanks Aman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Hi,

Instead of the electric jack which is painfully slow and you need to have the engine on for using it (to save your battery), try something like this.

eBay India: 2 TON HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK (COMPACT) (item 300334424697 end time 07-Aug-2009 00:10:35 IST)

I have one that looks exactly like this. Have used it to lift my Safari / Innova.
It warns "Lifting weight should not exceed the given specified capacity of this jack" and Capacity: 2 tons. I hope Scoprio is over 2.5 Tons, Right? How do you manage to use it?
Old 6th August 2009, 09:42   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It warns "Lifting weight should not exceed the given specified capacity of this jack" and Capacity: 2 tons. I hope Scoprio is over 2.5 Tons, Right? How do you manage to use it?
the scorpio's kerb weight is 1850 kgs.
Old 6th August 2009, 14:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Safari LX is listed at 2040kgs (mine was a 1999 TCIC). Innova is listed at 1655kgs.

Well, I was also lucky that I have had very rare occasions to use it in the Safari / Innova.

Just a dumb question: We would be lifting a side or a corner, would the weight involved will be the weight of the whole car?

Anyway, there is a 3 ton version of it too, maybe it would be bigger in size, but anyday better than an electric one. But either way, don't throw away the OEM one. Have it as a standby!
Old 6th August 2009, 14:04   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
the scorpio's kerb weight is 1850 kgs.
Sorry, I just read the spec Max GVW - 2510Kgs for 2WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
Just a dumb question: We would be lifting a side or a corner, would the weight involved will be the weight of the whole car?

Anyway, there is a 3 ton version of it too, maybe it would be bigger in size, but anyday better than an electric one. But either way, don't throw away the OEM one. Have it as a standby!

Your question make sense. I do not think the entire weight of the car is going to be on that corner/Jack. I will certainly keep the OEM one with me.

Last edited by agbenny : 6th August 2009 at 14:10.
Old 6th August 2009, 14:37   #26
BANNED

congratulations on your beast, waiting to see her in that colour.
Also to mention do check out the new price on offer from mahindra vehicles where taxes have reduced, so confirm before your payment.
Old 6th August 2009, 21:50   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
congratulations on your beast, waiting to see her in that colour.
Also to mention do check out the new price on offer from mahindra vehicles where taxes have reduced, so confirm before your payment.
Seems like M&M officially yet to pass this news to the dealers. No dealer is aware of this. Local dealer also keeping silent on this though they assured to contact me with the prices. :-)
Old 8th August 2009, 23:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, I just read the spec Max GVW - 2510Kgs for 2WD.

Your question make sense. I do not think the entire weight of the car is going to be on that corner/Jack. I will certainly keep the OEM one with me.
Kerb weight = Unladen weight
GVW = Gross Vehicle weight ( fully laden)
Old 9th August 2009, 20:37   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Kerb weight = Unladen weight
GVW = Gross Vehicle weight ( fully laden)
Yes, Thank you. in the new Spec (new catalog has only GVW), the Kerb weight is not mentioned.
Old 10th August 2009, 12:49   #30
BHPian

[quote=Takumi-san;1416739]agbenny, since you must have fiddled around with various variants - the website mentions that the SLE (the model I am interested in ) does not have a 7 seater option. Is there any way to twist the dealership into getting a 7 seater captain seat SLE ?

I checked with the local dealer today again, and they said there is no easy way to get 7 seater captain seats in SLE model. We need to do it ourself. Not a good news, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanmalhotra View Post
Today the dealer called me and informed me the overall discount would be Rs.5050.
The Ex showroom price is Rs.929668 and on Road. Rs. 1038937.

I expected more, (around 10k), Now i need to bargain before getting a fresh invoice.

Thanks guys for letting me know this. What ever saved, it us because of you.
Closed Thread