Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2009, 18:49   #1
BHPian
 
agbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TN38
Posts: 956
Thanked: 95 Times
Default My new Scorpio VLX mHawk bull was Booked. Now Delivered

Booked my Scorpio last week. Rs.10,43,850 on road. VLX. Expecting it sometime next week.

Friends,

Do you have a list of useful accessories for Scorpio? I have few in my mind, tell me if its a waste of money, I will remove it in my list.

1. Front Bumper protector (I don't know its tech name - Front guard?) I really do not know if this will spoil the 2009 model front looks. Need to find a suitable one.
2. Read Bumper protector
3. Seat covers (I prefer art leather - Gsport) I welcome your suggestions.
4. I do not know the name again - The glass/fiber piece of stuff in the Side walls/doors
5. A steering wheel cover - I felt the steering has less grip during my 1 hrs test drive.
6. Complete floor mat covering the entire floor. (Seller providers free mat pieces which I may keep on top of it)
7. A power jockey.
8. Not much with the Audio - I believe twitters are missing, is it possible to add a pair?

Anything else should I go far?

Thanks,

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th August 2009 at 18:12.
agbenny is offline  
Old 3rd August 2009, 20:23   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,030 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
Booked my Scorpio last week. Rs.10,43,850 on road. VLX. Expecting it sometime next week.

Friends,

Do you have a list of useful accessories for Scorpio? I have few in my mind, tell me if its a waste of money, I will remove it in my list.

1. Front Bumper protector (I don't know its tech name - Front guard?) I really do not know if this will spoil the 2009 model front looks. Need to find a suitable one.
2. Read Bumper protector
3. Seat covers (I prefer art leather - Gsport) I welcome your suggestions.
4. I do not know the name again - The glass/fiber piece of stuff in the Side walls/doors
5. A steering wheel cover - I felt the steering has less grip during my 1 hrs test drive.
6. Complete floor mat covering the entire floor. (Seller providers free mat pieces which I may keep on top of it)
7. A power jockey.
8. Not much with the Audio - I believe twitters are missing, is it possible to add a pair?

Anything else should I go far?

Thanks,
congratulations benny.

1) if you fit a good one, it wont spoil the looks. however, if your priority is passenger & pedestrian safety, avoid one.

2) you mean a rear bumper guard? best avoided.

3) excellent. go for it.

4) i dint understand what you meant. what is it used for?

5) i feel the steering wheel is already very big, adding a cover will make it very huge.

6) recommended.

7) ?????

8) tweeters can be added but best buy a component speaker with tweeter & crossover. buying a tweeter alone will be of no use.
raj_5004 is offline  
Old 3rd August 2009, 21:43   #3
BHPian
 
agbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TN38
Posts: 956
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_Safari View Post
What color are you getting? Can you please create a new thread for this and later you can continue your buying experience and initial ownership in that. Lets leave this thread just to showcase the beauty of the beast.
Sure. I will do. I wanted to do it once I grab mine. :-)

Its Mystic Purple in Color, Though I liked Java Brown - Wife's choice wins.

@raj_5004

2. Is rear bumper Guard won't work? I thought it can prevent the Bumper from ruthless two wheelers.
4. I found its name - Door visor - Will that be looking nice or doing any good?
5. I agree with you now, makes much sense.
7. Sorry, I meant electric jack.
9. I missed to add Sun control film (any good brands - not pricey)
10. This is not ant accessory - Rs.9999 is for Scorpio shield - It is extended warranty (www.sireeshauto.com). I prefer to go for that.
11. Teflon coating/under body anti rust coating. - I need advise on this too.

Last edited by agbenny : 3rd August 2009 at 22:03.
agbenny is offline  
Old 4th August 2009, 08:09   #4
BHPian
 
Takumi-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 364
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

I recommend against the Teflon coating but for the anti rust coating. This latter choice depends on the weather of Coimbatore about which I have no idea. If its anything like Mumbai then its VFM.

Could you please shift this entirely to a new thread? This is going highly OT - mods please move these last posts to a new thread which he can then continue with his purchase.
Takumi-san is offline  
Old 4th August 2009, 09:20   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
raj_5004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Dubai/Mumbai
Posts: 5,078
Thanked: 2,030 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agbenny View Post
@raj_5004

2. Is rear bumper Guard won't work? I thought it can prevent the Bumper from ruthless two wheelers.
4. I found its name - Door visor - Will that be looking nice or doing any good?
5. I agree with you now, makes much sense.
7. Sorry, I meant electric jack.
9. I missed to add Sun control film (any good brands - not pricey)
10. This is not ant accessory - Rs.9999 is for Scorpio shield - It is extended warranty (www.sireeshauto.com). I prefer to go for that.
11. Teflon coating/under body anti rust coating. - I need advise on this too.
2) rear guard will work, but it looks ugly.

4) door visors will look good. but the only reason i avoided them is because after some time, it comes off (its stuck with double sided tape) leaving a ugly black gum stain.

9) among inexpensive ones, 3M & Llumar is good. garware is even cheaper.

10) yes, you may go for the extended warranty.

11) go for underbody anti rust coating, teflon is not necessary actually.
raj_5004 is offline  
Old 4th August 2009, 09:43   #6
BHPian
 
agbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TN38
Posts: 956
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Raj_5004, Thanks for the valuable recommedations.

I will not go for a Teflon coating as you both advised.

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th August 2009 at 18:09.
agbenny is offline  
Old 4th August 2009, 16:33   #7
BHPian
 
agbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TN38
Posts: 956
Thanked: 95 Times
Default My new Scorpio VLX mHawk bull was Booked.

VLX 7seater: After long test drives with mHawk, I booked my machine last week. Its available in the showroom, blocked by paying Rs.50,000. While I preferred Java Brown, family's choice was Mystic purple. I didn't say no to it, since both colors were almost in the same line. So Mystic purple - 7 seater - VLX MT was chosen.
No AT: I was keen to buy an AT, But M&M didn't give me an opportunity - No vehicle to test drive or see either. Waiting got the smooth transition with my old car, and waiting for the car loans to get approved.
Loans: Applied load at SBI 8% for the I year and 10% for II and III year - I believe this is the best deal in India for now. I also considered Kotak Mahindra's Diminishing rate, which is also a better deal comparing to other banks I spoke.
My TD Experience: My overall impression on Scorpio after the TD was much better than before. However, I didn't like the clutch, it was hard sometimes - But part of the reason is that I am not used to Diesel cars so far. The interior could have been improved, its full of poor plastic. I cannot compare the quality of interiors with my present car Aveo which was far superior and the other one I test drove, Linea.

Sorry to Linea: The other one I considered is Linea - Linea's interior was better than present city, in my Opinion, But Linea was struggling to pull her in the slow speed. Linea is not for Tall boys - The seat adjustment didn't help, the front arm rest is almost useless within city drive - if you use hand breaks much. Also gear changes will be difficult with the Arm rest.
Back to Scorpio: On the other side, Scorpio is meant for tall drivers - I was able to accommodate and find a good driving position very easily. For the first time, in my driving life I am getting such experience. Long drives were not favourable to me till date, since I am 6’2’’
I might have selected this, If I saw the 3 years back before my Aveo.

7 seater confusion: I preferred a 7 seater, but not the one with captain seats. I liked the Captain seats in Innova, I thought I will go for the same with Scorpio. When I inspected thoughtfully, I found 7 seater captain seats will leave no space for luggage, It has to be loaded in the last seats, and make the giant boy a 4 seater. I hate to do that. But the middle row bench seat can accommodate three easily even if I am in driver seat with the best position for me. This way I can use the car as 5 seater and the last row for luggage. I believe this make sense to an extent. I also do not like the idea of removing the last row, my heart didn’t accept it for some reason.

Handling experience: The gear shift was not the best, but I believe its better than the old Crde which I drove couple of years back. Initially I didn’t like the gear knob, But after using it, I found my Aveo’s leaver bit fun to grab. The clutch was also not the best, part of the reason is I was applying half clutch or didn't press it full. -)
Steering wheel was bit light to me, will take few days to manage with that. Otherwise I found that I was sitting on an Elephant, felt safe on the cogested and rough Ooty highway.

Back to old style: I like the reverse gear position of Aveo, its in the left top extreme. Also I need to practice the right side indicator change. In Aveo, my Right hand was always engaged only within the steering while the left hand was doing all the other job. So I like this. Now I need to go back to my old Santro days, use both hands for doing two set of things at any time needed.

Booking: Booking process was simple, the Car was readily available, while Black and while has 30 days or less waiting. I paid and blocked the one which is available in the showroom. I met the Area sales manager, who assured to check everything for me, and allow me to trial with two+ cars to choose one, which I will be doing this weekend.

Accessories: I have several Questions on accessories, posted on a wrong thread before (as per mods), hence it was deleted. I would like to get it back here, otherwise I can write my uestions again any day. I will try to keep this thread alive with updates and pictures.
agbenny is offline  
Old 4th August 2009, 17:02   #8
NIP
Senior - BHPian
 
NIP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,150
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Great going agbenny ! You will LOVE the scorpio to bits. Congrats and waiting for delivery
NIP is offline  
Old 4th August 2009, 17:31   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 449
Thanked: 6 Times
Default

I personally like the mystic purple in scorpio but i am yet to see one on the road here. Congrats on the buy and you can start with your questions here so that the thread is alive till you take the delivery
Mission_Safari is offline  
Old 4th August 2009, 19:39   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
anjan_c2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: India
Posts: 5,530
Thanked: 4,682 Times
Default

Congratulations agbenny and welcome to the family of bhpian, Scorpio (ns). One can't help but simply love the SUV despite some features that could have been done up better.Maybe the RERefreshed ones of Gen-nxt get more improvements over the present one.
As regards the accessories I agree with raj.
The bull bars/ front and rear bumper protectors are not that really necessary and eclipse the macho looks of the SUV and even spoil it in case inferior.
I too bought a steering cover and later took it off as the steering has lots of soft feel and grip.
Floor mattting is needed from day one as the carpets will be spoilt.
Seat covers as per your choice also most needed as the original fabric seats tend to get dirty.
By the glass/fibre piece of stuff you may be meaning the claddings. Its OE for the SLE and VLX so your SUV will come fitted with that stuff.
anjan_c2007 is offline  
Old 4th August 2009, 19:45   #11
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: chennai
Posts: 154
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

The model you have booked will have reverse sensors..so if you put rear bumper, its mere waste

i am also planning to go for VLX model. in chennai this comes to 1045300.00 on road.

Hi.. in 7 captain seater, can we fold the last seat??? if that cant be..then its mere waste..

can we keep things below the rear seat if it can be folded, then its should be ok

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use the "edit" button if posting within 20 minutes of the first post, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Also use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th August 2009 at 06:55.
deepanonline is offline  
Old 4th August 2009, 20:39   #12
BHPian
 
Takumi-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 364
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Regarding the sun control film , V-kool is by far the best. Its very expensive, but I strongly recommend it. It works for a long time, long after other cheaper films stop working and simply cling on to the glass as a sort of colored thingy. Garware is second, but the difference in first and second is a big one.
Takumi-san is offline  
Old 4th August 2009, 21:28   #13
BHPian
 
agbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TN38
Posts: 956
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
Regarding the sun control film , V-kool is by far the best. Its very expensive, but I strongly recommend it. It works for a long time, long after other cheaper films stop working and simply cling on to the glass as a sort of colored thingy. Garware is second, but the difference in first and second is a big one.
I agree with you, I had V-Kool in my Aveo, I will stick to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepanonline View Post
Hi..

in 7 captain seater, can we fold the last seat???

if that cant be..then its mere waste..

can we keep things below the rear seat

if it can be folded, then its should be ok
You can fold it, But still you need to keep the luggage on top of the fold. The 7 seater with side facing rear seating make much sense with luggage. Mine is a small family, occassionally I may need all 7 seats, otherwise we are only 4. 8 seaters are too cramped, at least visually it looks cramped.

The only disadvantage I find in this model (7 seater, middle row bench and reas seats side facing) is we can push the middle seats only to an extent. I hope all the 7+ seater SUVs will have this problem with space utilization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepanonline View Post
i am also planning to go for VLX model.
in chennai this comes to 1045300.00 on road.
I am yet to negotiate, so far the seller agreed for Rs.6500 discount in the insurance. They are giving some standard accessories, But I need to find out if I can get more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepanonline View Post
The model you have booked will have reverse sensors..so if you put rear bumper, its mere waste
This is really make much sense, I have dropped this rear bumper idea. Thanks Deepan.

What I do not want to change (at least for next 10K Kms) Tyres or RIM, Speakers/Audio system, Headlights-bulbs.

But I am keen to learn about Pete's and K&N filters. I may start with K&N or Green filters. Any suggestions will help me much.

BTW, This is the first time I try Quote+, Sorry mods for missing this so far! :-)
agbenny is offline  
Old 5th August 2009, 08:18   #14
BHPian
 
Takumi-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 364
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

agbenny, since you must have fiddled around with various variants - the website mentions that the SLE (the model I am interested in ) does not have a 7 seater option. Is there any way to twist the dealership into getting a 7 seater captain seat SLE ?

You had also asked about front bull bar, IMHO the one that Raj has really suits the Scorp. Another one which I also like is as attached. These two really work without screwing up the looks of the SUV as is the thing with other bull bars. Mind you, this also depends on the color of your ride to see which suits better.

On another note, there are rumours about a Scorpio price drop. Have you any idea about these?

<edit> not my car, its one that I really liked and saved from the Scorpio pictures thread. Since the owner had put it up without blackening out the number plate, I hope he does not mind that I have re-used the picture here. The chrome grill in this case gels really well with the guard too. </edit>
Attached Thumbnails
My new Scorpio VLX mHawk bull was Booked. Now Delivered-chromeallbull.jpg  


Last edited by Takumi-san : 5th August 2009 at 08:19. Reason: disclaimer
Takumi-san is offline  
Old 5th August 2009, 10:01   #15
BHPian
 
agbenny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: TN38
Posts: 956
Thanked: 95 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takumi-san View Post
agbenny, since you must have fiddled around with various variants - the website mentions that the SLE (the model I am interested in ) does not have a 7 seater option. Is there any way to twist the dealership into getting a 7 seater captain seat SLE ?

You had also asked about front bull bar, IMHO the one that Raj has really suits the Scorp. Another one which I also like is as attached. These two really work without screwing up the looks of the SUV as is the thing with other bull bars. Mind you, this also depends on the color of your ride to see which suits better.

On another note, there are rumours about a Scorpio price drop. Have you any idea about these?
Thanks for sharing the picture which has a nice Front bump. But our friends here say that its a safety hazard to the pedestrians. I don't know how.

Regarding price drop - I have no clue. I also do not see any reason for price drop. Scorpio sale is not as before xylo launch, But still it has decent figures. Local dealer is giving no discounts, and the delivery period is 10-30 days. If there is a demand, I am not sure if M&M will reduce the price.

Regarding your request - SLE with Captains seat 7 seater - I will check with the local dealer.
agbenny is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ownership Report - My new Scorpio VLX mHawk - 25,000 kms and counting raj_5004 Long-Term Ownership Reviews 319 25th May 2011 13:59
My new Scorpio VLX mHawk - I'm lovin it ! car.lover Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 56 29th October 2009 10:06
Old Scorpio Mhawk>>> New Scorpio Mhawk rishin.kalra SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 9 21st July 2009 15:51


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:47.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks