Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th August 2009, 20:39   #1
BHPian

Default Acquired a used Hyundai Getz GVS 2007

My hunt for a car started somewhere around august 2009. Been driving my brother’s car and thought it was time for me to own one. I was not very keen on a new car and also had budget constraints. I was expecting a hike in October and thought it would be the right time to buy. My manager promised me a hike of around 25% and I was obviously excited and it was then the hunt began.
I started with Mahindra first choice and Maruti true value. At that time, I wasn’t sure which car I actually wanted. My brother had a Santro and hence I didn’t want another Santro. Searched for 2 months for a decent car without any luck and then came October. I received a mail from my Tech manager with the hike letter and then I see a single digit % hike. My dream of buying a car was shattered. With the hike I got, I couldn’t afford the EMI. I almost gave up on owning a car. Then came another thought, “why not change my job?” and that’s what I did and by mid November I had a new job with a salary hike of 50%. Thought of settling down for a while and then start the search again.

Meanwhile I fell in love with the Scorpio and I badly wanted to own one. Been following the thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...their-suv.html looking at the pics of all the Scorpios. I decided that I will buy a Scorpio, but I didn’t know how. I told my friends and they laughed at me. Told my dad and dad was not very keen on it. Only then I realised that it is not in my reach. I decided that if not now, one day I will own a SUV for sure.
Then in December I went to Goa on vacation with my friends. We hired a self driven GETZ. That was it. It was ‘Love at first drive’ . I knew what I wanted. Again told my friends and same old dialogues, ‘ it is outdated”, No Mileage” etc. Confusion again.
Friends told me to go for swift. I went to true vale to check some used swift though I didn’t really want a swift. Like someone rightly said ‘ Swift is life cockroach, found everywhere”. In the end, I decided that it is going to be the GETZ. My heart ruled over my mind

I checked online and found that Hyundai had a used car division. Called them up and then went to Trident, Indiranagar. Met a person by name Sudhir. He was so polite and helpful. He showed me all the GETZ he had in stock. Didn’t like any because most of them had run for 25000+ Kms. Kept checking on Sudhir for 2 weeks asking him whether he got any more in stock. He called me one day saying he has a red GLX, top end. I said “NO” because I didn’t want red colour.
After that for 2 weeks I didn’t hear from Sudhir. I called him saying I will have a look at the red GETZ. He said it is gone. He called me the next day saying he has a GETZ GVS 2007 model run for 8500+kms. I went there and saw the car. Only a few scratches. Test drove it for around 15 minutes. Felt great. This is what I have been waiting for. I had gone through the thread “ Buying an used car” and knew what to look for. In the end I decided to go for it. I paid an advance of 20,000 and asked for 2 weeks to arrange for cash.

Things with the bank didn’t go as expected as it was a used car. At last I couldn’t wait for long and hence decided to go the used car loan trough Trident. Loan was approved in a week’s time and at last I had her in hands. I don’t know how to express the feelings I went through that day. I will remember that day life long. My FIRST CAR. Am loving it

The car came with 2 front speakers. I don’t know which one, and a pioneer HU. I got 2 rear speakers installed last week. JBL GTO947. Also got 2 service free and 1 year warranty on engine and transmission. Also got LUMAR sunfilms and autocop basic as compliments.

Guys, Pics will follow soon. Kindly have patience.

Zteg
zteg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 22:05   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats should be a nice car, what with just 8500+ on the clock! Any reason why the previous owner wanted to sell it? And how much did you buy it for? Is it s GVS Petrol or a Diesel?
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2009, 22:10   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Thats should be a nice car, what with just 8500+ on the clock! Any reason why the previous owner wanted to sell it? And how much did you buy it for? Is it s GVS Petrol or a Diesel?
The previous owner wanted to go for a sedan. i paid 3.5lacs for it including registration... it is GVS petrol. its not the prime. it is the one before the prime. I brought it from Trident Hyundai. Though a bit expensive, but can be trusted.
Old 7th August 2009, 10:31   #4
BHPian

Congrats Zteg,

Wish you a great drive ahead. I think 3.5 L is a decent price for the 1.3 GVS.
Pls post some pics please

Drive safe!

Sunil
sunil.nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2009, 10:38   #5
BHPian

Hey Thanks sunil. Evn i thought so. The first car that he showed me was a 2005 model GETZ, black colour. He quoted 3 for it. I always wanted balck, But then felt 2005 is very old. For my car he quoted 3.75. Bargained a bit and in the end came down to 3.5
Will post the pics by today evening.
Old 7th August 2009, 21:21   #6
BHPian

Hey Guys, as mentioned earlier, here I am with some pics. Hope you enjoy them.

There she was waiting to be picked up at Trident, Indiranagar.

Acquired a used Hyundai Getz GVS 2007-img_0682.jpg

Acquired a used Hyundai Getz GVS 2007-img_0683.jpg

Acquired a used Hyundai Getz GVS 2007-img_0685.jpg

Acquired a used Hyundai Getz GVS 2007-img_0688.jpg

When she came home the first time.

Acquired a used Hyundai Getz GVS 2007-img_0705.jpg

Acquired a used Hyundai Getz GVS 2007-img_0706.jpg

Puja time

Acquired a used Hyundai Getz GVS 2007-img_0718.jpg

Acquired a used Hyundai Getz GVS 2007-img_0741.jpg

Back home again. (Had something else in mind. I was inspired by a pic i saw in the scorpio thread. Didnt work as planned. Am a bad photographer )

Acquired a used Hyundai Getz GVS 2007-img_0759.jpg

Zteg
Old 9th August 2009, 14:02   #7
BHPian

Smile The first Dent

Hey Guys, to be precise i got my car on May 19th 2009 and its been with me for almost 3months and 3500kms so far. Just 4 days after i got the car home, it rained heavily that evening here in bangalore and my friend scratched against a stone when parking the car. There was a long scratch and a dent on the rear left door. I felt really bad because it was just 4 days old. I called up trident immediately and told them the story, and they told their body shop is on Hosur road and asked me to take the car there. Since my friend's office is in electronic city, i asked him to take the car the next day and show it at the hyundai showroom.
My friend called me up the next day saying that they quoted 8500 bucks for it. The damage was not that bad either. I felt 8500 was too much for that job. I asked him to get the car back. So for almost a month i was running around with the dent. I had been searching TBHP for infomation on body shops.

One fine day I was talking to my house owner and i told him about the dent and showed it to him. He said his brother in law has a car body shop and said he will call him. The next day the BIL comes, looks at the dameage and quoyes 1200bucks. I was like Wat!! Where was 8500 and where was 1200. Though i was not very sure about his work, i took the chance and the next weekend i was at his workshop. I stood there from around 10Am till 4PM. Didnt want to give the car all to themselves.
The mechanic started his work and started banging the door from all sides. I was still not sure whether its gonna work. I still had the fear deep inside. I called the owner and asked him whether it will work. The way its been going so far, i had my doubts. He convinced me saying," Relax, have patience. In the end you cant even make out that there was a dent"
That gave me some confidence.

So the guy banged it from sides, heated it, banged it again, applied putti, polished it, applied what not and in the end it had come back to its original shape. I was actually expecting something to go wrong. Felt happy looking at his work so far. Then came the painting part. The color of my car is real earth. He said he had the colour. He started painting and with the first coat the paint looked different to me. He said, it will be fine after a few coats. I agreed because i didnt know much about it. Even after several coats, the paint was a bit different. It wasnt matching perfectly. It was more whitish. But for all the mechanics there, the color matched. I argued with them, but in the end i had to give up. Paid them and drove back home. Next day I went back there for some polishing and still no improvement.

I left it as it was,thinking it will be fine in a few days after the paint sets completely. But even after 15 days, no better. It only looked more whitish. Thought of getting it repainted at some of the outlets as mentioned on TBHP. But one day i across 'com paint' in one of the threads and i thought of giving it a try before repainting the door. I ordered the value pack- Hyundai real earth color and in a week, i got the parcel delivered. So the next day, i equipped my self with all that is required for it. I was all set to do a DIY paint job. I rebbed the surface with some emery paper ( as mentioned in com paint website) and then sprayed 2 coats of paint as per the instructions and voila!! the paint matched. Though there is a minute difference because of the fresh paint being a bit darker. I guessed that would fade in a few days. Now its more than 2 weeks and the paint matches perfectly. It is a bit rough there. I need to polish it with wax. Will get it done in 2 weeks.

Acquired a used Hyundai Getz GVS 2007-img_0747_1.jpg

Acquired a used Hyundai Getz GVS 2007-img_0748_1.jpg
Old 9th August 2009, 15:15   #8
BANNED

zteg, congrats on your getz, surely its a good deal and feels so wonderful to buy owns car.Sorry to hear about the scratch but you managed well to take that out, can you post the details of com paint stuff, cost of it and how many quantity comes along.Enjoy your ride.
Any change in interiors, seat covers as well, do share and more of her pics please.Before prime, getz had black interiors which looks too good.IMO.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2009, 15:30   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaythacker View Post
can you post the details of com paint stuff, cost of it and how many quantity comes along.
Any change in interiors, seat covers as well, do share and more of her pics please.Before prime, getz had black interiors which looks too good.IMO.
Thanks Vijay. The DIY paint job looks good to me. But you can always see the difference when observed vey closely as I am no professional
The instrument panel is black and the roof, pillars are beige in color. I have planned for some accessories. As of now i got a GTO 947 installed. Headlamps, seatcovers, 2DIN HU, woofer and amp are in pipeline. I cant go for all of it in one go. Hence I will be getting it done one after the other.

Next in mind is the seat covers and rally bulbs. Planning to go for art leather. Dual tone. Beige with black. Something like this. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...e-dsc04709.jpg

I guess that will look good as my interiors is a mix of beige and black. Will keep you updated as and when i get it done.
Suggestions are always welcome

Zteg
Old 9th August 2009, 15:35   #10
BHPian

[quote=vijaythacker;1423274] can you post the details of com paint stuff, cost of it and how many quantity comes along.Enjoy your ride.
quote]

Oops I forgot to mention about the com paint. I ordered the paint online. I ordered the value pack. It costed me 350 Rs net. The pack includes the following:
  1. Com paint Real earth color 120g
  2. Com merge 120g
  3. Aeroshot Top Cut 50g
Zteg
Old 11th August 2009, 19:33   #11
BHPian

Hey guys, I have some doubts regarding Getz.

1. I need to press the clutch in order to start the car. Else it wont start. What could be the reason behind this? I have read about it somewhere on this forum, but am not able to find it now.

2. How much fuel is left in the fuel tank once the low fuel indicator starts blinking?

Zteg
Old 12th August 2009, 21:39   #12
BHPian

Guys, Is Sachin's Autoshop, Koramangala good enough for accessories apart from ICE. Plannin to upgrade my headlamps to 100/90. Also am planning to get art leather seat covers from them. How good are they in them? Inputs required.
Old 12th August 2009, 21:54   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by zteg View Post
Hey guys, I have some doubts regarding Getz.

1. I need to press the clutch in order to start the car. Else it wont start. What could be the reason behind this? I have read about it somewhere on this forum, but am not able to find it now.

2. How much fuel is left in the fuel tank once the low fuel indicator starts blinking?

Zteg
Fuel part no idea.

The Hyundai's have something called a clutch lock to prevent you from starting the car when in gear.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 21:59   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Fuel part no idea.

The Hyundai's have something called a clutch lock to prevent you from starting the car when in gear.
You can still start the car pressing the clutch.
Old 12th August 2009, 22:26   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

@Zteg, congrats. A 8500km run car must be a good bargain. I have heard of a few cars from Trident like that, and looks to be a good option.

8500 is way toooo much. A friend's NHC is going for painting etc - both bumpers, roof, left rear door & door arch .. all but 4 sections of the car (2 doors, bonnet & a quarter panel (near the wheels) are the only good sections left now). The quote I got outside is about 13k. And 18-19 k for a bumper to bumper paint job, including some tinkering & a bumper patching.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote