Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th September 2009, 00:58   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
My Santro can accelerate faster !!! It is also not the fastest of the blocks at signals.
Therein lies the problem. You are comparing with a naturally aspirated petrol engine, but 1.3 MJD is a turbocharged diesel engine. Turbocharged engines need a few revs to get the boost going and hence you feel the Santro being quicker off the blocks, but overall its still way slower than Linea. That's the way a lot of small diesel engines are. Mind you the 1.3 MJD for its size is a power packed mill. In our case we are upgrading from Indica where the engine only pulls from 2K rpm, but in Linea the surge starts from 1500 rpm! So we have an extra 500 revs to play with (compared to Indica) and feel a lot better. You just have to get used to it and learn to keep it in the torque band.

- I won a 12 AM traffic light to traffic light drag race with a Zen about 2-3 days back. Of course when the lights turned green the Zen shot ahead but by the next traffic lights it was already a tiny speck in the rear view mirror.

Last edited by firstguri : 9th September 2009 at 00:59.
firstguri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 10:25   #152
Senior - BHPian

Yes i have faced it a lot of time in Chennai traffic.
Once singnal is green Everyone is moving forward with full throttle.
To keep up with all of them is little bit tough as our turbo kicks after 1500 rpm only and first two gears are not for racing and reaches till 3000rpm.

I used to change 3rd gear ASAP and zip past everyone.

It needs a lot of speedy work with gears But i love to do
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 22:29   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstguri View Post
You just have to get used to it and learn to keep it in the torque band.
Maybe a stupid question - what is the best way to keep it in the torque band?
achinthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2009, 22:39   #154
BHPian

Either rev it patiently in current gear or quickly downshift .

Quote:
neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 08:03   #155
Senior - BHPian

The response of the second gear at signals in my linea has improved leaps and bounds after the first service. though i am not racing, it is all getting used to long clutch thingy
geeash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 10:07   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
though i am not racing, it is all getting used to long clutch thingy
Absolutely true. I'm still getting used to it so most of the time I'm last to take-off at a signal! But on the other hand, it gives more time to others to admire my beauty
vineet_k21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 10:14   #157
Senior - BHPian

I always keep my car in low rev and be the last one to move in the signals.
Once i find a open road i increases the RPM and enjoy the torque.
I know my car power and never race with other cars.
just allow them to go and smile myself blandly.
If we revs our car in right gear ,can easily win the race.
But it hits the FE.
Now-a-days i am increasing the speed.
My Average speed rises to 18kmph and the mileage too.
I am getting 14.7 kmpl in 100% City and AC.
aks_karthik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 11:25   #158
BANNED

I always take off as soon as the traffic Signal goes green & generally in 99% cases, am the 1st in the lead amongst all cars notwithstanding whichever cars they are. I quickly change gears, very quickly. In 100-200 meters, after signal opens, on the open road ahead, I'm already into 5th gear.
VahanPujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 11:35   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Linea produces max torque at 2.5K rpm with quite useful torque at 2K rpm as well, and max power at 4K rpm. To keep in the torque band just hold onto the gears for a little longer, say like around 3K to 3.5K. Dont cross 4K though as power dips on from there. Make sure you're carrying momentum, which means that keep on accelerating and dont ease off before upshifting. When you do a quick shift up at 3.5K rpm the revs fall back in the range of 2K-2.5K rpm, which is in the max torque range and the car will keep on pulling cleanly.

So basically to keep in the torque band just hold the gears for a longer period than normal before upshifting.
But it will be detrimental for the FE and if you're the kind of person who wants to maximise every drop of fuel then shift early. I usually shift at 2K rpm when the engine is cold and when its warmed up I go till 3K rpm.
Old 10th September 2009, 18:32   #160
BHPian

Thanks for the tips !!! Will try them out soon !!!

One more question - there is a hook present in the rear provided for the rear passenger (above the door). Any idea what these hooks are for?

Last edited by achinthg : 10th September 2009 at 18:34.
Old 10th September 2009, 18:38   #161
BHPian

Those are coat-hooks. To hang coats/blazers by hanger.

Quote:
Thanks for the tips !!! Will try them out soon !!!

One more question - there is a hook present in the rear provided for the rear passenger (above the door). Any idea what these hooks are for?
neotraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2009, 21:03   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neotraveller View Post
Those are coat-hooks. To hang coats/blazers by hanger.
Yes and there are no hooks on the co-passengers door handle! So that you cant hang anything there and thereby dont obstruct the drivers view.
Old 16th September 2009, 22:00   #163
BHPian

Last Thursday my Linea met with an accident . I was taking a left turn and a tempo traveller who was turning with me just came and rammed into the car !!!! The body above the right front wheel was damaged !!!

Called Bajaj Allianz the same night, provided all the details of the accident and was provided a claim reference number. Next day went to Prerana Motors in Kudlu Gate (Hosur Road) and damage was assessed at Rs.3000/-. Filled all the necessary insurance forms and left. I was told I will get my car back in 3 working days.

I went to get the car back today and the body damage has been repaired nicely. But as expected with TASS found minor scratches at multiple places on the car. Also interior was really dirty with black greasy spots everywhere . SA got all the scratches removed/reduced using some kind of scratch removal paste and also got the interior cleaned.

Though SA and CRM were very friendly and courteous TASS needs to pull up their socks when it comes to taking care of our cars !!!
Old 16th September 2009, 23:33   #164
BHPian

I read most of the posts in your thread. Here are a few cents I can throw, which you might have anyway read in other threads.
- I have fired my Linea MJD right from day 1 (speed upto 165) and sudden burst from slow or standstill. I have driven 12000 Km now and doing better than ever
- I once filled nitrogen. The pressure went down very quick. I don't know why. It started scraping all bumps. I filled 33 with my foot pumps I have for cycle. Rear is a bit harsh, but escapes most bumps now. I checked the pressure in a fuel pump last week before my long drive. The pressure remained good at 32/33 for as long as three/four months.
- Brake dust on the front alloys are annoying. But one thing I can tell you. I took a series of test drives in other cars for one of my friend and I felt all other cars brakes were slippery after getting used to Linea brakes. No wonder, all megazines reported best 100-0 stop in shortest time and distance in the segment.
- You find your santro peppier in signal!! I don't know how I can explain this. You can work on the clutch (sort of half or quarter clutch or whatever) and just throttle until the turbo band kicks in. I do this without even having to look at the tacho because I got so much used to the feedback of this engine and its gear ratios. I get understeer in first gear and second gear because of the spin of the wheels. If I make a right turn in signals like this, it gives almost like the 360 spin and be careful with that during turns. I have felt this a couple of times and avoid. Anyway, this belong to reckless driving, but point is, I can leave almost any vehicle behind in the signal if I want to. Ah! Forgot to tell you, after a hard first gear throttle, again shifting to second, you can do that half/quarter clutch thing again to be in the power band. I don't know how best I can explain this. Hope you get after a few tries.
- I have not done really steep hair pin bend climbs. But in some climbs where I used to struggle to maintain 60 in Indica and Spark earlier (note I'm a spirited driver at times, done till 140 on Indica DLS and 150 on spark speedos), I had easily pulled to the speed limit the curves would allow my Linea. I love the curves by the way in this car.
- About mileage, always maitain rpm above 1100. If you observe in the instantanous consumption, you will find that it drinks more in fifth gear at 40 than a fourth gear at 40, without pressing any throttle. The same is true in all gears and speeds. On the other hand, you can let the car roll comfortably even at rpms as high as 2500. It won't drink fuel unless you are pressing on the throttle. In fact, if you want to accelerate, you should be in a gear that pulls cleaner and shift up once you reach the speed that you want to maintain. Last weekend, I touched 27.3 Kmpl from my home in Jayanagar via Electronic city, Hosur till Tindivanam on the way to Pondy/Mayiladuthurai. I have posted the pics of the display. I drove 855Kms with less than a full tank fuel.

I have my own shares of misfortunes in my car, including a bang from behind by a bike, needs bumper to be replaced. Already link rod changed once for a minute steering noise. And just today, changed antiroll bar changed after I noticed very bad squeaking sound. I earlier mistook this squeak as some loose plastic noise until it became worse. Now everything is perfect. Will claim the bumper and also left fender next month when I go for 15000 Km service.
opendro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2009, 23:45   #165
UKR
BHPian

Unhappy TASS: Intention is good, but lacks competence

Quote:
Last Thursday my Linea met with an accident . I was taking a left turn and a tempo traveller who was turning with me just came and rammed into the car !!!! The body above the right front wheel was damaged !!!
Achinth,

Really sad to know that, One really can't do much to prevent such things from happening. Glad that you got it rectified to your satisfaction.

TASS in my area is also in the same state. I had to take my Linea to them for some minor issues. The CRM was very friendly and helpful even though he was literally on his toes and running around trying to handle the number of customers. But such courtesy was not there before I escalated things to the CEO desk .

My linea is nearing its service (3000kms) and I already have a list of some 15 issues to be rectified which includes the ones caused by TASS during my previous visits and the famous ones reported by senior Lineans in the forum. I believe I will have to take two days off to be there with my car on the service bay to ensure that they don't create new issues. Keeping my fingers crossed on the next visit

Meanwhile wishing you the best and drive safe.
UKR is offline   Reply With Quote