Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th August 2009, 01:06   #226
Senior - BHPian

More interesting stuff! Read the manual and its the MOST comprehensive guide that ever came with a car I have owned. Loved reading a few sections. There are parts I want you'll to read. Will scan tomorrow and post here!

ps: ill answer all the unanswered posts above me in depth tomorrow. On the move, so not much scope to multi quote :-)
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 17:59   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
frank, i like item 260464515804, but tell you what, 20north.com is my fave online shopping place, you can get stuff from merchants in the US in indian money and the price includes duty!!

so, here's what i found, 5 ford key chains, you might want to check them out as well:

Shop in the US from India @ 20North - ford+keychains : All

Check out the 'ford racing' key chain, it'll fit your 'S' perfectly!!

EDIT
: Frankie, it also has the key chain 'pranava' suggested, the tough logo piston one for just under 2000rs!!
the keychains here are very expensive IMHO. Not worth it. I would rather order 1-2 directly from Ebay. Even if I lose one, and order another, it will not cost as much as 20North is quoting.
Another advice, my friend. Don't be too dependent on that site. It has been blocked by my Firefox before. Just a warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
nice work pal, looks neat!!

@frank - am not sure if this will look as good as it does in the picture, in flesh!! go with the body colored ones if you want them!!
Brilliantly done. Thank you DJNIK. I think I am better off without the black strips, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Franky, did you get those stanley tissues, sorry tissue box ? If you are getting any deal like 'buy one get one free', let me know, I will PM my address.

If you are very particular that you want a side strip other than white, go for aquarius blue strip. I will link this place to 'weird and wacky mods' thread for free. Running for cover

Now give me 555, this is my 555th post. LOL
Aquarius blue????

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjNik View Post
Glad you like it, hope it helps frank in deciding.
Lovely. Already helped me in deciding. One more factor that helped in deciding is the fact that I saw a White fiesta with black strips on it. Took a few photos while driving. So can't tell how bad/good it looks in real. But yes, it IS tacky!
frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-25082009002.jpg

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-25082009.jpg

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-25082009001.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
I like the car with the strips (in black), they add 'length' to the car making it look leaner (and meaner). The black strip kinda connects the black tyres front and back and gives a visual break from the stark white of the rest of the car. The front has a fair bit of black so the sides compliment that scheme with the strips added.

@ DjNik - wonderful, clean work!

Cheers,
I would agree with your opinion. But alas, in real, they don't go well with the white. And they will look even more weird with the white Side Skirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaurav_chopra04 View Post
I agree that the car looks good with strips, but these after market strips comes off very easily and then the car looks tacky. You cannot get a single piece and will have to buy a complete set everytime one comes off. Please try to avoid.

In between.. I got my tissue box.. its not Stanley but its leather, black with white stitching..same as the cedia's upholstery. Will post pics in the evening. Got it for about Rs.700.
I have totally forgotten about the tissue box. Will buy one soon. Might get one stitched locally in Art Leather. Which is a good idea, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydude View Post
Congrats Frank!! on getting the tyres approved for your fiesta. Can you please check with the technician if the same is done in all the service centers.

I wish to upgrade the tyres on my all new ikon TDCi, but am afraid, coz the service center might cease the warranty on the vehicle.

Thanks in advance!!
I am DEAD sure you can do a tyre change, if you do not mess the profile/rim size. They will incorporate these changes in ANY ford you buy..

Read on.

GUYS,
I was reading the manual last night and found some interesting things in it.

Let's talk about them one by one.

The Tyre Issue:

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-image0.jpg

Question 1: What is NATIONAL TYPE APPROVAL?
Question 2: IF they MENTION that you are changing the tyre size, doesn't it mean that you are ALLOWED TO do that???

Auto Lock:
frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-image1.jpg
The AUTO LOCK part is clearly mentioned. 45 seconds in the Fiesta.

ALSO, i never knew it had an AUTO OFF function for the boot light too. Smart, smart Ford!!

Starting 'PROBLEM:'

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-image11.jpg

The Manual states that one MIGHT have trouble starting the engine at times. This is the FIRST time I have ever seen a manufacturer claim something like this. LOL. Read it and follow the instructions as mentioned.

Now my question is: WHAT IF this happens at a traffic signal. Wouldn't one be stranded for long with cars honking, with such a stupid procedure?

Mandatory Stuff about the car:

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-image01.jpg

Good instructions to a diesel car owner to switch off his car after a while. People with Diesel Fiestas, please pay attention to this!

Handy Bulb Replacement Chart for people who are JUST too bored to open the manual

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-image2.jpg

Engine Specs of the 1.6 Petrol and 1.4 Diesels:
frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-image21.jpg

Please discuss the above points. I am sure one will have a lot to learn if they read the manual. Read it, learn and be surprised as to HOW much Ford offers in the car without publicising it shamelessly (like many other manufacturers!)

Last edited by Dippy : 31st August 2009 at 00:43. Reason: aligning pics
Old 27th August 2009, 18:01   #228
Team-BHP Support

Hey Frank, all attachments are invalid !

You sure you uploaded them on tbhp servers or external hosts (not allowed) ?
Eddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 18:05   #229
Senior - BHPian

just corrected that. I dunno what went wrong. Had uploaded them earlier too. Just got wiped out.
Old 27th August 2009, 19:03   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
just corrected that. I dunno what went wrong. Had uploaded them earlier too. Just got wiped out.
May be you are not supposed to post them in a public forum. Ford may not like it 'shamelessly' publicised.

By the way, the black stripped white car which you saw on road, I think its an EXI variant. Dont you see the door handles and even the ORVMs too in black ? So it doesnt look that bad. But thats not the case in your beauty !
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 19:45   #231
Senior - BHPian

yep shaju. it was a tdci EXi and it was looking ok. Since the slightly shiny black strips didn't go with the otherwise matte black of the plastics.

AS far as the part about Ford's publicity is concerned, the FIRST step towards improving their image is to rehaul their website. I don't know about many of you, but a company website speaks volumes about the dedication of the company, for me.
Ford India JUST doesn't have an exciting enough website. Sorry, but a patch job for a website might not excite me to buy your cars the next time around, Mr. Ford.
Old 27th August 2009, 20:31   #232
Senior - BHPian

Agreed, the website doesnt excite any new car hunter in the market. But you will change your opinion bigtime if you check the Ford US website. Its very different. I dont know why they cant showcase something similar here. You will have another bigtime CARGASM if you check the 2011 ford fiesta showcased there supposed to be launched early 2010. We might all go hiding if thats launched here early 2010. Its such a looker.
shajufx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 00:17   #233
Senior - BHPian

2 things:
1. Slight dead spot in 2nd gear (as spoken about by many here)
2. Rattles (squeak in driver's seat. One small rattle in the dashboard, and a slight thud on hitting the bumps. Nothing from the suspension.) Will be ironed out in the 1st service.

Question: S owners, not ZXi owners will be better candidates to answer. Mumbai is full of potholes and uneven roads. Is the steering supposed to stay stable, or jiggle (to left and right) when driving over undulated surfaces?
Also, while braking, does one have to hold on to the steering wheel tightly? It still is slipping from my hand, but not much. Methinks I am still not used to the hard suspension and slightly more responsive steering. Troubling me a lot in the head. I am sure it's not a defect in the car. Just a state of mind. Someone please confirm my findings, so I can be a little more secure and enjoy her the way I should.
Old 30th August 2009, 01:37   #234
Senior - BHPian

The odometer is now showing 585 kilometers. Will speak in points!

1. Engine: Has become even smoother, more tractable, responsive and the driveability of the engine has increased since the day we got delivery. Expecting it to get even better after further running in.

2. Suspension: As expected, has softened slowly but surely. The alignment woes are over, and the ride has become more cossetting, though the sound of the PP2s hitting each thud is audible. And painful to hear.

3. Brakes: Slightly softer now, and have not tested them extensively, other than usual driving around. ABS has not been deployed yet. In all, the car is very eager to stop when the brakes are brought into service.

4. NVH: I am not used to driving around in such silent confines, but some rattles have crept in. One noise from the dash, one (really irritating creaking, at that) from my seat, and one from the rear doors. These small noises still need to be ironed out.

5. FE: Still filled up only twice, and the 2nd tank has still not run itself out.

6. ICE: She is now getting some serious equipment in the coming month, and I am sure all the rattles (if any) will be ignored after that. The stock ICE is strictly ok, and I feel handicapped hearing the music emanate from such average speakers. Soon, this will not be the case.

7. Air conditioning: I don't know if it's the weather outside, or the quality of the film used on all the glasses, but the A/C cools the car in a jiffy. It's OFFICIALLY the best a/c I have ever experienced, and I am happy to see that the cabin cools up in a matter of minutes even if the car stands in the sun for more than a few hours. Super chilling performance! Have used the defogger quite a few times of late, and I have gotten used to a gadget I thought, I would never be using. So it's a good thing!

Overall, this car is shaping up to be QUITE the hoot to drive. The normal running-in instructions are being followed, but a couple of times, I felt like letting loose and revved her silk smooth engine to 3500 (tonight, while coming back, she almost saw 4000) and the speedo showed 95 (<100)
I just cant enough of driving her and I am dead sure she will see a lot of miles on her once she's run in and I can rip her. I am loving the small jaunts with her, and getting to know her.
Old 30th August 2009, 13:40   #235
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
7. Air conditioning: I don't know if it's the weather outside, or the quality of the film used on all the glasses, but the A/C cools the car in a jiffy. It's OFFICIALLY the best a/c I have ever experienced, and I am happy to see that the cabin cools up in a matter of minutes even if the car stands in the sun for more than a few hours.
cannot agree with you more!! with the ac/blower on 1, the car cools considerably in less than 5-7 minutes!! there have been instances when i've switched the ac off just because it was too cold for me to handle, lol!! the best a/c for sure!!

PS: am working on my signature!!

Last edited by raamki : 30th August 2009 at 13:41.
raamki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 16:00   #236
BHPian

Hi Frank,

Congrats for Fiesta 1.6 S (I know I am late to wish but not too late), In diamond white it looks stunning, even when I booked Fiesta 1.4 D SXi my first choice was diamond white, but my wifey insisted platinum.

I have learned many things through your thread, when I got my santro long back, I never went through manual (yesterday I went through it).
After delivery of Fiesta 1.4 D Sxi, I'll religiously go through manual (especially this will be my first diesel car).

Thanks
rajeshvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 19:04   #237
Senior - BHPian

Appreciate those kind words, sir. I am happy to be of any assistance to you, if you don't understand anything from the manual. Cheers!

and congrats on the new car. It's a beauty!!
Old 30th August 2009, 20:24   #238
BHPian

Frank@ I followed your thread when you posted PDI of 1.6S and post to that I came to know how much 'Fida' you are for your car

You talked about number plate, Michelin PP2, ICE but not able to find details of what seat covers & sun films you fitted in your 1.6S! ( It might happen that I missed but would like to know about it as you do lot of research before purchasing anything)

Same as you I was confused between 1.6S & ZXI but finally settled on 1.4 ZXI.

I really liked the exterior of 1.6S and am crazy about it but we can't go for combination of 1.6S & ZXI/SXI

I booked 1.4 TDCI ZXI Platinum and expecting delivery on 28th of Sept!

Last edited by kumar7 : 30th August 2009 at 20:26.
kumar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 23:49   #239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar7 View Post
Frank@ I followed your thread when you posted PDI of 1.6S and post to that I came to know how much 'Fida' you are for your car

You talked about number plate, Michelin PP2, ICE but not able to find details of what seat covers & sun films you fitted in your 1.6S! ( It might happen that I missed but would like to know about it as you do lot of research before purchasing anything)

Same as you I was confused between 1.6S & ZXI but finally settled on 1.4 ZXI.

I really liked the exterior of 1.6S and am crazy about it but we can't go for combination of 1.6S & ZXI/SXI

I booked 1.4 TDCI ZXI Platinum and expecting delivery on 28th of Sept!
Hi buddy. I didn't mention seat covers since I am not changing them. They are perfectly fine. And making leather seat covers on it means making holes in these gorgeous body hugging sporty seats. Which is not acceptable.

Also, I used Garware classic film on the 5 glasses and garware Cool vision on the windscreen. That's all I have done. Nothing else!
Old 1st September 2009, 22:58   #240
Senior - BHPian

I like updating my thread with pictures from time to time. I have noticed, that having pictures on a thread makes it much much more fun to read and to comprehend!

Here are some random angles (some undocumented ones too) taken on a rainy night.
Attached Thumbnails
frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020434-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020440-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020436-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020435-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020438-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020441-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020443-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020442-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020445-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020444-desktop-resolution.jpg