Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 12th October 2009, 18:41   #316
Senior - BHPian

Dont ask. My internal GPS just shuts down and all I think while driving is, HOW?????? How quick and smooth can it get?
I have lost my way, or taken wrong turns. Or missed turns at times. All because I am either listening to GOOD music or driving the Fiesta!
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 11:12   #317
Div

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
@Div
Finally, nice photographs!
Good Idol too (ganapathi bapa) - How much it costs?
Thanks
@nairrk

Thanks Nair. Got this Idol from Dmart @ Rs. 299!
Div is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 11:22   #318
Div

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Doesn't the idol shake/rock on bumps??
@ frankmehta

The Idol is not yet fixed by any glue. Considering the space constrain, I have used two layers of NoiseKill on the base of the Idol which is then cut to purfectly fit the shallow depth in the space on the hood.

Quote:
BRILLIANT! Congratulations man. What are the accessories you have planned?
@frankmehta

I upgraded from hatchback (GP, Vista, U-VA) to sedan (Logan, Indigo, Aveo) and than to Fiesta, with deep hole in pocket. Currently, only priority is:
1. Sun protection film (S32 shade[hope I spelled it right])
2. Seat covers (Biege or Dark Brown).

Any suggesstion's?

Last edited by Eddy : 24th October 2009 at 20:30. Reason: Please avoid posting multiple back to back posts. Use the edit option if posting within 20 min.Thanks
Div is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2009, 11:54   #319
Senior - BHPian

Nice.
One recommendation. Use the EDIT button if you are posting back-to-back within 20 minutes of posting each.

For the sun Protection film, I would recommend Garware. Very value for money. I have been given film by the people @ Shaman, and for the front windscreen, I got ECO-DRIVE fitted, since it's a 2-Ply film and of slightly better quality than Garware Cool Vision.

Seat Covers: Beige will go well with the interior but will be a pain to maintain. I suggest you go for art-leather of a slightly darker colour. Contrast will also look nice. You can also have the door pads draped in the same cloth. Will look awesome!
Old 17th October 2009, 12:06   #320
Senior - BHPian

@frankmehta
I have posted one photo(in my thread, last page) of alloy wheel which was quoted by ford dealer. The price of wheel is Rs. 16,500/-.
Can you just see and comment, how worth it is?
Thanks
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 20:25   #321
Senior - BHPian

I had a question, 2 actually:

1. I STILL don't know what parts of the suspension of the S are different from those of the Zxi/SXi/LE.
I would like to know what is different, and purchase the stock versions of the same which would be fitted for city driving. Then, before going for a long highway trip, I'd get the harder S components refitted. This, in my opinion is the only Achilles heel in the car. Quite a serious problem, having the car bounce and thud through Mumbai's roads (which, if I recall correctly, are in the WORST shape that I have ever seen) I have kept tyre pressure at a minimum (26 psi) and it's STILL thudding like crazy. The rattles have not gone up, but I predict a steady increase in the coming months. I am sick of the hard suspension. Somehow the test drive car seemed MUCH more softly sprung than my car. And I rue my decision to buy an S just for this reason.
Can someone give me a solution? Is my car abnormal? Or is it that the suspension on the S is actually hard??? And not meant for our roads??

2. The FE is still hovering around 8 in the city with the aircon on all the time, @ 2600 Km. Is it a reason to be alarmed? I also haven't changed the OIL @ 1000 km and I would like to know if that has to be done now, or will the FASS do it in the first service? If they don't, I'll just ask them to do it for a fee.

I am enjoying the car so much that I just don't like to complain. But these 2 things are kind of pricking me from day 1 and I wish to either resolve them(if there is a problem) or just keep quiet and suffer, if this is normal.

Last edited by frankmehta : 24th October 2009 at 20:26.
Old 24th October 2009, 20:37   #322
BHPian

@frankmehta,
"Is my car abnormal? Or is it that the suspension on the S is actually hard??? And not meant for our roads??"

My S takes potholes badly too, but am not alarmed as I expected this. Was just commenting on this to my wife today, and telling her that this is a 'Feature'!
Your FE definitely is on the lower side, do get this checked. I am getting 12, a highway + city figure, and will update the latest FE, city only, soon.

Last edited by Govinda-Govinda : 24th October 2009 at 20:52.
Govinda-Govinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 21:10   #323
BHPian

Quote:
I had a question, 2 actually:

1. I STILL don't know what parts of the suspension of the S are different from those of the Zxi/SXi/LE.
I would like to know what is different, and purchase the stock versions of the same which would be fitted for city driving. Then, before going for a long highway trip, I'd get the harder S components refitted. This, in my opinion is the only Achilles heel in the car. Quite a serious problem, having the car bounce and thud through Mumbai's roads (which, if I recall correctly, are in the WORST shape that I have ever seen) I have kept tyre pressure at a minimum (26 psi) and it's STILL thudding like crazy. The rattles have not gone up, but I predict a steady increase in the coming months. I am sick of the hard suspension. Somehow the test drive car seemed MUCH more softly sprung than my car. And I rue my decision to buy an S just for this reason.
Can someone give me a solution? Is my car abnormal? Or is it that the suspension on the S is actually hard??? And not meant for our roads??

2. The FE is still hovering around 8 in the city with the aircon on all the time, @ 2600 Km. Is it a reason to be alarmed? I also haven't changed the OIL @ 1000 km and I would like to know if that has to be done now, or will the FASS do it in the first service? If they don't, I'll just ask them to do it for a fee.

I am enjoying the car so much that I just don't like to complain. But these 2 things are kind of pricking me from day 1 and I wish to either resolve them(if there is a problem) or just keep quiet and suffer, if this is normal.
Frank, I won't be able to answer your question technically, but I'll put my experience in SXI.

I found suspensions are quite capable to deal Pune roads (some are good, some are bad, some are very bad). I keep tyre pressure 30 psi in all tyres and I don't feel bounciness, nor my family untill and unless it is really bad road, but I slow down on such roads.
Not a single rattle till date (touchwood). They don't change oil in first service but I'll insist to change it and if they ask I'll pay oil charges.
I think better consult with other S owners and take their inputs and if required do visit service centre and consult your service manager.

Cheers.
rajeshvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 22:43   #324
Senior - BHPian

Frank, Rajesh, after having read multiple Fiesta threads, I have nearly made up my mind to get one. The only thing still undecided is the SXi or S issue. Both cost the same. I love sporty drives, but I don't want it to be so sporty that it's bone jarring. Can you (or other Fiesta) owners let me know how much of the 'sportiness' one loses if one goes in for the SXi? My driving is nearly 100% within the city with an occasional long drive on the highway.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2009, 23:08   #325
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Frank, Rajesh, after having read multiple Fiesta threads, I have nearly made up my mind to get one. The only thing still undecided is the SXi or S issue. Both cost the same. I love sporty drives, but I don't want it to be so sporty that it's bone jarring. Can you (or other Fiesta) owners let me know how much of the 'sportiness' one loses if one goes in for the SXi? My driving is nearly 100% within the city with an occasional long drive on the highway.
Gilead, I can't comment on performance of petrol engine, as I'm driving diesel SXI.
As per my observations, I found SXI more as family car and S as individual Identity car, both have same 1.6 engine so performance of both cars must be same, SXI have soft suspension which I found good for city as well as highway driving, I can't comment on S, may be Frank, ABZ, Premjit can comment on this.
rajeshvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 01:10   #326
BHPian

Quote:
Initially I was also in this state so its normal to get confuse. This is because your heart says S but your brain says SXI

No doubt that I am totally fida on S model's exterior looks so to sort out this issue I focused on few prime important things -

- Most of the time you will be sitting inside the car and not starring it from outside.
- I needed car not only for weekend drives but also on daily basis which doesn't mean you can't use S on daily basis. You can use S for show off (who doesn't want to do it ) and it will defiantly impress chicks around you!
- SXI suspension is softer (big difference)
- I personally like beige interiors.
- If you still can't pull yourself away from S but you also don't want to miss SXI so what you can do is buy SXI along with sports kit (costing around 25 - 26K) + Nice alloys.
- I felt S have more plastic part on door in comparison to other model. May be I am wrong as I looked at it only during TD.

Most of them didn't liked chrome given on front grill & OVRM so here you can get rid of front grill chrome but not ORVM (Dealer will not buy this chrome from you but he sell it to anyone who wish to buy it so its your loss)

Its like thing if liked it & wish to listen to your heart then S else by you know the answer
kumar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 09:16   #327
BHPian

SXI or S is a dilemma which I was also having. But at that time it wasn't the sxi premium and hence sxi was without alloy wheels. Like everyone says I also felt that sxi has better interiors while S looks good from outside. And then, sxi had some nice to have features like foldable rear seat, arm rest with cup holder in rear seat, better suspension etc. Also, I felt that the car should be comfortable/pleasant not just for the driver but also for the other passengers in which the sxi wins over S. And 80% of my driving would be within the city. So I made up my mind that I should go for the sxi and then top it up with a spoiler and alloys.

Then it was as if Ford came up with sxi premium just for my sake The car had sxi interiors with alloys. And the price was only Rs. 5000 more. So I decided to go for the sxi premium and then added a rear spoiler.
JackTheCrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 10:24   #328
Senior - BHPian

@frankmehta
Your FE 8kmpl seems bit low, may be in next service they can do something on this?
Thanks
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 10:59   #329
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
thanks for the points JRD. But I practise almost the same rituals in all cars, but this one is really thirsty!

I have been pushing the car quite a bit of late. Revved her to 5000 with the AC on, and touched about 90 in second gear on a couple of occasions. The rasp from the exhaust and the turbine smooth journey to the higher revs makes me want more!
What an adrenalin rush! She just flies. And keeps to her daily job of playing temptress. Cargasms over cargasms, she just keeps satisfying me daily!
Hi One of the reason for low fe could be the lower airpressure in the tires. Since your tires are low profile bad roads play hell with the ride so we reduce the pressure to soften up the ride. Have done the same thing in my ANHC which is shod with 195/60 R 15 LC and have reduced the pressure from 32/30 to 30/28 in the city. The car has run about 4.5 k and am getting a consistent avg of around 12.5 in the city with a/c on 100%.
amidoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2009, 13:09   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govinda-Govinda View Post
@frankmehta,
"Is my car abnormal? Or is it that the suspension on the S is actually hard??? And not meant for our roads??"

My S takes potholes badly too, but am not alarmed as I expected this. Was just commenting on this to my wife today, and telling her that this is a 'Feature'!
Your FE definitely is on the lower side, do get this checked. I am getting 12, a highway + city figure, and will update the latest FE, city only, soon.
I am relieved to know that everyone has a slight issue with the way the S takes potholes.
Especially when Mumbai roads are at their worst, and the steering is at half or full lock, the thud coming from the steering column just makes one cry!
About the FE, I am working it out. I don't think I have a poor driving style, and there doesn't seem anything wrong with the engine. Dad drives sedately, but it could also mean he changes up the gears too early and could be lugging the car hence causing a loss of FE. He was complaining about the car jerking slightly at times. He's new to drive by wire throttle. Might be one of the reasons for a drop!
I have tanked up at a different pump this time, and am using System-G after a long while. Let's see how she behaves this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshvin View Post
Frank, I won't be able to answer your question technically, but I'll put my experience in SXI.

I found suspensions are quite capable to deal Pune roads (some are good, some are bad, some are very bad). I keep tyre pressure 30 psi in all tyres and I don't feel bounciness, nor my family untill and unless it is really bad road, but I slow down on such roads.
Not a single rattle till date (touchwood). They don't change oil in first service but I'll insist to change it and if they ask I'll pay oil charges.
I think better consult with other S owners and take their inputs and if required do visit service centre and consult your service manager.

Cheers.
See, I have upgraded my tyres by a width of 10 mm. This DOES mean that I have to drop a couple of PSI from the recommended. I drive alone, so 27-28 psi should be fine. 26 is perfectly ok, for the car as well as the tyres, methinks. The ride is acceptable with 26. 28 makes the car bounce and the steering goes slightly light. I don't like that!

Quote:
I have answered you via pm. Just check it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumar7 View Post
Initially I was also in this state so its normal to get confuse. This is because your heart says S but your brain says SXI

No doubt that I am totally fida on S model's exterior looks so to sort out this issue I focused on few prime important things -

- Most of the time you will be sitting inside the car and not starring it from outside.
- I needed car not only for weekend drives but also on daily basis which doesn't mean you can't use S on daily basis. You can use S for show off (who doesn't want to do it ) and it will defiantly impress chicks around you!
- SXI suspension is softer (big difference)
- I personally like beige interiors.
- If you still can't pull yourself away from S but you also don't want to miss SXI so what you can do is buy SXI along with sports kit (costing around 25 - 26K) + Nice alloys.
- I felt S have more plastic part on door in comparison to other model. May be I am wrong as I looked at it only during TD.

Most of them didn't liked chrome given on front grill & OVRM so here you can get rid of front grill chrome but not ORVM (Dealer will not buy this chrome from you but he sell it to anyone who wish to buy it so its your loss)

Its like thing if liked it & wish to listen to your heart then S else by you know the answer

As for me, the S was not bought for show off. Most of the times, I am the only one driving it, and I do tend to rip the car all the time. The way the S responds to my steering and throttle inputs is quite different from the way the SXi or the Zxi or the LE might. The handling through corners has been bolstered so much that I have started taking corners for granted. I do insane speeds and still the car sticks to the road like a leech!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheCrack View Post
SXI or S is a dilemma which I was also having. But at that time it wasn't the sxi premium and hence sxi was without alloy wheels. Like everyone says I also felt that sxi has better interiors while S looks good from outside. And then, sxi had some nice to have features like foldable rear seat, arm rest with cup holder in rear seat, better suspension etc. Also, I felt that the car should be comfortable/pleasant not just for the driver but also for the other passengers in which the sxi wins over S. And 80% of my driving would be within the city. So I made up my mind that I should go for the sxi and then top it up with a spoiler and alloys.

Then it was as if Ford came up with sxi premium just for my sake The car had sxi interiors with alloys. And the price was only Rs. 5000 more. So I decided to go for the sxi premium and then added a rear spoiler.
SXi premium is the most VFM choice in any car below 10 lacs right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
@frankmehta
Your FE 8kmpl seems bit low, may be in next service they can do something on this?
Thanks
I rip the car. Rev her to 5k at times (3.5 k normally).
Drive in start stop traffic. Rev the car for short distances. Brake hard. Drive over potholes and slow down for them.
Most of my life involves speeding for 100 meters and then braking soon to avoid signals/potholes/autorickshaws/taxis. I don't like taking this car out in Mumbai. Outside Mumbai, AAAH, I could get married to her and live happily ever after!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amidoc View Post
Hi One of the reason for low fe could be the lower airpressure in the tires. Since your tires are low profile bad roads play hell with the ride so we reduce the pressure to soften up the ride. Have done the same thing in my ANHC which is shod with 195/60 R 15 LC and have reduced the pressure from 32/30 to 30/28 in the city. The car has run about 4.5 k and am getting a consistent avg of around 12.5 in the city with a/c on 100%.
Yeah, that seems a good explanation. I had a bout of 9 kmpl with the pressure @ 30 psi in the first week! Then better sense prevailed and dropped it to 28. Now 26.