Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th October 2009, 14:17   #331
Senior - BHPian

Couple of questions:
1. What are the recommended intervals to WAX/POLISH the car?
My car stands in the sun for most of the time, and is only wet-washed daily with water (by the cleaning fellow in the morning)
I don't apply wax personally, and will not be doing it myself. What I can do, is to buy a good waxing agent and get a professional fellow ( i know one) to come and just do it at the recommended intervals. Please recommend a good waxing agent too!

2. Still not gotten satisfactory answers about the impending oil change. Should I do it now, or should I wait for the first service (which is about 15 days away from today)

EDIT: JUST do a search for the term, CARGASM on the forum and you get so many results. WOOT! I coined a term!!!!!

Last edited by frankmehta : 28th October 2009 at 14:22.
frankmehta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 14:23   #332
Senior - BHPian

For my old car (Hyundai Accent Black) which was also used to park in the open,
I used to polish (those guys regularly come to our place as there was about
40 cars were there in our apartment and the polishwalah used to get good job evertime they come for a visit) once in every 3 to 4 months. When I sold the car after 3.5 years, the car did look very shiny.
Thanks
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 15:09   #333
Senior - BHPian

Ok. But what waxing agent should one use? I think it makes sense picking up one box of the same and making sure the person uses that, rather than the (possibly) substandard product he might use.
Old 28th October 2009, 16:35   #334
Senior - BHPian

Just noticed on other threads. The time I took delivery of my S, the only car that had single chrome inserts on the steering wheel was the S. From what I see on other threads, Ford has now made single chrome inserts de rigeur on all Fiestas. Talk about cost cutting!

PS: From other discussions, I noticed that someone said that the triple chrome was removed to accommodate the airbags. That is not true. I have seen ZXis and SXis with chrome inserts on the steering wheel in the showrooms before test driving the S.
Old 28th October 2009, 16:46   #335
Senior - BHPian

@frankmehta
The guy's bring the material (wax and cotton) and they used to charge Rs.200/- per car (in 2004). The method was that, the guy come to the compound, first meet the drivers of the cars ( I too had a driver that time) and the driver come to us and take permission. Once the polishing is finished, I used to go down, see the car and pay the money. Anyway Rs.200 was cheap (as shops used to charge Rs.750/-), becuase he is getting more cars in one place this reduction in rate (he normally used to polish around 5 cars a day. Anyway this was old story !
Thanks/
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 19:39   #336
Senior - BHPian

Just fueled up today.
Litres of Petrol Consumed: 38.7
Distance travelled: 296 km

Damn. That's even LESS than 8. And this time, 160 km was done at an average speed of 70 kmph on the highway

:-(
Old 28th October 2009, 19:44   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Just fueled up today.
Litres of Petrol Consumed: 38.7
Distance travelled: 296 km

Damn. That's even LESS than 8. And this time, 160 km was done at an average speed of 70 kmph on the highway

:-(
@Frank

I guess, you need to get this checked by the Ford guys. I am getting an average 13-14 on the highway at normal cruise speeds between 120-140KMPH.

But something less than 8 KMPL should be checked!

Have you completed the 1st service?
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 19:46   #338
Senior - BHPian

Nope. 2600 km and less than 3 months. First service due in 15 days.,
Can you tell me what they do in the first service? I was told they just wash the car and give it back.
I have a lot of issues I want to resolve. But I don't know if they will do it in the first service. Will they??
Old 28th October 2009, 19:53   #339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you tell me what they do in the first service? I was told they just wash the car and give it back.
I have a lot of issues I want to resolve. But I don't know if they will do it in the first service. Will they??
I am sure they will if you categorically mention them and make sure you put them on the job card.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 21:07   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To an extent its true that they dont do much to your car. I was also told they run a checklist and also attend to any complaints that the owner might have during the first honeymoon period with the new car!

As suggested by Sammyboy, make sure the service advisor gets this FE issue written on the job card!
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2009, 21:12   #341
Senior - BHPian

Have fired an email to Ford customer service so they wake up and address my car properly in it's first service. Here goes.

Quote:
Dear Sir/Madam,

I have purchased my Diamond white Ford Fiesta 1.6S from Shaman Ford, Mumbai on the 14th of August, 2009.
It has been barely 3 months since I have owned the car, and let me tell you, it is a beautiful car. With a very powerful and responsive engine. The dynamics of the car are still to be matched by cars within (and a segment) above it's budget range. I have enjoyed driving the car around and would give it FULL marks when it comes to driver's pleasure.

But, with all things good, there are a few things that have been troubling me and have not been addressed by my dealer (Shaman Ford) which has been shut down and is no longer affiliated with Ford anymore.

Let me first let you know that the car is a March, 2009 specimen that was standing in the stockyard of Shaman Service Centre for the better part of 5 months. The car was delivered to me without a thorough checkup NOR a clean up on the insides nor the engine bay. This laid back attitude from the showroom was for the reason that the showroom had already wrapped up and this was one of the LAST few cars they had in stock. (the last S)

The car had to be wheeled in to Shaman Ford (service workshop) the very next day, as, after removing the tyres, we saw a lot of rust in places. Kindly note the same in the pictures. The brake pads had become hard, and the same have left marks on the front disks. The marks are still present on the front disks and this scares me about the longevity of the same. The car would also drift to the right on braking, and the steering wheel would not hold it's line in a straight direction.

Thus, I decided to get wheel balancing and alignment done just 2 days after taking delivery of the car.

There are other issues in the car that are alarming me to no end, and Shaman Ford service workshop could not rectify these even after taking the car there 2-3 times. I have spent a large part of my savings on this car, and have graduated from a Maruti Esteem. SUCH a horrible experience has been unheard of, and I never expected that a BRAND NEW car would have to be wheeled into the workshop 3 times in the first month of ownership.

The following niggles have been noticed in the car, and every time I take the car to Shaman, they say everything is fine, which I know is not.
1. Squeak from driver's seat from day 1. They could not even zero down to where the noise was coming from, despite keeping the car for 4 hours and making me wait in the lounge. I came out from the lounge and showed them where the noise was coming from, and then they said it was lunch time and said they would address it the next time I came.

2. Rusted lower arm, hard brake pads and scratches on front discs from day 1. Refer attached photos for the same.

3. Fogging in BOTH headlights from day 1. Refer attached photos for the same. Not addressed by workshop as they said, 'they needed photos to prove the same point to them;' They did not believe me???

4. Very, very HARD (almost unacceptable) ride from DAY 1 with thudding noise from suspension (worse than test drive car). The smallest of bumps are amplified into the cabin. Mind you, I have lowered the tyre pressures by 3 psi from the recommended, still the ride is very poor.

5. The steering column (from half lock till full lock) makes a highly audible rattling sound from day 1 when it hits a bump.

6. There are 2-3 rattles from the dashboard and rear left door WHICH SHAMAN COULDN'T ADDRESS IN THE LAST 2 VISITS AND HAVE APPENDED IT TO THE 1ST SERVICE!

7. Most troubling part is that the Fuel Efficiency is LESS THAN 8 KMPL! This is alarming and not expected in a car that advertises 12 kmpl as the average in city driving.

I have sent you this email as I want my car to get special attention from an engineer/supervisor OF THE HIGHEST POSSIBLE RANK, available at the time it goes for its first service. If need be, serious action must be taken in this regard and I would like you to correspond with me thoroughly on this regard.

My biggest concern is that THERE ARE ONLY 2 SERVICE WORKSHOPS LEFT IN MUMBAI, now that Shaman is shutting down even it's workshop. It is a huge hassle to drive 40 km one way from my house to the workshop, for the service of my car.

From the first 3 months of ownership with this car, I have faced a lot of niggles, which are not being addressed according to my satisfaction. I would want to change my impression of Ford and it's authorized service centers. This can only be done if my issues with the car receive good response and a firm resolution from your side.

Your's Sincerely,
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Attached Thumbnails
frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020625-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020626-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020627-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020628-desktop-resolution.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020192-hdtv-1080.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020193-hdtv-1080.jpg  

frankmehta gets a CARGASM: Ford Fiesta S Diamond White EDIT - REVIEW on pg10-p1020194-hdtv-1080.jpg  

Old 29th October 2009, 01:43   #342
ABZ
BHPian

Guys - I completed 2400 kms today.

My experience with the S so far.

1. Ride Quality - Admittedly, it is on the stiffer side as compared to the SXI/ZXI but I did test drive the SXI and the S. Somehow I felt that the feedback received when driving the S was better and hence the drive was more satisfying.

2. Fuel Economy - the following is an excerpt from my Initial Ownership Report. While the mileage on the highways has been satisfactory, I felt that the in-city mileage is of some concern although have not really calculated the same with 100% in-city drives.

First calculation said the mileage was 10.5 with around 210km in-city and 230 kms highway.
Next time the mileage calculated was 12.96 with around 70 kms in-city and 230 kms highway.
The next calculation was a baffling 14, this time it was almost 200 kms highway and 40 kms of in-city driving. Admittedly, the city this time was Nasik so it was a lot less crowded also the highway trip was an overnight (almost zero-traffic) trip to Shirdi and back (from Nasik).

@Frank - 8 kmpl however seems lower than what you should expect even with the wider tyres.

I'm thinking the first service might just be around the corner for me as well. Can I take an oil change as a recommendation?
ABZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 05:53   #343
Senior - BHPian

@frank:
I personally think you should get the oil changed in the first service.
Most of the problems you have listed have occured due to the car lying out in the sun for a long period of time. We had issues with our Lancer as she too was lying in the stockyard for a while.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 08:50   #344
Senior - BHPian

So will they cure the car totally or not? I'm a little worried now :-(
They're very small issues, most of which have been sorted. But you know how it feels to have them with a spanking new car right?
Old 29th October 2009, 09:18   #345
BHPian

frank,

Ideally we shouldn't mention anything that compromises our warranty to the Company, but given that you are seeking their help with FE, wouldn't it be good for them to know all the facts (viz about tyre upsizing)?
Govinda-Govinda is offline   Reply With Quote