Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 19th February 2010, 17:57   #451
BHPian

Have not felt any tak-tak sound whatsoever, even on potholed/gravel/stone-filled long stetches in Orissa (with music off to sense if I am scratching the bottom) and neither on any road-bumpers.

After I returned from the KOL trip, done some 200Kms - all within city with 100%AC. 6-days a week a short drive of 4kms to drop my kids at school. Additionally, some 10-15kms every 2-3 days to my office, mostly at peak hours. Never gone to 4th gear in these 200 Kms. Yet the tank is to be emptied, but based on the needle fuel indicator & DTE, my gutfeel is I am getting around 9 - filled 40 litres during last tank fill, DTE shows 250+ and tripmeter shows 197, which is like 447/45<=10 kmpl. I am running 32 on all tyres.

I am facing one issue though with the steering lock. After removing the key, and rotating the steering by a certain amt, it gets locked and cannot be moved either way. Next time when I put the key, I have to really push hard for the key to go inside and quite a bit effort is required post that to turn the key...is this normal? If the steering is left without the lock position, no issues however.
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 19:09   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Have not felt any tak-tak sound whatsoever, even on potholed/gravel/stone-filled long stetches in Orissa (with music off to sense if I am scratching the bottom) and neither on any road-bumpers.
The sound is specific to the 1.6S then I guess.

Quote:
I am facing one issue though with the steering lock. After removing the key, and rotating the steering by a certain amt, it gets locked and cannot be moved either way. Next time when I put the key, I have to really push hard for the key to go inside and quite a bit effort is required post that to turn the key...is this normal? If the steering is left without the lock position, no issues however.
The steering WILL lock if you turn it after removing the key. It's a safety feature. But inserting the key into a locked steering column should not be difficult. After inserting, you have to jig the wheel a little to unlock the steering and turn the key. No major effort required.

Last edited by Gilead : 19th February 2010 at 19:11.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 23:28   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Guys, is this sound present only on the S steering rack or the regular one as well?
My Dec '09 ZXI 1.6 model certainly does have this sound. And i did cross check with a TD vehicle (1.6 ZXI) too which had the same sound. Although its not a big bother as it comes only while turning on bad roads but still its an issue for sure.

In regards to the FE, i have only driven 1600KMs until now with 80% city and 20% highway. I have got 12.2Km/ltr overall .
rouheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 00:39   #454
BHPian

Have a 2006 1.6sxi and the sound is also present in my car,but only during steering inputs on bad roads.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 06:54   #455
BHPian

Quote:
jig the wheel a little to unlock the steering and turn the key. No major effort required.
Thanks for the tip..it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead
The sound is specific to the 1.6S then I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rouheet
My Dec '09 ZXI 1.6 model certainly does have this sound. And i did cross check with a TD vehicle (1.6 ZXI) too which had the same sound. Although its not a big bother as it comes only while turning on bad roads but still its an issue for sure.

In regards to the FE, i have only driven 1600KMs until now with 80% city and 20% highway. I have got 12.2Km/ltr overall .
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi1771
Have a 2006 1.6sxi and the sound is also present in my car,but only during steering inputs on bad roads.
Seems like the disease is widespread

- Does the sound comes on bad roads while turning the steering or even when keeping straight?
- Is the sound more like a feel or can it be heard?
- Is it loud enough to be heard by co-passengers or only the driver can feel it?

How do I investigate further about this on my car?
Old 20th February 2010, 14:57   #456
BHPian

Sanjay nothing to worry about had spoken to a service adviser about it when my car was new and he had said it is normal I think a design flaw,and sound is more like a thud and you can feel the vibrations travel from the steering column to the steering wheel.This usually happens while turning the steering and that too when the car is moving at a decent speed.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 01:27   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the tip..it works.

- Does the sound comes on bad roads while turning the steering or even when keeping straight?
- Is it loud enough to be heard by co-passengers or only the driver can feel it?

How do I investigate further about this on my car?
- Sound comes mostly on bad roads but sometimes comes on rather ok roads too when you make a sharp U turn.

- It can be heard easily in my car. Steering works fine even while making this noise but it is annoying if you are someone who likes everything 100% ok.

- It is not that loud but certainly is enough to be heard by co-passengers.

I had noticed this noise shortly after i took the delivery and had gone to the showroom to speak them about it. But although they did not acknowledge it as a problem they still agreed to look into it at the time of first service. Just to reassure myself i took a TD vehicle for a spin and it sounded just like my car.
rouheet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 02:26   #458
BHPian

Thank you for the replies guys.

@Frank - this must really suck. The steering is one of the finest parts of the beast. I'm sure they will be able to come up with an alternative.
mohitd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 10:04   #459
BHPian

They haven't come up with an alternative in 4-5 yrs the car has been in the market. They blame the sterring manufacturer for this sound and insist its not a design fault.

There seems to be no push from ford to check for a solution.
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 14:16   #460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

If the sound is not present in your car, then great for you. The sound, when it manifests itself, can definitely be heard in the front seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish3 View Post
There seems to be no push from ford to check for a solution.
Looks like their 'solution' is to install a lifeless steering column. Thanks but no thanks.
Old 22nd February 2010, 17:26   #461
BHPian

Quote:
If the sound is not present in your car, then great for you. The sound, when it manifests itself, can definitely be heard in the front seat.
But does that mean I am stuck with one of these "lifeless steering" I won't know since I have neither taken a TD of Fiesta, nor driven any other Fiesta. Seems like I need to take a post-purchase TD

Good were those days, when one was happy with what one got. Blame it on TBHP!
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:25   #462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But does that mean I am stuck with one of these "lifeless steering" I won't know since I have neither taken a TD of Fiesta, nor driven any other Fiesta. Seems like I need to take a post-purchase TD

Good were those days, when one was happy with what one got. Blame it on TBHP!
You took a drive to Calcutta. Do you think the steering was lifeless? Have you driven Hyundais? They have a lifeless steering.

If you want confirmation, come over on some weekend and drive mine and see.
Old 22nd February 2010, 20:57   #463
BANNED

Frank: Good & Bad News for you
Good: Production of the S has stopped. Your car will be exclusive.
Bad: The Blue ones are sold out. Whites are still available.

Just went for a TD today. The salesman denied any knowledge of production stopping but confirmed that the Blue has been discontinued. After that walked in to TD the ANHC nextdoor (same dealer) and that salesman gave me the news about the Fiesta S. He also told me that recently a customer was given a discount of 60K on the S.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:41   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Frank: Good & Bad News for you
Good: Production of the S has stopped. Your car will be exclusive.
Bad: The Blue ones are sold out. Whites are still available.

Just went for a TD today. The salesman denied any knowledge of production stopping but confirmed that the Blue has been discontinued. After that walked in to TD the ANHC nextdoor (same dealer) and that salesman gave me the news about the Fiesta S. He also told me that recently a customer was given a discount of 60K on the S.
S production has not been stopped. Only the Blue color has been discontinued. The 60K discount was applicable to select corporates in Dec on the S and other variants as well. That offer has since been withdrawn.
Old 22nd February 2010, 21:48   #465
BANNED

Quote:
S production has not been stopped. Only the Blue color has been discontinued. The 60K discount was applicable to select corporates in Dec on the S and other variants as well. That offer has since been withdrawn.
The Blue was a nice colour. They should restart it.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote