Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 17th November 2010, 20:30   #511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Thanks a ton, PR! The Keychain was brought to India from USA by a dealer (KMD). He doesn't work anymore. So fat chance, getting it from there now.
I have lost mine for the second time, so I am stuck with a stock FORD key ring for the time!
How do you manage to lose the keychain but not the car keys;-} Or those are being lost as well?
sanjayc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2010, 21:04   #512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Frank go to City motors in Opera house and buy Mobil1 synthetic for your car. They have the best prices. Also why not give your car the OWS treatment
Products

For your air intake you should get a system designed for your car like
57-0686 - K&N 57i Series Kits, Performance Intake Kit
or
Cosworth -
Which oil? OWS or Mobil 1? Or anything else?
And does a CAI make a difference in a car like mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
How do you manage to lose the keychain but not the car keys;-} Or those are being lost as well?
Well, earlier the guys at Ford lost just they key ring when it went for service, and then a valet lost the key ring again, saying it broke while starting the car, and then got lost.
Fishy. For something this well built.

Anyway, here's the thing. I shall start with oil and get the air filter changed.

Which oil and which air filter?
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 08:29   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Ok, coming to the real stuff.

I have planned the following upgrades:
1. Fully Synthetic Oil
2. Performance Air filter
3. Cold Air Intake
4. Performance Brake Pads (if the next service doesn't resolve the issue of adequate bite) Mind you, she brakes very well, but the initial bite not being there might mar confidence at times.
5. OF course, a High end carputer with a lot of gizmos including some amount of technical OBD statistics etc.

Please give me suggestions guys. Don't want to skimp on anything, so if everything doesn't fit into the budget, will do things one at a time.
Fire away, it's THAT time of the year again ;-)
Frank, I heard from a Team-Bhp member, Gilead, that Ford has sent a circular not to use fully Synthetic oils.

When coming to full Cold air intake, please, I too want to go for one please let me know where and how you do it. When I asked, everybody said it is good to go for a K&N stock replacement and not a full CAI.

Please check and let me also know if the above two are correct.
Pr_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 13:36   #514
Senior - BHPian

Hey Frank, your carputer is long over due. Hope to see it fired up soon.

Reg Cold air intake, the one with bigger custom intake pipe should make a difference in the torque. The in gear acceleration will get slight better. But agains it all depends on what size filter you are choosing. Incase one chooses of bigger filter than the required size you will see better mid range and top end. With optimum size you should be able to get better result through out the rev range. With CAI and open filter surely the acceleration will be tad better than the stock replacement filter. However it would get bit more noisier in other words it would add a big snarl to the engine.

Adding real benefit to the CAI will be complete new exhaust system. A engine that breaths easy should also exhale easy.

Last edited by Invinsible : 18th November 2010 at 13:39.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 14:23   #515
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Which oil? OWS or Mobil 1? Or anything else?
And does a CAI make a difference in a car like mine?
Mobil1 is the cheapest, and im using it on my Accord too. I dont know if OWS will be worth the extra for a normal application. But do get the OWS vitamins, they will give your engine a nice clean up.

The CAI will make a difference, but of course one which is designed specifically for your engine or car will be much better.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 17:26   #516
Senior - BHPian

Mobil 1: What is the cost for 4 litres??
And one more question: Which AIR FILTER/CAI kit is MADE for my Duratec Engine? I am confused. Ford has made so many 1.6l engines and they don't use the word ;duratec; very often outside of India. Can someone let me know which filter to go for? I can order online too, if I get a good price.
Old 18th November 2010, 18:24   #517
Senior - BHPian

@Frank, been a long time mate!

The Mobil1 fully synthetic grade 5W-50 is available at Ford for the Fiesta. It costs 3600/- here in Chennai for 4 Litres.

I have recently added fully synthetic Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 in my car. The benefits are to be experienced and believed. The engine has become more eager now and more smoother. Regular use of synthetic will only make it more smoother.

@Pr_007, some SA has given the usual dealer's load of BS stuff. All these circular talks regarding use of synthetic oil is simply cooked up! Why would they sell fully synthetic Mobil1 at the dealership then?
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 18:27   #518
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Ana. By the way, my dealership told me that Mobil 1 (or any other synthetic oil) is ONLY recommended for the Ford Ikon by Ford, which is why they stock it.
Using synth oil in the Fiesta is not recommended by them.
What could be the issue? Is it too much damage in the long run? We need to weigh this!
Old 18th November 2010, 19:33   #519
Senior - BHPian

I had called up the dealer to enquire the same and he confirmed that the synthetic oil is there for the Fiesta as well.

However, I will check with Ford RSM regarding the same and confirm tomorrrow!
anachronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2010, 19:52   #520
Senior - BHPian

Im meeting my RSM tomorrow. Will talk more on this when I get information.
Old 18th November 2010, 20:28   #521
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mobil 1: What is the cost for 4 litres??
And one more question: Which AIR FILTER/CAI kit is MADE for my Duratec Engine? I am confused. Ford has made so many 1.6l engines and they don't use the word ;duratec; very often outside of India. Can someone let me know which filter to go for? I can order online too, if I get a good price.
It should cost about 650-700 per litre. Unless the prices have gone up.

I think the K&N would be a good option since it is made for the 100ps 1.6 engine.

Quote:
Thanks Ana. By the way, my dealership told me that Mobil 1 (or any other synthetic oil) is ONLY recommended for the Ford Ikon by Ford, which is why they stock it.
What could be the issue? Is it too much damage in the long run? We need to weigh this!
Just check your manual and see what oil rating should be used. I think Mobil-1 synthetic adheres to API-SM which is one of the higher ratings, so it should be fine.
Old 18th November 2010, 21:39   #522
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Frankie, check jerrish's thread. Get the header/FFE he has. Just brillant ! Or the rotors! or the suspension!

And IRC, he uses synthetic oil.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2010, 02:37   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
It should cost about 650-700 per litre. Unless the prices have gone up.

I think the K&N would be a good option since it is made for the 100ps 1.6 engine.

Just check your manual and see what oil rating should be used. I think Mobil-1 synthetic adheres to API-SM which is one of the higher ratings, so it should be fine.
I think Shell Helix Ultra or Mobil 1, either will do it good. HOw many litres do I need?

Do I need to keep an extra amount of oil as standby/extra storage?

I have just gone ahead and ordered a K&N Induction Kit as mentioned by you earlier.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Here's the link for people who want to order the same part no. for their Fiesta Petrols.
57-0468 - K&N 57i Series Kits, Performance Intake Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Frankie, check jerrish's thread. Get the header/FFE he has. Just brillant ! Or the rotors! or the suspension!

And IRC, he uses synthetic oil.
I called up Jerrish in the afternoon
I don't want the header/endcan combination as this is a family driver and I don't intend to have a loud engine note the way I did with my Esteem.

Suspension upgrade/Port Polish will not be coming any time soon.

SO,
My Fiesta S will be getting the following for her 1st Birthday this year!

1. K&N 57i Induction Kit with Performance Filter (Built FOR the Fiesta, hence a tangible difference should be felt)
2. Mobil 1/OWS/Shell Helix Ultra after a full drainage job.

A small paint kob to touch up the harshness of the stupid Mumbai traffic and 'elements' on the car will be done.

A replacement mirror will be obtained to replace the missing rear view mirror.

Let's hope everything goes as planned.

Meeting the RSM tomorrow to sort out the steering rack noise which has resurfaced again.
Old 19th November 2010, 03:02   #524
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have just gone ahead and ordered a K&N Induction Kit as mentioned by you earlier.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Here's the link for people who want to order the same part no. for their Fiesta Petrols.
57-0468 - K&N 57i Series Kits, Performance Intake Kit
Do check the installation instructions on that page and double check that the engine bay does look like yours. Just to be 100% sure.

Good going
Old 19th November 2010, 03:07   #525
Senior - BHPian

Yes, was doing that before placing the order. Looks the SAME. Confirmed it from other sources too.