Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 11th August 2009, 14:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Despite its boxy look, I find the WagonR better to look at, both outside and inside. I hate the dash of the Estillo and the A-Star---the only good dash in recent times from Maruti is in the Ritz.
My personal view: the older Wagon R had come to look decent after seeing it so many times. I cannot say the same about the new Wagon R even after seeing it for 3 years now. Similarly with Zen Estilo. I did own a Zen from 1999-2004.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2009, 14:33   #32

I vividly recollect people earlier used to say that the wagon R was a dangerous car and it could turn turtle on the expressway or in a fast corner and hence a disaster. people suggested the alto or old zen or matiz or even the santro, but not wagon R. what happened then, 5 yrs down. did maruti tie up with mclaren to improve handling.. no .. people accepted the car for what it is capable of and not what it was supposed to do according to them.
Almost every urban house hold in India has a wagon R, and ive also driven the wagon R on the expressway, sure its no race car, yet Ive never heard of or seen any wagon R go belly up. it did best what it could, ie, take 4people in comfort from point A to point B with aeroplane reliability, and never made an attempt at what it could not. nobody expects the wagon R to do 140K everytime you hit the road.
Same is the case with desire, people hated the after thought attached boot and the whole design dint blend. The car dint change, but people changed and accepted for what it did best not just because the positives out ran the negatives. but someone gave it a chance and sought a testdrive and came back surprised noting the positives.
sir most of the qualities that the estilo has is shared between other marutis as well. the mechanicals and platform is same. Im not sayying that the estilo is the best bet but it a brave effort and combine with the price cut may be the best car within budget money can buy for you in case you settle for maruti only.
Incidently elsewhere Ive posted a detailed reveiw between swift vs ritz vs vista; diesels; and also ritz vs i10 vs vista vs swift; petrols. it explains everything; what i mean is for someone considering a wagon R or alto, estilo is an attractive option, not maybe some other car. we booked the ritz vxi as a better package, but thats not in the same segment.
s_pphilip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2009, 05:44   #33

About a year back, when I was doing the TD of Estilo with my friend; I was told that Estilo mileage was around 12KMPL in city conditions with A/C. Now in the ads Maruti says its around 17KMPL, of course under test conditions; I don't remember seeing such ads a year back (sorry if I missed any). Did Maruti do any tweaking to the Estilo now?
MagCar is offline   Reply With Quote