| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|1st October 2009, 19:52||#64|
Join Date: Jun 2009
Thanked: 0 Times
Nope, the pleasure is mine!
Congratulations and happy motoring/boating in Bengaluru!
|9th October 2009, 10:58||#65|
4000 kms update
It has been 2 months since I took delivery of the GP and it has just crossed the 4000 kms mark.
Following are the points that I would like to mention.
The performance on the GP reminds me of my Palio 1.2; this is before the turbo kicks in.
Once the turbo kicks in it just gobbles up the road like how Kumbakaran would have eaten his food.
My take on this is simple. If you prefer relaxed driving and do not like to rev it too hard, you can live with the way it is. However if you want to experience some spirited driving a tuning box is the answer. I have spoken to Race Dynamics and have been told that a tuning box is available for the GP.
Now, my question to the experts is when is it feasible to get the tuning box? Should I have to complete a few thousand kms or can it be done anytime?
I noticed that the NVH was very high during the run-in and now it seems to have mellowed down a lot more. So no issues on this front.
Another point that I noticed after the run-in, the engine is a lot smoother and free-revving
Ride & Handling -
The ride is just awesome. No second thoughts about it. On the highways the car has amazing manners. It hugs the road and begs you to push it to the limits. I did manage to take a long C curve at 90+ kmph and it just did not shift from its lane. So no issues on this front. In the initial days, on one of my highway runs I thought the car felt it was doing 80kmph but only when I saw the speedo did I figure it was beyond 100kmph. Also the steering is very accurate and gives you a lot of confidence.
I think this is the best handling diesel hatch. (Undoubtedly, the palio 1.6 takes the credit for the best handling petrol hatch)
The first and the foremost is BnM. I just love it, though I haven’t yet fully tested its capabilities. It’s quite a boon when you are on the run, avoids a lot of fiddling with the phone.
The instrument cluster is very well laid out with loads of information. I was out for lunch with one of my colleagues who has an Innova. He saw the instrument cluster just when I was about to start the car and he was like “Make you feel like you are in a cockpit with so many dials and displays”.
Safety wise, the seatbelt buzzer is a nice feature and I feel this should be offered in all the cars and should not be able to over-ridden. We would then see a lot of drivers driving with the seatbelt.
Other options that you can get in the Menu option such as Passenger Airbag- ON/OFF, Speed Limiter etc are all nice features to have.
Like it / Don’t like it
Like it -
- Looks - People overtake me to have a glimpse of the car.
- Space - people say that the rear seat is bad but they are wrong, it’s just apt. I mean it cannot be compared to sedans, but it’s not claustrophobic either.
- Clutch - the clutch is a lot better in comparison to the palio. My wife drove the GP the day we bought it and her first compliment was ‘the clutch is better than the palio’
Don’t like it
- OEM music system - I am looking at options to change at least the speakers to improve the quality of the audio.
- Foot well - I liked the foot well of the palio, but this needs a little getting used to.
- Poor build quality - the build quality of the GP cannot be compared to the earlier palios. I am not taking just about plastics but the overall build quality. I think with the use of cheaper materials the car might not age like just as the earlier Fiats and we might expect niggling issues in the longer run.
- No-outright performance - A tuning box is the answer to this problem.
- Turning Radius - I feel the turning radius is better than the Palio, but it could have been better.
- Headlight - I need to change these at the earliest as they are not all that bright.
Fuel Efficiency -
Between the run-in and post run-in, I haven’t noticed much of a mileage change. I have always managed to get an average mileage of 15.5kmpl in peak traffic conditions. Though during the run-in it was always in the 14.5-15kmpl range. So we can say there has been a .5kmpl increase.
On the highway, with spirited driving, I got 18kmpl.
But then again with very relaxed driving, I managed to get the mileage to 22kmpl+.(I was in the 80-90 kmph) Got this on my recent trip to Talakadu and Gaganachukki falls.
Living in Bangalore
So far my car has attracted the following
1. A long scratch on the right side of the car encompassing both the doors. Probably done by a mischief monger with a key or something when the car was parked in a parking lot.
2. A few noticeable scratches on the front left wheel arch - courtesy our omni-present auto rickshaws.
3. Right ORVM cracked - courtesy our very own 24/7 Indicabs.
|9th October 2009, 11:28||#66|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Aug 2008
Thanked: 148 Times
Good going there!
Regarding the tuning box, I read somewhere on a punto thread discussing the installation post 10,000 kms.
The observations of a softer diesel clatter were also reported.
|9th October 2009, 15:20||#67|
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Thanked: 225 Times
Congrats gods-envy on completion of 4000 kms. The fuel efficiency posted by you is amazing. Boy imagine getting 22+ on long drives, you can drive on and on.
I feel 80-90 kmph is a very good speed to drive on Indian highways. Any thing above 100 kmph is risky considering the poor road manners. The feeling of spiritedness most often comes in lighter cars, but the lighter cars tend to bounce a lot on highways due to damping dynamics. I felt that in punto if you have an open road then you can work the gear box and the engine, stay in the sweet zone 1700-3500 rpm, you can take it to 140 kmph easily.
|9th October 2009, 15:24||#68|
Join Date: Feb 2009
Thanked: 10 Times
GE, good to hear you are enjoying your ride, do post some day light pictures of your car, as the one i have seen in my city is different shade of white then yours, so do share.
|21st December 2009, 15:40||#72|
7500 kms update
No major change compared to last time.
1. My GP was among the one with the faculty clutch slave cylinder or something, so dealer promptly replaced it
2. The car still has some alignment issues and keeps moving to the left; have mentioned it many a times to the service guys and they say they have resolved it, but it still persists.
How do I take it further so that my problem gets resolved?
I dont want to complain to anyone as the staff have been really courteous and helpful everytime, but again haven't resolved my problem.
Also, should I go for an oil change now?
|22nd December 2009, 11:48||#73|
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Yokohama, Japan
Thanked: 225 Times
2. Do you feel the car pulling to left all the time or only on some roads?The steering also depends on road camber and may not necessarily be an issue in the wheel alignment.
3. Oil replacement required only at 15000kms / 1 year interval. This is mentioned in the manual.
|30th December 2009, 18:45||#74|
9000 Kms Update
There is no difference in clutch after replacement. Just that noise that used to come has gone away; apart from that, nothing else. Its still the same. And I am ok with the way it is.
Last week, had taken the car to concorde. Because of the car pulling to the left, one side of my front left tyre had worn out. They did some tyre rotation and also did some alignment. Now almost 90% of the problem seems to be solved. But the 10% is still there.
The Service advisor has advised me to drive it for a few more days and he would rectify the same in the next couple of days.
Yes, agree that the oil replacement is at 15000kms but a few tbhpians have got it done at 7500 kms and are extremely happy with it.
But now that my car is already at the 9k mark, I am not sure whether to proceed with the change or not.
|2nd January 2010, 07:27||#75|
Join Date: Nov 2009
Thanked: 10 Times
there was another thread where someone said that there is drag or pull to the left of the car. In my car how do I figure out there is drag to any particular direction?
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Registration Number fraud! Someone else using my number plate||Palio_2005||The Indian Car Scene||39||16th October 2016 12:31|
|Grande Punto Facelift: From baby Maserati to Punto Evo EDIT: Punto 'My Life' on pg.7||sushanthr77||The International Automotive Scene||167||25th November 2011 12:02|
|Med Grey Punto MJD Emotion - Running Story||divx||Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports||52||17th August 2011 16:26|
|Another Punto Story --- Diesel Emotion Pack||sridharp77||Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports||32||25th August 2009 18:17|