Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th April 2010, 13:16   #106
Senior - BHPian

What are the tips to drive the i20 AT effectively? I wasnt pleased with my test drive today. Initial response is very weak, but flooring the pedal results in quick surges. I was really not able to get the hang of it.

I am sure its not just flooring the pedal. My experience with AT is very limited, Only other AT cars driven are Satish's Audi A4, Santa fe (US model), old 98 Corolla (US model), Santro AT and an literally scrap Zen AT.

Is there anyplace to doing a little reading on how to drive indian AT cars?
mail4ajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 18:56   #107

Well, this is not really going to translate much about your AT driving skills. You have already checked out the superior versions of AT with the Audi and Santa-fe. Given the conditions in India this probable is a better small car unit with AT.
I have taken the car for a few long rides. Something I realised is that the car needs to be handled with a little slower process. The car responds well in that manner. When I say slow, does not mean the speed but the flooring. It needs to be on a consistently slow dip. The surges are avoidable once taken in that fashion. Please be aware Hyundai has built this primarily for City purposes. If you ask me, with the existing available models in this range, this car stands out. I have not really found any place to read much about Indian AT driving tips.
Anford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 22:54   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
What are the tips to drive the i20 AT effectively? I wasnt pleased with my test drive today. Initial response is very weak, but flooring the pedal results in quick surges. I was really not able to get the hang of it.
yes, flooring the pedal in i20 AT is an issue. it doesn't pick up immediately. instead there is a gap and then a sudden surge. but you get over this urge to floor the pedal in i20 AT over a period of time. anford has good advice which is what I follow too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
Is there anyplace to doing a little reading on how to drive indian AT cars?
there is no single formula to drive an AT. each AT (for that matter, each car model, manual or AT) is different and you need to get adjusted to it's characteristics.

I remember reading a long discussion on AT driving in an i10 AT thread. look for that thread.
pachchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2010, 23:35   #109
BHPian

Default 5K update

finally I got a chance to make couple of long drives.

first one was blr-mysore-blr. my wife and I shared the drive with my 2.5 yr old son in the back buckled in his carseat.

in my driving, most of the time I was around 90-100 kmph. briefly on NICE road, I was around 120 kmph without even realizing it. like I said in my earlier post, i20 is effortless at high speeds. I didn't go beyond 120 ever.

in my wife's driving, most of the time she was around 80 kmph.

sorry, we didn't measure the mileage in this trip.

the overtaking was a breeze. light steering was not a problem.

A/C was sufficient, but not a chiller. we were careful in parking in the shade wherever we parked, so the car didn't heat up.

the drive was smooth, gliding over rough patches of road, no fatigue at the end of the trip. in santro I was exhausted after just 3 hours of mys-blr drive.

not as much road noise as we had in Santro. in Santro while driving at 80 mph, the radio was useless. in i20, we enjoyed the radio/USB-Aux music thoroughly regardless of the speed.

overall the car had the luxury feel.

second trip was blr-mys-ooty-coonoor-ooty-mys-blr trip. couple of additional observations in this trip.

mileage - we measured it this time. divided into 2 parts.

first part is from blr-mys-masinagudi-ooty-coonoor-ooty part. people who've been to ooty via masinagudi route know the 36 hair-pin bends needed to climb the hill to reach ooty. needless to say, it was a breeze in this climb with the AT transmission. also the drive between ooty and coonoor and back was also bumper-bumper traffic following buses, trucks etc in single-lane curvy roads, etc. overall, the mileage in this part of the trip was between 11 and 12 kmph. the light steering was really useful in this part of the trip. I think I'm beginning to like the steering better the more I drive this car.

the second part of the trip was from ooty back to blr via mysore. in this part of the trip, the mileage was nearly 20 kmph. understandably, it is a climb down from the ooty hills to the mys plains. still there is a significant curvy patch involved to get down the hills.

regarding A/C, we figured keeping it in auto mode was of no use. we manually managed the a/c by changing the temperature, fan speed and vents as needed.

as in the earlier mys trip, the drive was fatigue-less.

finally, the steering column rattle that others have seen in i20, it hasn't surfaced so far (5k miles up). I am sure with more potholed road drives, it might surface soon.
Old 15th September 2010, 11:24   #110
BHPian

Hi,
I have gone ahead & booked an i20 Automatic in White colour for my wife yesterday.Our main requirement was an autobox looking at driving conditions in the NCR.Monthly mileage is low with 1000-1500 kms.
The only contender in the hatchback segment was the i20, unfortunately couldn't get the option pack of sunroof & 6 airbags in the auto variant.
I believe the autobox is also old school with 4 speed only,will be quite a different feel compared to my BMW 530d.
Any other autobox i20 owners on the forum,would love to hear your experience.Expected delivery is in 20-25 days,mods will be upgrading tyres to Michelin XM1 plus 195/60/R14 & I have already ordered the ipod cable from the UK which gives full functionality with the OEM Head unit.
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I believe hyundai has upgraded some features for the MY 2010 i20,in the UK they are also giving bluetooth connectivity with voice recognition as standard on the top models,wonder if that can be retrofitted here with the right parts.
Cheers!
Sandeepm777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2010, 23:15   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeepm777 View Post
Hi,
I have gone ahead & booked an i20 Automatic in White colour for my wife yesterday.Our main requirement was an autobox looking at driving conditions in the NCR.Monthly mileage is low with 1000-1500 kms.
congratulations. you won't be disappointed.

city mileage most recently has been 8-9 kmpl in very jam-packed peak-hour driving conditions with A/C on all the time.

fortunately highway mileage is nearly double - nearly 14-15 kmpl.
Old 23rd January 2011, 15:22   #112

Default Re: 2nd batch of pics attached

Hi Pachchu,

Those were nice illustrations of the I20 Automatic. This is the car I have picked up and it is ready to be delivered to me. And, this is my 3rd small automatic car. Our family has enjoyed driving automatic cars for a long time. Its just that people don't understand the advantages of having one. Some don't want it just because they don't want it. They don't even want to know about it. Anyway I go prophesizing automatic cars to a lot of my friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu View Post
front seats distance adjusted to my comfort (5'7").

driver seat height set to highest position to my wife's comfort. she's 5'3".

Attachment 186186

more than sufficient legroom given our front-seat settings.

Attachment 186187

pull this lever under the seat to unlock the bottom of the seat

Attachment 186188

with the bottom of the seat unlocked, pull it forward completely down

Attachment 186189

with the bottom of the seat completely down, now the back of the seat folds completely flat. remove the headrest before you do that. the back won't fold flat with the headrest on.

Attachment 186190

dash and automatic gear-shift lever.

Attachment 186191

USB +aux port. didn't work with my iPod Touch, so using only memory stick.

Attachment 186192

Attachment 186193

different modes on display (P=park, D=drive, R=reverse, N=neutral)

Attachment 186194

useful dead-pedal in place of clutch.

Attachment 186195
patrack1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2011, 08:50   #113
BHPian

Default Re: 2nd batch of pics attached

thanks patrack1in. my 3rd AT in India too. Sold off Santro AT to buy this one. other one I still have is Reva.

The city mileage (8-9 kmpl in bumper-bumper peak hour traffic) is the only downside to this car especially with ever-rising petrol prices. highway mileage is not bad. Reva has been our preferred choice for city driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrack1in View Post
Hi Pachchu,

Those were nice illustrations of the I20 Automatic. This is the car I have picked up and it is ready to be delivered to me. And, this is my 3rd small automatic car. Our family has enjoyed driving automatic cars for a long time. Its just that people don't understand the advantages of having one. Some don't want it just because they don't want it. They don't even want to know about it. Anyway I go prophesizing automatic cars to a lot of my friends.
Old 8th March 2012, 16:00   #114
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i20 1.4L Petrol AT Initial Ownership Report

Hi pachchu,

The thread is sleepy since 2011. I am planning to book a white or blue i20 for my wife soon - waiting for the announcement of the "new" i20 launched at Geneva Motor Show

I have gone through your entire thread and must say that its quite an involving one. The last compliment you gave to the steering system was at 5k kms. I am sure its been driven much more after that. Have you got the steering rattle issues.

Please post a brief review of your experience from 2011 till now if possible.
contangoback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 14:59   #115
BHPian

not much to write - that's why no updates. my i20 utilization is very low. I've clocked only 15000 kms on it now I think. our daily use car is Reva and I use my bike often. So, it is still running as good as new. steering rattling is not there. my city mileage is still between 8-9kmpl. highway mileage is somewhere around 13kmpl.
Old 9th February 2013, 14:03   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu View Post
not much to write - that's why no updates. my i20 utilization is very low. I've clocked only 15000 kms on it now I think. our daily use car is Reva and I use my bike often. So, it is still running as good as new. steering rattling is not there. my city mileage is still between 8-9kmpl. highway mileage is somewhere around 13kmpl.
Hi Pachchu, I'm interested in the i20 AT, but now it only comes in sportz trim and without a seat-height adjust option. Can the Asta variant's driver seat be fitted in the Sportz variant ? One dealer says its possible but another says it is not, is it a good idea to do it ? what do you think
msmatic is offline   Reply With Quote