Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 26th August 2009, 08:52   #271

We finally have a good big SUV with a considerably spacious 3rd row of seats. I have owned 5 Innovas by now, why? Not because i think it is an awesome car, not because it is as expensive to ride as a bicycle, but only because there is no competition to it. For the past few years, my family had to sell our Innova and buy another one. And this is a car which completes 1lac in almost a year. So now I am glad that Toyota has finally come out with a better and a classier car with that 3rd row of seats. I shall eternally be grateful to them.
civic.sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 12:46   #272
BHPian

Here's a review I found :
Big Torqueing Genius!- Reviews- Zigwheels
car_crazy1400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 13:04   #273
BHPian

Unhappy booked My Fortuner

Guys

Booked my Fortuner today. Paid 1l and the sales guy is expecting delivery only around Jan/Feb. Don't think I can wait that long.
Cheers
Dilip
dilipkumar7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 13:12   #274
BHPian

The dealer had a Grey Mica Fortuner for display in my town. It looked WOW! Large wheels, wide-stance with wide tires, large ground clearance - definitely looks like it means business. We all liked it from the outside. Inside, as everyone else is saying, is kind of a let-down. Doesn't look plush and luxurious like a 20+ lakh car should. And getting into the 3rd row needs above average flexibility - more difficult than in an Innova, maybe because of the height.

Not too many bookings for it in my small town, dealer says he can deliver a Fortuner by Oct-end or early Nov if I book now. No test drive either, the vehicle is "for display only". Said he would give a TD sometime next week.

There is a Dark Red Innova VX right next to the Fortuner. And it has most of the features of the Fortuner. The 8-lakh difference in the OTR price seems a bit steep, or rather the Innova feels so much more VFM next to the Fortuner. Is 70hp more power, full-time 4WD and SUV body shell worth 8-lakh more?

Anyway, I am looking forward to the test drive.

Cheers
H3LIOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 14:08   #275
BHPian

Red face First Impressions

Guys
When I test drove it I noticed vibrations thru the gear lever and also from clutch. Is it normal? Also the test vehicle did not take off smoothly as I had to rev it slightly. Did anyone feel the same? Also the suspension seems a bit stiff and bad patches were indeed felt inside the cabin. Also both the levers jerked if we just blip the accelerator when in neutral. I felt weird because my 6 year old car did not have it. Anyway its just fantastic to drive. The projector headlamps in test car was halogen only and not HID.

Now the long wait for delivery begins.....
Cheers
Dilip Kumar.V
dilipkumar7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 14:13   #276
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that the waiting period now stands at 8-9 months for the Fortuner.
Can't say I disagree with Toyota's production capacity of 500 cars a month. All cars in the 20 lakh segment manage anywhere between 50 - 300 sales tally, and the 20 lakh SUVs are typically hovering at about 150 - 250 for the popular ones. 500 is an optimistic, yet realistic, number to start with. Sure, the wait periods will be long initially, but I'd expect them to stabilise in 3 - 4 months (considering they already have an inventory on hand).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
Very nice that the issue has been brought to Toyota's notice, please put a word about Castle Toyota, Amritsar also if you can/possible. This will save many gullible customers.
Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
What is a semi automatic? I usually hire someone to shift the gears.. and do the rest of the driving.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-automate.html
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 00:10   #277
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner TVC:

News coverage:

Function

PS: One Fortuner thread is badly needed in the "Indian car scene" category detailing post launch. Anyone looking for info will look there.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 27th August 2009 at 00:16.
Ym-enjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 01:40   #278
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Default Great review!

Great review!

Would love to see a comparison between the Toyota Fortuner, Ford Endeavour 4x4 Thunder+, Chevy Captiva LT, Suzuki Grand Vitara, Hyundai Tuscon and Nissan X-Trail..

Whoaa!! thats a hell lot of options to choose from a similar price range..which one would you choose?

Maybe the CRV 2.2 iCTDi will be launched sooner now..as the competition is hotting up....just hope they wont price it in the Montero segment though!
robimahanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 08:33   #279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Would love to see a comparison between the Toyota Fortuner, Ford Endeavour 4x4 Thunder+, Chevy Captiva LT, Suzuki Grand Vitara, Hyundai Tuscon and Nissan X-Trail..

Whoaa!! thats a hell lot of options to choose from a similar price range..which one would you choose?
Looks like you didn't read the thread fully. Fortuner is a no brainer in this list.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 09:09   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Great review!

Maybe the CRV 2.2 iCTDi will be launched sooner now..as the competition is hotting up....just hope they wont price it in the Montero segment though!
Given that most of the fun of buying a new car is in the choosing of it, isn't this good news?! And given that most of the cars you refer to are still selling in reasonable numbers in other markets, relative to all the others in the list, it means that there are pros and cons for each. Enjoy!
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 11:45   #281
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Funny this slipped the eyes of the usually meticulous Japs.

Take a look at the attached picture (from the Fortuner's launch event). Don't the two bowties on the floor carpet look uncannily like the Chevrolet badge?
Attached Thumbnails
First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-toyota-fortuner.jpg  

GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 12:41   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Don't the two bowties on the floor carpet look uncannily like the Chevrolet badge?
lol...The writing is on the wall that Fortuner will be "running all over" the bow tie Captiva and a few others as well.
Digital Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 12:45   #283
Senior - BHPian

Good Spotting. That's a Fortuner standing tall on Chevrolet platform
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 13:51   #284
BHPian

Was looking at the specs and a bit surprised to see leading-trailing drum on the rear; why not disc ? (is it just the cost factor!) Would it suffice for this beast!
mkc15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2009, 14:19   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Take a look at the attached picture (from the Fortuner's launch event). Don't the two bowties on the floor carpet look uncannily like the Chevrolet badge?
Haha. Superb Observation.
razrman is offline   Reply With Quote