Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th August 2009, 11:37   #301
BHPian

6 months waiting period if you book now with the Chennai or Bangalore dealers. either this vehicle is too good or they are keeping the numbers low to generate some publicity!

what do u think?
BikerSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 12:30   #302
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
An updated Pajero with new exteriors, interiors, etc shall be out in some time, should act as formidable competition.
I won't even sign off the new upcoming Endy. for that matter.
I sincerely doubt there will be changes to the sheet metal. The latest iteration in India the SFX was actually the last version before it was discontinued in the western markets. Prior to the SFX launch we had the the earlier version of a discontinued platform . The SFX atleast brought it upto date with the latest iteration. I can't image that HM will go through the cost of modifying the pressing plant to change the sheet metal. Exterior changes if any will be in the plastic parts like cladding, bumpers, etc...

Interiors ofcourse can be spruced up and they need to be. The biggest drawback is the 117 bhp engine and I doubt that will be changed.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 13:09   #303
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Funny this slipped the eyes of the usually meticulous Japs.

Take a look at the attached picture (from the Fortuner's launch event). Don't the two bowties on the floor carpet look uncannily like the Chevrolet badge?
Yup GTO, the carpet used was indeed one from GMs launches I guess. Could be same event management company.

Here see the badge on the other side of the carpet too.
Attached Thumbnails
First Drive on the Fortuner EDIT : Launched @ 18.45 lakhs!-fortuner.jpg  

tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 13:33   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I sincerely doubt there will be changes to the sheet metal. The latest iteration in India the SFX was actually the last version before it was discontinued in the western markets. Prior to the SFX launch we had the the earlier version of a discontinued platform . The SFX atleast brought it upto date with the latest iteration. I can't image that HM will go through the cost of modifying the pressing plant to change the sheet metal. Exterior changes if any will be in the plastic parts like cladding, bumpers, etc...

Interiors ofcourse can be spruced up and they need to be. The biggest drawback is the 117 bhp engine and I doubt that will be changed.
But....will the Pajero continue to sell in metros post-April next year when BS4 norms kick in? Does the Pajero's old-school engine meet the latest emission norms? Even the Innova's diesel needs an upgrade with an inter-cooler to match those norms. The Fortuner is ready for BS4 as launched, I would think.
StarScream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 14:29   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Yup GTO, the carpet used was indeed one from GMs launches I guess. Could be same event management company.

Looks like a sticker.

Trivandrum got two Fortuner. Both sold out. One already left showroom and the other is locked.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 17:45   #306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post

It is unlikely that its a Chevy Badge.

Ask any event management firm, these kind of "X" markers are used to indicate positions where people have to stand during photography sessions. It ensures nobody slips off the photo frame .

Probably the Toyota guys forgot removing those before the photo sessions
karpusv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2009, 18:27   #307
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
Ask any event management firm, these kind of "X" markers are used to indicate positions where people have to stand during photography sessions. It ensures nobody slips off the photo frame .
I am frequently left amazed at the information this community throws out. Thanks Karpusv, that sounds logical though, in retrospect, I'm sure they wish the marker looked less Chevy-like.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 10:48   #308
Team-BHP Support

Just want to describe a very pleasant experience I had at one of the Toyota dealerships yesterday.

Nandi toyota has opened up a new city showroom on museum road. I had gone to a friends place yesterday and he stays in the building behind the showroom. We were just causally talking cars on the driveway of my friends apartment which is shared with the dealer as well.

We started talking about the Fortuner and wondered why it was not on display in the showroom. One of the sales exec at that point of time was leaving for home and was getting on his bike. He overheard our conversation and came towards us. The conversation went something like this:

Sales guy: Hello Sir, are you interested in seeing the fortuner?
Me: Yes, but you don't have it on display.
Sales exec: Sir, it will be on display tomorrow as it has just come today evening. It is parked in the basement, would you like to see it now?
Me: Yes, Please!!!!

He then takes us down to the basement and shows us the car, all the while explaining the features.

After that he asks us to come inside the showroom and he will give us the brochure and price list.

He gives us the brochure, takes our number for a TD next week and we thank him and leave.

Needless to say we were very impressed with the whole experience. It was past 7:30pm, the showroom was closing for the day, this guy had already packed up and was with his helmet et al, getting on his bike and he just happened to overhear our conversation on the road outside the showroom.

ps: I know I own a toyota now so many will think that this is biased but it would have been the same even if I did not have the Altis. Also I got my car from Ravindu and not Nandi. Both the dealers are really very good in this aspect of building the brand image.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 15:38   #309
Team-BHP Support

Already saw 3 Fortuners on road in gurgaon, 2 were gray and 1 was silver.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 15:44   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
It is unlikely that its a Chevy Badge.

Probably the Toyota guys forgot removing those before the photo sessions

Very logical, cos the team of 5 (3 Right side + 2 left side) was indeed standing at these places before they were asked by photographers to join at one location.
tanwaramit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2009, 20:22   #311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Funny this slipped the eyes of the usually meticulous Japs.

Take a look at the attached picture (from the Fortuner's launch event). Don't the two bowties on the floor carpet look uncannily like the Chevrolet badge?
is this to imply that fortuner treats the captiva like a doormat!!??
darxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 19:33   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Just want to describe a very pleasant experience I had at one of the Toyota dealerships yesterday.

ps: I know I own a toyota now so many will think that this is biased but it would have been the same even if I did not have the Altis. Also I got my car from Ravindu and not Nandi. Both the dealers are really very good in this aspect of building the brand image.

This is the one reason I am really impressed by Toyota.
While it is true that some of their cars evoke no emotion, and are practical buys (Eg: Corolla, Camry), their service levels, quality, and now prices, definitely impress me.
In fact, I would love to buy a Toyota soon for this reason! We haven't had any new jap car in our garage in a while and in some cases are paying for it (in some cases, literally). In the meanwhile, I do see myself recommending Toyota cars to a lot more people!
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 20:20   #313
BHPian

I guess my eyesight is good, The design of the fortuner resembles the Mercedes ML 320 cdi, check out the front grill.
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 23:33   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

Both the dealers are really very good in this aspect of building the brand image.
Very true. Actually i was quite pleasantly surprised when my dad bought one too. My dad approached one dealership which had just started. He took a couple of test drives (both the times, the cars were sent right at our doorstep). But at the time of final booking, we got to know about the other dealership offering a very impressive discount. So we finally booked the car there. But the sales person from the first dealership was extremely modest even after he knew we finalized the deal at the other dealership. He actually apologized that he couldn't match the rates since his dealership was new and called us a week later just to check up if everything had gone smoothly with us.
And after 3 years, all the trips to the dealership a la the free and paid services have always been good and responsive experiences.

Honestly, Toyota deserve all the respect not just for the extremely reliable cars but also for striking a cord with its customers. Brilliant!

Last edited by razrman : 30th August 2009 at 23:34. Reason: grammar
razrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 09:17   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quite quick delivery of Toyota Fortuner. I saw one in my locality just yesterday, 6 days from launch. Was not a demo car.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote