Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th August 2009, 13:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

A nice Red one there!

A sudden love for this color!

Congrats and wishing you miles and miles of safe motoring!
HappyWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 17:15   #17
BHPian

Congrats!! KuttappanAbhi..Fiat GP in red is really hot and smashing
Njoy the ride and drive safe..

- Vish
vishwask82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 18:23   #18
BHPian

Congrats Buddy, thats another red one to the growing Punto club.Come for some meets next time you are in town.
muneemmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 18:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinNbr View Post
Congratz! How much did you pay for the tyre swap?
I paid 2800 extra per tyre for the swap. It was done at Global tyres. Got the Nitrogen filling free, and also got a very nice Reebok travel bag as freebie. Car total OTR price came to 6.71 lacs. (after corporate discount and external insurance)

Thanks all for the appreciation and wishes.
KuttappanAbhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 18:38   #20
Senior - BHPian

B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! Enjoy!
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 20:23   #21
BHPian

Congrats Kuttappan. Nice snaps with soft focus, car looks great. Where exactly is Global tyres located? Nitrogen filling facility is available with them only or there are some other stations as well?
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2009, 20:38   #22

Thanks NutsNBolts.
Global Tyres is located in Cochin-Alleppey bypass, near Kundanoor signal.
They have a branch at Mamangalam as well, right after Popular and before Hotel Renaissance. Nitrogen filling is available at many places including both branches of Global, New Bharath Pitstop and more.
Old 25th August 2009, 21:08   #23
BHPian

Thanks for your help Kuttapanabhi. With your help, I was able to locate Kundanoor on google and understood the location. Thanks.
Old 26th August 2009, 00:35   #24
BHPian

congratz dude!
the car looks killer in red!
nice pics!
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2009, 17:56   #25

Any tips to keeping the shine in tact? Does the teflon coating or similar polishes work?
Is it true that if the car lies in sunshine, the color fades soon. What would be the best way to protect car from fading? I think this would be one qn asked by all the Red punters.
Old 11th October 2009, 21:26   #26

Thumbs up My Red Punto (Diesel E pack) - 4000 km update

The new member in our family is one and half months old, and has covered 4000 kms with ease. To be true to my word, Punto has been a pleasure – a grand companion, a fine traveler with comfort and ease marked with the Italian beauty.
Till first service:
The initial days went in getting used to the elegant poise, driving position, long clutch, new width, turning radius, getting a hang of unlimited features provided in this Emotion pack diesel vehicle. Manuals did take some reading to get completed, but all the features are pretty exhaustive to be fully used. Used to take the car for daily commute to office – 25 kms daily. That was the courting period where we both understood each other. I am not an aggressive driver, and was very careful with the car, ensuring that she is never taken above 2000 rpm in first 3000 kms. After couple of weeks, it was the chance to take her to a long drive – The first long trip – Cochin-Calicut-Wayanad-Kannur-Malappuram-Shoranur-Cochin in 4 days. Drive from Cochin to Calicut has been a pleasure, although the roads were battered along some stretches. Punto just eats up the normal potholes, and suspension is just unbelievable. In this journey, the engine noise seemed to be pretty high especially at lower gears, and at 2000 rpm – 80 kmph combination. As we entered the Thamarassery churam, the recent landslides made sure that the hairpin curves were in the worst condition that we could see. Huge trenches made the average 171 cms ground clearance look quite low. Fortunately the sheet that covered the lower portion of the car, came as a blessing. Against expectations, did not find it tough at all to climb the steep elevations. In this journey, there was a feeling that the first two gears are too short. However, got through without many problems, and understood that it was more of a preconceived notion rather than a real issue. After a day’s stay at Wayanad, came back till Thamarassery, and drove on towards Kannur. As we neared Mahe through NH17, the roads started to be non-existent and when we reached Thalassery it was the worst. Kannur town was not good either, and most of the roads in that day reminded me of the trip on my bullet to Himalayas. Punto was quite sturdy throughout the drive, the engine easing out quite visibly as we covered distance. With my experience of owning a Maruti Zen, I expected lot of rattles as we passed through heavy rain, tough roads for 4 days and 1000 kms. Quite true to the build quality of Fiat, there was not even a single rattle, and vehicle felt so well placed in the roads. Most of the hilly terrain drive was so nice, the vehicle is well seated in the roads, curves etc and the bodyroll is almost invisible as I tried curves at good speeds. The AC is a chiller, with automatic features coming to good use. Never drove without the AC till now. This trip gave me a mileage of 17.2 kms through mountain roads, very tough and battered roads most of the time with AC 100% on. Took the car for couple more long drives, one of 400 kms and another of 800 kms – For the first one, it gave me 19.2 with full AC on – The trip was from Cochin-Aleppey-Haripad-Changanassery-Cochin, with some temple visit diversions. The second trip was Cochin-Palakkad-Coimbatore-Udumalpet-Palani-Kollenkode-Thrissur-Cochin. By this time, the engine had eased out and was pulling like a horse. It was begging me to give more acceleration, and the first two gears did not feel so short anymore. At the end of the journey it gave me an amazing 20 kmpl with 3 adults, lot of luggage, and AC 100% on. All these mileages were taken tank-to-tank manually, and I noticed that the mileage shown using ‘My Car’ feature was just 5% off, which is a very good number. The Michelin Primacy LC’s with Nitrogen certainly reduced the tyre noise and the drive was very smooth in good roads.

Service: It was time for service, and gave the car to the able hands of Mr. Perumal of Concorde. He made me feel so comfortable as he took the car for drive, noted the complaints that I gave him, did make it a point to add some points which I had not noticed and ensured that everything will be made perfect. Although the service manual says no need to change the oil, I wanted to change the oil and hence that was also done. My friend Dhanush had mentioned that his Punto felt much different after the first service. Was waiting for the car to be ready, and when it was – what a surprise that was in store for me. Perumal gave the car to me, told some secret to my brother, and asked me to try driving the car. I got in, and tried to crank the car but something was wrong – I was not able to crank. The engine was already on, and the noise had gone. I could hear Perumal, the magician, laugh at the look on my face. As I drove, it seemed like a totally different car. Power delivery was quite awesome, and noise levels went down to an un-noticeable level. I could drive the car in 5th gear without keeping keeping any leg on the pedals, and the vehicle just drove on at 40 kmph with out even straining out. There was a pretty big elevation ahead of us, and Perumal asked me not to give acceleration. Punto just eased through at 35 kmph without even the slightest knocking. It was at that moment that I thanked myself for the decision of not buying the car from RF, and in choosing Concorde for the able service hands of Mr. Perumal. Service quality, response time etc has been top notch and I was wondering whether this was the company that received the constant complaint of bad service quality. Fiat certainly needs more service managers like Mr. Perumal to ease up its name of 'poor service quality'. I can recommend Concorde & Perumal to any Fiat user.
The car is driving like heaven nowadays. As I saw the lower sales numbers in Sep 09, I was sure that the reason for this car selling less is not because of the quality of the car – but the trust that Fiat could not buy in its prospective customers. The extent of features in the car, the looks, and the wonderful build, suspension and steering are all over-ridden by the bad name that Fiat service earned which they look like very much on the way to rectifying.
I received calls from Tata-Fiat after the purchase to check the dealer feedback, I promptly got call from Fiat Pune to check the quality of service which I gave 10/10, and even received an SMS when the service was completed. Finally, as I start winding up for a summary, I do realize that after all – a car is a machine and it cannot go without some minor glitches. I have tried to bring about all the negatives and positives below:

Cons:
- The rubber beadings lacked quality, and had fitment issues above the driver & front passenger seats. Seems that glue that Fiat is using + some rubber/plastics is of bad quality.
- The reverse light was not fixed from the day of my purchase, but I missed it in my PDI. Later, as I washed the car I found that the clamp that fixed the reverse light to the bumper was missing. Quite alarmingly I found that Fiat/Concorde had fixed it to bumper using – Guess what? – Insulation Tape! On further complaints and follow up, Concorde thinks that this might have happened during the transportation process. They acknowledged the issue, and managed to do some plastic welding to fix the reverse light back.
- The wheel alignment was off very quickly when driven through bad roads. It seems Punto’s wheel alignment is very sensitive when it goes through bad roads and it needs to be corrected asap to avoid tyre wear n tear. Concorde has corrected this issue during the first service.
- Blue and me, sometimes fails to recognize my phone’s blue tooth till I receive a call. Happened couple of times.
- USB port inside glove box – is the worst place Fiat could put it. You need couple of torches to find out the USB in, inside the glove box. To make things worser, Fiat does not have a light inside the glove box.
- Media player behaves very oddly. After a while, as we try to browse through folders it says “No media”. After following some threads about Linea, I understood that if I delete a song form the USB drive it becomes fine. Which was very correct.
- The plate over fuel lid is very thin. I have quite an uneasy feeling about it.
- Front ground clearance in bad roads, becomes an issue at times.
- The mud flaps have not arrived yet at Concorde. Its almost been 4 months since the car launched and the mud flaps are not here yet. Fiat - I have my doubts about the spares availability. Unless you improve by miles, you are not going to get the numbers that this car deserves. Now, I have asked my friend Dhanush to get the mud flaps from Bangalore for me, since he has already got it.

Pros:
- Features. Blue and Me is just too good. Very good utility feature.
- Steering – Undoubtedly the best feature of Punto. The stability and feedback – Just too good. Not sure if there is any car that can beat this one.
- Suspension. Lot of my colleagues was amazed about how the car is able to eat so many potholes that their ‘class leader’ car falls into. My mom was sitting in the rear seat in all the long drives, and she was as comfortable as in a cozy bed after the journeys. If you have a Maruti or Tata or Hyundai – you should definitely try a ride in this machine to know what this means.
- Instant Mileage. I have become a big fan. Never really thought about driving in mileage mode, but now this has become a challenge and every day I try to beat my previous mileage record during my drive to office.
- Space. Definitely a lot of space in the front. More than adequate space in the back, especially if the drive/co-passenger is not very tall (above 6 feet). Suggest to everyone who thinks that rear seat leg space is not enough, to adjust the front seat to your best position and then try the rear seat.
- Looks – Quite a head turner. In the signals, in the mountains, in the plains, in the city. The red punto wins the cake.
- More than anything – The assurance that car gives. It has that tank-like build that Fiat is known for. For the first time, I understood what it feels like to be inside a safe car. Right from opening the heavy doors, you get the feeling that you are inside a very secure space.
- The way Punto eases out post 3000 kms. It seems like a different car. The noise is almost not noticeable now, the pulling has gone up significantly, and its not a strain in lower gears anymore.
- Average mileage for 4000 kms has been near 18 kmpl. Long drives are giving me > 20 kmpl.
- The huge 195/80 R 15 tyres, especially if you change to Michelins with Nitrogen in them. Well planted in the road, with the heavy car adding to the factor.
Attached Thumbnails
FIAT Punto E+ Diesel - 6 weeks, 4000 kms update-img_0144copy.jpg  

FIAT Punto E+ Diesel - 6 weeks, 4000 kms update-img_0131.jpg  

Old 12th October 2009, 08:04   #27
BHPian

Hey KuttappanAbhi,

Nice review and details after your first service, I complement your work to note down all the minute details.
You are really lucky to have chosen Concorde over RF. I have booked a White Punto E+ at RF. Proximity to my home town was the only reason why I chose RF. Now for over a month I am waiting for my car, really terrible customer handling by them, I surely think they dont want to sell cars. The last day I went there, I could see at least 4-5 bookings cancelled due to the outstanding quality of their pre-sales service. If this is the attitude before selling the car, I really don't want to give my car to them after delivery for any sort of service. Just wanted to know from you that as the warranty and service is provided by Fiat, can I do my free services at Concorde or any other dealer (excluding the one from which I bought the vehicle to be precise ).

Take care of your red beauty and enjoy the bold new drive!!
GTX007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 11:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

A very detailed review. Waiting for the Himalayan trip to be done. Guess you will get more attached to it after it.
Enjoy the ride.
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2009, 12:59   #29
BHPian

Nicely compiled review Kuttapan. When did you go to Waynad. How is the road that side? I plan to go end of this month.
Old 12th October 2009, 14:47   #30
BANNED

K Abhi,congratulations on your italian beauty, red is best in its shade for sure.Hope with next gen GP all these small niggles with quality plastics gets rectified and comes out another winner as well.Enjoy your ride and keep updating.Is your seat covers done if so do post pictures as well.Nice FE till now which surely would go up in future.
vijaythacker is offline   Reply With Quote