Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st September 2009, 12:08   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
JayD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Cochin! At last
Posts: 3,195
Thanked: 1,996 Times
Default

Congrats on the new buy! The jazz is a great car. I would've bought it if it was a lil cheaper. Pls post some pix of the car too.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 14:09   #17
Gas
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Congrats on your Jazz.

I just did a test drive of one a few hours back.

I was pleasantly surprised with the smooth ride although I felt that the steering was a little light. The power delivery was there, but would come in late after revving the engine. The view from the driving seat was awesome and unrestricted.

I have decided to buy one for my wife and kids; but cant decide on the colour as yet - Silver or White. Cant also decide on the variant "active" or "mode". I feel if one gives the car to parking guys you need to buy the mode variant for the side and fender body colour protection; otherwise the active variant looks good.

My problem is that I own a Fiat Palio S10 which I bought in September, 2003. The car has run only 37000km and we all love it. It is amazing to drive and the accelleration blows you away. Sachin's signatures are still intact only the roof paint has faded a little. This is my 3 rd car, which my wife and I drive ourselves. I moved houses and because of parking issues have sold by BMW 316i too.

Thus the problem is whether we would be happy with a Honda Jazz to replace a Fiat Palio S10.....lots of other factors like two boys in juniour school... lack of airbags in the S10... and the S10's puny brakes, have made me feel that I should buy a safer car when we travel with the kids.

So Honda Jazz it is.. I hope we are as happy as you with our Jazz.
Gas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 14:11   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
coolclouds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Garden City
Posts: 1,790
Thanked: 513 Times
Default

Please post snaps.

I'm still not able to see more Jazzes in Bangalore may be for its premium pricing over other hatchbacks in the category.
coolclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 14:16   #19
BHPian
 
jack7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 100
Thanked: Once
Default pic's please

put in your beauty's picture online. You can't be selfish on that and not let us adore her.
jack7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 14:26   #20
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Thanks everyone.
I will post some pictures, but probably not before the weekend. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Long distance during break-in period with 5 passengers and luggage, I think you should mind that its 1.2 liter engine suited better for city runs. Take care of the engine initially buddy and it will serve you well.
Thanks for your advice. Yes, I did keep in mind that it is still within the break-in period -- so was careful about not stretching the engine too much. As long as you keep yourself below 120kmph, which I did (we did mostly 90--100), the engine seems to manage it all effortlessly.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 14:33   #21
BHPian
 
shreeps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 271
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Congrats on the Jazz. It really is an all-rounder car and very smartly designed.

I agree with the views on petrol. Even companies like BMW do not recommend the fuel with additives for their cars in India since the oil companies do not reveal what they put in these so called premium grades and what the standards are.
Better to identify a company owned or honest petrol pump with a good reputation and fill regular petrol from there.

Please post some pics so that the rest of us too can admire the blue beauty.
shreeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 14:37   #22
BHPian
 
lightinin95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 137
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Great choice of a car - though I feel it is overpriced. Congratulations on the new buy, enjoy your trips and drive safely !!

Sam
lightinin95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 15:24   #23
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas View Post
Cant also decide on the variant "active" or "mode". I feel if one gives the car to parking guys you need to buy the mode variant for the side and fender body colour protection; otherwise the active variant looks good.
You need those moldings even when you park the car yourself. Because the doors of the car parked next to you in a market will make dents on the side of your car otherwise.

Honda has packaged these `variants' in such a way that none of the variants fulfill all `reasonable' requirements. For example, in my case I wanted the fog lamps (necessity in Delhi winter), side step garnishes and body side moldings (for obvious reasons), and was indifferent to the others. Because of the way these features are packaged, I ended up taking the whole active pack + body side moldings. Maybe it is cheaper to go for the active pack and have the side moldings and corner protectors fitted outside. But one has to know a shop where they do a good job. I didn't, so got it fitted by the dealer.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 20:00   #24
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 79
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

@akp
Looks like great minds think alike. When finalising our new car, even we had similar thought process. Budget close to 8L, open to anything - sedan/MUV/hatchback. Even we restricted ourselves to more reputed brands, keeping A.S.S. and availability of that in remote areas on top. That slot could only be filled by Maruti and Honda. Even we were torn between SX4 zxi and Jazz and finally booked Jazz.

Looks like you took your ride for a long drive almost straight out of showroom. I am planning the same as well. Will be going for 3500+ km with luggage and two of us 6 weeks after taking it out of showroom. See the similarities??

Now, I really want to know how exactly you went about running in? At what odo reading did you go for long drive and how long? I posted same question in another thread here, he has'nt done anything specific other than avoiding rpm 2500+ and sudden accelerations. And finally what do you think the car is feeling like in terms of performance/FE etc.

Would be a great help.
cpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 22:30   #25
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpyder View Post
@akp
Looks like great minds think alike. When finalising our new car, even we had similar thought process. Budget close to 8L, open to anything - sedan/MUV/hatchback. Even we restricted ourselves to more reputed brands, keeping A.S.S. and availability of that in remote areas on top. That slot could only be filled by Maruti and Honda. Even we were torn between SX4 zxi and Jazz and finally booked Jazz.
Wow!

By the way, are you sure about the `availability in remote areas' part?


Quote:
Looks like you took your ride for a long drive almost straight out of showroom. I am planning the same as well. Will be going for 3500+ km with luggage and two of us 6 weeks after taking it out of showroom.
We went for a long drive once it completed 1000km and done the first servicing. But compared to what you are planning, it was almost a visit to the neighborhood grocery store -- we went to Amritsar (exactly six weeks after delivery!), the whole trip was about 1000km, and the roads were good too.

Even though your trip is long, if it is well spaced, say not more than 600/700 km a day, I do not see any problem. But then, I am not an expert. So do consult the service centre guys at the time of first service.


Quote:
Now, I really want to know how exactly you went about running in? At what odo reading did you go for long drive and how long? I posted same question in another thread here, he has'nt done anything specific other than avoiding rpm 2500+ and sudden accelerations.
I also did pretty much the same. So for the first 1000km, never went beyond 80kmph or 2500rpm, and avoided hard braking/sudden acceleration. Then during the long drive, moved the limits a little higher (100--120 kmph, 3000--3500 rpm).

The manual says `avoid hard braking for 300 km, rapid acceleration for 1000km and do not change oil before scheduled change (which is at 5000km/3months)'

Incidentally, what I wrote in a previous post on fuel requirement (87 octane and higher) is not true for the Jazz in India. The manual says it is 91 octane or higher.

Changing topic completely, can anyone explain how exactly to use the "multiquote" button when replying? And does it work on a mac? I tried, but without success. Thanks in advance.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 23:31   #26
BHPian
 
pachchu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: 37 Times
Default

Congrats on the Jazz. I just love it. If Jazz had AT transmission for the same price as current manual, it would have graced my parking lot instead of i20 AT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Changing topic completely, can anyone explain how exactly to use the "multiquote" button when replying? And does it work on a mac? I tried, but without success. Thanks in advance.
Try the FAQ first.

Team-BHP - Team-BHP FAQ: Advanced Forum Usage
pachchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2009, 23:41   #27
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachchu View Post

Thanks a lot. It worked.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:11   #28
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,499
Thanked: 1,268 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
The manual says - do not change oil before scheduled change (which is at 5000km/3months)'
Nice write up!
Given a common preference for changing the oil after the first 1000-1500 kms in a new car, even if the manufacturer does not require that, this is something I am coming across for the first time, a specific instruction to not do this. What could be the reason, and is it worth "arguing" about this, and changing it regardless, at a Honda A.S.S? Anybody?

Last edited by Sawyer : 2nd September 2009 at 15:14.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 15:34   #29
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,772
Thanked: 273 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
this is something I am coming across for the first time, a specific instruction to not do this. What could be the reason, and is it worth "arguing" about this, and changing it regardless, at a Honda A.S.S?
+1 to this. I'm indeed amazed at this being specified in the manual. Perhaps, other Jazz owners who have checked with their service centres will be able to enlighten us. An oil change at the 1,000-1,500 is recommended no matter what the owner's manual/service manual states.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2009, 17:57   #30
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 79
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
By the way, are you sure about the `availability in remote areas' part?
Nothing matches Maruti in that respect, but compared to other MNCs, Honda leads the pack. Plus they offer 24x7 off road assistance for four years within a respectable distance. Additionaly the reliability of of Honda that I may never need any of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Even though your trip is long, if it is well spaced, say not more than 600/700 km a day, I do not see any problem. But then, I am not an expert. So do consult the service centre guys at the time of first service.
That's exactly the plan. A leisurly 500 km or so a day along western ghats over 12 to 14 days. I might have to get the first servicing done somewhere enroute. But lets see how much time i have before i leave.


Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Wow!

Incidentally, what I wrote in a previous post on fuel requirement (87 octane and higher) is not true for the Jazz in India. The manual says it is 91 octane or higher.
So does it mean (91 octane) a regular petrol or the 'premium' stuff?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
Nice write up!
Given a common preference for changing the oil after the first 1000-1500 kms in a new car, even if the manufacturer does not require that, this is something I am coming across for the first time, a specific instruction to not do this. What could be the reason, and is it worth "arguing" about this, and changing it regardless, at a Honda A.S.S? Anybody?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
+1 to this. I'm indeed amazed at this being specified in the manual. Perhaps, other Jazz owners who have checked with their service centres will be able to enlighten us. An oil change at the 1,000-1,500 is recommended no matter what the owner's manual/service manual states.
Even I am confused. In fact some people suggest changing the oil within first 30-40 km itself. This link on this team-bhp thread. Here we have Honda manual saying not to do it before 5000km!!

Anyone any pointers?
cpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 Honda Jazz - 7 year update V.Narayan Long-Term Ownership Reviews 36 27th May 2017 14:23
Honda Jazz ownership report! bijujj Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 61 29th December 2015 20:16
Fiat Linea MJD Dynamic - Ownership report *EDIT* 25,000 KM update prakash_ajp Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 16 23rd April 2012 15:54
Honda Jazz Initial Ownership Report manu7781 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 19th January 2010 13:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks