Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 10:23   #61
Senior - BHPian
 
Ramsagar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore-Nellore
Posts: 1,327
Thanked: 38 Times
Default

Congrats on the buy.
Be careful with the steering wheel cover,this tends to silp while negotiating a tight turns,its advisable to remove such kind if covers.OE steering feels much better.

I really love the AC controls but hate the layout of the music system.Jazz looks like a cursed Innova.
I guess only 10 out of 1 comes with Michelin tires.u are lucky in that matter.
Any plans for alloys?
Ramsagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 11:30   #62
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsagar View Post
Congrats on the buy.
Be careful with the steering wheel cover,this tends to silp while negotiating a tight turns,its advisable to remove such kind if covers.OE steering feels much better.
Thanks.
I have been using a similar cover in my Uno for close to 9 years now -- it just seems to suit my grip very well.

Quote:
I guess only 10 out of 1 comes with Michelin tires.u are lucky in that matter.
Any plans for alloys?
10 out of 1 !!
I actually did not get michelin, it is cpyder who got them. I got goodyear. No alloys for now.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2009, 18:50   #63
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Second service/3800 km report

Got the 2nd servicing done at Automax Honda in Mayapuri on September 30. Had earlier done the 1st service on August 8, at the same place. Here is a brief report so far.


Between these two servicings, apart from my regular quota of city driving, we also did two long distance trips with the whole family (wife, daughter and parents). The first was a 3-day trip to Amritsar a week after the first service with odometer reading at about 1100 km, and the second was again a 3-day trip, to a place near Jhansi called Orchha (to know more about the place and about the route from Delhi, look at this thread by architect: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...hha-delhi.html (Delhi - Khajuraho - Orchha - Delhi)), done a month after the previous trip.



Amritsar:

distance from my home is 478km. Total trip distance, including local travel there as well as a trip to Wagah border, was 1029 km. Filled petrol at the beginning of the trip, once at Ludhiana, then just before leaving Amritsar on our way back, and finally after reaching Delhi. FE for the Delhi-Ludhiana part was 17.2; Ludhiana-Amritsar, local travel in Amritsar and trip to Wagah (which included a horrendous jam coming out of Wagah) put together, it was 14.2 and the return journey of Amritsar-Delhi was 17.1, with overall FE for the trip being 16.4. Throughout on the highway, the speed was kept between 80--100 mostly. And the rpm kept within 3000-3500.


Orchha:

The total trip length this time was 888 km, consisting entirely of onward and return journey, with almost no local travel involved in Orchha. As the car had put in some more mileage by now, I decided to experiment a little more and push the engine a little bit whereever I could. So for example, on smooth stretches, I did 100--120 consistently, and occasionally did 130-140. Then there were some bad patches between Agra and Gwalior (localities with very bad road surface, nearly hidden speed-breakers etc), and roads start getting worse after Gwalior. The last 30/40 km in the Gwalior-Jhansi sector (from Datia to Jhansi) is absolutely terrible. Also, on our way back we took the Agra bypass, which is in an absolutely shocking state. There are some parts on that bypass where I had to literally stop, think how to proceed so as to not scrape the underbody against the road surface, and proceed in a zig zag trajectory Maradona would have been proud of. In short, the variation in driving during this trip was a lot, and this reflected in the FE figures. Filled petrol at the start of the trip, then at Gwalior, then near the Mathura Refinery on our way back, and finally after reaching back home. The FE figures were 14.5, 14 and 16 respectively. Only in the last part (Mathura refinery -- Delhi) was the driving more sedate but smooth (80-100, as it was dark by then) and the FE was reached about 17 or so before again being spoilt by a huge traffic snarl from Ballabhgarh onwards.


All these FE figures are with 5 passengers, boot full of luggage and AC on all the time.


The car:

1. very stable at high speeds, at least up to 140 (when I asked my wife to look at the speedo -- she almost didn't believe we were going at 140),

2. I have driven santro, uno, innova (diesel) and now jazz on highways. I would place Uno, Innova and Jazz in a similar category (and a few steps above the Santro) as far as steering and road grip at high speeds is concerned. I should point out that I had never exceeded 100kmph with any of the others whereas I did upto 140 in my Jazz. Also, my experience with Innova is strictly limited -- I have just driven about 200 km on a highway trip once about 3 years back.

3. Brakes are good. Once after a particularly bad stretch of road, there was a bit of smooth surface and I was so relieved that I missed a speed breaker completely until I was really close to it. Needed the brakes and ABS badly, and they did not fail me.

4. FE: driving in low gears does not affect FE too much as long as you don't press the accelerator too much. What affects FE adversely is long periods of idling, or going beyond 100kmph.

Here are some rpm/speed figures at different gears that I managed to observe and remember (disclaimer: based on eye estimates, especially where the indicators are away from
multiples of 5, so all are approximate figures):

1st gear:
2000rpm --> 17 kmph
2500rpm --> 20 kmph

2nd gear:
2000rpm --> 30 kmph
3000rpm --> 40 kmph

3rd gear:
2000rpm --> 40 kmph
2500rpm --> 50 kmph
3000rpm --> 60 kmph

4th gear:
1800rpm --> 50 kmph
2200rpm --> 60 kmph
2600rpm --> 70 kmph
3000rpm --> 80 kmph

5th gear:

1900rpm --> 60 kmph
2200rpm --> 70 kmph
2500rpm --> 80 kmph
4500rpm --> 140 kmph

5. overtaking during the initial part of the first trip was a bit of a problem, because I had not got used to the lack of torque at low (<1800) rpms. But once I got the hang of it, it was absolutely fine.

6. suspension: as other Jazz owners have already mentioned in the other threads on Jazz, the suspension is a bit stiff, and at low speeds, you feel it. But at high speeds, it is really very good and handles potholes quite well.

7. tyres: I got Goodyear and have not changed them yet. These are quite noisy at high speeds on concrete roads. On flexible surfaces, however, they are much better.

8. Ground clearance: at 160 mm, it is on the lower side, and one needs to be careful, specially on bad roads and when the car is fully loaded (when the effective GC goes down further). On the Datia-Jhansi sector, twice I scraped the underbody against the surface (actually lose pieces of stone), but fortunately no damage done.



Experience at Honda workshop:


Experience at the workshop was a welcome change after my experience during last several years at various Fiat/Fiat-Tata workshops in Delhi. I reached the workshop at 9:40, immediately a person comes and takes charge of my car, job card is done within a few minutes, delivery promised by 1 pm. He also explains what all will be done. I ask him to show me a few things (how to access the fuse box, how to remove/clean/replace the air filter etc), and he obliges. After this, I go to the customer lounge (from where I could watch my car) and use the pc kept there to browse the net a little. Tea/coffee/soft drinks were served at regular intervals. I also went down once near the car to have a look at the underbody myself when they lifted the car. In a little over an hour and a half, everything done, including cleaning, and the car is kept outside to dry. By 12:30, all formalities/payments done, the car is ready. It was a free service, all I had to pay for was the oil change. I decided to go for normal oil this time -- the total cost came to 815/-. Will probably switch to synthetic at the next change, which is due in another 3 months.


Here are a few pictures from under the bonnet, taken after the 2nd service.

Left side: Air filter (left), battery and the ECU:

Honda Jazz - My ownership report (30,000 km update on page 10)-300909-144917.jpg


Engine:

Honda Jazz - My ownership report (30,000 km update on page 10)-300909-144936.jpg

Right side:

Honda Jazz - My ownership report (30,000 km update on page 10)-300909-145127.jpg


Coolant reservoire is placed in such a way (between the two fans, right behind the radiator) that it is a little difficult to check the coolant level.

Honda Jazz - My ownership report (30,000 km update on page 10)-300909-145237.jpg
akp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 10:59   #64
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 79
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

That was a nice review of the roads as well as the service center. Keep it coming. The pictures are nice and clear. I wonder which camera did you use? What about the flash?
cpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 11:18   #65
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpyder View Post
That was a nice review of the roads as well as the service center. Keep it coming. The pictures are nice and clear. I wonder which camera did you use? What about the flash?

Thanks, cpyder.

I use a relatively little known and now 3 year-old point and shoot, casio ex z850. Though p&s, it has very impressive manual control and practically no shutter lag. Flash is the built-in one.

Forgot to mention one thing -- the oil they have put is 10W30, which is according to the dealer the honda recommended one.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:09   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,713
Thanked: 89,077 Times
Default

Nice update Akp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
very stable at high speeds, at least up to 140 (when I asked my wife to look at the speedo -- she almost didn't believe we were going at 140) I have driven santro, uno, innova (diesel) and now jazz on highways. I would place Uno, Innova and Jazz in a similar category (and a few steps above the Santro) as far as steering and road grip at high speeds is concerned.
Amazing how small cars have progressed in the last 10 years.

Quote:
overtaking during the initial part of the first trip was a bit of a problem, because I had not got used to the lack of torque at low (<1800) rpms. But once I got the hang of it, it was absolutely fine.
True, it definitely takes getting used to. You got to wring that engine at times!

Quote:
Experience at the workshop was a welcome change after my experience during last several years at various Fiat/Fiat-Tata workshops in Delhi. I reached the workshop at 9:40, immediately a person comes and takes charge of my car, job card is done within a few minutes, delivery promised by 1 pm. He also explains what all will be done. I ask him to show me a few things (how to access the fuse box, how to remove/clean/replace the air filter etc), and he obliges. After this, I go to the customer lounge (from where I could watch my car) and use the pc kept there to browse the net a little. Tea/coffee/soft drinks were served at regular intervals. I also went down once near the car to have a look at the underbody myself when they lifted the car. In a little over an hour and a half, everything done, including cleaning, and the car is kept outside to dry. By 12:30, all formalities/payments done, the car is ready. It was a free service, all I had to pay for was the oil change. I decided to go for normal oil this time -- the total cost came to 815/-. Will probably switch to synthetic at the next change, which is due in another 3 months.
This is the 3rd positive experience at a Honda workshop that I'm hearing of in a month. The parent company is definitely taking strides to improve the overall service quality.

Quote:
Coolant reservoire is placed in such a way (between the two fans, right behind the radiator) that it is a little difficult to check the coolant level.
The beauty of our ownership report. Such nuances are observed only after living with the car.

Thanks for sharing. And drive safe!
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 19:27   #67
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nice update Akp!
Thanks, GTO.


Quote:
This is the 3rd positive experience at a Honda workshop that I'm hearing of in a month. The parent company is definitely taking strides to improve the overall service quality.
After having to put up with some of the Fiat workshops in South Delhi region, I think any experience was likely to be positive! But having said that, my experience so far at the Automax workshop so far has been absolutely top class, by any standards.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 21:14   #68
Senior - BHPian
 
xingamazon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,399
Thanked: 110 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
4. FE: driving in low gears does not affect FE too much as long as you don't press the accelerator too much. What affects FE adversely is long periods of idling, or going beyond 100kmph.

Here are some rpm/speed figures at different gears that I managed to observe and remember (disclaimer: based on eye estimates, especially where the indicators are away from
multiples of 5, so all are approximate figures):

1st gear:
2000rpm --> 17 kmph
2500rpm --> 20 kmph

5. overtaking during the initial part of the first trip was a bit of a problem, because I had not got used to the lack of torque at low (<1800) rpms. But once I got the hang of it, it was absolutely fine.
Very good review I am impressed. Actually I hated jazz for a long time. But now I am slightly changing my views.

Nice work on the details of the rpm vis-a-vis speed.

Regarding FE are you telling, it doesnt suit much for city driving.

First time I am hearing the issue of lower RPM are other Jazz owners having same issue.
xingamazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 00:02   #69
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Very good review I am impressed. Actually I hated jazz for a long time. But now I am slightly changing my views.
Except for the price, it is difficult to find any reason to hate it.


Quote:
Regarding FE are you telling, it doesnt suit much for city driving.
No, not at all. It is a pleasure to drive around in the city (and on highway as well). What I meant is, even when you are driving around in stop and go traffic in gears 2 and 3, the FE is very good. It tends to come down only when for example you have to wait at the signal for a long duration with the engine and AC on. Even so, overall you get a pretty decent FE. Till now in city driving, it has given me an FE of around 12. Started with 11 or so, and now going towards 12.5 (reason could be the engine opening up, or my driving style adjusting to it better, or perhaps a bit of both).


Quote:
First time I am hearing the issue of lower RPM are other Jazz owners having same issue.
Well, this is my first and so far only experience with Honda cars, so I am not the best person to answer this -- but if you see this post by GTO earlier in this thread, it is apparently nothing new. They do it deliberately to make the car more fuel efficient.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 15:15   #70
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Secunderabad
Posts: 25
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

@GTO.

Kindly elucidate further.
Why is unadulterated regular petrol better than the Premium ones?
And how should I know which pump churns out unadulterated petrol?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Just a note : You do NOT need to use premium petrol in most Indian cars (Euros are typically the only exception). What matters is the "purity" of fuel. Unadulterated regular grade petrol is best.
Archer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 18:35   #71
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,713
Thanked: 89,077 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2005 View Post
@GTO.

Kindly elucidate further.
Why is unadulterated regular petrol better than the Premium ones?
Sure thing. See, there are two types of premium petrols:

1. High octane premium petrol : Only some premium cars (example Superb 3.6, BMW 325i etc.) require higher octane fuel. Its pointless to fill this in everyday sedans & hatchbacks. No benefits.

2. Regular octane + additive premium petrol : Again, pointless for all cars as the petrol is of the same octane. Only difference is the additive (usually detergents). No real benefit (though there have been reports of some engines getting damaged due to the additives). Before a manufacture sells a car in India, it is sufficiently tuned to run on regular petrol.

Net net, pure regular petrol does the job just as well. The key is purity of fuel : Stick to company-owned company-operated pumps. They are genuine for the most part.

Last edited by GTO : 4th October 2009 at 22:30.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 19:26   #72
BHPian
 
KITE RUNNER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 101
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

AKP, Thank you very much for the well written ownership report, which is an unbiased review. I am sure it will be helpful to many prospective buyers.


GTO, Thanks for clearing doubts about premium fuel, got rid of many misconceptions.
KITE RUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 19:51   #73
BHPian
 
pratikjammy87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: indore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

hii akp,
my current avg meter is showing 13.5 in full a/c city driving with all those pot holes and reckless and bullshit drivers,which i consider is far more better than i20 as it initially only gave 11.8 to my friend,its true jazz has only a disadvantage that is its price otherwise its the perfect example of perfect and clever engineering,basically if you see globally jazz is almost the same price as in india it was the wrong placing of honda city for asian market as they did not launch jazz early, otherwise its true for asian countries honda city was the car which was been built on the jazz platform with an additional boot,now city is been launch in european markets after a hit in india and neighbouring countries....
and if you compare the sales figure of i20 it got a sales pick after the launching of jazz where ppl found out it to be the substitute to jazz
and in city driving its really cool wonder to drive without any tensions and i feel so proud as ppl turnaround to see as if they saw a premium car like bmw or others

Quote:
Originally Posted by akp View Post
Except for the price, it is difficult to find any reason to hate it.




No, not at all. It is a pleasure to drive around in the city (and on highway as well). What I meant is, even when you are driving around in stop and go traffic in gears 2 and 3, the FE is very good. It tends to come down only when for example you have to wait at the signal for a long duration with the engine and AC on. Even so, overall you get a pretty decent FE. Till now in city driving, it has given me an FE of around 12. Started with 11 or so, and now going towards 12.5 (reason could be the engine opening up, or my driving style adjusting to it better, or perhaps a bit of both).




Well, this is my first and so far only experience with Honda cars, so I am not the best person to answer this -- but if you see this post (Honda Jazz - My ownership report (30,000 km update on page 10)) by GTO earlier in this thread, it is apparently nothing new. They do it deliberately to make the car more fuel efficient.
pratikjammy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 18:37   #74
BHPian
 
rutvij's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 354
Thanked: 105 Times
Default

Thanks a lot AKP for a Nice and detailed report.

Having owned a honda before I can vouch for good A.S.S. and unmatched quality of Honda products. After reading quite a few reviews of satisfied Jazz owners my heart is definately coming onto Jazz but my mind is still saying.... Are you kidding?

Honda must rethink its strategy and come out with revised pricing and different varients.
rutvij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2009, 17:45   #75
akp
BHPian
 
akp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 315
Thanked: 151 Times
Default

@KITE RUNNER: thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratikjammy87 View Post
hii akp,
my current avg meter is showing 13.5 in full a/c city driving with all those pot holes and reckless and bullshit drivers,which i consider is far more better than i20 as it initially only gave 11.8 to my friend
First of all, the meter showing 13.5 may not mean it is 13.5. In my car, for example, the actual FE (based on full tank autocut to full tank autocut fuel usage) is 1 less than what it displays. If that is so in your case also, then the difference between your friend's i20 and yours (11.8 and 12.5) is too small to draw any conclusion. Because FE depends not just on the car, on the exact driving conditions, and more importantly the driver.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Having owned a honda before I can vouch for good A.S.S. and unmatched quality of Honda products. After reading quite a few reviews of satisfied Jazz owners my heart is definately coming onto Jazz but my mind is still saying.... Are you kidding?
I do not want to start a debate on its pricing -- there is enough of that in GTO's initial Jazz thread already -- cars generally are overpriced, and the premium increases as you go higher up -- but I do not actually think Jazz is that overpriced. When I bought this car, I also had SX4 zxi in mind. Both had similar on-road price in Delhi. After carefully looking at what each car was offering me, I decided that Jazz was giving me better return for my money. So in that sense, SX4 is more overpriced for me. Of course that is purely my opinion. Jazz sales figures show that the common perception is different.
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 Honda Jazz - 7 year update V.Narayan Long-Term Ownership Reviews 36 27th May 2017 14:23
Honda Jazz ownership report! bijujj Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 61 29th December 2015 20:16
Fiat Linea MJD Dynamic - Ownership report *EDIT* 25,000 KM update prakash_ajp Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 16 23rd April 2012 15:54
Honda Jazz Initial Ownership Report manu7781 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 19th January 2010 13:46


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:40.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks