Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th August 2009, 08:38   #1
sb1

Default My New HYundai i10 Era Champange Gold- Delivered

Hi Friends,

After a long and patient wait , I have got delivery of my new i10 Era with iRDE engine.
There were a lot of issues before I could get delivery of my i10, primary was SBI car loans, though they promise a very low rate of interest but boy you got to have loads of patience and persistence with them. Even after loan approval i had to follow up for a week to get it transferred to the Hyundai dealer.
Then there was Hyundai dealer ( Bengal Hyundai) who kept me waiting for nearly a week for registration and Insurance.

I already have a thread on my decision to buy the ERA model... Thanks all BHpians who have helped me shaping in my decision.

To be short and to the point:
  1. A star was too cramped and noisy with its 3 cylinder engine & Wagon had a old engine with poor gear shift compared to i10.
  2. You might be wondering why I chose iRDE ( 13 Km/l) over Kappa ( 11.5 km/l), only becos of the mileage issue , that users have reported on the Kappa.[100% A.C]
  3. Also in City driving conditions iRDE is zippy, & you can only spot the difference on High ways, which would be very less for me.
  4. The price band was a also a deciding factor here ( 4 lakhs )
As per BHp advice I scheduled the delivery in the morning last last week so that I can take my time to inspect the car in details .
On reaching the showroom the sales manager attended me as the sales lady that I was dealing with was attending some training for which she had intimated me and requested me for delivery on Sunday.I did not want to wait any more...
I went for delivery with my wife and brother in law ...The sales manager was very courteous and took me to my new car...

There stood my new i10 ... she was a beauty... shinning golden colour.The head lamps really enhances the looks of this car to great extent.Particularly european styling.
The manager showed me and gave a full demo of the car... then proceeded with completing the paper works and formalities.

One great thing about this new car ... I have a engine immobilizer coming with these new i10 probably manufactured after April or May this year.

Additional accessories fitted:
  1. Fog lamps - neatly fitted - Rs 4200.
  2. Teflon coating - Rs.3500
  3. waist line molding - Rs.1600
  4. matting and mud flaps - Rs.1600
  5. Key less entry ( Vigil Hyundai Brand ) - Rs.4200.
  6. Pioneer HU ( USB ) and with 4 - 6 inches Sony Explod speakers- Rs.11550 with warranty and coupling to coupling fitting.
Did not go for Hyndai showroom accessories shop for the ICE, as the guy was courting some absurd prices ( 15 k ). He told me incase I get it installed from outside , they would not fit it coupling-to-coupling and that would get my warranty void for electrical parts in the car.But thank God I resisted and got it fitted ( coupling-coupling) from a great shop in south Kolkata - Vishal Auto.

Total cost of car excluding discounts - 4.15 lakhs.
Cash discounts - 12 k Insurance & 4 K corporate.
Free accessories worth 10K.

I would be soon be posting the pictures and my initial reviews after clocking around 300 KM on the ODO. Till then ...
sb1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 10:32   #2
knp
BHPian

congrats!! enjoy your new iRide!!
knp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2009, 11:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

Congrats sb1. Do post some pictures. I would really be interested to see the champagne gold color, as I have not seen many i10s in that livery.
Also for ice, did you go for components in front and coax in the back?
blackasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 16:10   #4
sb1

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Congrats sb1. Do post some pictures. I would really be interested to see the champagne gold color, as I have not seen many i10s in that livery.
Also for ice, did you go for components in front and coax in the back?

I will surely post some pictures of my new car and also provide a detailed review of my first week with this car.

I have 4 , 6" Sony explod speakers on all the 4 doors of my i10. Sound is good, though would be as good as a Coax . Had some budhetory contraints... am planning to upgrade 14inch Rim with 175/70/R13 Turanaza ER60 in a near future.
sb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2009, 17:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
I will surely post some pictures of my new car and also provide a detailed review of my first week with this car.

I have 4 , 6" Sony explod speakers on all the 4 doors of my i10. Sound is good, though would be as good as a Coax . Had some budhetory contraints... am planning to upgrade 14inch Rim with 175/70/R13 Turanaza ER60 in a near future.

err.. 14 inch rims and 13 inch tires? you can't be serious!
If you go for 14 inch rims, get 185/60R14 tires, preferably michelin / yokohama. you can stick to 13 inch and upgrade to 175/70R13. Do you plan to go for alloys?
Old 1st September 2009, 07:11   #6
sb1

Quote:
err.. 14 inch rims and 13 inch tires? you can't be serious!
If you go for 14 inch rims, get 185/60R14 tires, preferably michelin / yokohama. you can stick to 13 inch and upgrade to 175/70R13. Do you plan to go for alloys?

Hi,

Actually in varios posts that I went thru in this forum, specially in regards to i10, some esteemed members had raised some questions in regards to 13" rims. They had suggested to have 14" rims , to avoid danger of these wider tires coming off at high speeds.
But again yes I can go for some other sizes as well... but may be I have some time before I go for the upgrade...so may be i can research a bit more on this.

Right now what I am primarily concerned about is the mileage, which I am gonna check in day or two.
Old 1st September 2009, 13:22   #7
sb1

Hey Everyone!

Before I get into the full review of this new car , I would like to add that this thread is a continuation of the thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...d-i10-era.html (Maruti Wagor R Duo or Astar Vxi ? EDIT - Booked i10 Era)

Now let me pen in my review of my Hyundai i10 Era model which was delivered last week.

Initial Observation
Design & Looks:
The car simply looks very cute, I am proud that I choose the champagne Gold colour. The car looks sturdy and high from outside, the body contours are neat and finish is awesome, Hyundai/Maruti trademark.

Interior:
The interior is very neatly done. The dual tone beige interior adds a very spacious looks to the car. Though I felt it will obviously get dirty compared to Grey interiors in dusty Indian conditions.The cup holders and glove box space is adequate.The plastic quality is superb!
Comfort:
The car is quite spacious when you compare it with my old Zen. The leg room is great, even if you push the front seats way backwards. Th person the back seat has some room to manuovere.
The head room is good , a 6 ft person can comfortably sit in front or back without any issues.
I had 3 healthy males sit in the back row comfortably, so it is 5 people car.
The comfort feel also relates to the ability of shocks to absorb road bumpers and pot holes that are very common in Indian roads.I think that the shocks are bit stiff , at this point of time, may be they will easy out after clocking a few more kilometers on the ODO.
On Road performance:
  • Gear Shift: Gear is a treat of this car, I think it has arguably the best gear shift in its class. The gear is placed a little up the console and does need a little getting used when you transition from zen to i10. I felt that the initial pull on this iRDE engine on the 1st & 2nd gear is on the slower side. The car actually shows its true colour on the higher gear shifts and is quite zippy.
  • Pickup:As i said the car is quite zippy. The iRDE engine though has 1.1 L heart , is quite zippy and felt has very good pickup at higher revs. Though I did not push the car much , only clocked 80KM/hr on open freeway since the last 7 days.
  • Steering feel:EPS is a new thing for me, it is quite responsive in city, but felt it's little stiff compared to older hydraulic ones. But dont take my word for it may be the car is very new steering will ease out once i clock 500 km on the ODO.
  • FE:Yes probably that is the most important thing everyone would be looking at. I decided for iRDE only becos of the FE edge it has over Kappa.I did calculate the FE tank fill to tank, but that was only for initial day ( 7 liters to auto fill), that came somewhere around 10km/L, but that included considerable idling with 100 AC due to some demos to relatives and traffic.I have since then filled up tank and have driven like 187 Km on the trip meter that I had reset at petrol station and tank looks half full. I am keeping my fingers crossed but it looks like it is giving some where near 12 km/l. But dont take my word on it, I will be filling up my tank today and post my update by tomorrow. All these are with 100% AC .
  • Ground clearance:That is also one part which i was waiting for. I had severe ground clearance issues with my old zen. This Sunday I was driving the car with my friends when we drove over a big bumper and boy my car did not touch bumper ( 5 healthy males in the car).But my friend's Hyundai accent scraped on the same bumper
So let me keep my fingers crossed on the FE till day end.
Old 6th October 2009, 16:43   #8
sb1

I must apologize first for writting so late. I was kind of busy driving the car and with some work and festivities that kept off.

Now let me come the most important part of entire i10 ERA deal, the FE

I must say I am impressed with the FE the new i10 is giving me. Inspite of driving on 100% A.C, I have recieved a mileage of around 12.5 Km/l in city conditions. I did get a mileage of 10.2 km/l once when I tried my luck with a renowned HP petrol pump in Kolkata (Car Fill). I must say IOC normal petrol is far better and appears give much better mileage. I cant say why this is happeneing, may be experts will be able to shed in some more light into this . [ all measurements are from tank full-tank full]

I have just completed around 1160 KM on my ODO, I would probably ride the car another 150 more before I take it for fisrt service.

I have basically planned a few things for my fisrt service:
  1. General free service.
  2. Under body antirust paint.
  3. Wheel balancing & wheel alignment.
I would request other experts to pls give in their opinion on any thing more that I need to get done on the car on my 1st service.
Old 29th October 2009, 15:24   #9
sb1

Default i10 iRDE 1800 KM report

Hi Guys...

I am putting together my experience of my car which recently came from the fisrt service and by now I have clocked 1800 KM on the ODO.
  1. The first service at Bengal Hyundai workshop JJ Auto on a Sunday was not a very good experience for me.
  2. Though there is not much of checking that is needed on the car as per manual but I felt it way too short
  3. The technicians hardly checked the car only a minor replenishment of the coolent was done and washing.
  4. But as far as my experince with the car goes it is a dream to drive this baby.
  5. The gear shift is probably the smoothest I have seen. As we have Chevy Aveo and Honda City also in our house. So I am quite aware of way the gears feel on the move for them. Though again, I must say this is my personal opinion and I am not an expert.
  6. The car is pretty silent all round in the city, but you can hear the engine hum coming through the passenger cabin when the car is running around 80-100 KM/hr.
  7. The high way drive is laclusture.
  8. The drive in the city is awesome. I felt the car behaves best on 3rd and 5th gear.
  9. I have consistently slowed down the car from 100- 20 KM/hr on the 5th gear and again picked up speed, that too without any jerk or shake of the engine.
  10. The mileage is pretty good around 15km/l on highways and 12-12.5 Km/l in City conditions.
I will keep all posted .
Old 29th October 2009, 19:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Nice and detailed review sb1 - there are a lack of reviews for the i10 with the 1.1L heart. It's really helpful and soon I maybe booking the i10 era aswell.

cheers
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 20:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Nice and detailed review sb1 - there are a lack of reviews for the i10 with the 1.1L heart. It's really helpful and soon I maybe booking the i10 era aswell.

cheers
anekho, the i10 magna is again coming with 1.1 irde engine, give that a thought - if you like the peppiness of the irde engine (peak power at low rpm) and the trim level offered in magna. (magna irde costs 14k more than era irde)
Old 29th October 2009, 20:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
anekho, the i10 magna is again coming with 1.1 irde engine, give that a thought - if you like the peppiness of the irde engine (peak power at low rpm) and the trim level offered in magna. (magna irde costs 14k more than era irde)
sure blackasta, will consider!

Actually nothing is confirmed but if things go as planned we will be most probably getting the i10 magna sportz with the kappa engine. The era is a backup plan.

But what I'm really waiting for is the polo - if it comes forth as a good proposition, I'll plonk the money there
anekho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 20:45   #13
BHPian

yes guys, I have seen many Magna and Era iRDE cars in the market. I felt a little bad when i bought the iRDE as against the Kappa. But now, i feel the city performance of iRDE is much better compared to Kappa. This is after driving the Kappa!

But i20 carries the 1.4 L engines? are they called Alpha?
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2009, 20:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
yes guys, I have seen many Magna and Era iRDE cars in the market. I felt a little bad when i bought the iRDE as against the Kappa. But now, i feel the city performance of iRDE is much better compared to Kappa. This is after driving the Kappa!

But i20 carries the 1.4 L engines? are they called Alpha?

1.4 L petrol engine on the i20 is termed 'gamma'
Old 29th October 2009, 21:06   #15
BHPian

omg! these engine names are getting difficult to remember nowadays! anyways I am enjoyin my iRDE
MutantX is offline   Reply With Quote