Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th October 2009, 10:38   #46
BHPian

I will suggest you to change the oil at 2000kms, though Fiat-Tata wont agree to that but its very essential. I remember reading somewhere that after 1K kms oil change, the owner was able to see silver particles in the oil. I wont advise you to run your car 15K with those silver particles that wear from new engine in the oil.
Cheers
P.S In the manual can you please see what Oil has been suggested by FIAT one of service manager at HIM told me that in manual its mentioned that we can also use castrol and all?
somebodystopme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2009, 14:23   #47
BHPian

@somebodystopme

Thanks a lot. If I remember correctly, in the manual it is suggested to use Selenia oil. I am not sure if castrol is recommended. I will change the oil in first service.

-PK
pk_del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 12:12   #48
BHPian

Mods pls edit the title to "15000 KM's Update".

So here I am again after completing of 15000 KM in my GP MJD E+. She celebrated her 1st anniversary and we celebrated our 6th anniversary .

Now here is 15000 KM update, let me start with the experience so far:

The car has gone to workshop two times before this:

1. 3000 KM (1st service), in this service I also changed the oil and oil filter. I also opted for Teflon coating and underbody protection.
2. Went for free replacement of master cylinder. This was inititiated by FIAT and the job was done in 2 hours.

Last week after completion of 15000 KM I took the car for service. The total cost of the service was INR 4794/= including VAT and service tax.

Following parts were changed:

1. Engine Oil 3.2 ltrs
2. Fuel Filter assembly
3. Oil Filter
4. Air Filter
5. Pollen Filter

The car was taken in to the workshop at 1:45 PM and was promptly delivered to me after washing at 6:00 PM the same day.

Now the most important part, A.S.S experience:

1. The car was promptly received at the service station by the service advisor.
2. Car was throughly checked and the job was explained to me.
3. Apprx service cost was mentioned.
4. One nigle - rattling of my rear seat was mentioned and was noted down.
5. I made sure that the proper oil brand is written by the advisor. I felt that he was not very educated on handling FIAT cars.
6. The whole process took 45 minutes and the car was taken in the workshop.
7. It was explained to me that the tyre rotation and alignment cannot be done as the machine was undergoing some repairs. Now I need to find out some good wheel balancing and alignment shop in NCR prefereably Delhi.

During the wait i.e., 2:00 PM - 6:00PM:

1. Met couple of FIAT owners: Linea and Palio owners. And, they were not very happy with the service. Both had some niggling issues which were not yet resolved.
2. I myself went 2-3 times in the workshop to over see the job and was satisfied to see that it was being carried out properly.
3. The mechanics seemed to be experienced and were doing the job well.
4. 5:30 PM the examiner was connected and the service interval was resetted.
5. The car was then taken to washing and was delivered to me after getting the gate pass.
6. Forgot to mention, the seat rattle was also fixed and I dont hear any rattle in the cabin now (knock on the wood.)

Overall experience: I will give 8 out of 10 to A.S.S. I deducted two points because of the ambience of waiting area, limited knowledge of the advisor and wheel alignment and rotation not being carried out.

Experience with GP so far: 9 out of 10. This car is a gem, I have never felt that it is slow in traffic. The engine has quietend a lot and now I experience the booming sound only after 110 KMPH. I hear a lot of tyre noise though. I will upgrade to Michelin after 40000 KM.

I am getting around 14-15 KMPL in NCR traffic with full time AC.

I also took a 2KM test drive of 90 HP GP. Unfortunately I was not able to find any difference. May be I need to take a longer test drive.
However, I noticed the following compared to my GP:

1. Steering is lighter at slow speeds.
2. Clutch feel is much better.
3. Beading is of much better quality.
4. Plastics are little bit better but panel gaps are still there.
5. And Tuscon Wine color rocks.

-PK

Last edited by pk_del : 3rd September 2010 at 12:23.
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:02   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk_del View Post
Dear GP owners:

I have a query for you. Pls let me know if you notice this also:

The doors auto lock at 20 KMPH. This is fine. But when I stop the car and turn off the ignition they should unlock automatically. I remember the doors used to unlock but now they dont...Are you also facing this?

Thanks in advance.

-PK
Is this been taken care in your 15K service??
devil_klm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2010, 14:33   #50
BHPian

Actually there is no issue with the doors unlocking. I checked with dealer and he said that the doors lock automatically but they dont unlock automatically.

But I was in dilemma that why in the first place the doors unlocked when I switched off the ignition. I ignored this issue but one day, around 2 months back, I encountered the same phenomena.

And I realised that the doors unlocked because I accidentally pressed the "unlock" button on the key less remote while turning off the ignition. So I think the same thing might have happened before too.

-PK
Old 4th February 2011, 20:02   #51
BHPian

Default re: Got the delivery of my Punto EDIT: 30,000 kms update

Mods please update the title to 20,000 KMs update.

Dear All,

It is been long time since I shared my experience of my GP MJD E+. I recently became father again (well it was in Nov) and I was busy with my family and official travel.

Well here is my 20,000 KM update. Lots have been said about handling and negotiating potholes. I will not venture in to this territory again. Let me share the pro's and con's which will help the new buyer and the GP owners.

Pro's:

1. The engine has freed up a lot and I dont feel the diesel hum until 110 KMPH.
2. There are no major rattles in the car and interior of the car is holding up together until now (touch wood).
3. The T.A.S.S experience is good until now. I did not face any delays in attending my car.
4. I never felt the car is under powered. In fact I sometimes feel the torque a little too much to handle in bumper to bumper traffic.

Con's

1. The clutch slave cylinder failed twice. I had to literally fight with Fiat customer service to get the whole clutch assembly changed under warranty. I have mentioned the whole experience in GP's Issues and Niggles thread.
Full points to Him Motors for changing the clutch plates and slave cylinders under warranty. The job was performed to my satisfaction and the clutch is fine now (touchwood and fingers crossed). They charged me for the oil though
2. Changed my wiper blades (paid for them).
3. My power steering was producing "dumm dumm" sound. This only happened when the car was stationary or while moving very slowly. This was repaired under warranty.
4. I hear thud noise from front LHS. This was supposed to be fixed along with issue number 3. But this has not been fixed. I will have to take the car again to the service center.
-Any idea what needs to be done.
5. There is a minor sound like "kirrrrrr" which is coming from either the seat or HU unit. We are still not able to pin point the problem.
-This needs to get resolved.
6. Last night my fron LHS blinker bulb got fused. A yellow warning light flashed up along with the message "Check Front LHS turn light" on the MID.

To do items:

1. I am planning to change my brake pads. Is it recommended?

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

PK
Old 14th July 2011, 23:11   #52
BHPian

Quote:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Regards,

PK
PK,

Overall nice review of the italian beauty.
Please share the latest update.

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 14th July 2011 at 23:13.
Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 23:42   #53
Senior - BHPian

Wow!! Thats a fabulous looking Punto in a grey colour!! The shut lines seem just so perfect. And the car looks so solidly built. Nice to hear the Tata Fiat A.S.S is by and large good!

One thing however, that surprises me is that there are very few Punto Active ownership reviews and I think no reviews of the Dynamic variant. Almost all are Emotion or Emotion Pack!! Is the Emotion variant more VFM than these two variants?
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 23:46   #54
BHPian

Quote:
It is been long time since I shared my experience of my GP MJD E+. I recently became father again (well it was in Nov) and I was busy with my family and official travel.
Congrats mate. Upgrading to Innova anytime soon?

Quote:
5. There is a minor sound like "kirrrrrr" which is coming from either the seat or HU unit. We are still not able to pin point the problem.
+1. The hunt is on. Will update you as soon as I find the source.

Quote:
To do items:

1. I am planning to change my brake pads. Is it recommended?
I did it during 30K service.

Have a question for you.

I got the clutch slave cylinder replaced @7K. Have clocked 36K till date. Have got extended warranty. Since last few days I find it hard to change the gears. Can you tell me your experience with gear changing etc. prior to cylinder replacement please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
One thing however, that surprises me is that there are very few Punto Active ownership reviews and I think no reviews of the Dynamic variant. Almost all are Emotion or Emotion Pack!! Is the Emotion variant more VFM than these two variants?
Yes it is. Emotion Pack in particular

Diesel Dynamic Price (Ex Showroom Mumbai) = 568838
Diesel Emotion Price (Ex Showroom Mumbai) = 613095 (Diff - INR 45000)
Diesel Emotion Pack Price (Ex Showroom Mumbai) = 670735 (Diff - INR 102000)

Diesel Emotion-
ABS with EBD
Alloy wheels
MID showing DTE, Realtime Mileage etc
CD/MP3 player
driver seat height adjustable
Fog lamps

Emotion Pack = Emotion + following
Auto climate control
Airbags
Remote entry
Steering Controls
Blue&Me
Leather wrapped steering/gearknob

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 15th July 2011 at 00:04.
Rock 'n' rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 00:02   #55
BHPian

Please delete this post.

Last edited by Rock 'n' rollz : 15th July 2011 at 00:04.
Rock 'n' rollz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 18:50   #56
BHPian

Mods Please change the title to: "30,000 KM update"

First of all thank you for all your wishes.

This is my 30,000 KM update (well to be precise it is 29,500 KM).

Major highlights:

- Did my 30 K service at 28 K KM at Elegant motors and I was satisfied with it.
- The car is running much better and the interior and suspension is still holding up together.
- I observed that the Punto ride is much better than civic and it gobbles pot holes like a much bigger vehicle. This is just my observation, no offence to any civic owners.
- I feel the power is adequate and the in gear acceleration of GP is quite good.

Major lowlights:

- The yellow warning light on the console some times come up and the MID shows a bulb failure. But all the times it turns out to be false alarm.
- The steering "dummm dumm" sound appeared again and was resolved by Elegant motors.
- The gear shift is not as crisp as my parents Swift VXi.
- Turing circle is a big let down, specially if you are driving in small lanes.
- My rear wiper is not working. They need to replace the stalk. I am afraid to take it to services center because earlier they took 3 days to nail down this issue. Until now the part was not available
- Miss my OHC :(
- Elegant motors had closed the service station.
- Inspite of many "first in class" features and awesome product, Fiat failed to sell GP and Linea. A case of bad publicity and no advertisement.

@Rock 'n' Rollz:

Apologies for the late reply.

If you are facing hardness in changing gears or pressing clutch then you should get it examined ASAP. I faced similar issue before the clutch cylinder failed and was strangled in the night. I hope you didnt face any such issue.

Overall satisfied owner of GP. A trip is due to service station for the rear wiper issue.

-PK

Last edited by pk_del : 14th November 2011 at 18:53.
Old 15th November 2011, 11:12   #57
BHPian

Nice post PK. Congrats for your 30K wonderful miles. GP is definitely THE fab car on the roads today. Wish you many more happy miles in this wonderful car. Also, your baby must have/be turned/ing 1 this month. Congrats for that as well.
Need your little inputs. My uncle has booked a Punto 1.3 Dynamic. We are expecting a delivery in coming 10-12 days. Along with the team-bhp PDI checklist, do you recommend any specific points that we need to check before taking the delivery?

Drive Safe.
PassionateDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2011, 11:47   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassionateDrive View Post
Nice post PK. Congrats for your 30K wonderful miles. GP is definitely THE fab car on the roads today. Wish you many more happy miles in this wonderful car. Also, your baby must have/be turned/ing 1 this month. Congrats for that as well.
Need your little inputs. My uncle has booked a Punto 1.3 Dynamic. We are expecting a delivery in coming 10-12 days. Along with the team-bhp PDI checklist, do you recommend any specific points that we need to check before taking the delivery?

Drive Safe.
Thank you for your wishes. My baby turned 1 this month, thanks for the wishes.

Congrats on getting a GP. Along with PDI, just check under the door sils, engine mounts, under the bonnet and look for any rust. Since GP is not selling in great numbers I suspect they may be developing some rust.

Also get under body rust protection coating. Let us know your uncle's buying experience.

Wish you happy GP miles.

-PK
pk_del is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 16:47   #59
BHPian

Default Re: Got the delivery of my Punto EDIT: 30,000 KM Update

Updating the title to 30,000 KM Update. Update already added on 14th November.

Thanks.

-PK

Last edited by pk_del : 1st December 2011 at 16:49.
Old 1st July 2013, 12:00   #60
BHPian

Default Re: Got the delivery of my Punto EDIT: 30,000 kms update

Dear All,

Lot have changed in past 6 months. My GP has done 45 K KM and is ready to be taken to the Workshop in Bangalore.

Could someone please suggest good FIAT service center near Marthahalli/ Whitefield/ Hope farm Area?

Thanks in advance.

-PK