Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th September 2009, 09:07   #31
BHPian

Spark has good pedigree as it comes from the Matiz. I have a Matiz for the last ten years and it gave excellent service for 100000 km. I am now thinking of selling the Matiz and am in the process of choosing between Maruti Estilo (not Zen) and Spark. I think the new shape Estilo needs to be considered. The Lxi version looks good and perhaps cheaper than the Spark. The three year Spark warranty is great, but my Matiz had NO probs for the first four years! So, is Maruti Estilo (the new one) better or Spark? Need it for intra city driving and short trips only.
frequentflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 09:23   #32
Senior - BHPian

Great car with nice interiors. While the i10 also has the same beige, the Spark complements it very well with the black console and the doorpad inserts. I have a Aveo which also has the black and beige interiors/dash so maybe biased :-).

I always marvel at the Spark's huge steering wheel. It's simply much too big and is positively LCV-sized. Even my Aveo (base model - no airbags) has a smaller steering and I find it quite convenient.

Also did the similarly huge IRVM come standard or is it a aftermarket one?

All in all, a great buy and miles better than a A-Star. Get the resale issue off one's mind and very few small cars can beat the Spark!
itwasntme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 11:07   #33
BHPian

Congrats dude on a new purchase. Good decision made. I just love black on cars.
Sharing the picture of my car..
Attached Thumbnails
SPARKled with the new Black Chevrolet Spark LS-spark.jpg  

rabnawaz_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 12:09   #34
BHPian

@rabnawaz_b : That's a nice black Sparky you have. The fog lamps look cool. Are they an after market fitment? How much did you pay for these?

@itwasntme : Yes its an aftermarket fitment. I need a good wide view of the rear while driving so that was the first thing that I fitted in the car.

@frequentflyer : Well I personally prefer the looks of the older Estilo over the newer one. The extra front overhang especially when viewed from the side is the thumbs down for me. It has the A-star engine which IMHO is a little noisy and not as vibration free being a 3 cylinder pot. Also Its unlikely that the Estilo will be cheaper than the Spark but I think its a trouble free car you will be happy with either of them.
SPARKled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2009, 12:40   #35
BHPian

Yes. Thats an after market fitment. My friend has a accessories shop nearby and I got it done from him. It costed me 1200 bucks. Also, got the door visors, seat covers, wheel caps and hella horn (extra horn) done.
Old 4th September 2009, 20:03   #36
BHPian

rabnawaz, your Sparky looks like it is getting ready to fly
BomBatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 07:40   #37
BHPian

OH yes Bombatt.. It does fly on highways.
Old 7th September 2009, 08:17   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Oh no problems at all with the Spark on highways. I had a tough time chasing it on the NH4 and it took the curves and bends smoothly like my Zen. Member @Harishnayak would vouch for this.
You're right prince

@Sparkled - First of congrats on your new buy. Would like to tell you that I've done Delhi - Udaipur -Mumbai - Goa - karnataka - Indore - Delhi on my sparky in 11 days flat.

My car is fitted with HR alloys - took a lot of pain in installing them.

Anyways coming back to the handling - I did Belagaum ( in Karnataka ) to Mumbai a total of around 440 KMS in little over 5.5 hours- sounds unbelievable but true.

To tell you the car was mostly over 140kmph for most of the times without any problem at all , also while going from Udaipur to Mumbai my wife drove on the Ahmedabad hwy at over 140kmph for over good 40-50kms,

Here are a couple of pics -Feel free to ask me anything about spark - Mine has been used extensively on all terrains - Its done all the roads from Jammu to Karnataka
Attached Images

harishnayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 09:21   #39
BHPian

Harishnayak, couple of questions to you and also the spark owners on the forum.
1. I feel the braking of Spark is not that great. Do i need to do something to improve the braking? Its just done 4k on odo. And I have company installed MRF tyres.
during highspeeds, to bring the car on a sudden halt for a speedbreaker sometimes looks horrifying to me.
2. My car touches the base on many of the speed breakers, especially on the back left side. Your car looks tall. Did you increase the hieght of your car?
Old 7th September 2009, 09:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnawaz_b View Post
Harishnayak, couple of questions to you and also the spark owners on the forum.
1. I feel the braking of Spark is not that great. Do i need to do something to improve the braking? Its just done 4k on odo. And I have company installed MRF tyres.
during highspeeds, to bring the car on a sudden halt for a speedbreaker sometimes looks horrifying to me.
2. My car touches the base on many of the speed breakers, especially on the back left side. Your car looks tall. Did you increase the hieght of your car?
Well to be honest i've not faced any problems in braking however i did get the brake pads changed Rs 900 before i did this trip as there was some noise coming from the brake pads ( maybe due to winter season - it was in december in Delhi ). I did not want to take any chances as it was me , my brother and my wife going on this trip. My car had done 15k that time but havent faced any braking problems after that - its done 35 k now in 1 year.

I did increase my cars height as i installed alloys and bigger tyres - appolo arcelere although the same rim config of 13 inches. My car used to hit the back even without anyone sitting on the back seat.

Trust me the car was not looking too good with the spacers that i installed - maybe looking ok in these pictures. To tell you a month back i finally got the car lowered from the back as i was not liking the looks of it.

here is a picture before raising it - this one looks cool - Hehe atleast i think so. I would recommend you to get alloys fitted in the car and the pain that you have to go thru while getting it done. Its worth it

I also have some pics after i lowered it but some am not finding them - will post as soon as i get them.
Attached Images

Old 7th September 2009, 09:40   #41
Senior - BHPian

Good decision mate. Your observation on the difference in attitudes at Maruti and GM dealershipsis quite true. I have experienced this in Kerala. You are fully right when you said that quote 'You are welcome and thanks for visiting us' attitude of the GM dealer was a pleasant change after the 'do not care if you visit us' attitude at Maruti dealer. What has been generally seen at mariti dealerships is that the sales guys try to say things with an intent to defraud the customer.
The good behaviour and the care the customer would definitely take GM forward and this is also a reason to see more 'spark'les on the road these days.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 09:41   #42
Senior - BHPian

It also features the mud flaps here which i removed soon after i got these alloys installed - as can be seen in the pictures above.
Old 7th September 2009, 09:52   #43
BHPian

I liked the tall one. Looks like a racing car. Personally I feel you shouldnt have removed the spacers.
with 4 onboard, it gets difficult sometimes when I look at a speedbreak in front of me.
I will think of Alloys, need to check with my wife as well.
Will broad tyres improve the braking as well?
Old 7th September 2009, 10:03   #44
Senior - BHPian

Broad tyres would improve the road grip as i observed on speeds of 140+ but the FEmight take a hit as it has in my case :(. Gives me only 12.5 kmpl in city with AC
Old 7th September 2009, 10:53   #45
BHPian

Another question, will the FE go down even with the spacers? I was planning to put the spacers for my car. Also, will the athorized service centre will do the spacers work for me or do I need to take it to the local mechanic? And how much does it cost?