Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 5th September 2009, 16:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey Nitronium, firstly many congrats on the Beemer ! Awesome review and especially the attention to detail. Wanted to know whether the 3 series comes with a tiptronic or is it a normal auto.

On Mileage front, I have heard these to very good mileage. Even though over here in India the German Marques are bought by privileged few, in Europe in lot of cases they are single cars for their owners and hence require good mileage. A friend's 520d gives close to 60 MPG.
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 11:23   #17
BHPian

Thank You anekho, redeff, rajivn, NRKUMAR, blackasta, ecclipse, the VTEC guy,Indrojit Sircar, Nip, Dippy, Beejay, Marcus 520i, Rahulkool, aks_karthik & Milecruncher, for your words of appreciation!

@Milecruncher
The 320d comes with TipTronic, with the driver required to push the gear selector forward or backward to shift up or down respectively.
The driving experience with this engaged is not as satisfying as i had thought it might be. There is a slight hesitation as you try to downshift early. Almost nannying the user from destroying the engine. I would have liked to have seen the tacho blip up instantaneously as I shift down to ride the torque wave. Still, once you get used to the car's fussy nature, you will begin to enjoy this mode.

@ Rahulkool
The car is not under warranty. I think there is a clause that terminates it if there is a change in ownership.
BMW Secure+ Insurance still prevail though

Request to the mods, please merge this with the previous post

Last edited by v12 : 6th September 2009 at 13:43. Reason: As requested to be merged.
Nitronium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 17:19   #18
BHPian

Hey Nitro, cheers on buying a phenomenal car! What' definately a common realistic dream car for most! The 5 Series is too expensive. I tell my wife that the 3 Series will be the car i buy when I'm close to retirement. But here you've given me a fantasic way of realising the dream quite a few years earlier. A well maintained luxury car is well worth the buy! Your car looks totally new!

But 210kph with family in tow?! Were there only men or women/children as well? Tells a lot of the stability of the car.

Hope the shift to regular tubeless tyres from the run-flats cures the bad ride of the Beemer! BMW really needs to understand that Indian roads warrant a decent ride, even for sporty saloons.

All the best for a safe, and exhillarating life wiith the Ultimate Driving machine!
Cayman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2009, 17:36   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
Thank You anekho, redeff, rajivn, NRKUMAR, blackasta, ecclipse, the VTEC guy,Indrojit Sircar, Nip, Dippy, Beejay, Marcus 520i, Rahulkool, aks_karthik & Milecruncher, for your words of appreciation!

@Milecruncher
The 320d comes with TipTronic, with the driver required to push the gear selector forward or backward to shift up or down respectively.
The driving experience with this engaged is not as satisfying as i had thought it might be. There is a slight hesitation as you try to downshift early. Almost nannying the user from destroying the engine. I would have liked to have seen the tacho blip up instantaneously as I shift down to ride the torque wave. Still, once you get used to the car's fussy nature, you will begin to enjoy this mode.

@ Rahulkool
The car is not under warranty. I think there is a clause that terminates it if there is a change in ownership.
BMW Secure+ Insurance still prevail though

Request to the mods, please merge this with the previous post
Please cross check because this is ridiculous. With all manufacturers it is irrespective of ownership change. Also didn't you buy from a Beemer dealer. They should give you warranty isn't it?
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 12:00   #20
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Many months later, we settled on a used BMW 320d Baseline, pre-owned. And if Ronald McDonald doesn’t mind, I’m Lovin It!!
Smart decision! Congrats on buying a luxury car for a realistic amount. Considering that the cars of today easily extend to a 10 year / 2,00,000 kms life, I don't think I am buying a brand new car for a long time to come.

Plus, looking at the pictures, it is hard to tell the age of the car. Germans age extremely well.

Quote:
The rear is a little less dramatic.
Actually love the tidy rear. Think its the best part of the bangle'd 3 series (followed by the side profile).

Quote:
The alloys are wrapped in 205/55 R16 Bridgestone Potenza runflats.
Do upgrade to regular michelins when these wear out. The ride & handling will be far superior.

Quote:
Every single part of the interiors reeks of the highest quality, leaving you feeling very pampered. I could find no parts of poor quality save the ashtray cover on the rear aircon blower.
Compared to my C220 (which the 320D competed against at the time of launch), the Bimmers interior quality is at an entirely different level. Perfectly screwed together and seemingly high part quality.

Quote:
It is uncomfortable bad roads.
Price you pay for that handling. Get regular rubber, the ride will noticeably improved. BMW "softened" the 3 series based on market feedback in 2008. And it lost its driving edge.

Quote:
That's ridiculous. Do check again, BMW India are known to have very customer-centric policies. If this clause does exist, shame on them.

This is really a heck of a review. Comprehensive & unbiased. Rated 5 stars + link on the home page. Thanks for sharing your 320d experience with us.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2009, 15:56   #21
BHPian

Default Awesome!

Great to see a BMW 320d review!! she looks gorgeous , beyond words.

210km??? WOW!!

btw how much did it cost? I suspect around 24 L, or is it confidential?

Last edited by rageshgr : 7th September 2009 at 15:59.
rageshgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 11:36   #22
BHPian

Default Superb Review

Superb review. Well written. Please do keep updating your ownership experience with details of maintenance costs and repairs and money spent for the same. That will be very useful for people with limited means dying to buy a pre owned BEEMER and not being sure how much the car is going to cost to live with
53BHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 11:44   #23
BHPian

I always looked at the 320D as the most practical sports car in India rather than a luxo sedan. You go have fun!!
redeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 17:51   #24
BHPian

@cayman360, rageshgr, 53BHP
Thanks a bunch! I shall keep updating this thread, and any details on the costs can be acquired by PMing me

@GTO
WOW! That really is awesome. Thank you!!

And about the warranty, i do believe that my information is accurate, as per the conversation we had with the salesperson prior to buying the car. Anyway, there is always room for for inaccuracy. I shall confirm again and post the details here soon.

@redeff
Sure. Provided the keys are tossed in my direction often enough
Old 8th September 2009, 18:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nitronium, awesome review. I actually liked the back view. Looks clean and classy. You should take her on the GQ to Bangalore or on the ECR to Pondy if you havent done so already. Congrats!
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 19:30   #26
BHPian

Dude, share the pics of the interiors
Ranjimso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 21:17   #27
BHPian

Congrats buddy!!!

A bimmer is an ultimate pleasure! and am sure you would sleep in it if given an option.
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2009, 22:23   #28
BHPian

@ Gilead
Thanks man! Well we've driven down to Kerala in the car, and the Madurai-Trichy stretch has some of the finest tarmac i've driven on. The ECR and GQ are still yet to be tamed, but hell i have a feeling they'll follow soon enough

@Ranjimso
Sure. Give me a day or so to snap a few decent pics yeah?

@akhilesh
Well, i certainly would my friend. But if i'm in it, i doubt i'd sleep as much as i'd drive that thing till the ends of the earth!
Old 10th September 2009, 12:23   #29
BHPian

the accord makes you feel old!!! typical uncle ji car
this car makes you giggle like a little girl!!

congratulations!!
Caramelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 10:57   #30
BHPian

Very Well written review Nitronium. With those wonderfully detailed pictures and equally detailed and enthusiastic writing the report was quite entertaining. It would be quite interesting to hear about the car in its long term usage.

Now you have the ultimate driving machine. Enjoy driving.
princemanatt is offline   Reply With Quote