Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 20:24   #181
BHPian
 
TORQUED's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 84
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

Amazing Review and Picture Documentation, The Reviews Here Are Better Than Most Magazine, Indian Magazines Are not Neutral When It Comes To Car Reviews, All They Seem To Do Is Praise The Car And Highlight The Good Features, They Dont Write About The Downside Ever!!
TORQUED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2009, 23:53   #182
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: BLR / NGO
Posts: 284
Thanked: 159 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
The small mirror fixed on the left fender (not bonnet) is something all Toyota SUV's had for a long long time. Here it is offered as a dealer accessory.

I wish you knew the facts before blaming companies.
It should actually be all of us banging the heads of our regulation makers into this wall .

All vehicles sold in India need to undergo a process called homologation (carried out at ARAI)

All projeting items on a vehicle (exterior & interior) do not qualify under these regulations because they possibly can pose a possible danger to the occupants in the car or those onthe road in the event of an accident.

It is for the same reason that we cant have Audio systems with Jazzy button and funky looking controls. All items on the car must have rounded edges blah blah blah and so on.

So a fender mirror cannot be made an OE item and hence the accesosry route.

Same applies for Endeavour, where the rear door mirro is offered as an accessory, and the fender pole on the Innova (which though projecting, is made of soft flexible plastic).

I hope it clarifies.
karpusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 11:16   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,818
Thanked: 334 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
I wish you knew the facts before blaming companies.
It should actually be all of us banging the heads of our regulation makers into this wall .

All vehicles sold in India need to undergo a process called homologation (carried out at ARAI)

All projeting items on a vehicle (exterior & interior) do not qualify under these regulations because they possibly can pose a possible danger to the occupants in the car or those onthe road in the event of an accident.

It is for the same reason that we cant have Audio systems with Jazzy button and funky looking controls. All items on the car must have rounded edges blah blah blah and so on.

So a fender mirror cannot be made an OE item and hence the accesosry route.

Same applies for Endeavour, where the rear door mirro is offered as an accessory, and the fender pole on the Innova (which though projecting, is made of soft flexible plastic).

I hope it clarifies.

Dont get it. Who is blaming the company ? All I said it is a dealer accessory, period.

Thanks though for enlightening us on the ARAI regulations.


@dippy

I specifically asked the dealer about a possible engine upgrade, he said they had no information on the engine change. I agree that the current engine with the auto tranny will do little good for the Pajero. Wonder why they can't have a 3.2L engine as atleast an option. Personally I still like the dated Pajero in the looks department.






Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 12th September 2009 at 11:19.
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2009, 12:12   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
suman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 4,588
Thanked: 256 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karpusv View Post
All projeting items on a vehicle (exterior & interior) do not qualify under these regulations because they possibly can pose a possible danger to the occupants in the car or those onthe road in the event of an accident.

So a fender mirror cannot be made an OE item and hence the accesosry route.
Thanks for sharing, this is something I wasn't aware of. Just wondering, how do the various types of OSRVMs get approval from ARAI then - considering that all of them project outwards & some of them definitely do not have anywhere near rounded edges

On the contrary, most of the fendor mirrors that I've seen are quite nicely rounded.

Ricky, if only they launch it with a Common Rail at under 18 lacs.....sigggghhh, wishful thinking
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2009, 17:26   #185
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: bhopal
Posts: 8
Thanked: 0 Times
Default agree sir

yes i fully agree with this view, this is a bit overprized and its value will be truly known once more and more people get it...
deepaktiwari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 11:20   #186
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 45,668
Thanked: 75,692 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Thanks for sharing, this is something I wasn't aware of. Just wondering, how do the various types of OSRVMs get approval from ARAI then - considering that all of them project outwards & some of them definitely do not have anywhere near rounded edges
Wild card entry : Could be due to the fact that they are mounted on the side, unlike the bonnet type that we are discussing here? The bonnet-mounted mirror could hamper pedestrian safety?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 11:32   #187
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Tejas@perioimpl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 3,912
Thanked: 4,611 Times
Default

OT: If anyone is really interested in the ARAI rules regarding mirror specifications, etc, read this:
automotive industry standards automotive EMC standard ISO standard ECE EMI compliance
Contains pdfs of all specifications and is very very very exhaustive.

@MODS, should we start a new thread on ARAI regulations and discuss them there?

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 14th September 2009 at 11:36. Reason: typo
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 15:49   #188
BHPian
 
Manuuj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Delhi.
Posts: 615
Thanked: 1,017 Times
Default

Guys i drove the 3 litre new endy automatic today..found it to be a bit slow on the upshift and downshift..the engine had a loud boom that could be heard in the cabin also.

The sales guy was insisting that it was more spacious than the Fortuner.

Can anyone confirm this with actual interior dimension data?

He also said that the vehicle would be delivered mid to end October if i booked today.

I think ill wait for my Fortuner! Its going to be the 514th Fortuner to be delivered By Galaxy Toyota New Delhi..they have delivered only 64 so far!!...

Looks like its going to be a long wait!

Last edited by Manuuj : 14th September 2009 at 15:50.
Manuuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 16:58   #189
BHPian
 
anilkalvani's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bandra West, Bombay
Posts: 626
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Just got a mailer from Pete's
"Are you fortunate enough to have a 200BHP FORTUNER?"

Increase Power upto 200Bhp and torque upto 400Nm. With info on the Green Cotton Air filter & Bilstein B6.

Wicked!
anilkalvani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 17:11   #190
BHPian
 
Manuuj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New Delhi.
Posts: 615
Thanked: 1,017 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilkalvani View Post
Just got a mailer from Pete's
"Are you fortunate enough to have a 200BHP FORTUNER?"

Increase Power upto 200Bhp and torque upto 400Nm. With info on the Green Cotton Air filter & Bilstein B6.

Wicked!
WOW! that is pretty wicked..do you think the warranty would get voided?

Will need a brakes upgrade too with all that extra power!
Manuuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 18:49   #191
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 45,668
Thanked: 75,692 Times
Default

This guy sure doesn't waste any time. Think about it, 35 grand for a tuning box and you have a Fortuner that can do the 0 - 100 in 10.xx seconds

EDIT : Let's hope he comes out with better pads / discs too. With 200 BHP, the Fortuner sure could use superior brakes.

Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-petes.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 14th September 2009 at 18:55.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 18:56   #192
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 21,789
Thanked: 12,852 Times
Default

Is he also providing an upgrade for the brakes?
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2009, 19:30   #193
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,077
Thanked: 1,756 Times
Default

My my! Pete has transformed the monster to become meaner and badder! It will put out exactly as much power as a BMW 525d !
Is this just a simple stage 1 tuning box upgrade or does it require other components which are needed in stage 2?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 08:46   #194
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,818
Thanked: 334 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
My my! Pete has transformed the monster to become meaner and badder! It will put out exactly as much power as a BMW 525d !
Is this just a simple stage 1 tuning box upgrade or does it require other components which are needed in stage 2?

It is his usual "magic box" so guess one could call it stage one. Stage 2 ? Don't think it has yet appreared for the fortuner. Do we need it ??

As GTO said "pete's does not waste any time" I got the mailer too yesterday & I went WOW !!!







Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2009, 08:56   #195
Senior - BHPian
 
Ricky_63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,818
Thanked: 334 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
Guys i drove the 3 litre new endy automatic today..found it to be a bit slow on the upshift and downshift..the engine had a loud boom that could be heard in the cabin also.

The sales guy was insisting that it was more spacious than the Fortuner.

Can anyone confirm this with actual interior dimension data?

He also said that the vehicle would be delivered mid to end October if i booked today.

I think ill wait for my Fortuner! Its going to be the 514th Fortuner to be delivered By Galaxy Toyota New Delhi..they have delivered only 64 so far!!...

Looks like its going to be a long wait!

Just curious, did you get to drive the XTL 4X2 as well, just wanted to know the driving impression, most importantly the suspension (which used to be pathetic on the old gen Endy)



Thanks
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st-gen Hyundai i20 (2008 - 2014) : Review GTO Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 875 15th May 2017 01:44
Scoop! Next-gen Toyota Fortuner spotted. EDIT: Preview on page 14 Shai100 The Indian Car Scene 558 23rd January 2017 02:00
Toyota inaugurates engine production plant in Karnataka for Innova Crysta and next-gen Fortuner MunnabhaiMBBS The Indian Car Scene 10 5th August 2016 16:07
1st-gen Toyota Innova production comes to an end coolboy007 The Indian Car Scene 76 22nd March 2016 23:23
Toyota Fortuner vs Upcoming Face-Lifted Toyota Fortuner dkaile SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 45 12th August 2011 22:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks