Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th September 2009, 16:22   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
Out of 7000 bookings, I wonder how many of them have test driven this vehicle before booking. Like they say, "It happens only in India"!
Very True. But at least they have considered Toyota's bullet proof reliability.

However above is better than what happens in our elections, millions vote for a unheard of person, or for even certfied scoundrels.

Like they say, "It happens only in India"
akj53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 17:11   #287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Out of 7000 bookings, I wonder how many of them have test driven this vehicle before booking. Like they say, "It happens only in India"!
Interesting you mention this. I was talking to GTO yesterday and he mentioned an interesting stat :

"3/4th of Indians buy cars without even test-driving."*

...and in this case, being a toyota in high demand, im sure the proportion is much higher.

cya
R

* I'm not sure what the source of this information was, will let GTO mention that.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 17:37   #288
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Could be that the city your friend bought it from has lesser demand. I saw this during the Maruti Zen wait period days. People frequently bought cars from smaller towns, drove down to Mumbai and got it registered themselves / through a local RTO agent.
The small city is Delhi. And he has taken delivery of car registered in his name day before yesterday!
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2009, 19:18   #289
bhp
BHPian

@sudev...that is really quick but is there any drift getting delivery so early from delhi because there is somebody on the forum who has booked his fortuner from galaxy toyota and expecting delivery in 2010...he also mentions his booking is 514th in galaxy toyota
bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 07:14   #290
BHPian

Default Excellent Report!

Excellent Reporting GTO. My hat's off to you.

I however agree with Veyron1's take on the price. When they clearly have it priced a few more lakhs over Innova elsewhere globally, why is it twice the price over here?

I was one of those people who wanted Fortuner a couple of years ago, but this pricing does put a significant damper on it.

Isn't Fortuner priced similar to a Hyundai Terracan? May be Terracan was in the Rs.19L and it was a legit 4x4 too if I recall correctly.
THE-U- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 17:29   #291
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp View Post
@sudev...that is really quick but is there any drift getting delivery so early from delhi because there is somebody on the forum who has booked his fortuner from galaxy toyota and expecting delivery in 2010...he also mentions his booking is 514th in galaxy toyota
That happens to be me! My Booking number is 514 at Galaxy Toyota..and i have been told to wait till early 2010.

@Sudev..Do congratulate your friend for getting his Fortuner so fast and that too without having to book!..

I shall not complain about having to wait for so many months even after making a valid booking, as soon as the car was officially launched!!

..as they say "all's fair in love and war"!
Manuuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 17:46   #292
Distinguished - BHPian

No one has feedback on vibrations from drive shaft at low speeds? As I said 40kmph in 4th in a 3litre diesel with loads of torque on paper is suspicious to me. By comparison SX4/Swift/Alto/Armada - that's all I could lay hands on to test out in last few days apart from my GV - are able to take that combination.
Is the cars dead weight (gross weight) too much? Wondering.
sudev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2009, 18:15   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Interesting you mention this. I was talking to GTO yesterday and he mentioned an interesting stat :

"3/4th of Indians buy cars without even test-driving."*

* I'm not sure what the source of this information was, will let GTO mention that.
Quote:
I know of a guy, a friend of mine, who called up a dealer told him his budget and said I want a car and now. Three days later he had an alto delivered at his doorstep. Talk about TD, he dint even know which vehicle or color till the time it arrived. Unbelievable but true.
cpyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 10:59   #294
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
By the way , i spoke to the salesperson handling my booking..Galaxy Toyota are delivering their 121st Fortuner today.

Mine is number 514!..but the good news was that the salesperson was confident that i could get my car in January itself as opposed to end March, which suits me perfectly as i don't want a 2009 model year car anyway and January 2010 sounds perfect!
Jan 2010 may still mean 2009 model year (Date of manufacturing) so it might make sense to tell the dealer that you are prepared to wait till end Jan if required but the manufaturing date must be 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Somewhere or everywhere the Tata Safari DNA is noticable or is it vice-versa.
Can't be viceversa as the safari design in 1998 vintage. Now the new soon to come safari without rear door mounted wheel may seem to be even more fortuner like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Ah. Finally. Got time to test the car yesterday. My observations;

And yes. Lest I forget. Toyota salespeople are a bit sensitive. Don't get me wrong, but the exec who sat with me was slightly "apprehensive". He was really scared to see the car do 110 on a small/cracked (empty) patch of road, who kept saying "Sir this is the only test vehicle we have, please be careful". This, compared to the lovely Mitsubishi executives who used to ask "Sir, try turning the knob to 4WD auto if want to drift the Outlander. You'll be able to step the rear out more. The previous customer tried with it 4WD locked, and the car didn't break traction...."

The Outlander misubishi guys need to do this to get sales, the toyota guys need to retain their only demo vehicle.
Quote:
Also the buy to demo ratio for the fortuner seems to be 1:10, though maybe 50% of the buyers (with lots of dough) bought it initially without testing the fortuner, the number of testers who are going for the tests but are either not impressed or are just curous but not serious buyers seems to be 10 times more than the actually buyers lined up. The demo queue and a wait at the millenium toyota lounge with others waiting for the demo atleast seems to indicate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post

I however agree with Veyron1's take on the price. When they clearly have it priced a few more lakhs over Innova elsewhere globally, why is it twice the price over here?

Isn't Fortuner priced similar to a Hyundai Terracan? May be Terracan was in the Rs.19L and it was a legit 4x4 too if I recall correctly.
Yep the early expectation was max of 15L landing at about 17-18 max, and this has gone up over time.

Terracam was priced higher.

The Toyota guys can milk us for the money currently - the demand hits at that - so why shouldn't they do it, makes business sense.

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st October 2009 at 20:32. Reason: Quote fixed.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 11:04   #295
Senior - BHPian

While on the topic of Fortuner bookings, my neighbour got his Fortuner delivered on Saturday 26th of September. He told me he had booked the car in May.
Dippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 11:39   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
The small city is Delhi. And he has taken delivery of car registered in his name day before yesterday!

Sudev ji, Now can we have the name of the dealer who delivered this car almost instantaneously.

Also, congrats to your friend of his new purchase too!

BTW, Which color?
car_crazy1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 11:39   #297

speaking on the subject of the fortuner, the vehicle in itself is not appealing interior-wise. it sports very similar interiors like the innova which is due to the imv platform that these two vehicles share. here in dubai, it goes without a second-look but in our country it is a different ball game altogether. i could not get to see the vehicle when i went to the dealership this month in trichy. the representative said they are not taking anymore bookings and that the vehicle will be delivered only after 1-1/2 years! now now, thats going to be another swift story here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
While on the topic of Fortuner bookings, my neighbour got his Fortuner delivered on Saturday 26th of September. He told me he had booked the car in May.
az.shahulhameed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 11:43   #298
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
but from what I could gather, the car is not thrown off balance at those speeds over potholes; the suspension just "thuds" at broken patches, unlike say
True. It feels good at high speed by SUV standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
In a span of 30 days after the Fortuner’s launch, Toyota Kirloskar Motor received bookings for 7,000 vehicles, which is roughly 10 times more than what the other companies sold collectively in the month of August this year.
Up to 7000 now! What this effectively means is that Toyota's monthly production of 600 (revised up from 500) is used up entirely by on-hand bookings themselves.

Quote:
Last month, Ford India saw an 85% drop in sales of its Endeavour over the corresponding period last year. When contacted, a Ford India spokesman refused to comment.
Of course he'd refuse to comment . Honestly, the facelifted Endy was around the corner too, that also would have contributed to the drop in sales.

Quote:
That's awesome! I'd never expected it to be Delhi, your friend is lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE-U- View Post
I however agree with Veyron1's take on the price
The cost of production has little to do with the onroad price. Look at the Fortuner's price relative to its competition. At the time of launch, it was 2 lakhs cheaper than the Pajero & the Captiva, and about a lakh more than the Endeavour. Of course, expect massive price corrections (Chevy already cut by 2 lakhs) by the others to bring their SUVs down to Fortuner levels. Ford made a very smart move by using the "automatic tranny" USP at 50,000 cheaper than the Fortuner. Let's see if the market bites / is ready for automatics.

My only grouse is that they should have offered more equipment for the price. At the least, adjustable lumbar support + telescopic steering (two must-haves IMO). But well, its a Toyota & Honda thing in India & several other markets worldwide.

Quote:
No one has feedback on vibrations from drive shaft at low speeds? As I said 40kmph in 4th in a 3litre diesel with loads of torque on paper is suspicious to me.
None of us really noticed this. Could it be due to a tall 4th gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Jan 2010 may still mean 2009 model year (Date of manufacturing) so it might make sense to tell the dealer that you are prepared to wait till end Jan if required but the manufaturing date must be 2010.
Smart point ACM. Fortuner buyers would do well in adhering to your advice.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 11:47   #299
Senior - BHPian

With so many bookings and such a long wait list, wonder why dealers bother to call for buying a Fortuner. Have had 2-3 calls in the last week from Toyota dealers about Fortuner, Camry, Altis, etc (even a Landcruiser!!)
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2009, 13:08   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Nice point there testosterone.

But with these many bookings, are these dealers giving any attention to new buyers? I doubt they even offer a test drive from their side!

On other note, fortuner might pull 40kmph on 4th gear but with heavy vibrations and engine knocking.
Dante is offline   Reply With Quote