Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd October 2009, 16:11   #316
BHPian

I agree it has imposing road presence. However, I guess it is an Indian mindset that when one spends 20L on a car, they would expect the bells and whistles. At least I would.
rosh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:43   #317
Senior - BHPian

Haing driven the Fortuner from the very First Lot, I admit it is nice to drive, but a plain jane all the way. And no I do not go off-roading so 4X4 is not a must for me.

How do you guys rate the Captiva LT 4X2 @ 18.20L on road Delhi ?? Is it worth the extra "goodies"

My impression of driving one (Captiva) was that the engine at low revs is left wanting inspite of a VGT, anyone who uses a Captiva has anything nice (or bad) to say about it ? How about after sales ? Cost of parts I am told are cheaper than any other SUV in the segment.

Impressions will be appreciated.

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 18:52   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Haing driven the Fortuner from the very First Lot, I admit it is nice to drive, but a plain jane all the way. And no I do not go off-roading so 4X4 is not a must for me.

How do you guys rate the Captiva LT 4X2 @ 18.20L on road Delhi ?? Is it worth the extra "goodies"

My impression of driving one (Captiva) was that the engine at low revs is left wanting inspite of a VGT, anyone who uses a Captiva has anything nice (or bad) to say about it ? How about after sales ? Cost of parts I am told are cheaper than any other SUV in the segment.

Impressions will be appreciated.

Cheers
The Captiva at that price is VFM. Although it is not a BIG SUV, it packs a lot of punch and features. I had test driven it last year and the only real flaw I found was turbo lag. And interior space (only because I was comparing it to replace my endeavour which is much bigger)
The interior quality is top notch. I might just be considering it over the Fortuner because I am quite sick of waiting. Although my father is keen on the freelander2 instead. I know that is in a whole different league but I am yet not convinced on a compact SUV. To me SUV's have always needed to be big.

Btw: I doubt the Captiva after the price drop would come to 18.2 OTR. The ex-showroom itself is 17.7 and being a CBU it is taxed higher too.

Last edited by Sahil : 2nd October 2009 at 18:54.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 19:39   #319
Team-BHP Support

Been in Thailand past week. Fortuners are everywhere. Hardly any Innova's. As common as Honda City's over here!
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 21:01   #320
Team-BHP Support

I saw a "Fortuner for sale done 400kms, Black" in Hindustan times classifieds today.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2009, 21:08   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
The Captiva at that price is VFM. Although it is not a BIG SUV, it packs a lot of punch and features. I had test driven it last year and the only real flaw I found was turbo lag. And interior space (only because I was comparing it to replace my endeavour which is much bigger)
The interior quality is top notch. I might just be considering it over the Fortuner because I am quite sick of waiting. Although my father is keen on the freelander2 instead. I know that is in a whole different league but I am yet not convinced on a compact SUV. To me SUV's have always needed to be big.

Btw: I doubt the Captiva after the price drop would come to 18.2 OTR. The ex-showroom itself is 17.7 and being a CBU it is taxed higher too.
Sahil, why don't you consider Captiva LTZ priced at 19.17 Lacs Ex. S.
I believe that auto transmission helps contain the problem of turbo lag to some extent. It also has ESP (w Traction Control), HDC and HBA which is missing in Manual variant (LT), Endy and Captiva. Infact Captiva LTZ is the only pseudo SUV in it's segment which boasts of these safety features. When you take all the features into perspective, the pricing is just unbeatable for a CBU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Been in Thailand past week. Fortuners are everywhere. Hardly any Innova's. As common as Honda City's over here!
If Fortuner would have priced at what it's priced in Thailand, it would have been all over the places in India and Safari, Scorpio and others - R.I.P.!
In fact, this is true for bucketful of other cars.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd October 2009 at 01:06. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button in the future. Thanks.
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 09:29   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post

I agree on the Turbo lag bit.

BTW the car costs 17.45 Ex-Showroom + Regn & Road tax. This is what it would cost me here in Gurgaon. Black / Silver / White is available ex-stock.

I should be looking at this more seriously I guess. Tuscon is another option at 17.09L on road. With used Tuscon going for around 8L spend a Lac on sprucing it up & one has a small albeit comfortable SUV for around 9L

Thanks
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 14:38   #323
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Seen few Fortuners on road now and must say it has an imposing road presence, none other vehicle in its price+another 2-3 lakhs has that much personality.
Whoever saw the Fortuner (while we were testing) said it looked like a more expensive SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosh2 View Post
I agree it has imposing road presence. However, I guess it is an Indian mindset that when one spends 20L on a car, they would expect the bells and whistles. At least I would.
Rightly so. You can extend that statement to Toyota & Honda both.

Quote:
My impression of driving one (Captiva) was that the engine at low revs is left wanting inspite of a VGT, anyone who uses a Captiva has anything nice (or bad) to say about it ?
The good bits about the Captiva are:

1. Quality
2. Looks & excellent build
3. Spacious + nice interiors (front and middle row only)
4. Stonker of a diesel engine

The bad:

1. Annoying turbolag in the city.
2. 2WD variant has unsorted handling + ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
If Fortuner would have priced at what it's priced in Thailand
Not only the Fortuner, Indian taxes & pricing structures apply to ALL cars sold in India. We pay more for our cars than most other parts of the world.

Not to forget, you can thank the Fortuner's aggressive Indian pricing to make things better for the 20 lakh SUV customer. Everyone else has upgraded their products overnight, or put price corrections in place.

Fact is : The Fortuner made everyone else look overpriced.

Quote:
Tuscon is another option at 17.09L on road.
Personally, I'd choose a Tucson over the Captiva any which day. It's a balanced SUV, very neutral, spacious, nice ride & handling and a great engine.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2009, 23:45   #324
BHPian

Sorry for going O/T -

Chiptuning von RaceChip - Prof. Motor Tuning gnadenlos preiswert

Has anyone tried this one? Is this something different from PETE's (PSI)? Any feedback?
Old 4th October 2009, 17:45   #325
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Has anyone tried this one? Is this something different from PETE's (PSI)? Any feedback?
All of these diesel power boxes, including Petes, are basically the same. They sent the wrong message to the ECU, telling it that the engine needs more fuel, the ECU responds by increasing diesel delivery and voila = More power! Actually very simple mods.

Related Linky
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 19:37   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not only the Fortuner, Indian taxes & pricing structures apply to ALL cars sold in India. We pay more for our cars than most other parts of the world.

Not to forget, you can thank the Fortuner's aggressive Indian pricing to make things better for the 20 lakh SUV customer. Everyone else has upgraded their products overnight, or put price corrections in place.

Fact is : The Fortuner made everyone else look overpriced.
I agree with the fact however 1-Testosterone has a point. Elsewhere Fortuner is priced at Innova + 25%. In India, it is priced at Innova + 60%. So while it makes other SUVs look pricier, considering it is made on IMV platform and shares several bits with Innova, it is overpriced.

At the end of the day, demand for fortuner far outstrips the supply. I believe Toyota could have gotten almost the same response if they had priced it a bit more. It also tells us about the lack of reliable, refined SUV options in India between 14 - 20 L.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2009, 21:02   #327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
All of these diesel power boxes, including Petes, are basically the same. They sent the wrong message to the ECU, telling it that the engine needs more fuel, the ECU responds by increasing diesel delivery and voila = More power! Actually very simple mods.

Related Linky
Thanks for the link and information. So do you advise against tuning say (Fortuner and Captiva) or, are the boxes are meant for short term use only (for enthusiasts) and not for regular/prolonged use?
Old 4th October 2009, 23:18   #328
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks for the link and information. So do you advise against tuning say (Fortuner and Captiva) or, are the boxes are meant for short term use only (for enthusiasts) and not for regular/prolonged use?
not at all. ive used a petes box on my innova for 45k kms with nothing going wrong.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 01:51   #329
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
not at all. ive used a petes box on my innova for 45k kms with nothing going wrong.
Its like somebody at 45 saying 'ive smoked all my life and i am still alive'
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2009, 02:49   #330
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Its like somebody at 45 saying 'ive smoked all my life and i am still alive'
upto you how you percieve it. just giving an example. i would trust petes.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote