Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th March 2010, 12:02   #451
BHPian

Guys
I just now enquired with cochin dealer. They don't have any info regarding brake upgrade. The funny thing is that I get one call a day from toyota customer care but gets disconnected when I say hello. Its happening for the last five days. So much for the famed toyota customer service.
Cheers
Dilip
dilipkumar7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2010, 18:08   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilipkumar7278 View Post
Guys
I just now enquired with cochin dealer. They don't have any info regarding brake upgrade. The funny thing is that I get one call a day from toyota customer care but gets disconnected when I say hello. Its happening for the last five days. So much for the famed toyota customer service.
Cheers
Dilip
Come on! Give the devil its due, a phoneline connection cannot be blamed as poor customer service. I got a call back from Toyota within an hour of having sent them a query via their website, now that's customer service !
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 09:22   #453
Distinguished - BHPian

@dilip:

As I mentioned earlier, there is no such thing as a Brake upgrade for the Fortuner available from the Dealer/Company. So, I am not sure what you are expecting from Toyota..

If Toyota really wants to address the braking issue pointed out by many owners, they will have to issue a recall/retrofit. In order to do this, they would have to first acknowledge an issue. Due to legal implications, they won't admit issues with brakes unless they plan to provide a fix.

In the USA, NHTSA can order a mandatory recall if the manufacturer doesn't voluntarily recall/fix an issue that is prevalent across multiple cars and can be proven. Unfortunately in India, I am not sure if we have any such body that can make manufacturers issue a recall.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 10:47   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
See the below thread:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1755707-post9.html

I don't know whether I am exaggerating, but does this mean that whenever one sees a speeding Toyota SUV on the rear view mirror, one should give way.

I am extremely disappointed with Toyota. I have been seriously considering the Fortuner as an upgrade.

Mods, sorry for the back to back posts. Please merge them.
While one hopes Toyota's famed continuous improvement in prod development will recover and solve this before something ugly happens, its a good thing , there are not too many fortuners on the road. I thought the Toyota bashing in the US press was strategic; but this seems to be an indicator of Toyota values getting eroded .
Ravich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 10:52   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
In the USA, NHTSA can order a mandatory recall if the manufacturer doesn't voluntarily recall/fix an issue that is prevalent across multiple cars and can be proven. Unfortunately in India, I am not sure if we have any such body that can make manufacturers issue a recall.
Then only option remaining is not to buy that vehicle.

But here, in India, market seems to be doing the opposite, considering the waiting period for Fortuner.

Is this the initial euphoria? Or do they don't care?

What are legal implications (in India) on the manufacturer if the car is involved in an accident that could have been avoided with better brakes?
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 11:10   #456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Come on! Give the devil its due, a phoneline connection cannot be blamed as poor customer service. I got a call back from Toyota within an hour of having sent them a query via their website, now that's customer service !
Sahil
Then how come they have not called me a second time? All these days I get single call a day. If they really want to address my problem they would have tried a second time.Also what's the problem wih their phoneline all these days? They can definitely try with another line...You have to understand the plight of many owners who spent 20 lakhs on a vehicle which does not have confidence inspiring brakes...
Old 7th March 2010, 11:33   #457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sahil
Then how come they have not called me a second time? All these days I get single call a day. If they really want to address my problem they would have tried a second time.Also what's the problem wih their phoneline all these days? They can definitely try with another line...You have to understand the plight of many owners who spent 20 lakhs on a vehicle which does not have confidence inspiring brakes...
Dilip, did you try calling them back?
Old 7th March 2010, 11:41   #458
BHPian

Quote:
Dilip, did you try calling them back?

Yes sbraj I have called them in that number but it seems busy always...
Just now i have shot another mail to toyota. Hope it serves the purpose..
Cheers
Dilip
Old 7th March 2010, 11:46   #459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes sbraj I have called them in that number but it seems busy always...
Probably a call center number.

Quote:
Just now i have shot another mail to toyota. Hope it serves the purpose..
There are threads (this one plus others) in this forum discussing breaking issue of Toyota SUVs. In your mail you could refer to these threads. I would expect a better response from Toyota, considering that the issue is being discussed in a wider audience.

Do not try to provoke/intimidate while referring to this forum. At the end of the day, all we want is a better brake on the car. Nothing else.
Old 7th March 2010, 13:38   #460
BHPian

Quote:
But here, in India, market seems to be doing the opposite, considering the waiting period for Fortuner.
Yes, Toyota enjoys a incredible fan following here (especially when it comes to SUV's). Hell, most of people would still but it if all 4 of them were drum brakes (I don't know whether it can be realistic); such is the charisma of Toyota SUV's.

It's real sad to know that they're not offering all 4 disc brakes for a near 20 Lac SUV.
1-Testosterone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2010, 10:31   #461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-Testosterone View Post
It's real sad to know that they're not offering all 4 disc brakes for a near 20 Lac SUV.
How many of their competitiors in the 20 lakh category offer rear disc brakes? As far as I know only Pajero 2.8 is available with rear discs. It all boils down to competition. Some other manufacturer has to give them a run for their money.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 13:22   #462
BHPian

I had gone for a road trip to Rajasthan a couple of weeks ago.

Drove around 1150 km at speeds of up to 160 kmph.

Brakes were NOT an issue at all. Had to brake hard a few times at speeds over 130 kmph but faced no problems at all. Maybe it takes time to get used to the brakes and the long brake pedal travel.

I will say this..the brakes deploy very well when pressed hard and also when you go down a gear when braking..apart from that there is a sense of a lack of brake bite when lightly pressing the brake pedal, but nothing too hairy.

On the whole the brakes have never let me down and have always made the vehicle come to a smooth and complete stop when needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-12022010857.jpg  

Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner-13022010909.jpg  

Manuuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 16:02   #463
BHPian

Guys! For a second opinion from the dealers, I went to Uttam Toyota yesterday & the sales head guy there confirmed, what my friend at Toyota India had said, that Fortuners being delivered from now onwards (including March) are having better brakes, when I asked regarding the changes being made, He said he did not know exactly what changes were made.

Also, when I asked about the plight of the existing customers, he said that they were changing the brakes (i dunno what parts) in selective vehicle, who come there often with brake complaints. And that Toyota is not going to openly acknowledge its mistake of getting poor brakes as it will lead to bad publicity.

Last edited by car_crazy1400 : 10th March 2010 at 16:04.
car_crazy1400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 16:18   #464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post
Also, when I asked about the plight of the existing customers, he said that they were changing the brakes (i dunno what parts) in selective vehicle, who come there often with brake complaints. And that Toyota is not going to openly acknowledge its mistake of getting poor brakes as it will lead to bad publicity.
So the trick is to pester the dealer with complaints until the brakes are changed?

No proactiveness from Toyota?

Why are they waiting for some unfortunate accident to happen?
Old 10th March 2010, 17:58   #465
BHPian

Even the Sales guy said that he was tired of people complaining about poor brake pedal response as this is a very powerful vehicle equipped with 4x4 & hence it needed powerful brakes. I mean the just 'coz the vehicle has a 4x4 system, it will need better brakes?

Infact the guy owned upto all this just because I was taking delivery of an Innova V model from him.

Now just waiting for Toyota to deliver my Fortuner. And to top it all, no one at the dealership is keen on me being their customer, as the booking was made by my friend, who is a manager at Toyota, so whenever I ask anything about the status of my car, they just tell me to ask my friend ..
car_crazy1400 is online now   Reply With Quote