Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th April 2010, 17:53   #496
BHPian

My Fortuner definately has upgraded brakes and all vehicles manufactured from March 2010 onwards are supposed to be having upgraded brakes and i got it confirmed from a guy who is the territory manager for Delhi in Toyota kirloslar motors India.

I have done about 4800 odd kms till now, and the brakes work still fine, though are getting a little spongy, but nothing one can't live with.

Easiest way to recognise the upgraded brakes is that the upgraded ones have a silver colored brake calipers (visible through the front rims), while the earlier versions had a much smaller golden plating on the calipers(IIRC).
Though i think that Sahil feels that the brakes are poor due to the fact that the pedal is spongy as compared to any other saloon car or even the Innova, in my case.

But even while decelerating from speeds upto 130 kmph, one just has to push the pedal firmly.Beyond those speeds brakes do work, but get some what scary. These are definately not feather touch brakes.
But i'm very happy with the vehicle.
car_crazy1400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 19:34   #497

I took the delivery of my second fortuner in december 09 and have got the brakes changed today. As car_crazy has pointed out, the difference is in the brake caliper.
Will update on the difference felt once I put some kms on the ODO after the brake upgrade.
This was the 20000km service for my fortuner.

-R

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st April 2010 at 13:03. Reason: Post edited. Please don't post videos of top speed runs on public roads. Thanks.
jatm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 22:34   #498
BHPian

A friend of mine told me that a five speed automatic transmission is likely to be offered in the Fortuner by September,2010. Is it just a rumor or there is some truth in this ?
S.B.Jatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 10:55   #499
Distinguished - BHPian

@bhp & car_crazy: Yes I did mention my chassis/engine number to Toyota. My car is getting it's brake kit upgrade as I type. Just got off the phone with the service advisor at Madhuban Toyota and ask him how come my brakes are weak since all March cars have upgraded brakes, he said that cars that BEGUN manufacturing in March have the upgraded brakes so those could well be April by the time they are dispatched.
I'm not sure, perhaps some March cars have it and some don't. Or maybe my car has the upgraded brakes up the pedal is spongy. Nonetheless the new brake kit is being put so my issue will be resolved.
Btw- What air pressure do you guys maintain for a comfortable ride?

Last edited by Rehaan : 21st April 2010 at 13:04. Reason: Video from earlier post removed.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 13:05   #500
Team-BHP Support

Guys, there is another thread on brake upgrades - would be good if you could put in some details there as well.

>> LINK <<

cya
R

@ Sahil - Any chance of detailed before / after pics?
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 14:07   #501
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

@ Sahil - Any chance of detailed before / after pics?
Sorry won't be going down to the service center myself hence no pics possible. Besides they do not let you go into the workshop. However I did look at the brakes and from the outside it looks the same as the upgrade kit.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 16:18   #502
Senior - BHPian

Since this thread seemed to be "One Stop Shop" for all TBHP Fortuners, I thought of posting my question here:

Are there any Fortuners currently doing Leh/planning do to Leh this year? I guess the performance data gathered from such a trip would be an eye opener.

Also, I have seen road tests mentioning a highway mileage of around 12.5kmpl. Is that in tune with what we at TBHP have been getting with the ac on? At what speeds?
n.devdath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2010, 16:41   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Are there any Fortuners currently doing Leh/planning do to Leh this year? I guess the performance data gathered from such a trip would be an eye opener.
I understand from Anshuman that he is planning such a trip & I, for one, am awaiting his detailed experience.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2010, 00:59   #504
Senior - BHPian

Booked a Mica Grey Fortuner today at Nandi Toyota, Hosur Road. Was considering the GV and the Fortuner. Had almost decided on the 2.4L Vitara, but changed my mind after a second test drive of the Fortuner, and after reading through tons of threads about Fortuner on various (including international) forums.

If it were a solo decision, I might still have gone for the Vitara (my head said Fortuner, heart said Vitara), but wife clearly preferred the Fortuner.
The way I look at it, Fortuner vs. the GV:

The Pluses:
*Reliability and build quality (same spec South African Fortuners are in hot demand even after running 1L+ km)
*I can fit my dogs if I take out the 3rd row
*Loved the torque delivery – overtaking is a breeze.
*Higher ground clearance, breakover/departure angle, and wading depth (700 mm for Fortuner, ~ 500 mm for the GV)
*I am assuming that service reach won’t be a factor, give Toyota’s (and Fortuner’s) reputation for quality.
*I currently drive an SX4 ZXI. Given its GC, it can probably do 60-70%+ of what the GV can do in my hands (I have no interest in rock crawling or extreme offroading – and I can cover Leh/Sikkim etc. + most bad roads in the Sx4). So paying 20L+ for another 5 seater that has a small cargo hold and just 10mm of GC increase (leaving aside the 4X4 advantage) was difficult to sell to my wife.

The Minuses – mainly related to handling:
*The GV behaves like a sedan within the city – so daily commute to office will be a breeze. Will have to be extra careful, and spend more time commuting in the Fortuner.
*Lighter weight means better performance in mud and snow (I plan to make multiple trips to the Himalayas)
*Fortuner braking (the GV has great brakes)
*Body roll – I was (am still) a bit concerned about this after my test drives, and also after reading Fortuner - Handling Safety Issues - SA 4x4 Community Forum - The only forum for the offroad and 4x4 enthusiast - the previous version of Fortuner had multiple instances of rolling over, especially on dirt tracks/gravel. Apparently Toyota fixed this by adding VSC (vehicle stability control) and better tyres, but the Indian Fortuner doesn’t say anything about VSC. I guess I will just have to change my driving style...which I wouldn’t have had to if I had gone for the GV (loved the way it was steady at 150kmph on NICE Road).
*The 2nd row middle seat is not comfortable. But this can be solved (somewhat) by adding some foam when I upgrade the seat covers.

Btw, with a 7 year time horizon, GV’s TCO is less than the Fortuner’s (as per my calculation) – so the Petrol vs. Diesel factor was not so important.

In the end, the Fortuner won after a tough fight - almost a photo finish (in the Excel model that I had created with parameters +weighted averages, the scores were almost equal). Hopefully it won the war and not just the battle – else the GV keeda will again surface during the 6 months waiting period.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 11th July 2010 at 01:04. Reason: formatting
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 22:08   #505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
in the Excel model that I had created with parameters +weighted averages, the scores were almost equal
Would you mind sharing the excel sheet on the forum? Thanks.
sbraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2010, 14:35   #506
Senior - BHPian

I spoke to Toyota today (their corporate office number is 080-66553300) to enquire about VSC in the Indian version of Fortuner. They said that the Indian version comes only with ABS and airbags in terms of safety features. Why???? Toyota was forced to add VSC to the South African Fortuner after many reports of roll-over even at 60 kmph, and for failing the 'moose test' i.e. emergency maneuvers on a proper road at 60 kmph - typically done to avoid someone/something that suddenly comes in front.

This essentially means that Fortuner can very well rollover even in city conditions say when is traveling at 60 kmph on a relatively empty road, and some stupid pedestrian standing on the divider suddenly tries to cross the road without checking for traffic.

First bad brakes, now no VSC. Are Indian lives not worth saving with standard safety features - available in other countries - even after paying 23L+ on the road for a Fortuner?

Fortuner owners or potential owners in Team BHP, do you think we can use our collective leverage to inform others about this and to push Toyota to add these safety features that are available to Fortuner buyers in rest of the world? We don't want to wait for many damaging and potentially fatal rollover incidents before Toyota finally wakes up.
nilanjanray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2010, 10:52   #507
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Toyota was forced to add VSC to the South African Fortuner after many reports of roll-over even at 60 kmph, and for failing the 'moose test' i.e. emergency maneuvers on a proper road at 60 kmph - typically done to avoid someone/something that suddenly comes in front.
I'm not surprised. Considering that many are upgrading to the Fortuner from an underpowered MUV (Bolero, Tavera, Innova), the SUV needs all the driving aids it can get. Unskilled driver + 169 BHP + tall center of gravity + poor brakes = Disaster.

Toyota has shown poor corporate responsibility with the Fortuner's original specs. Even the recent brake upgrades were only *selective* (translated, those customers who complained got an upgrade, not all).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2010, 11:11   #508
BHPian

I have been tracking the various Fortuner experiences here and found great insights.
It appears to me the top negatives are no disc brakes for the rear wheels, body roll/stability and not great audio speakers. I am excluding Innova like interiors as neither good nor bad and a subjective thing. Personally, I find Innova interiors great.

I like GTO's summary "Unskilled driver + 169 BHP + tall center of gravity + poor brakes = Disaster."

Taking from this expression, what might work for me, "be a learning and thinking driver" + 169BHP + tall center of gravity + replace rear wheels with disc brakes = enjoy fortuner (throw in better speakers as part of the equation)

The thread on 4x4 driving and the XJ experiences with steep descents, going over gullies and mud plus all tell me something about driver temparament, besides of course, skill and judgement. I am begining to think, as I am warming up to the idea of moving from a wagonR to fortuner, that I am more of a SUV type. I should be able to learn my lessons, and enjoy it too.

I was told the Fortuner bookings are likely to close on 20th July. I have been sitting on the fence. Maybe I will book this time round! Of course, will take tips from TBHP to do due diligence - test drive, etc.
dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 11:46   #509
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Taking from this expression, what might work for me, "be a learning and thinking driver" + 169BHP + tall center of gravity + replace rear wheels with disc brakes = enjoy fortuner (throw in better speakers as part of the equation)
The Fortuner's upgraded braking system is supposedly better. Don't waste your time with aftermarket drum -> disc conversions.

Know the Fortuner's limits (just as with any SUV) and you'll be safe. Don't drive it like a sedan or hatchback.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2010, 12:38   #510
BHPian

Thumbs up Cheers to the fortunate!

Dear Friends, after having gone through this thread and after my Dad has seen the vehicle in flesh, we are booking for the Fortuner on monday at Lanson Toyota (Chennai). We have asked for the White (and with a fancy number hopefully). Unfortunately for us, Anamalais Toyota (Coimbatore region) have closed thier bookings. We have been asked to pay 1L as deposit and I have asked my cousin to find out if it is refundable. I have been held in Dubai and will only be able to reach down in February of 2011 which is the scheduled time of the Fortuner's delivery. Thats a long way off, and the waiting is kind of odd.

Just one clarification pals, the deposit I am going to pay, is it a demand by Toyota Kirloskar or the dealer? Will I earn an interest on the deposit since the waiting time is huge (the Nano way)? Will I be able to get a better deal with Harsha Toyota since they are a new dealer?

And similar to what GTO has said, the Fortuner though a huge beautiful vehicle, will depend largely on the driver's skills as opposed to a sedan. But I am not saying a novice could be an expert on a sedan, it's just the level of competency. Just my two bit.

Cheers
Champion!
Champion is offline   Reply With Quote