Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th January 2011, 21:38   #661
BHPian

Default re: Review: 1st-gen Toyota Fortuner

Parm, the gear knob is missing in the picture* that you had shot from Kuwait. Seriously, I didn't expect this from Toyota.

Here is the link to the pic I'm referring to : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...6012011273.jpg

EDIT : The rotary controls of the AC is also missing!!
Surviving Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2011, 21:45   #662
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surviving Brain View Post
Parm, the gear knob is missing in the picture* that you had shot from Kuwait. Seriously, I didn't expect this from Toyota.

Here is the link to the pic I'm referring to : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...6012011273.jpg

EDIT : The rotary controls of the AC is also missing!!
You wont believe this>

the gear knob and other switches have been removed from the vehicles because the local people steal them from the vehicles put on display in the showrooms!

yes thats true!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 12:55   #663
Distinguished - BHPian

Toyota has been running full and half page ads in the English dailies. Looks like the assembly line is freeing up. The 15 to 20 Lakh SUV/CUV landscape is changing with the launch of Yeti, Aria, Santa Fe and impending Launch of Mahindra W201, Merlin, etc.

Hopefully this will encourage Toyota to offer more kit in the Fortuner.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 13:26   #664
Distinguished - BHPian

The reason being the second plant being operational, the Corolla Altis production is shifted to the second and has freed up the assembly line to an extent in the first plant.

Etios production is also being ramped up, currently only one shift production is underway, from March onwards, it would be 2 shift production. This might be the reason for the waiting periods getting reduced for the Etios.
nkrishnap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2011, 23:37   #665
BHPian

Its true that the ads have been coming in a few English dailies with the 'Bookings Open' tag line, however i did book one a few days back and in the Booking Acceptance form the sales person did fill in 90 days as the probable time for delivery. May be Toyota / Dealers are trying to maintain the facade of high demand. I personally did not inquire too closely as i am looking at picking up the vehicle only in April. Would be great if by this time a few of the changes that you all have speculated here do come true. I was however told that there was a price revision being looked at due to higher input cost of material.

regards,

Manmohan.
manmohanmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 17:33   #666
Senior - BHPian

Just spoke to the SE, he indicated that he could deliver in 2 weeks. Now need to get the $$$ ready
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 22:46   #667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manmohanmaan View Post
I was however told that there was a price revision being looked at due to higher input cost of material.
They just effected a price revision in jan11/dec10 end and its onroad price in Bangalore is Rs.24,66,681/- I am assuming that is the price you booked at. From your info, is this price likely to go up again in a few months?!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Just spoke to the SE, he indicated that he could deliver in 2 weeks. Now need to get the $$$ ready
I wonder if they are clearing the imported stock in a hurry before Mar31 and then bring in the new version like Parm indicated. Appears logical to me given that its mostly imported. Or like ACM and others suggested, the demand is tapering off!

@ACM, OT here...finally, I saw 2 Arias on the road in the last week alone. One Sardinia Red (oddly, stalled on the elevated tollway in Bangalore). The other a white one with a TN plate.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 5th February 2011 at 23:41. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts within 20 minutes. Thanks.
dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 13:12   #668
BHPian

[quote=dhuli;2234521]They just effected a price revision in jan11/dec10 end and its onroad price in Bangalore is Rs.24,66,681/- I am assuming that is the price you booked at. From your info, is this price likely to go up again in a few months?!!!

I was informed of a price hike in and around the financial year end, so your prediction may come true in that, come April there may be a price hike with a Fortuner Mark 2 on offer.
manmohanmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2011, 01:32   #669
BHPian

[quote=manmohanmaan;2234895]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
I was informed of a price hike in and around the financial year end, so your prediction may come true in that, come April there may be a price hike with a Fortuner Mark 2 on offer.
Any such news doing rounds? And is there any news on the fortuner AT coming out anytime soon?

advice. Might take the plunge for one really soon (1-2 weeks) so any recent news about the AT / refresh is welcome

Regards
beanstalk_230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 12:57   #670
BHPian

^^

Just got off the phone with my sales exec with whom I've booked my fortuner.
He says that so far Toyota has not announced any price hike for the month of April.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, it stays the same until I get my car delivered.

The dealership is also unaware of a so called Fortuner "Mark II".
Monaro CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 18:07   #671
Senior - BHPian

I just came back from a longish (20km) test drive of the Toyota Fortuner.

Having owned a Safari, that was the obvious benchmark for me and all my obervations here are from the driver's seat only.

Driving Position- the Safari beats the Fort hands down, be it the commanding view, the view of the extremeties of the vehicle or seat comfort. The Fort is not bad, but the Safari is better.

When I started the car, the first thing that stuck me was the oscillation of the gear lever and the vibrations coming thru it- too much for my liking. While on this, a word about the gear lever itself- it seems to be a straight lift from the Qualis with a loooong stem, and long throws. the gear change itself was fairly smooth and positive but the length of the gear lever made frequent changes cumbersome.

Released the clutch and built up the revs and the beast took off pretty smartly- great engine and good low end torque- however, those VIBRATIONS!!!! i could now feel them thru the steering wheel, the seat and of course, the gear lever.

i built up some momentum on the JVLR road next to Powai and suddenly encountered traffic- no problems, just hit the anchors- and thats when I got a scare! the brake pedal had so much play and the brakes took an eternity to bite. I almost rearended an Innova!! Now I had heard about the brakes of the Fort, but this was ridiculous,. Seriously, I used to crib about the Safari's brakes, but believe me, they were better, and that is saying something!

The interior layout was quite familiar since it is almost a copy of the Innova- good consistent fit and finish and even panel gaps, but the quality of material on the dast looked and felt quite cheap.

I took a couple of sweepers at around 80KPH and body roll was quite stable and under control- so that inspried confidence. but the flip side is that the ride is very bouncy and trashy- again I am comparing it to the Safari, which has a better ride but the Fort's handling is decidedly better.

then came the shocker- an OTR Mumbai just shy of 26 big ones (company regn.)

Now, the fortuner is not a bad SUV, but IMHO 9and no offence to Fort owners here) it is ridiculously overpriced for what it offers. For half the price, a Safari VX gives you pretty much everything a fortuner does with about 80% quality levels. (and I hear that the Merlin should close this gap even more)

So i have decided against the Fortuner- it is simply not worth what they are asking for it. OTR around 15-17 L and I would have booked one today

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 21st April 2011 at 18:10.
himanshugoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 21:35   #672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
So i have decided against the Fortuner- it is simply not worth what they are asking for it. OTR around 15-17 L and I would have booked one today
Ditto here! I did 3 test drives of Fortuner. The last one was a back to back comparison with Innova (7 str). My family felt Innova was more fun and felt roomier and safer too. I share your view that the Fortuner is a great vehicle overall, but too pricey for me! Settled on the Innova. Now am enjoying it! That was in Feb. And yes, I still need to get that ownership report out!!

But ask me what am I doing still following the Fortuner thread

Love its looks. I admire even this day when the Fort is sighted.
dhuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2011, 22:17   #673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
^^

Just got off the phone with my sales exec with whom I've booked my fortuner.
He says that so far Toyota has not announced any price hike for the month of April.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, it stays the same until I get my car delivered.

The dealership is also unaware of a so called Fortuner "Mark II".
They hiked the prices by 20K or so effective April one. I hear of another "adjustment' coming and the production line is already slowed due to the quake in Japan.
zipperone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 11:17   #674
BHPian

@Himanshu: I (my family) own a fortuner for 10 months now and I totally agree to your point of view. I had tonnes of expectations from it, but when you realise that at half price, you get almost everything fortuner has to offer, you realize how drastically overpriced fortuner is. But its an import and the badge etc etc...
I think this is my first post ? (hi everybody )sorry I am very disappointed with fortuner. I have not owned any suv in the past, so got no benchmark. But for 22 lakhs (in kolkata) I am sure we can have a better package, that includes same or even higher quality and luxury.
lambodara is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 13:09   #675
Senior - BHPian

Lambodara,

Sorry to hear that you are disappointed. I have had my Fortuner for 8 months, and am loving it. BUT, I knew what I was buying, and did extensive test drives, so had no misconceptions e.g. regarding ride, handling, brakes, interiors etc.

Unless you are clear about what you want in an SUV and use the Fortuner the way it is meant to be used, Fortuner can be a disappointment.
nilanjanray is online now   Reply With Quote