Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th November 2009, 14:21   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
Yep! I agree. Hope maruti learns a lesson from this and offers more equipment on the diesel variants.
Infact, i20 has outsold Ritz by around 100 units. Maruti must truly be wondering how things went wrong!

Maruti should really learn from the success of i10 and i20 and take their quality forward + offer better equipment for diesel versions!

Will drop by sometime. Thanks.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 21:55   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Infact, i20 has outsold Ritz by around 100 units. Maruti must truly be wondering how things went wrong!

Maruti should really learn from the success of i10 and i20 and take their quality forward + offer better equipment for diesel versions!

Will drop by sometime. Thanks.
They can start with doing something about rattles, inefficient a.s.s people, oh and that sexy rear of Ritz.

i20 looks great in black, blue, white.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2009, 23:10   #138
BHPian

Hi how could u manage to get a milage of about 21 kmpl. i never got more than 16 kmpl overall milage on my i20 crdi asta option. please give me some tips on getting better milage. did u drive with the ac on. what was the speed limit that u maintained.

someone please suggest how will a white i20 with sunroof will look if the roof is blackened with matt finish paper.
patil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 14:55   #139
Senior - BHPian

Default A few queries on i20 CRDI

Guys, I have a friend's I 20 CRDI for the past week and have taken it to office twice so far. He is away abroad for a 2 week trip.
I've driven only petrol cars for the past 2 decades, so I have a few questions:-
  1. When I slow down in 3rd gear due to city traffic, I notice the tacho falling below 1 K mark, but still the car moves and does not knock. Is it a good practice to downshift to make the rpm go above 1 K? Will it affect the FE?
  2. My pal has left his USB attachd to the ICE, but I could not figure out how to change to a different folder on the system. The manaul is not with me.
  3. I find some rattling sounds from ther rear and I think the tyres are over-inflated. What is the correct tyre pressure?
  4. I don't find the stock lights to be bright---at least my Fiesta has better lights. What do others feel?
  5. When I put the AC in auto mode, it goes into fresh air and the cooling drops. But when I press the recirculate button, it improves. But I am unable to get rid of that 'Auto' display on the dash. If I press the 'Off' button below the 'Auto' button, the darn AC switches off! Any hints?
  6. I don't see any DTE reading---is it not delivered?
Thanks
P.S.--I'd posted the same query in another i20 crdi thread, but got no response so far
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 15:41   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
  1. My pal has left his USB attachd to the ICE, but I could not figure out how to change to a different folder on the system. The manaul is not with me.
  2. I find some rattling sounds from ther rear and I think the tyres are over-inflated. What is the correct tyre pressure?
  3. I don't find the stock lights to be bright---at least my Fiesta has better lights. What do others feel?
  4. When I put the AC in auto mode, it goes into fresh air and the cooling drops. But when I press the recirculate button, it improves. But I am unable to get rid of that 'Auto' display on the dash. If I press the 'Off' button below the 'Auto' button, the darn AC switches off! Any hints?
  5. I don't see any DTE reading---is it not delivered?
1&4
My Roadrunner is here!! i20 CRDi Asta(O) EDIT: 20,000kms Update-stereo.jpg

2. When not in full load keep the front tyre pressure and rear at 30psi when in full load change the back tire pressure to 33 psi.
3. i20 Headlights are a big let down while driving at night.
5. No DTE reading in i20
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 17:01   #141
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Wildon--that was a real good pic indeed!

Any inputs on my point # 1--regarding downshifting vs lugging in 3rd gear?
Old 18th November 2009, 20:19   #142
Senior - BHPian

I do own a petrol one so don't know how it behaves.
But in petrol model you need to down shift as you feel that the power is not adequate to pull further.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2009, 20:22   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
I do own a petrol one so don't know how it behaves.
But in petrol model you need to down shift as you feel that the power is not adequate to pull further.
Thanks anyways. Waiting for dieselheads to respond!!
Old 20th November 2009, 11:57   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[*]When I slow down in 3rd gear due to city traffic, I notice the tacho falling below 1 K mark, but still the car moves and does not knock. Is it a good practice to downshift to make the rpm go above 1 K? Will it affect the FE?
If you do not need to accelerate, and just cruising is needed, its fine to let it do so. Once u leave the accelerator, the anti stall feature ensures that the car has enough RPm to keep moving.

[
Quote:
*]My pal has left his USB attachd to the ICE, but I could not figure out how to change to a different folder on the system. The manaul is not with me.
As Wildon has said, use the FLDR up and down button to navigate through the folders, On the display, above the song name, the folder will be mentioned in smaller font. You can rotate the right knob to navigate through songs too.

Quote:
[*]I find some rattling sounds from ther rear and I think the tyres are over-inflated. What is the correct tyre pressure?
I keep 30. The rattle could be the rear disc calliper, is it from the left side?

[
Quote:
*]I don't find the stock lights to be bright---at least my Fiesta has better lights. What do others feel?
The stock headlights are not too great, especially when compared with the fiesta. i have both the cars, so i know what you are feeling.

Quote:
[*]When I put the AC in auto mode, it goes into fresh air and the cooling drops. But when I press the recirculate button, it improves. But I am unable to get rid of that 'Auto' display on the dash. If I press the 'Off' button below the 'Auto' button, the darn AC switches off! Any hints?
Once you press the auto mode, it'll go to fresh air mode. U have to manually put it to recirculate. If you want to exit auto, just adjust the fan speed, woth the right knob.

The best way to use the AC is to pu it into auto, recirc once, then adjust the temperature. The lesser the temp setting, the more the fan speed.

Quote:
[*]I don't see any DTE reading---is it not delivered?[/list]Thanks
P.S.--I'd posted the same query in another i20 crdi thread, but got no response so far
Unfortunately, the DTE has been eliminated in the Indian version of the i20.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2009, 13:00   #145
Senior - BHPian

Thanks JayD, esp for your hints on folder change and cruising in 3rd gear. Wildon had already clarified some points.

The rattle from the left rear is gone---perhaps the door was not shut tight, but I am not sure how it vanished.

I've covered 125 kms so far in the past two weeks, and am now 'tuned' to driving a diesel, which I'd never done this far, except a Jeep
Old 21st November 2009, 14:59   #146
Senior - BHPian

By the way guys, are you aware of a potential danger zone for kids---the corner of the dashboard and the left door have no gap at all, and my nephew's finger almost got crushed when he was closing the door. Luckily nothing much happened except a minute of crying by the poor kid.

I was wondering how he could be so careless as his dad owns a car. But out of curiosity I checked my WagonR and found that there is sufficient gap at that spot to avoid such accidents.

Thought of keeping you guys aware, so that you can ask your kids to take care.

Here is a pic of that corner in the i20 with the door slightly ajar:

My Roadrunner is here!! i20 CRDi Asta(O) EDIT: 20,000kms Update-i20dash_paint-large.jpg

Note the gap between the corner of the dash and the door---it becomes zero when you close the door.
PS--My laptop crashed on Saturday, so I could not post it till now.

Last edited by Dippy : 15th March 2010 at 13:59. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 15th December 2009, 10:21   #147
BHPian

Very true . Unfortunately, I experienced this last week when my son had his hand in the similar location and the door was closed. Luckly this area is not completely metal and some cushioning saved extensive damage. But definitely a thing to watch out for when you have kids in the front seat.

Quote:
Attachment 233102

Note the gap between the corner of the dash and the door---it becomes zero when you close the door.
PS--My laptop crashed on Saturday, so I could not post it till now.
dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2009, 13:14   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash View Post
Very true . Unfortunately, I experienced this last week when my son had his hand in the similar location and the door was closed. Luckly this area is not completely metal and some cushioning saved extensive damage. But definitely a thing to watch out for when you have kids in the front seat.
Sorry to hear that---the poor kid must have really got hurt.

Out of curiosity, I checked the gap in my Fiesta, and found it to be narrower than the WagonR, but not non-existant as in the I-20.
We gotta keep our kids informed about that danger spot.
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:34   #149
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE!

The car completed 5K kms a month back, and is now around 5.5k. Got the oil and oil filter changed at 4900. Total cost came up to about 1200 Rs.

Meanwhile, i had my headlights changed once, due to formation of some markds inside them, the replacement lamp was worse, so they replaced it agan. now its fine. (touchwood)

I've also upgraded the headlights to philips bluevision 100/90's and the horns to Roots windtones. Both of these have been done by using specific wiring harnesses and relays, so that no cutting of stock wiring is needed.

Btw, i read somewhere on the forum that the auto lock (speed sensitive) can be enabled on the car, any pointers on how to do it?

@vnabhi, thanks for the info! Had not noticed this till now. Anyways, there are no kids to sit in front, so i guess its safe for now!

Last edited by Jaggu : 16th January 2010 at 23:50. Reason: Back to back posts, use Multi Quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 01:05   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
@vnabhi, thanks for the info! Had not noticed this till now. Anyways, there are no kids to sit in front, so i guess its safe for now!
You're welcome, JayD. I just wanted to caution other owners based on my experience. Since yours was one of the most widely-read threads, I posted the pic there.